Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The plan for his funeral is known as Operation Forth Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 26,419 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Was he a good father? He seems to have rather invented tough love, and bar Anne, ended up with a bunch of wets for children.

And one who is probably a nonse.

Not that I blame the parenting for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's the not the 1970s anymore boomer, most of us have moved on from animosity to the Royals.

Boomer? Can you explain that comment?

Why shouldn't people have animosity towards these unelected leaches? What mandate do they have?

Amazing to see how many people hold such undemocratic views.

Didn't he dress up in his Navy Uniform (Complete with Sabre) and march into Parliament during the financial crisis in 08 demanding to know "what the bloody hell was going on in this hive"

Madlad.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Boomer? Can you explain that comment?

Why shouldn't people have animosity towards these unelected leaches? What mandate do they have?

Amazing to see how many people hold such undemocratic views.

It's just people trying to show how much more "evolved" they are than other Irish people

• Advertisement

Thanks bro

What part of America are you from, "bro"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I do laugh at the ones on here moaning that their favourite British Broadcasting Corporation programme might be cancelled due to the death of a senior British royal.

Go watch fair city or a rerun of nationwide.

Thought Fair City was banned under the Geneva convention, cruel and unusual punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

Greek immigrant who lived off the British taxpayer for several decades passes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hamburgham wrote: »
    Gas too how the newspapers had everything ready to go and were just waiting to push the button. I'm sure all the articles were written years ago, updated over the last few weeks and then sadly, on notice just waiting for the nod over the last couple of days no doubt.
    It's not just the royals tbh, they do this with a lot of big celebrities.

Newspapers have vast files of ready-to-go obituaries on TV & movie stars, musicians, royals, politicians, etc.

It means when they do die, nobody has to go and research the deceased all over again, they just have to throw in a paragraph covering the few years since it was last updated, and it's ready to go.

BBC already have a "Prince Philip: A life in pictures" gallery up on their website. You can guarantee that's been sitting in "Draft" status just waiting to be published for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

This just in from the BBC:

"Some people have been leaving flowers outside Windsor Castle".

Incredible stuff.

No analysis of why he lived in a huge castle (many of them) and so many others in Britain live in poverty.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It's not just the royals tbh, they do this with a lot of big celebrities.

Newspapers have vast files of ready-to-go obituaries on TV & movie stars, musicians, royals, politicians, etc.

It means when they do die, nobody has to go and research the deceased all over again, they just have to throw in a paragraph covering the few years since it was last updated, and it's ready to go.

BBC already have a "Prince Philip: A life in pictures" gallery up on their website. You can guarantee that's been sitting in "Draft" status just waiting to be published for at least a year.

I would say they have had his prepped for quite a while now. Would do the same once any big celebrity hits a certain age ide say

This just in from the BBC:

"Some people have been leaving flowers outside Windsor Castle".

Incredible stuff.

No analysis of why he lived in a huge castle (many of them) and so many others in Britain live in poverty.

The dude is still warm. Probably not the time for an in-depth philosophical discussion on monarchy in all fairness.

State funerals are not something you plan in a couple of days.

But Coronavirus... how can they possibly consider a large State Funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How old is herself now?

The dude is still warm. Probably not the time for an in-depth philosophical discussion on monarchy in all fairness.

Why ?

"Don't speak ill of the dead" is such a stupid saying usually said to defend those who racked up a lot of ill stuff in their life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bambi wrote: »
    How old is herself now?

nearly 95

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Greek immigrant who lived off the British taxpayer for several decades passes away.

You borrowed that from Waterford Whispers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

branie2 wrote: »
    nearly 96

And still has all her facilities, obviously has the very best of medical care but fair play still.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I wonder what bad news stories will be buried today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭Penn

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I would say they have had his prepped for quite a while now. Would do the same once any big celebrity hits a certain age ide say

I think some media outlets have even posted it accidentally once or twice.

• Advertisement

I wonder what bad news stories will be buried today.

Well you’d hardly call someone dying a good news story, would ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well you’d hardly call someone dying a good news story, would ya?

I didn't. I commented that today would be a good to day release bad news stories as they would get buried in the wall to wall coverage of the death of Philip. I am unsure how that wasn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Seeing on The Guardian website that an investigation into benefits fraud has been launched, with palace insiders telling The Guardian that Philip's corpse was driven out of hospital months ago.

Hes been a walking corpse for years to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The king is dead, long live the king

I didn't. I commented that today would be a good to day release bad news stories as they would get buried in the wall to wall coverage of the death of Philip. I am unsure how that wasn't clear.

Fuzzy Friday brain here. My bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He did alright for marrying his cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

begbysback wrote: »
    The king is dead, long live the king

He was never the king. He was the Queen's consort - apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jake1 wrote: »
    But Coronavirus... how can they possibly consider a large State Funeral.

"Prince Philip will not lie in state and there will be no state funeral after his death
    [...]
    His ceremonial royal funeral will be televised and broadcast to the country with crowds anywhere to be discouraged.
    [...]
    It is thought a small, socially-distanced service will take place at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in Berkshire."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6906469/How-Prince-Philip-royal-ceremonial-funeral-Windsor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cdeb wrote: »
    Yes, but he still had to work for his pay. And the Royal Family probably brings in money for England in terms of tourism.

I'm happy we don't have a monarchy or England's class system here, but I think the welfare scrounging stuff doesn't really stack up. ****ed if I'd manage 65 years having someone tell me what tea-cake fundraisers to go to tomorrow.

This is stated a lot but it's not a true reflection of the tourist effect. The tourist industry would survive with or without the Royal Family being in situ. Balmoral, Buckingham Palace, Windsor will all remain / become attractions.

Look at Edinburgh Castle, makes millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Watching some of the nonsense on Sky and BBC, and to think these people sneer at North Korea. :o

Itv, bbc etc interrupted their broadcast to play the national anthem when news broke he had died.

Advertisement