Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Looking back at the old footage of when he was younger.. the only royal I can strongly see is Harry..even in the way he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Looking back at the old footage of when he was younger.. the only royal I can strongly see is Harry..even in the way he speaks.

Apparently there is a ‘waterford whispers’ obituary doing the rounds on Philip Mountbatten.....has anyone come across it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spoken on behalf of every man on the planet who has had to wait for his wife to finish posting photos of his dinner before he can eat it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Watched the BBC tribute this evening- so much pre-recorded in anticipation of his passing - including his daughter Princess Royal and Andy and David Attenborough - was trying to figure out how these set pieces were recorded but definitely a few years ago- imagine recording your memories of your parents, while they're still alive, but pretending that they've just died? Must be very strange thing to do.

I'd say that any scheduled interview with certain people every couple of years and they will have to record "memories" of other significant relatives or "national treasures" each time. If David Attenborough dies in the next year I bet you'll see a clip of Prince Charles during the same interview they showed yesterday talking about him, and David Attenborough will have also recorded something about the Queen and Prince Charles at the same time as his one about Philip too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was 12 when Diana died and I know I watched part of her funeral but I don’t if it was rte showing it or I was watching the BBC coverage. I do know I heard about the crash on the morning it happened but watching back to coverage online it’s a bit mad. I mean there were people weeping yet they never met her. It was sad obviously but the amount of grief from people that didn’t know her seems a bit much in hindsight.

Maybe. Maybe not.

These people are symbols in so many ways and some will use their privileged position to help others or bring hope or to bring issues to our attention. I think that can be inspiring or something like that.

Maybe we are all becoming too cynical when we lose sight of that.

People cry when they watch fictional stories at the cinema or in front of the TV. So maybe it hits them harder when it's a real person. Especially when that real person is held up as some kind of symbol of someone who helps causes.

I don't know. Its almost sad to see people gleefully sticking the boot in to others who have really done nothing wrong besides holding these people up as symbols of hope.

Reading up on his life I think he really did do a lot to help others and to raise people up. I'd like to think that some people had even a slightly better situation in life thanks to his actions.

Might even be signs of a bad outlook for our society when so many are lining up to put the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

It's really bizarre how right wingers in places like Ireland and the US have made defending the British monarchy part of their identity. Culture wars are bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

“Thanks to his alertness and appreciation of the situation, we were able to sink in five minutes two 8in gun Italian cruisers.”

Comment from the dispatches of the captain of HMS Valiant to the Admiralty regarding Midshipman Phillip Mountbattan, officer in command of the searchlights aboard HMS Valiant at the Battle of Matapan. March 1941.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Achebe wrote: »
    It's really bizarre how right wingers in places like Ireland and the US have made defending the British monarchy part of their identity. Culture wars are bizarre.

Isn't your comment itself just another part of the culture wars though?

You claim culture wars are bizarre while also spending time participating in them.

I think even Obama himself has posted about the passing of Prince Philip in a kind and supportive fashion. Surely he is not a right winger?

I think if people can see positives in someone else, from somewhere else, despite them seeming to be natural "enemies" on the surface then thats probably not too much of a bad thing.

I don't know. Maybe some self-reflection could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pretty bad when the BBC Itself has to set up a mechanism to handle the inordinate amount of complaints about its completely over the top coverage of this. God help BBC viewers when the Queen Passes away.

The Prince was by all accounts a character, infact his Mother was quite an extraordinary amazing and brave Lady, I recommend looking at any documentaries on her.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Pretty bad when the BBC Itself has to set up a mechanism to handle the inordinate amount of complaints about its completely over the top coverage of this. God help BBC viewers when the Queen Passes away.

The Prince was by all accounts a character, infact his Mother was quite an extraordinary amazing and brave Lady, I recommend looking at any documentaries on her.

Well the BBC viewers and basically all British TV and radio listeners have gotten a dry run of what it’ll be like when she dies and given that for many people in Britain and around the world she is the only monarch they know, whether you like the monarchy or think it’s the stupidest thing going, it will be a huge global news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Britain, and I mainly mean England, is a seriously weird country when it comes to these things. Anything to do with monarchy, or the poppy, or Churchill, has them losing their senses.

A lot of hype and forced impressions. I am here in the UK and have been on some hilarious Twitter and FB pages, some local to me, and not everyone loses their senses. Although the media would have you think otherwise. Same with Brexit - awash with nonsense.

