Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭trashcan

nullzero wrote: »

Very old man dies, .

Or, as I saw somewhere today “Greek Immigrant who lived off the State for years, dies” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was 12 when Diana died and I know I watched part of her funeral but I don’t if it was rte showing it or I was watching the BBC coverage. I do know I heard about the crash on the morning it happened but watching back to coverage online it’s a bit mad. I mean there were people weeping yet they never met her. It was sad obviously but the amount of grief from people that didn’t know her seems a bit much in hindsight.

The coverage of 9/11 didn't last as long as the coverage of Princess Diana's death. Every station seemed to have nothing else on for well over a week.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

trashcan wrote: »
    Or, as I saw somewhere today “Greek Immigrant who lived off the State for years, dies” :D

yeah you probably seen it here the 5 or 6 times that other people posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

trashcan wrote: »

Yes..saw that one.

Utter ignorance and nonsenses..

Tireless workers...

300 engagements a year he was doing

Whether he wanted to or not..

Senior Royals are some the hardest working people in Britain...and they have little choice but to work it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

walshb wrote: »
    Yes..saw that one.

Senior Royals are some the hardest working people in Britain...and they have little choice but to work it..

I'm sorry ****ing what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm sorry ****ing what.

He wouldn't be working a shovel like, but still working harder and longer than most sitting in an office somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It was all too much for MeAgain anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The coverage of 9/11 didn't last as long as the coverage of Princess Diana's death. Every station seemed to have nothing else on for well over a week.

9/11 brought in that rolling ticker you see at the bottom of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was just searching of wiki to see how long the title the duke of Edinburgh has been around and it seems that with Prince phillps death the title goes to Charles which is sourced from an official website around the title. So Edward isn’t getting it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

It was just searching of wiki to see how long the title the duke of Edinburgh has been around and it seems that with Prince phillps death the title goes to Charles which is sourced from an official website around the title. So Edward isn’t getting it then.

Edward gets it when Charles becomes king

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

I read that the title will only pass to Edward when Charles becomes king.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Naturally you will get the SF/IRA types being disrespectful. It's just what they do.

Prince Philip was a scholar and a gentleman. A wonderfully witty person with a devilish streak.

Rip

°°°°°

Darc19 wrote: »
    Naturally you will get the SF/IRA types being disrespectful. It's just what they do.

Prince Philip was a scholar and a gentleman. A wonderfully witty person with a devilish streak.

Rip

What's the craic Arlene?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Omackeral wrote: »
    9/11 brought in that rolling ticker you see at the bottom of the screen

It also brought us Kay Burleys emotional detachment when those people were falling out of the buildings.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Sadly he will be missing out on the 100th b'day letter :(

I feel like now is a time for a United Ireland... United under the banner of the Union Jack. We must show solidarity with our old friends during this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Yes..saw that one.

Utter ignorance and nonsenses..

Tireless workers...

300 engagements a year he was doing

Whether he wanted to or not..

And fought hard in the war... he lived his life to the full and will be a loss... definitely will miss his funny statements haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What's the craic Arlene?

The funny thing is I am originally from northern Ireland (ballycastle) and from Catholic background (don't believe in religion), but absolutely despise SF/IRA and the unintelligent rabble that follow their beckoning like sheep.

HRH Prince Philip was an absolute gent in every way.

That SF/ IRA riff raff cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that says a lot for their lack of empathy. But considering that SF/IRA murdered thousands of innocent men, women and children, that is not surprising

Watched the BBC tribute this evening- so much pre-recorded in anticipation of his passing - including his daughter Princess Royal and Andy and David Attenborough - was trying to figure out how these set pieces were recorded but definitely a few years ago- imagine recording your memories of your parents, while they're still alive, but pretending that they've just died? Must be very strange thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It also brought us Kay Burleys emotional detachment when those people were falling out of the buildings.

'falling'...

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

'falling'...

Ah here.

Glazers Out!

I read that the title will only pass to Edward when Charles becomes king.

But I was under the impression that Edward would get it after his father. I wasn’t aware it reverted back to someone else first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

'falling'...

Their deaths were recorded as murders IIRC

I feel like now is a time for a United Ireland... United under the banner of the Union Jack. We must show solidarity with our old friends during this difficult time.

How about no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭maebee

Watching Sky News now and notice that the Presenter, Anna Botting, is dressed in mourning black. Is this a British thing or does it happen with TV Presenters in other countries? Just wondering if Eileen Dunne would be dressed this way if the spouse of our Taoiseach or President died.

Correct. They are the Sherpas of UK society, carrying the heavy weight and leading the way for the ignorant freeloaders that are the public.
    It's about time their plight was highlighted.
    They need a good union like the TUI to take them under their wing and win them proper workers rights.
    They are prisoners in their Palaces.
    Free the Royals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Darc19 wrote: »

Rip
    It's... almost as if... there's a middle ground between being an embittered provo... and a fawning sychophant! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was listening to BBC Radio Ulster's Talkback show earlier which was about the Belfast violence. The point was made that loyalists feel their views don't get enough respect these days. Shortly thereafter, the broadcast abruptly ends, God Save The Queen kicks off, and we find out that all shows will cease for the Duke's passing in order to have wall-to-wall coverage about the monarchy. Some timing.

It's sad for his family and friends, and to a lesser extent the UK public, but the reaction has really been ridiculously OTT. I saw the BBC newsreader nearly in tears reading out the news. And then you have all programming being cut off on several channels. People outside Buckingham Palace crying. The man was 99 years of age. Most of us would love a life that long and interesting.

Britain, and I mainly mean England, is a seriously weird country when it comes to these things. Anything to do with monarchy, or the poppy, or Churchill, has them losing their senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Watched the BBC tribute this evening- so much pre-recorded in anticipation of his passing - including his daughter Princess Royal and Andy and David Attenborough - was trying to figure out how these set pieces were recorded but definitely a few years ago- imagine recording your memories of your parents, while they're still alive, but pretending that they've just died? Must be very strange thing to do.

Might be a few years ago now, but wasn't someone's death misreported and they played a bunch of the pre-recorded segments about them before the error was corrected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Lennox Gilbey

kowloon wrote: »
    Might be a few years ago now, but wasn't someone's death misreported and they played a bunch of the pre-recorded segments about them before the error was corrected?

The Sun reported Prince Philip dead when he was 95.

Advertisement