Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 4A - euro 179 on Vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Has anybody who has this phone managed to get wifi calling working on eir or Gomo?

Recently bought one for the missus but can't seem to get wifi calling working on it. Also tried a Vodafone Sim and no luck there either?

WiFi calling is not on GOMO and only.on certain bill pay plans with eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a current thread on Gomo WiFi - I think there is a new plan for it.

Not your ornery onager

No longer marked out of stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Badly fukt wrote: »
    No longer marked out of stock

Out of stock again! I just about got an order in for one but as it is now out of stock, I reckon there's a more than decent chance that Vodafone will cancel it. What a dog of a website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

Order placed last yesterday evening just before the out of stock sign went up, received my dispatched notice this morning. Feeling better but not counting my chickens!
    Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Has anybody who has this phone managed to get wifi calling working on eir or Gomo?

Recently bought one for the missus but can't seem to get wifi calling working on it. Also tried a Vodafone Sim and no luck there either?

Wifi calling is only available on certain Android phones on Eir network - of which Google is not one. Without getting into the detail, carrier settings are required on an Android handset firmware in order for it to work. i.e. you would need Firmware to be upgraded to support it and Eir do not support Googles. Typically it will only work for those phone available in the Eir shop such as Samsung.

TLDR - If you need Wifi calling with Eir, you need to buy phone off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

wassie wrote: »
    Order placed last yesterday evening just before the out of stock sign went up, received my dispatched notice this morning. Feeling better but not counting my chickens!
    If you received the dispatch email you'll be ok.

Do people want Wifi calling for calling landlines? Because if it's another mobile, why not just WhatsApp or one of the many apps like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Just ordered with code on first go, MasterCard credit card on mobile version of site. Error popped up for half a second after clicking pay but it went through and got email. I'm on 48 tho.

Arrived this morning. Setting up now. Thanks to OP and whoever sourced the Irish life code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wheety wrote: »
    If you received the dispatch email you'll be ok.

Do people want Wifi calling for calling landlines? Because if it's another mobile, why not just WhatsApp or one of the many apps like it?

If you have Wi-fi calling, if someone rings you (normally, not WhatsApp) and your coverage is poor, Wi-fi essentially kicks in and the phone will still be able to route the call to you.

You can also make calls as if you have phone coverage even if you don't (again, not WhatsApp).

That's my understanding of it anyway, haven't used it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

Thats the basic principle and how it is marketed. The reality is that it is actually a multi-layered technology that is quite complex in its operation. Even how your own home network is setup can affect it's operation.

Great article here
    by Luke Kehoe that explains the situation in Ireland. Its nearly 2 years old so some of the information is a little dated in relation to Eir's network. That being said whilst they have undertaken significant investment in their network since the article was published, they are still a long way behind VF & 3 (referring to the article).

Also mobile phone reception these days is reduced particularly in newer homes due to more energy efficient construction. Insulated walls & roof can often restrict signals internally when there is full coverage outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭The lips

What are folks doing for a decent cover and screen protector? I am after something with a slim form factor, amazon.Co.Uk is limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Life is so simple for Voda customer care folks !

There was some bug in the system because of which the order was not accepted and processed by the system which resulted in cancellation of the order. However; I can confirm that the issue has been sorted and you can place a new order and it won't be canceled this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Life is so simple for Voda customer care folks !

There was some bug in the system because of which the order was not accepted and processed by the system which resulted in cancellation of the order. However; I can confirm that the issue has been sorted and you can place a new order and it won't be canceled this time.

Did you get a successful order in?

dan786 wrote: »
    Did you get a successful order in?

lol no ! all cancelled....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Mine just arrived, cheers OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

The lips wrote: »
    What are folks doing for a decent cover and screen protector? I am after something with a slim form factor, amazon.Co.Uk is limited

Amazon.de does Spigen covers. My Rugged Armour one literally just arrived and it's very snug but still feels like protection. Only €9 or so too and they had offers on screen protectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Amazon.de does Spigen covers. My Rugged Armour one literally just arrived and it's very snug but still feels like protection. Only €9 or so too and they had offers on screen protectors.

Delivery from Amazon.de nearly doubles the price - all I can see is €7.50 delivery. Even when I trialled Prime membership on Amazon.de, delivery was only included in Prime for destinations within Germany...

On the plus side, Amazon.co.uk are still taking off the VAT for items less than around £20 so if you still have Prime, you can get a good deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

fast_eddie wrote: »
    Delivery from Amazon.de nearly doubles the price - all I can see is €7.50 delivery. Even when I trialled Prime membership on Amazon.de, delivery was only included in Prime for destinations within Germany...

On the plus side, Amazon.co.uk are still taking off the VAT for items less than around £20 so if you still have Prime, you can get a good deal...

True, but the overall price including delivery is still reasonable for a good phone cover and whatever else you purchase. The .co.uk options were poor for me anyway.

My cover arrived today from Amazon but I haven't been able to order the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I hate you Vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

I have had 1 order go through and received and 3 cancelled!

I have been onto Vodafone numerous times but it is like hitting your head against a brick wall and paying €179 for each headbutt and hoping that the €179 comes back to you in a week or two!

It is extremely poor from Vodafone and I think they know it but instead of admitting and owning up they are covering arses and hiding...

not sure if Vodafone had in mind 1 person buying 4 phones with a discount meant for health insurance provider members.

glasso wrote: »
    not sure if Vodafone had in mind 1 person buying 4 phones with a discount meant for health insurance provider members.

Exactly this ! I have never had any issues with them as a broadband customer and bill pay mobile user....

Think it like a lotto ! If you win great, but in this lotto you dont pay anything to lose !

