Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homesavers Prices

Options
  • 09-04-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Was in my local branch yesterday I bought a deck chair it was priced 60 sterling Pounds when i got to the check out the assistant charged me 100 euro when I queried the huge difference in the exchange rate I got no satisfaction. Is there any legal obligation to show dual priced in these shops .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

very simple answer is no. no obligation whatsoever. And you are incorrecg in assuming its purey and exchange rate issue. Of course you do need to factor in the cost of importing, higher VAT and higher wages, higher rents and higher energy costs, so its not a sterling to euro conversion. Its a cost of doing business in ROI.

your only recourse is to not purchase the item. The staff member at the till has not input into the pricing of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

Was this a shop in Ireland ONLY displaying a sterling price? If so then they are in breach of price display rules, there is no obligation to show dual prices (nor prohibition) but they must show Euro ones. If they show both the sterling price doesn't have to be a direct conversion (and often won't for the reasons outlined by Xterminator).

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/pricing/price-display-goods/#:~:text=the%20best%20value.-,Can%20shops%20display%20a%20sterling%20price%20in%20Ireland%3F,conversion%20of%20the%20euro%20price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

dam099 wrote: »
    Was this a shop in Ireland ONLY displaying a sterling price? If so then they are in breach of price display rules, there is no obligation to show dual prices (nor prohibition) but they must show Euro ones.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/pricing/price-display-goods/#:~:text=the%20best%20value.-,Can%20shops%20display%20a%20sterling%20price%20in%20Ireland%3F,conversion%20of%20the%20euro%20price.
    No. In homesavers they have signs around the place saying about the sterling prices on products not being valid down south. I wanted a particular item and it was not available in my local homesavers. Was in Northern Ireland yesterday and checked their UK division - B and M Bargains. Not there either, but the prices are not bad Sterling v Euro.

My local store in Tallaght is pretty much spot on with pricing and has most things priced properly. Much better than Mr Price on the same road.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

The Shop was in Ennis Co. Clare The strange thing is they had some items with sterling and Euro but not on the item i Bought it had a sterling price sticker only. Anyway I will just have to be more careful in future . The annoying thing is that this is the second time I have been caught out. I have been to a few other English stores in Ireland and they always had dual pricing

The Shop was in Ennis Co. Clare The strange thing is they had some items with sterling and Euro but not on the item i Bought it had a sterling price sticker only. Anyway I will just have to be more careful in future . The annoying thing is that this is the second time I have been caught out. I have been to a few other English stores in Ireland and they always had dual pricing

The stock comes down from the north. It is UK stock, I assume that is where the sticker is coming from. They should have a euro price displayed on the shelf/pallet, the sticker price is not valid either as an offer, or in consumer terms, they are not even obliged to sell at that price. It is called invitation to treat, look it up.
    When you say this is twice you have been caught out, how were you caught out? Were you expecting to pay a sterling price displayed on a product, even though you are in ROI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was in Northern Ireland yesterday and checked their UK division - B and M Bargains.

Homesavers get a lot of stock from B&M; but they are separate companies.

CCPC may be interested in the lack of Euro pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I genuinely thought If the Shop was in ROI The prices should be in Euro cant imagine a shop in England having Euro Prices I am not the most active shopper to be fair maybe I should get out more often

L1011 wrote: »
    Homesavers get a lot of stock from B&M; but they are separate companies.

CCPC may be interested in the lack of Euro pricing

Indeed, there was a connection but it appears severed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b-amp-m-puts-stock-worth-30m-on-shelves-of-centz-and-home-focus-group-c5cnjwrsg

AIM cash and carry in Ballymount sells a lot of the homesavers stock, but cheaper. It appears to be quite a complicated setup.

I am a member of AIM and buy items in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

I genuinely thought If the Shop was in ROI The prices should be in Euro cant imagine a shop in England having Euro Prices I am not the most active shopper to be fair maybe I should get out more often

Jack and Jones, Zara and several other have about 10 prices on the labels. This includes the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Indeed, there was a connection but it appears severed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b-amp-m-puts-stock-worth-30m-on-shelves-of-centz-and-home-focus-group-c5cnjwrsg

AIM cash and carry in Ballymount sells a lot of the homesavers stock, but cheaper. It appears to be quite a complicated setup.

I am a member of AIM and buy items in both places.

That's nicely baffling. I forgot about the old AIM-Iceland link - a lot of the first set of kitchenware (remember - buy cheap buy twice! Though I do still have the frying pans) when I bought a house was from the giant Homesavers that shared what is now TKMaxx in the Ilac with Iceland.

A lot of the early AIM franchised Icelands closed down whereas it seems to be roaring ahead back under direct Welsh control now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

very simple answer is no. no obligation whatsoever. And you are incorrecg in assuming its purey and exchange rate issue. Of course you do need to factor in the cost of importing, higher VAT and higher wages, higher rents and higher energy costs, so its not a sterling to euro conversion. Its a cost of doing business in ROI.

your only recourse is to not purchase the item. The staff member at the till has not input into the pricing of goods.

That might have been the case years ago. It is now more expensive to operate in the UK. Commercial rates are horrendous in the UK. Staff costs are not much below here. Rents here have dropped dramatically here and no longer have upward only reviews. Vat is 3% higher. Energy costs are similar.

Remember Homesavers operate in very secondary sites where the rent will be feck all. They also employ a lot of young kids who are paid about €8 an hour

I was in one of their stores once. They are wildly over priced considering the tat they sell. This is a pure case of profiteering

Advertisement