Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I do laugh at the ones on here moaning that their favourite British Broadcasting Corporation programme might be cancelled due to the death of a senior British royal.

Go watch fair city or a rerun of nationwide.

With any luck it keeps all the little DUP scumbags out on the streets distracted for the night

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm surprised that the Grand National races scheduled for today are still taking place - albeit being broadcast on ITV4 instead of the main ITV channel. I thought all sporting events in the UK were suspended when the death of a senior royal took place.

For the Queen yes, anyone else nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RIP Philip

Will be joyous fun listening to our home grown simpering royalists talking about him in glowing terms and avoiding his racist and superiority gaffs.

Admiral qualities to be know for

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Greek immigrant on benefits dies in England.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cdeb wrote: »
    It is amazing to think how old he was, and what a different world he was born into. That little snippet highlights it well. I also like that his birthday was 28th May. But in 1921, Greece was on the Julian Calendar still, and it was 10th June in the rest of Europe.

It was very different times. Europe and Russia were in turmoil and many countries were at political boiling point.

Interestingly enough, Philip gave a DNA sample when two unmarked graves were thought to be two of the Grand Duchesses executed by Bolshevicks were found in 2007 enabling identification:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1202301/prince-philip-news-royal-family-romanov-mystery-solved-spt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Edgy ooooh

Quick! Avoid debate!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Actually, his mum was born in Windsor Castle and his grandfather on his father's side of the family was from Denmark! Greece got a non-Greek head of state after it broke free from the Ottoman Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Neyite wrote: »
    It was very different times. Europe and Russia were in turmoil and many countries were at political boiling point.

France and Belgium invaded part of Germany to enforce repayment of war debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Neyite wrote: »

Interestingly enough, Philip gave a DNA sample when two unmarked graves were thought to be two of the Grand Duchesses executed by Bolshevicks were found in 2007 enabling identification:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1202301/prince-philip-news-royal-family-romanov-mystery-solved-spt

On an entirely separate note since when did the 'Daily Express' become an acceptable source for anything?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Only heard about this on the 2 o clock news...genuinely shocked. Very sad

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

At least when Mrs Betty Windsor dies I'll get a few days off..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Spare a thought for these people. who will they worship now?
    The Prince Philip Movement is a religious sect followed by the Kastom people around Yaohnanen village on the southern island of Tanna in Vanuatu. It is a cargo cult of the Yaohnanen tribe,[1] who believed the late Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, to be a divine being.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement#:~:text=The%20Prince%20Philip%20Movement%20is,to%20be%20a%20divine%20being.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Their God died around Easter, which seems appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Seeing Harry isn't actually a blood relative of Philip I'd say he would be well down the list of invitees.

I'd have no doubt it was Philip who coined the term "Hewitt's son".
    As ginger grows older i can see Philip and Charles in him.
    However strong documented rumor that only the first 2 of his own kids are his fruit. Looking at them, it is hard to see any likeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

One needs to go into a bubble and shut out the BBC!

Meanwhile in California the Dook and Duchess of Suchsick are getting the onions out for some public wailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Watching some of the nonsense on Sky and BBC, and to think these people sneer at North Korea. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Actually he was really anything, but Greek.
    And when asked about it he said why would he love the country that killed his relatives and put a death sentence on his father.

Yes he was very much part of the British royalty.
    Yes he could be often very insulting in some of his comments.
    And that is not right.

But he could also be damn funny, quite astute and often very honest in his comments.

In this day and age were everyone is afraid to just bluntly come out and speak the truth his attitude was refreshing.

I am not allowed discuss …

It's the not the 1970s anymore boomer, most of us have moved on from animosity to the Royals.

It's not animosity to think the English make tits out of themselves over the royal family.

We are gonna get a week of rule britannia nonsense over a guy the English voted to "f*** off back to your own country" only a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭amovingstatue

Best spitting image royal....

spitting-image-tv-programme-507645e

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually he was really anything, but Greek.
    And when asked about it he said why would he love the country that killed his relatives and put a death sentence on his father.

Yes he was very much part of the British royalty.
    Yes he could be often very insulting in some of his comments.
    And that is not right.

But he could also be damn funny, quite astute and often very honest in his comments.

In this day and age were everyone is afraid to just bluntly come out and speak the truth his attitude was refreshing.

When did he speak this "truth". He didn't make astute comments about feminism, racism or immigration that the rest of us apparently afraid to say he just made crap racist Tommy Cooperesque jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

State funerals are not something you plan in a couple of days.

Gas too how the newspapers had everything ready to go and were just waiting to push the button. I'm sure all the articles were written years ago, updated over the last few weeks and then sadly, on notice just waiting for the nod over the last couple of days no doubt.

As said in another thread,deeply awkward for the Californian pair, cringe inducingly awkward on a world stage, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Great man, great consort to the queen, good father too. Not always politically correct in his mutterings, but that added to his character.

RIP Prince Philip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

hamburgham wrote: »
    Gas too how the newspapers had everything ready to go and were just waiting to push the button. I'm sure all the articles were written years ago, updated over the last few weeks and then sadly, on notice just waiting for the nod over the last couple of days no doubt.
    That's standard with any notable obituary in fairness.

Fairly sure one or two have been published previously in error (non royals).

You mean the British people and it's media are going to mourn the death of a senior royal?

What??? No!!!! How can this be???!

Mourn away but it really gets a bit over the top. They are still crying over Diana who was in reality nothing but a rich pampered nobody.

I think it is sad when a celebrity I like dies but I dont expect the collective breakdowns that the English go through over these people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yes, media outlets do have readymade obituaries ready. On occasion they have been accidently published.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Great man, great consort to the queen, good father too. Not always politically correct in his mutterings, but that added to his character.

RIP Prince Philip.

Was he a good father? He seems to have rather invented tough love, and bar Anne, ended up with a bunch of wets for children.

As said in another thread,deeply awkward for the Californian pair, cringe inducingly awkward on a world stage, lol.

of course it was all written in advance. Every reasonably famous person has an obituary written already that is updated regularly.

I'd take Prince Phillip making Irishman jokes over Harry lecturing me about White privilege anyday.

I have no time for either of them. Its not a one or the other situation

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Was he a good father? He seems to have rather invented tough love, and bar Anne, ended up with a bunch of wets for children.

did he invent it? that sort of parenting was par for the course for his generation.

Advertisement