Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭StevenToast

And Tubridy trying to squeeze between them to pay for the gargle!

Its amazing to say....but Ryan Tubridy is the most unlikeable person in that photo...

What an unctuous little tw@t he is....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Its amazing to say....but Ryan Tubridy is the most unlikeable person in that photo...

What an unctuous little tw@t he is....
    Do not post in this thread again

As a former member of the British Empire, what can we do to ensure a sufficient level of mourning is held on our fair isle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As a former member of the British Empire, what can we do to ensure a sufficient level of mourning is held on our fair isle?

How about adopt British football teams as our own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Condolences to the love of his life, oh and the Queen

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Any institutions with Royal still in the title should probably fly their flags at half mast...

A grief riot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Was he the most anti-pc establisment figure of our times. Maybe Trump runs him close.
    Pity he wasn't in his prime now, if only to wind up the woke like there is no tommorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

odyssey06 wrote: »

Hadn’t that been said for a while that he’d get the nod as it were. I have to say that Michelle o Neils tweet offering her sympathies to the royal family was the decent thing to do.

I mean I’m not a fan of the royal family but have an interesting in it from an historical point of view and being Irish I’ve zero allegiance to them, but when it’s all said and done regardless of them being royalty, death and grief don’t giving two ****es what you are. I know when my grandmother died recently it was very nice to read condolences from people on rip.ie from people I’d never met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Who cares? :pac:

Great craic hearing the bbc “explain away” his various gaffes as the signs of an active mind slightly bored of royal life lol

Slightly bored and mischievous

Certainly not racism oh no

I think we all know that the people of the commonwealth he made gaffes about would have taken it in the spirit it was intended. Only white people would feel offended on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I liked the aul codger, his indifference was refreshing. He was a product of a bygone era, had a difficult childhood and had to give up his career when his wife became queen, so I think he must have had a lot of regrets despite all the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    She'll be fine. She will be attending the real funeral 3 days before the official one.

My eh friend doesn’t get this joke!

Celchick wrote: »
    I'm so sad. Such a tragedy - he had so much more life to live, to give. He left such a mark with all those... things that he did. I didn't know him but I felt like I knew him well - he was almost like a grandfather to me.

I feel like Waylon Smithers when it looked like Mr. Burns had drowned. To quote him, I reach to the pit of my heart and scream, achingly: "WHY DO THE GOOD ALWAYS DIE SO YOUNG?!!"

Good night sweet prince - to know you was to love you. :( xx

This post, although disrespectful, still made me laugh. The old lad did have a sense of humour as well so no harm done.

razorblunt wrote: »
    My eh friend doesn’t get this joke!

Meghan and Harry's interview with Oprah. She claimed they secretly got married 3 days before the official wedding.

Turned out to be bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Omackeral wrote: »
    How about adopt British football teams as our own?

What a glorious idea! I bags Barnet F.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

BBC getting lots of complaints about coverage it seems

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1380608695940358156

Well aside from close friends family ... if you add up all the people he met on his official engagements, recipients of Duke of Edinburgh awards, naval personnel it must be an astonishing number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭trashcan

Any good reason why both BBC channels have to show exactly the same coverage ? Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Many!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch

Monitoring, assessing and promoting appropriate displays of patriotic grieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Whatever your thoughts on the royal family it is a very sad day for the family.
    A wife has lost her husband, kids have lost their dad, grandkids have lost their grandad and grandkids their great grandad.

A lot of families have lost loved ones in this covid era and will certainly relate to their grief.

trashcan wrote: »
    Any good reason why both BBC channels have to show exactly the same coverage ? Bizarre.

Seems OTT given they have a digital news station for 24 hour coverage alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

They did the same for Diana. No complaints then though.
    Even though she was outside the firm by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mfceiling wrote: »
    Whatever your thoughts on the royal family it is a very sad day for the family.
    A wife has lost her husband, kids have lost their dad, grandkids have lost their grandad and grandkids their great grandad.

A lot of families have lost loved ones in this covid era and will certainly relate to their grief.

Well said.

Human beings. Simple as. Born into a life of service and duty..

They did the same for Diana. No complaints then though.
    Even though she was outside the firm by that stage.

That was extraordinary given the backlash before her death, then overnight she was a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

trashcan wrote: »

How much can they cover?

Very old man dies, let's look back at his life. Repeat.

The Diana coverage was OTT but her death was a tragic accident. Prince Philip was almost a century old, these things happen. It's more to do with being seen to do the right thing I'm guessing, not that there's an amazing revelations to be made. It's not exactly 9/11.

Glazers Out!

Well the radio side of the BBC isn’t covering it wall to wall as of now. BBC radio 1, one extra, BBC radio 3, radio 4 extra, the world service and then it seems one station in most areas. Which I think is fair enough. Looking at it now there’s balance so if you don’t want to listen to it, there’s more than enough stations that you can listen to.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    How much can they cover?

Very old man dies, let's look back at his life. Repeat.

The Diana coverage was OTT but her death was a tragic accident. Prince Philip was almost a century old, these things happen. It's more to do with being seen to do the right thing I'm guessing, not that there's an amazing revelations to be made. It's not exactly 9/11.

I was 12 when Diana died and I know I watched part of her funeral but I don’t if it was rte showing it or I was watching the BBC coverage. I do know I heard about the crash on the morning it happened but watching back to coverage online it’s a bit mad. I mean there were people weeping yet they never met her. It was sad obviously but the amount of grief from people that didn’t know her seems a bit much in hindsight.

Advertisement