They should have made unique codes then. I've had 5 orders and all were cancelled.

This offer will go up on the site as a switching offer soon enough anyway. The same thing will happen again with orders being cancelled.

Apologies on attempting to benefit from your misery but let me know if you need to offload a cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Which cover did you order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

I will actually, I mean for real, not pretend, move my number back to vodafone if they do the pixel 4a for 179 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Just to put salt on the wound of some, second order arrived without issue today, almost Amazon like service in terms of order/delivery.

Two phones using the IL code and same payment method.
    One with new number for herself, one with upgrade number for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

I went into the shop at monread road naas, and lo and behold , they had a 4a, but wanted full price or to sign up to billpay for 60 a month to get it for free. (24 x 60 = too much for a phone like this) . So instead i was going for the TCL 10L. Gave the guy my number , but as he was clearly new he kept refering to this weapon who was so aggressive to me i left in the end.
    So now they have ported my number over, but it is not working. Thanks Vodafone.
    That guy seemed nice but i reckon she took over to 'finish' the order and destroy my number.
    do i have any comeback?

I only wanted to buy 2!

1 for myself and 1 for a family member but I had to place 4 orders to get 1 it seems and now there is hundreds of euro tied up in god knows where waiting for a refund!!!

Oh and just to be clear I am actually a member of the health insurance provider too so this discount was actually sent to me!

• Advertisement

Thousands of euro on hold cause of this thread @Roberto_gas. Are you the hero or the villain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

7 to 10 days and they should release the pre-authorization from your credit/debit card.

If that has not happend then, you can contact your bank and once you have documentation that they canceled the order than your bank should be able to assist you.

I managed to order again this time it went through and I have a confirmation email. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jusvi2001

I managed to order again this time it went through and I have a confirmation email. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled

I got a confirmation email and status was showing 'submitted' after few hours the status changed to ' to be cancelled' . as it was not showing 'cancelled' but 'to be cancelled' i checked with web chat support who told me that there is a technical glitch with stock status and my order will be cancelled eventually even though at the time of the chat, phone was still showing as available for purchase . order was done yesterday. today when i checked the status it is still showing ' to be cancelled'. no way to figure out what exactly going on. good luck with your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I don't know if I have worsened your odds, but I now have 12 with confirmation, all cancelled. None were in place at the same time. Various cards, payment fine, confirmation received. All cancelled 2 to 5 hours later. Why do I keep trying? Statistic gathering for this thread folks!!
    It is a troll within that team I suspect... I'm a Vodafone and Irish Life Health customer..

fmul9798 wrote: »
    I don't know if I have worsened your odds, but I now have 12 with confirmation, all cancelled. None were in place at the same time. Various cards, payment fine, confirmation received. All cancelled 2 to 5 hours later. Why do I keep trying? Statistic gathering for this thread folks!!
    It is a troll within that team I suspect... I'm a Vodafone and Irish Life Health customer..

This has got to lower your health score

Until you get a despatch email with a tracking number you are still 99% sure it is going to get cancelled!

I think what is happening is they only have a limited amount in stock at any one time but their system allows people to order anyway so once the first few orders are taken then all the rest just get cancelled.
    They could just explain this but it seems the Voda CS don't even know what is going on and are just reading from a script that says tell them it is a "rare technical glitch".
    I wish though they would just state the real reason and not hide behind things....

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I could take solace in the rarity of the technical glitch and my 12 for 12 cancellation record. Lotto ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I got a dispatch email with a tracking number that doesn't work, any ideas if I'm one of the lucky ones??

Thousands of euro on hold cause of this thread @Roberto_gas. Are you the hero or the villain?

I am sure its costing vodafone in 1000s cancelling them and refunding..jokers !

• Advertisement

reni10 wrote: »
    Until you get a despatch email with a tracking number you are still 99% sure it is going to get cancelled!

I think what is happening is they only have a limited amount in stock at any one time but their system allows people to order anyway so once the first few orders are taken then all the rest just get cancelled.
    They could just explain this but it seems the Voda CS don't even know what is going on and are just reading from a script that says tell them it is a "rare technical glitch".
    I wish though they would just state the real reason and not hide behind things....

This is it ! See the brighter side

1) people are getting confirmation emails
    2) People can register and see status of orders.

All this was impossible last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Saadyst wrote: »
    I got a dispatch email with a tracking number that doesn't work, any ideas if I'm one of the lucky ones??

You're probably fine so. It was late the following day that my tracking number started to work. I guess it has to somehow get from Vodafone to an anpost depot before the tracking number kicks in or something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Is there a.code to bring it down to 179?

Might give it a try :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

May the force be with you! ;)

VF0013

Good luck, it's a lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hampton

Bought today at 3 pm used my vodafone number at 6 pm received a message on email -
    Thanks for shopping with Vodafone.

Your FREE delivery of your selected purchases will be delivered by An Post.

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Tried the other day for this, no confirmation email.. their twitter said the order was cancelled when I tried again the phone was gone from the site.. just tried there now, order gone through and confirmation email received.. fingers crossed it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Ordered today around 2pm, @€;179. Got a dispatch email at 17:40.

Didn't need it as my Pixel 3a is working fine. Might give it to the OH, for her birthday. Only problem is the Redmi Note 10 pro, already put by for her. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, thanks to the op, for a brilliant bargain :)

My order is now showing a shipping order ID and tracking number on the website. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

What a pig of a website, and horrible buying experience!! I'm on my 3rd order placed with money taken, 1st 2 attempts last weekend eventually turning up cancelled and totally mystifying why / how.
    I gave it 1 last try just now, and for the 1st time actually got an order confirmation email, so here's hoping.

Advertisement