If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDR issue with phillips 50PUS7805

Options
  • 09-04-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I've decided to get onto you about an issue I'm having with bad HDR quality when HDR mode is on with this Phillips TV.

I've seen on forums such as AVforums that a number of people having the same issue with this model.

Basically what is happening is no matter what settings I select the TV has a very bad time in HDR and dark areas.
    The TV has an extremely bad time with low quality videos especially from places like Youtube.

I bought this TV from you back in November, 
    My friend also bought another TV from you, A Samsung TV around 50 euros cheaper than I paid and he never has the same issue and this is with default settings.
    We live together so I was able to test his tv on the same video and the result was perfectly fine. His TV blurs low quality videos, Mine will create very harsh black artefacts that makes it unwatchable.

I have updated the TV itself to the latest firmware yesterday and there is a very slight improvement in quality.
    I have a high quality HDMI cable and I've tried all the inputs on the TV.

But at the moment on the PC I have to constantly toggle between HDR mode On and off depending on what I'm watching and my friend never has to do that with his 4K TV similarly priced.
    HDR CAN look good but only when it's not too dark but it looks horrendous on 90% of items.

It's not a very high priced TV so I'm not expecting the very best HDR quality but I'm certainly not expecting it to look horrendous either.
    but since its HDR10 and has Doly Vision I'm certainly expecting a base standard and it hasn't really given me that since November.

Please check out the screenshots of examples of what I mean.
    One is a still shot from a PC game showing how bad the TV is at doing gradients even in a still image.
    2 are from a 4K youtube video. In one you can see the Halo effects from the light.
    and in another you can see the black artefacts from grey areas.

Let me know what my options are here.
    I am using the "HDR GAME" preset on the TV FYI, If you know of any callobration settings recommended then please let me know.

Thanks very much,

All the best

Edit: I'm finding it difficult to post screenshots of the problem due to the size of even one being too large. Perhaps I can email them to you?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    I've decided to get onto you about an issue I'm having with bad HDR quality when HDR mode is on with this Phillips TV.

I've seen on forums such as AVforums that a number of people having the same issue with this model.

Basically what is happening is no matter what settings I select the TV has a very bad time in HDR and dark areas.
    The TV has an extremely bad time with low quality videos especially from places like Youtube.

My friend also bought another TV from you, A Samsung TV around 50 euros cheaper than I paid and he never has the same issue and this is with default settings.
    We live together so I was able to test his tv on the same video and the result was perfectly fine. His TV blurs low quality videos, Mine will create very harsh black artefacts that makes it unwatchable.

I have updated the TV itself to the latest firmware yesterday and there is a very slight improvement in quality.

But at the moment on the PC I have to constantly toggle between HDR mode On and off depending on what I'm watching and my friend never has to do that with his 4K TV similarly priced.
    HDR CAN look good but only when it's not too dark but it looks horrendous on 90% of items.

It's not a very high priced TV so I'm not expecting the very best HDR quality but I'm certainly not expecting it to look horrendous either.
    but since its HDR10 and has Doly Vision I'm certainly expecting a base standard and it hasn't really given me that since November.

One is a still shot from a PC game showing how bad the TV is at doing gradients even in a still image.
    2 are from a 4K youtube video. In one you can see the Halo effects from the light.

I am using the "HDR GAME" preset on the TV FYI, If you know of any callobration settings recommended then please let me know.

Thanks very much,

All the best

Edit: I'm finding it difficult to post screenshots of the problem due to the size of even one being too large. Perhaps I can email them to you?
    Hey Mcjmetroid.

Really sorry to hear you are having issues with the Philips 7805.

Have you tried to adjust any of the setting on the TV yourself to see if it makes any difference?
    You could try adjusting the Dynamic contrast and or Contrast mode to see if there is a difference.

If there is still no improvement if you could drop the above over to our service team in an email to service@Richersounds.ie along with your name and address they will be able to look up your account and will get back to you when they see if an engineer call out is required.

Please include any phots you can in the email.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this for you and not leave you unhappy with the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Thanks very much,

All the best

Hey Mcjmetroid.

Have you tried to adjust any of the setting on the TV yourself to see if it makes any difference?
    You could try adjusting the Dynamic contrast and or Contrast mode to see if there is a difference.

If there is still no improvement if you could drop the above over to our service team in an email to service@Richersounds.ie along with your name and address they will be able to look up your account and will get back to you when they see if an engineer call out is required.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this for you and not leave you unhappy with the TV.
    I've followed a few "guidelines" online to try get a better quality picture ya.

I'll send an email to that team. Thanks for thereply

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks very much,

All the best

Hey Mcjmetroid.

I've followed a few "guidelines" online to try get a better quality picture ya.

I'll send an email to that team. Thanks for thereply
    No problem Mcjmetriod.

I'll also drop them a message to tell them to keep their eye out for your email and to get back to you as quickly as they can.

If there are any issues drop me a post or PM.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.