The BBC had to open a dedicated complaints form on its forum because they have received an abundance of complaints from the public about the non-stop coverage. The RF are not as popular as you think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the BBC viewers and basically all British TV and radio listeners have gotten a dry run of what it’ll be like when she dies and given that for many people in Britain and around the world she is the only monarch they know, whether you like the monarchy or think it’s the stupidest thing going, it will be a huge global news story.

Not quite, BBC news, America have global audiences and indeed all the BBC channels views around the world. I'm personally neutral on their coverage albeit beyond laboured at the stage

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    Some of the responses here are incredibly insensitive. Regardless of your feelings toward him a family is currently grieving the loss of their loved one and we should all respect that. What if one of them were to come across some of the malicious comments here?

I don't know why, but I have a feeling he would have liked many of the witty and snarky remarks here...biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Lord have mercy on him. I sent a Mass card this morning to his widow and children. God help them at this time, he’ll be badly missed.

I’d say you’re right. He was on the equivalent of JOBSEEKERS BENEFIT all of his life although he got a lot more than 203 euro. The local pub will have to find a new recruit now.

Quote in the Times obituary today “it is the fate of many who live long enough that the final impression is what survives them”

Given that most of us only know him as an elderly and slightly cantankerous man, grumpy about change, it’s been interesting reading what he did in the war and through the 50s and 60s. He was actually a remarkable man, hardworking and honourable. The year he turned 90 he did 300 public engagements, which is some commitment. Represents the passing of the wartime, stoic generation, of which my own grandparents were members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Whatever about other elements of his life, reading his quotes are like of a blast of pure oxygen. Just so humourous in contrast to the puritanical fairy culture of today that attempts to find offence with every waking second.

His comments on over-population and the eating habits of the Chinese are prescient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

Seems the British public found the wall-to-wall coverage a bit much

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1380803808868057090

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wonder how long Liz will live after him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It's gas how the Brits like to laugh at China and North Korea and all that jazz and then when this fella dies there's complete and utter shutdown of national broadcasting; it's incredible to witness it like. I love living here, but the amount of state-sponsored, enforced conformity over stuff like this and the poppy is creepy and weird. There's a proper streak of stupidity around this stuff that runs through many Brits and I don't think I'll ever fully understand it.

Lord have mercy on him. I sent a Mass card this morning to his widow and children. God help them at this time, he’ll be badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Isn't your comment itself just another part of the culture wars though?

You claim culture wars are bizarre while also spending time participating in them.

I think even Obama himself has posted about the passing of Prince Philip in a kind and supportive fashion. Surely he is not a right winger?

I think if people can see positives in someone else, from somewhere else, despite them seeming to be natural "enemies" on the surface then thats probably not too much of a bad thing.

I don't know. Maybe some self-reflection could be useful.

I'm not on about people like Obama. I'm on about the Irish people taking massive offence on behalf of the British royals, or the American conservatives getting very angry about Harry's disrespect to the institution of the monarchy. Ireland and the US are two nations founded through violent rebellion against the British crown, yet you now see so many people keen to praise it. It's a really odd case of people lining up based on political ideology before nation, which is ironic given how patriotic some of these people would profess themselves to be. If you're a member of a party called the republicans, why should you have any concern for the institution of monarchy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm sure I remember RTE getting a bit over emotional about a head of state for an OAP home/ religious cult in the middle of Rome dying. Even remember the branded flag for the local supermarket having put their own flag at half mast alongside the flag for the foreign statelet, which is beyond daft. No Tescos in the UK flying their flags at half mast today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Did you put a few pound in it to help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's gas how the Brits like to laugh at China and North Korea and all that jazz and then when this fella dies there's complete and utter shutdown of national broadcasting; it's incredible to witness it like. I love living here, but the amount of state-sponsored, enforced conformity over stuff like this and the poppy is creepy and weird. There's a proper streak of stupidity around this stuff that runs through many Brits and I don't think I'll ever fully understand it.

Hear, hear.

Many of my UK friends think the very same though.

It's nuts.

• Advertisement

This is a cracker...

A speech Prince Philip gave in the US. The first joke is weak enough, but the joke he tells from 1.20 on is worth listening to (seeing as you're on this thread) and it ends with more self awareness people give him credit for.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1380772589887500288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1380772589887500288%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.atangledweb.org%2F

Advertisement