Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

it's funny how he was liked in ireland because he came across as a shameless racist

Not surprising at all, if you ask me. Though the feeling probably wasn't mutual, not after you blew up his uncle.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Small notice on rip.ie lol

Family flowers only please....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

is_that_so wrote: »
    But was he or was he just extremely prone to some very old-fashioned non-PC ways of saying things?

well he's been saying mad stuff for decades so you can't blame old age on them,
    Just the british superiority/god complex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

A real man and a proper husband. An alpha male to his children, a man that enjoyed the finer things in life and supporter his wife when it mattered. One of the most perfect humans imaginable. A role model to men.

2/10

Must try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He was a real character and at least he was himself with all the stuff he came out with over the years.

• Advertisement

I feel genuinely sad about this news. 74 years married to the queen and gave up everything to just support her. That is something! Un-PC for sure, but by all accounts a charming guy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

99, pretty good age.

He had some hilarious quotes attributed to him.

He really wasn't what you would call pc?!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Great day for the grief junkies.

The fawning over a racist welfare benefit scrounger is something to lo and behold.

FG will be looking for the tricolour to be flown at half mast this weekend.

Appalled at some of the insensitive comments on this thread! Members of his family might be reading this...

In other news, today is a good day to bury bad news in the UK. Watch out for a scramble to release controversial stuff that won't even make the front page.

There are plans in place for how announcements about the deaths of various members of the Royal Family are handled.

The code phrase "London Bridge is down" is how the death of the Queen will be announced, and Operation London Bridge will be put into place.

Prince Philip's "Bridge" was Forth bridge, so the plans tat are being followed now are all to do with Operation Forth Bridge.

Operation Tay bridge, which was for the Queen Mother was used as the Basis for Princess Diana's death

It's sh1t like this that makes you lol at the whole preposterous nature of the royals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

only 30 allowed at a funeral in England, shud be a fun guest list

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Appalled at some of the insensitive comments on this thread! Members of his family might be reading this...

In other news, today is a good day to bury bad news in the UK. Watch out for a scramble to release controversial stuff that won't even make the front page.

This is true. I'm actually Princess Margaret.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

is_that_so wrote: »
    But was he or was he just extremely prone to some very old-fashioned non-PC ways of saying things?

Proper old school and had a very difficult early life that toughened him up.

He lost all personal control of his own life when his wife became queen, so I admire his defiance, even though I disagree with a lot of his opinions.

Not a hope in hell any of the younger ones would dare to be so unpc now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tough on the Queen losing a husband and a cousin on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

it's funny how he was liked in ireland because he came across as a shameless racist

I wasn't aware that Ireland had an official position on liking Prince Philip.

I am pretty sure he would have had very choice anti Irish tirades of the old school type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone know if Gardeners World is still on tonight?
    Was looking forward to watching Monty Don sowing vegetables rather than the news team mourning one.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Wonder how they will pick the 10 people for his funeral?
    Pity he didn't hang on till Monday, he could have had 25.

He's having his funeral in Ireland then?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

bubblypop wrote: »
    He's having his funeral in Ireland then?!

Didn't you hear we're opening up Croke Park again as if the shame from the last time wasn't enough

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's sh1t like this that makes you lol at the whole preposterous nature of the royals.

'London Bridge is down': the secret plan for the days after the Queen’s death

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

what? that they have plans for the death of their head of state? Do you REALLY think that there isn't a civil servant somewhere that doesn't have a plan in his desk drawer in case Micheal D dies in office?

• Advertisement

Do you not think there are preparations here, should the President die?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

His best bits

1. "Ghastly." Prince Philip's opinion of Beijing, during a 1986 tour of China.
    90. "Well, that's more than you know about anything else then." Speaking, a touch condescendingly, to Michael Buerk, after being told by the BBC newsreader that he did know about the Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Awards in 2004.

RIP Archbishop of Banterbury

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

State funerals are not something you plan in a couple of days.

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is true. I'm actually Princess Margaret.

Sorry for your loss. I have my suspicions that the Queen is on here too, she usually hangs out in the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Well that ruined my Friday afternoon listening. BBC Radio 6 and I guess all the BBC playing that memorial sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

BBC will be in full on nostalgia mode for the next few weeks.

Expect a lot of "royal watchers/experts" on TV ie. old white farts in blazers fawning over the Royals.

In the UK and I am dreading it.. read me book, Netflix and Boards until it's over.

It might have been a blood clot from the Oxford/Astrazenica jab...:eek:

That would be funny. The Brits are taking great offensive that the Oxford/Astrazenica jab is less than the world's greatest vaccine EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Going to be a bit awkward for Harry and Meghan at the funeral!

Unfortunately it will be awkward to everyone involved. Even the public, which would gladly boo them but won't be able to do it out of respect. But some incidents might happen anyway....

Sorry for your loss. I have my suspicions that the Queen is on here too, she usually hangs out in the cycling forum.

I suspect there are a lot of Queens over in the cycling forum.

• Advertisement

Nice of him to give the queen one less 100th birthday card to write.

Advertisement