Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Africans wont be doing the damage, it's rich countries like Ireland and their citizens who pollute the most per capita, far more than India and China. We're all EU citizens, nearly 500 million people, we all need to cut our footprints.

Yes, we do.

Mind you, when I read about new railways being built in China to carry 200 million tons of coal, I wonder why do we bother?

https://www.google.com/search?q=China+new+coal+railway&oq=China+new+coal+railway&aqs=chrome..69i57.4552j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

NO. That is wrong. GNP is distorted too. I'm not going searching for the articles where that was proved either. It was true-economics blogspot from Constantin Gurdgiev I think but I'm not going looking.
    Ireland is one of the most indebted nations in the world and the GDP and GNP figures are inflated hugely but most especially GDP.

Both of ye are correct.

Ireland has high incomes, yes, and also a very large public debt.

Geuze wrote: »
    SF are for higher income and wealth taxes.

The GP is for higher carbon taxes.

The higher carbon taxes are more sensible than higher income taxes.

Well, for some. Carbon taxes are a form of regressive taxation. I’m not surprised that SF is opposed. They are in many ways anti-tax, or rather anti the tax that effects their voters.

Edit:

No mention of carbon taxes here.

[url] https://www.sinnfein.ie/a-fair-tax-system[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SF are for higher income and wealth taxes.

The GP is for higher carbon taxes.

The higher carbon taxes are more sensible than higher income taxes.

Makes no sense at all, the clown Ryan thinks that it's a good idea to retrofit a 3 bed house at a price of circa €70k complete with heat pump etc, it will only take the owner 30 years plus to break even. You then have the grants available for this allowing people to fit wood burning stoves, what a complete bloody shambles, it makes the VW defeat device seem reasonable. Bloody joke of a country and that prick Dermot Bannon pretty much 100% features these wanker stoves in every house he does on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I'm being choked by those stoves in the middle of a city centre as a load of my neighbours installed them. It's so bad my eyes sting some nights and you can smell smoke all over the place.

As for the cutting off access to aviation, you'd want to remember that we're an island. We could end up extremely isolated if aviation becomes unaffordable and the only environmentally friendly option would be emigration to a higher population area like continental Europe or the US as it will just become uncompetitive to operate from here.

• Advertisement
    M

I'm being choked by those stoves in the middle of a city centre as a load of my neighbours installed them. It's so bad my eyes sting some nights and you can smell smoke all over the place.

I've people living near me have the stoves burning during the summer, must be heating their water, what a bloody kip to live in. Similar quality of life to living in Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got as far as the end of the first page (40 posts) before I had to skip to the end.

Firstly, Ryan is living in a fantasy world as are most of the Green types - those who aren't trying to tax everything that is, fighting among themselves over party ideology, or planning to welcome every chancer on the planet with a free house and welfare payments.

Secondly, no one should be surprised at this really given the performance last time they were in Government. They managed to create a two tier motor tax system that instantly devalued perfectly good cars on the "old" system overnight, and then made "de environment" worse by taxing everything except a new diesel to ridiculous levels.

Thirdly, they got 7% of the vote of those who actually turned out last year. They have no mandate to be making such far reaching and sweeping changes for this country. Were it not for Micheal Martin's crusade to not be the only FF leader not to get the top job, the Greens would still be the irrelevant middle-class virtue-signalling fringe group sitting on the sidelines.

Fourthly, this country is an island and hugely dependent on foreign investment, trade and travel for everything from tourism to employment. Given the financial shock we are about to face when the tens of billions spent as part of the Covid response have to be repaid, coupled with stuff like Biden's plans to increase the corporation tax rate of companies we absolutely depend on here, why we would willingly jeopardise all that is beyond me.

And finally, after everything this country has been through in the past 12 months, I am frankly horrified by how readily some seem to be to further curtail freedoms and equal access to things for a few attaboys on social media and Eamon and Co. Have people really lost that much perspective and ability to consider the wider picture beyond a few Twitter posts and trending/populist crusading?

I'm at the stage, I would nearly consider moving it's so bad. I literally smell burning wood in my bedrooms at night and it just makes me cough and my eyes sting.

I had words and was more or less told to politely that I should mind my own business.

So much for 21st century Ireland. I shouldn't have to be worrying about air quality in this day and age.

It's had a huge negative impact on my quality of life. I've HEPA air filters running all night in the bedrooms, including tonight trying to prevent me waking up with a cough. I can't leave the windows shut entirely as it just gets too stuffy.

I never had this problem before this 'plague of stoves'.

They were the most poorly thought out policy I've ever come across. It might be suitable for very low density housing in the middle of nowhere but it should never, ever have been allowed in cities or towns.

It's the same with the drive to diesel, more so on the continent. The air quality in some of the bigger cities like Paris plummeted as a result of that.

I'm at the stage, I would nearly consider moving it's so bad. I literally smell burning wood in my bedrooms at night and it just makes me cough and my eyes sting.

