Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's gas how the Brits like to laugh at China and North Korea and all that jazz and then when this fella dies there's complete and utter shutdown of national broadcasting; it's incredible to witness it like. I love living here, but the amount of state-sponsored, enforced conformity over stuff like this and the poppy is creepy and weird. There's a proper streak of stupidity around this stuff that runs through many Brits and I don't think I'll ever fully understand it.

Pretty sure that if the president of Ireland died it would be wall to wall coverage of him, his life, his legacy etc etc
    That's what happens, sure all Brits don't like the royals, some don't care and some love them. Same as the President in Ireland I'm sure.

This is a cracker...

A speech Prince Philip gave in the US. The first joke is weak enough, but the joke he tells from 1.20 on is worth listening to (seeing as you're on this thread) and it ends with more self awareness people give him credit for.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1380772589887500288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1380772589887500288%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.atangledweb.org%2F

Funny man tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Quote in the Times obituary today “it is the fate of many who live long enough that the final impression is what survives them”

Given that most of us only know him as an elderly and slightly cantankerous man, grumpy about change, it’s been interesting reading what he did in the war and through the 50s and 60s. He was actually a remarkable man, hardworking and honourable. The year he turned 90 he did 300 public engagements, which is some commitment. Represents the passing of the wartime, stoic generation, of which my own grandparents were members

Being English and born during World War 2 I can and do endorse your post with thanks.

The Royal Family was an anchor in those post war years. Our childhood was filled with them. They were as familiar to us as our own families. A family when so many of our families had been shattered by war deaths.

It is hard to express. Every birth; we grew up with Prince Charles and Princess Ann. Our clothes were like theirs. We knew every event in their lives.

And the Coronation. By then many families had televisions. Small black and white sets. And we all kept open house to those who had none. Oh and my father went round all the neighbours making sure all the cars were fitted with suppressors to stop interference.

That was how they were the royals to us. Family and more than family

The Queen Mother's death was a loss; my first Easter in Ireland.

This is a much greater one. A way of life all but gone. An inevitable sadness and grief.

When the film was on the news of Prince Philip coming home from hospital it was clear he had come home to die.

It reminded me , the age thing, of a neighbour here, who died about the same time shy of his 100th birthday. His gravestone says 100... So should Prince Philips.
    We mourn his passing and bear his wife in heart and mind.

God rest him, good man that he was. And comfort the Queen.

An era is ending. A great grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

5 articles about Megan on the frontpage of the indo website at the moment.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Being English and born during World War 2 I can and do endorse your post with thanks.

The Royal Family was an anchor in those post war years. Our childhood was filled with them. They were as familiar to us as our own families. A family when so many of our families had been shattered by war deaths.

It is hard to express. Every birth; we grew up with Prince Charles and Princess Ann. Our clothes were like theirs. We knew every event in their lives.

And the Coronation. By then many families had televisions. Small black and white sets. And we all kept open house to those who had none. Oh and my father went round all the neighbours making sure all the cars were fitted with suppressors to stop interference.

This is a much greater one. A way of life all but gone. An inevitable sadness and grief.

When the film was on the news of Prince Philip coming home from hospital it was clear he had come home to die.

It reminded me , the age thing, of a neighbour here, who died about the same time shy of his 100th birthday. His gravestone says 100... So should Prince Philips.

Thanks for that personal reflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw a clip from CNN that said there’s 30 people allowed to attend the funeral which will likely stop anyone being left out to do with the great grandchildren I think. It’s good that Harry is coming because it would look terrible if he didn’t.

Graces7 wrote: »

That’s a sense of community and solidarity, with the neighbourhood and with the royals, that I would love to have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

This is a cracker...

A speech Prince Philip gave in the US. The first joke is weak enough, but the joke he tells from 1.20 on is worth listening to (seeing as you're on this thread) and it ends with more self awareness people give him credit for.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1380772589887500288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1380772589887500288%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.atangledweb.org%2F

he is/was hilarious. Great, wicked humour fmpov, didn't take himself (and others:D) too serious.

I like to think every evening the Queen would ask him what inappropriate things he said or did again that day and they had a great laugh together. He was kind of allowed to say what the Queen would never, ever be allowed to say in public. I think he acted as a kind of outlet for her in all this seriousness and protocoll-keeping she had to endure all her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A woman has lost her husband who she was married to for 72 years

That’s what I thought about today

She is no better or worse than me I don’t have a chip on my shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Maybe. Maybe not.

These people are symbols in so many ways and some will use their privileged position to help others or bring hope or to bring issues to our attention. I think that can be inspiring or something like that.

Maybe we are all becoming too cynical when we lose sight of that.

People cry when they watch fictional stories at the cinema or in front of the TV. So maybe it hits them harder when it's a real person. Especially when that real person is held up as some kind of symbol of someone who helps causes.

I don't know. Its almost sad to see people gleefully sticking the boot in to others who have really done nothing wrong besides holding these people up as symbols of hope.

Reading up on his life I think he really did do a lot to help others and to raise people up. I'd like to think that some people had even a slightly better situation in life thanks to his actions.

Might even be signs of a bad outlook for our society when so many are lining up to put the boot in.
    I think most people's issue is not with his passing being marked, but the bizarre cult of personality fawning carry-on - although for old people it's a bit different in fairness.

The man himself would have found that cringey though. Even more bizarre from Irish people. Particularly the ones going on like mammies with the "Sh! Have respect" finger wagging, even over just mild jokes, when the man himself had an irreverent sense of humour and that is seemingly one of the things being celebrated about him. Then there's all this stuff about what a great man he was (if likely a windup in some cases). I'm not saying he was a bad man either - seemed an ok guy - but there's just hilarious sycophancy... for what? Irish people doffing their caps to their "betters".

