Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you look at Ireland as part of the EU, it's a massive chunk of the world population that pollutes an awful lot - and drives production of crap in the likes of China. All that useless tat they sell in Lidl and Aldi isn't produced in the EU.
    We could stop outsourcing production and bring it back to Europe, and it'll cost a fortune to buy certain things then. That would probably be best for all as we'd be likely to buy less things.

5-6% of the world's population , so Ireland is 0.005%

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nullzero wrote: »
    It isn't.

The elephant in the room is the lack of action from the countries causing the most problems.

This is a global issue. Everyone needs to be singing off of the same hymn sheet for any action taken to be productive.

Jumping from stating that China and India aren't doing anything to being equal to saying therefore we shouldn't bother isn't a realistic reflection of what's being said.

You mean like some agreement, that maybe could be identified using the name of the city in which representatives from all these countries got together discussed the issues and signed up to an agreement that they were committing they would adhere to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

5-6% of the world's population , so Ireland is 0.005%

We're all on the same planet. You could say any region is a irrelevant because of their population. A worldwide effort is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Your posting history suggests otherwise. Any opportunity to put the boot in to Ryanair is never missed despite your hatred for them being misplaced.

I dislike Michael o Leary more than the company but I have very little time for aer lingus either let me be clear I have no issue with them once carbon neutral

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Greenland is actually getting colder

• Advertisement

I have no issue with them once carbon neutral
    Based on current technology that is not possible but they are better than the legacies who you never comment about. Train or Boat aren't carbon neutral either but you conveniently ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You mean like some agreement, that maybe could be identified using the name of the city in which representatives from all these countries got together discussed the issues and signed up to an agreement that they were committing they would adhere to.

China is ramping up its use of fossil fuels and expects its emissions to peak in the next 10 years and is stating it will be carbon neutral within 40 years. We are being told carbon emissions need to fall drastically within 10 years to stop catastrophic problems with the environment.

Put simply China is not doing enough and will always put its own interests first.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Google the hockey stick graph

Would you ever give the hockey stick graph a rest.

We're all on the same planet. You could say any region is a irrelevant because of their population. A worldwide effort is required.

Asia isn't, Africa isn't, North America isn't, Australia isn't, giant entity that's Russia isn't, most of Eastern Europe isn t , can see UK backing out of EU climate agreements so it look like we'll be starving and freezing all by ourselves ,no doubt watched by Ryan from his parents hedge fund holiday villa in the Bahamas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Flights to some kip package hol in costa del whatever should be prohibitively expensive

Instead why not foster the growth of eco holidays in Ireland. Makes sense economically and more importantly ecologically

Ya own a hotel here or what

• Advertisement

Ya own a hotel here or what

Green party parents are mostly ultra capitalists so likely

Asia isn't, Africa isn't, North America isn't, Australia isn't, giant entity that's Russia isn't, most of Eastern Europe isn t , can see UK backing out of EU climate agreements so it look like we'll be starving and freezing all by ourselves ,no doubt watched by Ryan from his parents hedge fund holiday villa in the Bahamas

Sleepy Joe just announced a huge ambitious climate plan

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2021/04/10/joe-bidens-climate-gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Green party parents are mostly ultra capitalists so likely

They'd have you believe they knit their own 'sustainable' hair shirts though.

heroics wrote: »
    Would you ever give the hockey stick graph a rest.
    or maybe localise it to something more local like a hurl or a shinty stick.

The Africans wont be doing the damage, it's rich countries like Ireland and their citizens who pollute the most per capita, far more than India and China. We're all EU citizens, nearly 500 million people, we all need to cut our footprints.

When they all arrive in the western world doing the same thing?

They'd have you believe they knit their own 'sustainable' hair shirts though.

It's strictly do as I say not as I do, Gormley claimed expenses even when the Dail was locked shut

We’ve moved onto general climate change, which is fine. However our mere existence, including the poorest, is unsustainable at the moment.

The war against air travel, which is a fairly insignificant percentage, is clearly a class war though. And particularly stupid on this island. Ireland would literally collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Irelands disregard for carbon emissions pales in comparison to China. We could be carbon neutral tomorrow and our contribution would be so insignificant as to make no difference whatsoever when compared to the emissions spewed out by China and India.

We’re all live on the one planet, if you don’t change than you can’t rant on about China.

How bout sowing a few hectares of proper forestry. Instead of taxing the ****e out of people for basic needs. More tax on food, tax on power, tax on clothes,tax on the ****e ya take tomorrow morning. All a little much isnt it.

China is ramping up its use of fossil fuels and expects its emissions to peak in the next 10 years and is stating it will be carbon neutral within 40 years. We are being told carbon emissions need to fall drastically within 10 years to stop catastrophic problems with the environment.

Put simply China is not doing enough and will always put its own interests first.

It’s a bit unfair to expect the developing world to act better than the west, since the west has polluted for much longer. Whataboutary anyway.

The way to solve climate change is through technology. The punitive stuff won’t work.

• Advertisement

Ever wonder where the thugs who used to join the priesthood went? They are now paid up Green party activists

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We’re all live on the one planet, if you don’t change than you can’t rant on about China.

If the argument is getting away from you the option to completely ignore the facts and be belligerent is always open.

Glazers Out!

How bout sowing a few hectares of proper forestry. Instead of taxing the ****e out of people for basic needs. Moe tax on food, tax on power, tax on clothes,tax on the ****e ya take tomorrow morning. All a little much isnt it.

Trees won’t do it. That just stores carbon temporarily.

However your sentiment is right. Punitive actions won’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Trees won’t do it. That just stores carbon temporarily.

However your sentiment is right. Punitive actions won’t work.

Alternative facts are what won’t work.

When they all arrive in the western world doing the same thing?

So let's change the western world

It’s a bit unfair to expect the developing world to act better than the west, since the west has polluted for much longer. Whataboutary anyway.

The way to solve climate change is through technology. The punitive stuff won’t work.

There's no tech that will let us have whatever we want whenever we want in a sustainable manner. We are all living beyond our means, Chaz was a Green at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It seems to make no sense to me that flying should be targeted by the GP when we live on an island.

I'm all for changing habits as long as there is a choice. Restrict car usage by providing pubic transport options as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

lol, I would love it so much if SF got in power and started pushing for harder carbon taxes etc.

i think the opposite is why it never got far with discussions between Sinn fein and the greens. SF didn't want more taxes on ordinary joe soaps, greens did.

did a websearch
    found this
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/52894

“Increasing taxes does not help low and middle income families to change to modern fuel efficient cars or to upgrade their homes. It just makes it harder for them to meet their bills.

i'm not a SF die hard, but i agree on this, we had a choice recently, replace an oil burner that was feiced or go "energy effecient" €2.5k vs €50K+ in debt on top of other debts

while we were looking at it this happened

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hundreds-of-homeowners-to-lose-out-on-retrofit-grants-1.3985470
    i don't know but surely eamon ryan and co has it replaced with a far better scheme now ?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

It seems to make no sense to me that flying should be targeted by the GP when we live on an island.

I'm all for changing habits as long as there is a choice. Restrict car usage by providing pubic transport options as an example

maybe it's why the latest red bull advert on tv doesn't talk about giving you wings... maybe eamon thought we'd all just have a swig of red bull to go on a hol abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

lol, I would love it so much if SF got in power and started pushing for harder carbon taxes etc.

SF are for higher income and wealth taxes.

The GP is for higher carbon taxes.

The higher carbon taxes are more sensible than higher income taxes.

Advertisement