I had words and was more or less told to politely that I should mind my own business.

So much for 21st century Ireland. I shouldn't have to be worrying about air quality in this day and age.

It's had a huge negative impact on my quality of life. I've HEPA air filters running all night in the bedrooms, including tonight trying to prevent me waking up with a cough. I can't leave the windows shut entirely as it just gets too stuffy.

They were the most poorly thought out policy I've ever come across. It might be suitable for very low density housing in the middle of nowhere but it should never, ever have been allowed in cities or towns.

Is this stove burning something the Green Party are pushing?

M

There's brand new A rated houses in Dublin being built with these stoves, who in the jaysus is at the wheel?

• Advertisement

In my case it's two neighbours who installed wood pellet central heating and wood burning stoves in the other two.

It's producing hideous amounts of smoke.

To say I'm fed up with it is an understatement.

We seem to think absolutely nothing though in this country when it comes to policies like this. Local air pollution issues are enormous in a lot of urban areas. The air quality in Cork City for example is absolutely horrendous on any still night. Between coal burning and wood burning, you can taste the air.

I actually found it's better some nights when out walking to just wear a FFP2 mask. I started wearing them due to the COVID situation and suddenly realised they were making my breathing much better when out for walks in the city during the lockdown.

I should not have to do that in a 21st century Western European city. It's a total disgrace.

We're going around in circles about energy policies and talking about talking about stuff while doing absolutely feck all about serious issues around air pollution, river pollution incidents from sewage systems and all of that.

All they seem to want to talk about is aircraft, when we live on a fecking island and it's the only way of realistically getting to or from it.

Get on with the off shore wind energy and speed that up and put some effort into getting the cost of green energy down. When you remove tax, we have the most expensive electricity in Europe. We actually don't charge that much tax on it. The base product is just extremely pricy.

Also what happened stuff like these ambitious e-car projects? They never took off. The charging infrastructure was crap and unreliable.

The bike schemes in the cities are crap and unreliable with regular issues with out of service stations and so on.

Public transport is pathetic in my experience of it in Cork. To the point I'd be loathed to rely on it. That's an absolute disgrace for a city of 1/4 million ish.

All I see and hear is talk, talk, brochures, talk and more talk or totally unrealistic proposals.

M

They could make it illegal in the morning but won't, having it on new builds is criminal, crooked crooked organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

The power is getting to Eamon's head more by the day.

I'd add that we've also managed to incentivise domestic waste burning in fire places and stoves due to high waste charges. I'm hearing plenty of people who seem to think it's completely acceptable to put rubbish straight into solid fuel burning appliances or fire places.

If that's going on across urban areas who know's what's in the atmosphere. It would certainly explain some of the extremely poor air quality experienced in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I got as far as the end of the first page (40 posts) before I had to skip to the end.

Firstly, Ryan is living in a fantasy world as are most of the Green types - those who aren't trying to tax everything that is, fighting among themselves over party ideology, or planning to welcome every chancer on the planet with a free house and welfare payments.

Secondly, no one should be surprised at this really given the performance last time they were in Government. They managed to create a two tier motor tax system that instantly devalued perfectly good cars on the "old" system overnight, and then made "de environment" worse by taxing everything except a new diesel to ridiculous levels.

Thirdly, they got 7% of the vote of those who actually turned out last year. They have no mandate to be making such far reaching and sweeping changes for this country. Were it not for Micheal Martin's crusade to not be the only FF leader not to get the top job, the Greens would still be the irrelevant middle-class virtue-signalling fringe group sitting on the sidelines.

Fourthly, this country is an island and hugely dependent on foreign investment, trade and travel for everything from tourism to employment. Given the financial shock we are about to face when the tens of billions spent as part of the Covid response have to be repaid, coupled with stuff like Biden's plans to increase the corporation tax rate of companies we absolutely depend on here, why we would willingly jeopardise all that is beyond me.

And finally, after everything this country has been through in the past 12 months, I am frankly horrified by how readily some seem to be to further curtail freedoms and equal access to things for a few attaboys on social media and Eamon and Co. Have people really lost that much perspective and ability to consider the wider picture beyond a few Twitter posts and trending/populist crusading?

I skipped to the end, because unlike the vast majority of posters, I actually listened to the interview rather than glancing at the headline.
    The proposed taxation measure is not actually a green party initiative, but an EU one. And yes, the idea is to make it more expensive to fly in order to reduce the amount of discretionary journeys (>98%).

M

I'd add that we've also managed to incentivise domestic waste burning in fire places and stoves due to high waste charges. I'm hearing plenty of people who seem to think it's completely acceptable to put rubbish straight into solid fuel burning appliances or fire places.

If that's going on across urban areas who know's what's in the atmosphere. It would certainly explain some of the extremely poor air quality experienced in this city.

Drones should be up, €5k fines handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's the same with the drive to diesel, more so on the continent. The air quality in some of the bigger cities like Paris plummeted as a result of that.