And yeah if you live in a palace, have an army of staff, have other stately homes, a private jet, then you should be working hard. Fair play on him doing so into old age but he didn't cure cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celchick wrote: »
    I'm not saying he was a bad man either - seemed an ok guy - but there's just hilarious sycophancy... for what? Irish people doffing their caps to their "betters".

No idea what you on about there to be honest.
    I don't see any cap doffing to betters or sycophancy.

Respect for a guy who fought with distinction in world war two, seemed to bring a bit of character to people in his public engagements and was good value for a possibly off colour joke in otherwise dull circumstances.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

tara73 wrote: »
    He was kind of allowed to say what the Queen would never, ever be allowed to say in public. I think he acted as a kind of outlet for her in all this seriousness and protocoll-keeping she had to endure all her life.

That thought crossed my mind as well recently when he told one reporter 'that was a stupid question.' When his wife was asked if she was enjoying Paris. What could she say other than, 'Ys, vry.' or some such.

I can imagine they'd discussed previously privately the inane questions she had to field. And it came out through him, never her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Celchick wrote: »
    I think most people's issue is not with his passing being marked, but the bizarre cult of personality fawning carry-on - although for old people it's a bit different in fairness.

The man himself would have found that cringey though. Even more bizarre from Irish people. Particularly the ones going on like mammies with the "Sh! Have respect" finger wagging, even over just mild jokes, when the man himself had an irreverent sense of humour and that is seemingly one of the things being celebrated about him. Then there's all this stuff about what a great man he was (if likely a windup in some cases). I'm not saying he was a bad man either - seemed an ok guy - but there's just hilarious sycophancy... for what? Irish people doffing their caps to their "betters".

And yeah if you live in a palace, have an army of staff, have other stately homes, a private jet, then you should be working hard. Fair play on him doing so into old age but he didn't cure cancer.

For goodness sake, I don't even wear a cap. But by golly my forelock is almost tugged off me. What ho! .:pac::pac::pac:

A woman has lost her husband who she was married to for 72 years

That’s what I thought about today

She is no better or worse than me I don’t have a chip on my shoulder

I know she is an old woman and no better or worse than anyone else, the thing is though, that she honestly and wholeheartedly believes that she is better than you. Believes it with all her heart because she is born royal and born superior. That's not just my opinion that is what they believe.
    That's what annoys people.

I know she is an old woman and no better or worse than anyone else, the thing is though, that she honestly and wholeheartedly believes that she is better than you. Believes it with all her heart because she is born royal and born superior. That's not just my opinion that is what they believe.
    That's what annoys people.

You have no idea what she thinks/believes!

bubblypop wrote: »
    You have no idea what she thinks/believes!

Ah come on. Look at it rationally. Read about how she interacts daily with servants, even close family members.
    She's not just any sweet old lady, She's a relic of an ancient Monarchy mindset that the UK have chosen to keep as a pet.

Ah come on. Look at it rationally. Read about how she interacts daily with servants, even close family members.
    She's not just any sweet old lady, She's a relic of an ancient Monarchy mindset that the UK have chosen to keep as a pet.

You have no idea at all, how she feels about anything, nor how she interacts daily with anyone, unless you work for her???
    You are dealing with your own prejudices there now.

bubblypop wrote: »
    You have no idea at all, how she feels about anything, nor how she interacts daily with anyone, unless you work for her???
    You are dealing with your own prejudices there now.

If you met her, and you tried to talk to her, do you think she would respond to you?
    I think she would hold you at arms length, because to her you are a peasant.
    She would most likely have a joke about the encounter later in the evening.
    These Royals are not your friends.
    They don't like you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TimeLadsPlease - you are now banned from posting in this thread again

If you met her, and you tried to talk to her, do you think she would respond to you?
    I think she would hold you at arms length, because to her you are a peasant.
    She would most likely have a joke about the encounter later in the evening.
    These Royals are not your friends.
    They don't like you.

well, tbh when I met her, twice btw, she was very nice.
    once when I was a child in england and the second time at the concert held in her honour in Dublin.
    Both times she was very polite and interested. I couldnt expect anymore than what she was!
    Having met lots of VIPs over the years, Irish and foreign, she was very nice and normal compared to most.

I wouldnt expect them to be my friends? why would I?

edit, sorry i answered this before the mod post

• Advertisement

Amazing how someone decades older than most own grandmother can illicit such strong emotions.

What does that say.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Amazing how someone decades older than most own grandmother can illicit such strong emotions.

What does that say.

That you are quite young....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Deffo not a fan and felt more sympathy for Captain Tom Moore when he passed even though our worlds are far far apart. Nevertheless I'm sure he will be missed by some circles and especially by his immediate family. RIP I guess.

Beasty wrote: »
    That you are quite young....

If only that were true. None of my grandparents alive. Last died decades ago.

Anyone taking umbrage against someone 95 /96 is looking hard for issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

What does that say.

What's wrong with someone decades older illiciting strong emotions?

What's wrong with someone decades older illiciting strong emotions?

Because they are far more concerned with the next life, sitting in God's waiting room, than anything else.

Have you nothing else to be worried about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

https://twitter.com/Nigerianscamsss/status/1380502365145546754?s=20

My favourite clip I've seen out of all the scathing and slanderously mocking commentary is this 100% sincere moment on Sky. Fair dues, excellently done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Lucky guy. He got to see HM's daily change of hats up close for seventy years. A different colo(u)r every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

What does that say.

That people have empathy?

I've seen plenty of folks in my life who will cry at movies or TV shows etc and that's over fictional characters. As far as I can tell it's not a new thing and is something we've evolved but I'm no expert.

Advertisement