Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

https://twitter.com/Nigerianscamsss/status/1380502365145546754?s=20

My favourite clip I've seen out of all the scathing and slanderously mocking commentary is this 100% sincere moment on Sky. Fair dues, excellently done.

I particulary also like the fact he keeps talking about them (himself and the Queen) in the 3. person, like the interviewer in her question..:D

edit: just realised, is it really Prince Philip interviewed or somebody else..? Anyway, would be more funny if it was him, see above..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

Because they are far more concerned with the next life, sitting in God's waiting room, than anything else.

Have you nothing else to be worried about?

Plenty, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

android1 wrote: »
    If only he could have lived just one more year he would have gotten a telegram from the Queen.

10 more weeks is all he needed to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Achebe wrote: »
    It's really bizarre how right wingers in places like Ireland and the US have made defending the British monarchy part of their identity. Culture wars are bizarre.
    What do you think is wrong with liking monarchies? Or is it the British one you focus on?
    I think you'll find conservatives also like monarchies like Norway, Spain, Morocco, Japan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

biko wrote: »
    What do you think is wrong with liking monarchies? Or is it the British one you focus on?
    I think you'll find conservatives also like monarchies like Norway, Spain, Morocco, Japan etc.

Funny isn't it. All the complaining they do about benefits and yet they worship the biggest benefit recipients in the world.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Funny isn't it. All the complaining they do about benefits and yet they worship the biggest benefit recipients in the world.

It's a job (for life) they had a very strong union representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

biko wrote: »

Some monarchies across the world have a more decorative public role and their wealth and possessions are limited or curtailed.

I have no problem with the RF if they modernised and became more affordable: in-line with the UK's devastating austerity during the last 11 years. However, it has been revealed they are hiding much of their wealth and putting pressure on governments to be excluded from certain wealth/land taxes. They are also hiding their colonial treasures and artifacts from the public none of which is what I would call representative of a decent upstanding monarchy. Their policies and methods are actually quite corrupt and more inline with the main reason for brexit: hide wealth in tax havens and prevent scrutiny from EU policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

Andrew came across well in the short Sky interview. Edward came across as more aloof. Was surprised listening to the BBC news on Friday night that Michael D's reflections on his life was not broadcast considering we are neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

silverharp wrote: »

Friend = Mistress in your world?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

batman75 wrote: »
    Andrew came across well in the short Sky interview. Edward came across as more aloof. Was surprised listening to the BBC news on Friday night that Michael D's reflections on his life was not broadcast considering we are neighbours.

He was left out of the penalty box then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

batman75 wrote: »

Thought Andrew was brutal

He was constantly worried “the elephant in the room” question would be lobbed at him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He was left out of the penalty box then ?

He was so so bad

He was so so bad

If that was sincerity :rolleyes: - bar his mmothe's death that should be his last appearance. who cares what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Friend = Mistress in your world?

its one of those, even the dogs in the streets know, woof! :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He was so so bad

Was he ? I’m not going to watch every single clip of them talking. I saw Anne and Edward taking(which I presume was filmed well in advance) and I saw Prince Charles make comments which seemed very genuine so I’ll leave it at that.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Some monarchies across the world have a more decorative public role and their wealth and possessions are limited or curtailed.

I have no problem with the RF if they modernised and became more affordable: in-line with the UK's devastating austerity during the last 11 years. However, it has been revealed they are hiding much of their wealth and putting pressure on governments to be excluded from certain wealth/land taxes. They are also hiding their colonial treasures and artifacts from the public none of which is what I would call representative of a decent upstanding monarchy. Their policies and methods are actually quite corrupt and more inline with the main reason for brexit: hide wealth in tax havens and prevent scrutiny from EU policies.

I heard Liz has billions stuffed under her mattress in Balmoral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Sometimes it's sad to see the past go. There's something cool about monarchies, in a way they offer us a reminder of our past. Sometimes it doesn't really feel like history happened and then you see the BBC reporting the death and you're reminded of a different time. I find it so fascinating that Philip was a cousin of the Romanov's. We sort of look at the British through such a narrow lens in Ireland, it's sort of cool to see how the Britsh monarchy is part of something much more broader and significant than just their rule in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Did Philip consider himself English?

British if anything. He had little to no affinity for Greece. But, probably never quite saw himself as English either despite living there for over 70 years.

Possibly Danish/Russian affinity for his relations.

• Advertisement

British if anything. He had little to no affinity for Greece. But, probably never quite saw himself as English either despite living there for over 70 years.

Possibly Danish/Russian affinity for his relations.

and definetely german I would say, see his mother. I actually think he is/was very german from his behaviour..half german half british...slagging people and not taking himself too serious would be the british note but then being that direct and insulting with it the german manner comes through very strongly...:D

did the Duke of Edinburgh consider himself English?

Does Charles consider himself Welsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

tara73 wrote: »
    and definetely german I would say, see his mother. I actually think he is/was very german from his behaviour..half german half british...slagging people and not taking himself too serious would be the british note but then being that direct and insulting with it the german manner comes through very strongly...:D

I think his mother had a very interesting life too. She helped a Jewish family by hiding them in her house during the war and was declared a righteous person and buried in Jerusalem.

I think his mother had a very interesting life too. She helped a Jewish family by hiding them in her house during the war and was declared a righteous person and buried in Jerusalem.

ok, didn' t know that. but then she got severely mentally ill being quite young and Philip still a little boy. Had to stay for the rest of her life in a psychiatric ward (santorium as it was called that days..:rolleyes:) afaik. Very sad story and must have effected Philip also strongly.

Does Charles consider himself Welsh?

a better question would be "Does the Prince of Wales consider himself English", would it not?

The Royal family are always very careful not to favour one nation over another and tend to spread out the afinity with each country. For example, Harry is a big supporter of England Rugby, William supports Wales and Princess Anne is the Patron of the Scottish Rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

'If anything, I've thought of myself as Scandinavian. Particularly, Danish. We spoke English at home,' Prince Philip recalls today. 'The others learned Greek. I could understand a certain amount of it. But then the (conversation) would go into French. Then it went into German, on occasion, because we had German cousins.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/a-strange-life-profile-of-prince-philip-1563268.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Sometimes it's sad to see the past go. There's something cool about monarchies, in a way they offer us a reminder of our past. Sometimes it doesn't really feel like history happened and then you see the BBC reporting the death and you're reminded of a different time. I find it so fascinating that Philip was a cousin of the Romanov's. We sort of look at the British through such a narrow lens in Ireland, it's sort of cool to see how the Britsh monarchy is part of something much more broader and significant than just their rule in Ireland.
    What's "cool" about monarchies? :D

Romanovs - fascinating, but look at what the ill treatment of their people led to.

Celchick wrote: »

Romanovs - fascinating, but look at what the ill treatment of their people led to.

I don't find them cool or bow down to their prestige and greatness but as a thing in the world it is interesting.

Their lives are completely different to ours
    The fact that they're just regular human beings who have been born into a life of such high status and privilege which is predicated on their anointment by God himself. Just how they navigate and engage with the world with this in mind to me is just so bizarre.
    The links to the past - Looking at their family trees offers us a roadmap for European history
    How despite all our trappings of modernity, many still believe in structures, rituals and titles of a by-gone era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celchick wrote: »

Well the viewing figures for the Crown and royal weddings etc suggest they have an appeal ... not sure if that makes them "cool" or maybe just a fascination.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement