Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 4A - euro 179 on Vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

100off port offer on the way..looks Like a dodgy website update pushed early !

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Was showing €0.00 just now 😄..gave it a go but when got to basket got error messages.

shambles of a site but I did manage to get the 3a last time from here.

Have the 4a myself and 279 is great price if can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

100off port offer on the way..looks Like a dodgy website update pushed early !

So you reckon it will be available for €179 shortly? I ordered a free sim from 48 that I can use to port the number, is that generally what people have done previously?

Skuxx wrote: »
    So you reckon it will be available for €179 shortly? I ordered a free sim from 48 that I can use to port the number, is that generally what people have done previously?

To me it's more likely that the website designer left in some code from when the phone was €100 off in February but at a more expensive price.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/offers.html

nrtWvQ3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ordered 2 a week ago and 1 just reverted on Revolut, other still pending on bank account. Website is very bad and no confirmation emails on delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I was on with there chat and calls yesterday as I was getting this error and trying to get the phone for the 179, it was a non flyer from the start tbh basically a website glitch from previous offers as said above.

picked it up at 279, went to dispatched a half hour later and an post saying delivered today so will see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Sappy404

recyclops wrote: »
    I was on with there chat and calls yesterday as I was getting this error and trying to get the phone for the 179, it was a non flyer from the start tbh basically a website glitch from previous offers as said above.

picked it up at 279, went to dispatched a half hour later and an post saying delivered today so will see how that goes

Yeah for all the shambolic websites and customer service, one positive thing you can say about them is the incredibly quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Is there any way to purchase it without being a vodafone customer and signing up to one of the pay monthly packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

manlad wrote: »
    Is there any way to purchase it without being a vodafone customer and signing up to one of the pay monthly packages?

The 279 is the pay as you go price. No contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Seems like you have to top at least once? So €300?

Scratch that. Topping up is a separate transaction. €280 is a good price for this if the 3a is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I'm a Three customer. So this phone is unlocked, and will work OK out of the box if I simply insert my Three sim card?

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I'm a Three customer. So this phone is unlocked, and will work OK out of the box if I simply insert my Three sim card?

It did with the 3A. People here saying it's unlocked so I presume it's the same here.

already arrived, less than 24 hours, impressed tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Flashed at 179 for me this morning. As soon as I went to order it went back to 279. I assume its an error on the site. Might be something to do with cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was on the site yesterday. SAw it at 279, and then it dropped to 179. Tried to buy it and it dropped to -€100 for some reason. I got the impression it was for locking people into 12 month contracts. I wouldn't let me add to basket until i logged in with another persons account.
    I'm hoping to buy a phone today. Hoping to grab it for the 179, but 279 is still decent if its a typo.

long_b wrote: »
    The 279 is the pay as you go price. No contract.

Seems that you can't add it to the cart without choosing one of the monthly packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭joficeduns1

Pulled the trigger on it this morning. I was considering the phone anyway, I'm due an upgrade from the Xiaomi which will be the backup phone now. Thanks for the heads up on the deal.

Seems that you can't add it to the cart without choosing one of the monthly packages.

I thought that too but when you go right through to checkout, it's still only €280. I think you just choose your package but still need to top up with €20 to activate it, if you're using the Vodafone sim. Otherwise just stick your own in.

Are any of the shops open for click and collect? Tried calling the local one twice this morning and no answer. Assume they're closed so will try home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Views on how this matches up against the Poco F3?

• Advertisement

Poco F3 is better in every way, by the looks of it:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10758&idPhone2=10123

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Poco F3 is better in every way, by the looks of it:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10758&idPhone2=10123

I'd take the Pixel camera ahead of the Poco camera all day long and that's one of the big reasons for buying a Pixel. Spec sheets are great on paper but in real world use for most people these days there won't be a huge difference in performance

like all modern day phones the poco is too big for myself, really wish someone would tackle the compact market without being ridiculously over priced, it seems 6.5 is the standard phone size and its ridiculous

I dont see the Poco F3 on dxomark:
    https://www.dxomark.com/rankings/#smartphones

But ye, the camera on the Pixels is great. For reference, the 4a is better than the Huawei P20 Pro, and on par with the OnePlus 8T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fair play if you got it for 179. I have this and it's a brilliant little phone. Previously had the P20 Pro, before that a Redmi, but my dainty hands needed something smaller.
    The camera on the Pixel is absolutely brilliant, my partner has a new Xiaomi but the Pixel is much better. No idea what magical AI and software Google are using but the camera is something else, no need for all those additional lens. Otherwise the size is great and can be used with one hand. I would say that the P20 long exposure night mode is better, but I rarely if ever used that as you'd be needing a tripod and I ain't got no time for that. Nonetheless handheld night photos on the Pixel are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

The_B_Man wrote: »

But ye, the camera on the Pixels is great. For reference, the 4a is better than the Huawei P20 Pro, and on par with the OnePlus 8T.

I had the Huawei P20 Pro which for me was the 1st camera that was really exceptional. Wife then got Pixel 3A and instantly I preferred the picture quality, especially for portrait type photos of our kids (which is most of my photo's).
    I then upgraded to the P30 Pro and I've been underwhelmed with the camera (at least compared to Pixel 3A).

So definitely considering buying the 4A. Also the fact that it will continue to get free storage of high quality photos on google photos after June, when google start charging for storage is another big plus.

Anyone have issues completing purchase? after I enter my card details and process it crashed and then takes me to a 'this can't be found' site. I don't want to try it too many times incase it processes the card payment each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Anyone have issues completing purchase? after I enter my card details and process it crashed and then takes me to a 'this can't be found' site. I don't want to try it too many times incase it processes the card payment each time.

Welcome to vodafone.ie, the single worst commerce website on the planet. IT IS AWFUL

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Wheety wrote: »
    It did with the 3A. People here saying it's unlocked so I presume it's the same here.

So we don't actually know if it's unlocked or not for sure? I'd like to buy this phone, but only if I know it'll work without a Vodafone sim.

• Advertisement

Just bought it there for €279. For the first first time in my life, I was actually able to buy something off the Vodafone site without hassle. I got payment completed first time, and I got an order number (although I'm still awaiting email confirmation).
    Now it did have the usual visual bugs, giving me wildly different prices, but underneath it all, it actually worked! :p

Advertisement