Stoves were never a policy. Stoves replaced equally dirty open fires because it is impossible to get a good BER with an open flue. The real issue is the sale of wet wood, which had now been banned.

Drones should be up, €5k fines handed out.

Probably not really enforceable. We setup a huge cost waste market by privatising collection and hiking the costs repeatedly. The result isn't a reduction in waste volumes being produced, it's in collections.

There is waste ending up in the environment through illegal dumping and burning isn't even easy to quantify.

We should have been implanting much better removal at source of waste by incentivising reductions in packaging. How we are using the highest volume of plastic per capita in Europe is beyond me. We need to deal with that urgently.

We have also managed to come up with business models for bins that are often charging per lift for recycling and compost, which is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Airlines and passengers should pay the actual cost of the damage done to the environment by air travel.

But its not the airlines paying , its us, not even on travel but we’re an island nation in the EU , our ‘landbridge’ transport is to a now non EU country, the only way to transport cargo from our EU neighbours quickly is via air, which makes up most of the air load, oassengers are just happy accident profits, we’d only be doing ourselves in on the orice of imported fresh food and consumer goods. Holidays obviously would be hurt too but thats looking at it in a very small minded sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Your making that up. It’s coal, diesel and petrol that are the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

satguy wrote: »
    Eamon thinks we should not get low cost flights, and load up the kids into the car and head to Courtown instead.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/government-hoping-stop-cheap-flights-23884292

Might be better for all, if Eamon stays asleep.
    Eamon doesn't know his facts.

In Ireland the top 10% cause more pollution than the bottom 50%.

So pull the other one.

Yes, we do.

Mind you, when I read about new railways being built in China to carry 200 million tons of coal, I wonder why do we bother?

https://www.google.com/search?q=China+new+coal+railway&oq=China+new+coal+railway&aqs=chrome..69i57.4552j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Again they are transporting coal to factories that make junk to sell to the west. The west has simple exported industrial pollution to China much like Ireland exports its young people every few decade yet America and Europe still spew out a huge chunk of the CO2, NOX, sulphur dioxide etc.

Eamon doesn't know his facts.

In Ireland the top 10% cause more pollution than the bottom 50%.

So pull the other one.

Have 40% of the population disappeared?

Have 40% of the population disappeared?
    No but its not necessary for the comparison.:rolleyes:

We are not comparing the ENTIRE population got it?

Actually its even worse globally its the top 1%
    World's Richest One Percent Are Producing More Than Double the Carbon Emissions as the Bottom 50 Percent. A new report from Oxfam found that the wealthiest one percent of the world produced a carbon footprint that was more than double that of the bottom 50 percent of the world, The Guardian reported

But that is taking into account less developed countries.

In ireland
    In Ireland, the richest 10% of the population emits nearly the same emissions as the bottom 50%. THE RICHEST 1% of the world's population are responsible for more than double the carbon pollution of the poorest half of humanity, new research has found.

https://www.thejournal.ie/oxfam-report-climate-change-5210579-Sep2020/

No but its not necessary for the comparison.:rolleyes:

We are not comparing the ENTIRE population got it?

No.
    What would be more accurate would be that 10% f the global population, ie the west, emit 90% of pollution.

No.
    What would be more accurate would be that 10% f the global population, ie the west, emit 90% of pollution.
    In Ireland, the richest 10% of the population emits nearly the same emissions as the bottom 50%

Specific to Ireland.
    In Ireland, the richest 10% of the Irish population emits nearly as much consumption emissions as the bottom 50%, despite there being five times more people in the bottom 50% – 2.3 million people compared to around 475,000.
    Globally its 1% vrs the bottom 50%.

Also the west includes certain countries like Brazil etc. Peru same which I don't think you mean when you refer to the west.

Also China is not in the west but a huge contributer.

New Zealand and Australia are not in the west either but are fully developed countries.

Guatemala and Haiti are also in the west.

In Ireland, the richest 10% of the population emits nearly the same emissions as the bottom 50%

Specific to Ireland.

Globally its 1% vrs the bottom 50%.

Also the west includes certain countries like Brazil etc. Peru same which I don't think you mean when you refer to the west.

Also China is not in the west but a huge contributer.

New Zealand and Australia are not in the west either but are fully developed countries.

Guatemala and Haiti are also in the west.

the global north then knock you’re self out googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

The two Ryans......one makes people happy for getting them to their holidays once a year (Ryanair)....and the other Ryan trying to destroy people's chances of ever being happy (Eamonn Ryan) .

Which do you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The Green's want us all living back in the dark ages when a holiday was a trip to Dingle or Tramore in the back of a caravan for a week. They'll never see a single vote from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Boil your head Eamon along with the Greens. We drive 1.2 litre juice misers to work as we have no good rail networks. Meanwhile every second house in New York drive a big 56 litre jeep (joking).

We are irrelevant here in Ireland. I suggest Green lovers move to China or the state's where they can implement changes that will matter.

Advertisement