Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It might have been a blood clot from the Oxford/Astrazenica jab...:eek:

That would be funny. The Brits are taking great offensive that the Oxford/Astrazenica jab is less than the world's greatest vaccine EVER.

So an own goal basically. They would have killed him indirectly themselves the fools.
    He lived a great lide and to a great age 99. He never wanted to see trible digits Sky themselves even said it. We are not here forever none of us are. I for one think the British are over doing it big time.
    Can't say I feel anything. We Irish owed him nothing but he might have owed us lots so good bye and good night sleep tight.
    Sabine Schmitz to me was a bigger loss to the World and to my world them him. I felt like I knew her hell even Katy French I felt like I knew her too and was heartbroken when she died.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Seeing Harry isn't actually a blood relative of Philip I'd say he would be well down the list of invitees.

I'd have no doubt it was Philip who coined the term "Hewitt's son".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was 99 years old, so he had good innings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The arsehole formerly known as Prince.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I suspect there are a lot of Queens over in the cycling forum.

I do tend to frequent it quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

misanthrope masquerading as a people-person is a lost art. so long philip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Can we have a block feature added to all tv coverage...??

That smug s**t Paul Burrell and his “my princess” crap will be on everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Look at me.

I'm so Irish I don't give a flying fook about the Royal Family.

PartridgeOP.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=1200&h=800&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

He never had to pay a bill or the mortgage or worry about going hungry or earn a wage in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There won't be a spear thrown in Tuvalu tonight.

I met him once at a function, he was surprisingly down to earth and very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

He never had to pay a bill or the mortgage or worry about going hungry or earn a wage in his life.
    22,219 official engagements over the course of 65 years, an average of almost one a day, every single day, for that time.

But yep, never did a jot of work alright.

He was certainly born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but let's not pretend he dossed about all day like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Forecast for the week ahead.....
    It will be wall to wall Prince Phillip this weekend I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

bubblypop wrote: »
    Do you not think there are preparations here, should the President die?

You'd hope there is but it might not have been updated since the 70s

NSAman wrote: »
    Can we have a block feature added to all tv coverage...??

Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

cdeb wrote: »
    22,219 official engagements over the course of 65 years, an average of almost one a day, every single day, for that time.

He was certainly born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but let's not pretend he dossed about all day like.

Ok...but that's quite a different point. The official engagements etc are to justfy their existence not to put food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

"Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

"So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs," he said of a 14-year-old boy while at a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002.

"You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

Just a few of the outright racist comments he'd publicly made. Funny thing is Sky News will be going into full 24/7 mourning for this lad and yet they've been bombarding us with black lives matter material for the last couple of years on their news and sports networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I'm surprised that the Grand National races scheduled for today are still taking place - albeit being broadcast on ITV4 instead of the main ITV channel. I thought all sporting events in the UK were suspended when the death of a senior royal took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

BanditLuke wrote: »
    "Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

"So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs," he said of a 14-year-old boy while at a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002.

"You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

Just a few of the outright racist comments he'd publicly made. Funny thing is Sky News will be going into full 24/7 mourning for this lad and yet they've been bombarding us with black lives matter material for the last couple of years on their news and sports networks.

You think Sky are pro BLM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He probably didn't consider this working:

Among other engagements, he was involved in the battle of Crete, and was mentioned in dispatches for his service during the battle of Cape Matapan...
    During the invasion of Sicily, in July 1943, as second in command of destroyer HMS Wallace, he saved his ship from a night bomber attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh#Naval_and_wartime_service

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ok...but that's quite a different point. The official engagements etc are to justfy their existence not to put food on the table.
    Yes, but he still had to work for his pay. And the Royal Family probably brings in money for England in terms of tourism.

I'm happy we don't have a monarchy or England's class system here, but I think the welfare scrounging stuff doesn't really stack up. ****ed if I'd manage 65 years having someone tell me what tea-cake fundraisers to go to tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Edgy ooooh

I like how "Not giving a ****" is a bizarre obsession with the british.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm so sad and shocked, I must prepare all the black clothes I have and do a week of mourning. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, i'm struggling to see the screen and write this because of all th tears. Anyone know when the funeral is on? I must live stream it.

Other than the news, no major coverage of the passing on RTÉ

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The family were exiled when he was an infant so I don't think there was much of a silver spoon initially. His father's life was believed to be in danger and they were lucky to be only exiled given what happened to the Romanovs including the children only 4 years before.

He joined the British Navy at 18, and served with distinction during the second world war and gave up his military career in 1952 when his wife became queen to assume royal duties, which he continued with almost daily until he was 96.

He had got plenty of faults but couldn't be called a dosser. After he married into the royals lived a life of immense privilege it's true but he was also quite innovative for them. He overcame palace resistance to televise the coronation, and was the first royal to actually approach people waiting at the ropes to shake hands and chat with them.

I do laugh at the ones on here moaning that their favourite British Broadcasting Corporation programme might be cancelled due to the death of a senior British royal.

Go watch fair city or a rerun of nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I do laugh at the ones on here moaning that their favourite British Broadcasting Corporation programme might be cancelled due to the death of a senior British royal.

Would Philip want this inconvenience hoisted on people?

Hmm I think we can conclude he would be rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Neyite wrote: »
    His father's life was believed to be in danger and they were lucky to be only exiled given what happened to the Romanovs including the children only 4 years before.
    It is amazing to think how old he was, and what a different world he was born into. That little snippet highlights it well. I also like that his birthday was 28th May. But in 1921, Greece was on the Julian Calendar still, and it was 10th June in the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

In fairness BBC Radio 6 is the only decent music station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I noticed that people always die near the DOB of close family members. It is always maximum in 2 weeks distance. And the Queen's DOB is 21st of April, so it proves my observation.

• Advertisement

Watching paint dry could be another option

Advertisement