Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What do people expect from a Green politician anyway? Do people think any Green party in the world wants cheaper flights and the expansion of airports etc? Of course they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why isn’t the likes of Ryan championing the banning of coal and oil in heating buildings ? Gas and electricity are far more greener... there is something that CAN be done....

There are roughly 2.2 million residential properties in Ireland give or take... by 2033 have every building in Ireland, those 2.2 million residential properties plus every business.. only of the ability to power and heat their properties via electricity and then as better solar tech comes available.. that too..

Strumms wrote: »
    Why isn’t the likes of Ryan championing the banning of coal and oil in heating buildings ? Gas and electricity are far more greener... there is something that CAN be done....

There are roughly 2.2 million residential properties in Ireland give or take... by 2033 have every building in Ireland, those 2.2 million residential properties plus every business.. only of the ability to power and heat their properties via electricity and then as better solar tech comes available.. that too..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eamon-ryan-s-smoky-coal-consultation-meets-mixed-public-reaction-1.4487873

Once you mention not burning things to heat houses, rural politicians go nuts.

I think Ryan is going a great job so far with his climate action bill, probably putting time pressure on the ESB to make the Moneypoint announcement, further investment in public transport.

He also annoys exactly the right people, so bonus points for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eamon-ryan-s-smoky-coal-consultation-meets-mixed-public-reaction-1.4487873

Once you mention not burning things to heat houses, rural politicians go nuts.

Yeah because everyone has a few grand down the back of the couch to upgrade their home to all singing all dancing greenness.

• Advertisement

The problem with all this greenisms is it’s so middle classes. Want to do this properly give people vouchers to travel.

Allinall wrote: »
    It won't.

The vast majority of air travel is optional, so they would be penalising themselves.

That’s a non sequitur. Of course all holiday travel is optional. But it becomes non optional if you can’t afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Good, and dead right, cheap flights to costa del dump are morally bankrupt. Make people pay proper prices by applying polluter pays rules and then let them go. I’m sure a grand for a flight to southern Spain would make a lot of people think twice about booking.

screamer wrote: »
    Good, and dead right, cheap flights to costa del dump are morally bankrupt. Make people pay proper prices by applying polluter pays rules and then let them go. I’m sure a grand for a flight to southern Spain would make a lot of people think twice about booking.

Except the rich, am I right? A few grand per person to southern Spain and everybody’s stuck on this island except the very rich. Meanwhile are there still private jets in this brave new world?

Air travel isn’t a major contributor to climate change but if it needs to be regulated then start at the top.

Except the rich, am I right? A few grand per person to southern Spain and everybody’s stuck on this island except the very rich. Meanwhile are there still private jets in this brave new world?

Air travel isn’t a major contributor to climate change but if it needs to be regulated then start at the top.

Only the rich have big houses and drive new Mercedes too.
    Should we tax the rich a lot more and increase welfare and other benefits to bring about more equality?
    I'd be up for it anyway.

• Advertisement

Only the rich have big houses and drive new Mercedes too.
    Should we tax the rich a lot more and increase welfare and other benefits to bring about more equality?

Sure but no related to this thread. I'm in favour of a 100% death tax myself.

Now do you want to answer my question without asking another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

screamer wrote: »

If we're going to make foreign holidays the preserve of the rich then I'm sure Eamon Ryan and his fellow inhabitants of Clonskeagh and similarly affluent areas will be happy to have their accommodation in foreign hotels ramped up 1000% to make up the deficit of lost revenue from the great unwashed no longer being able to contribute to the tourism industry.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Another reason to move to mainland Europe. At least you have a fantastic road and rail network to reach a wonderful array to destinations. The thoughts of holidays in court town or salthill is beyond depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

satguy wrote: »
    Eamon thinks we should not get low cost flights, and load up the kids into the car and head to Courtown instead.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/government-hoping-stop-cheap-flights-23884292

Might be better for all, if Eamon stays asleep.

Delighted to see this

This is a good start

There should be a carbon levy on all tickets - “unnecessary” travel should be prohibitively expensive

And also green taxes on all the carriers and the airports themselves.

Dublin airport should be committed to reducing traffic for the next 50 years.

Why do I say this ? Google the hockey stick graph...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

satguy wrote: »
    Eamon thinks we should not get low cost flights, and load up the kids into the car and head to Courtown instead.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/government-hoping-stop-cheap-flights-23884292

Might be better for all, if Eamon stays asleep.

Yep, couldn't agree more, Poor Eaomon desperately hoping to be relevant and failing abysmally.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Flights to some kip package hol in costa del whatever should be prohibitively expensive

Instead why not foster the growth of eco holidays in Ireland. Makes sense economically and more importantly ecologically

I propose rather than a regressive tax on airplanes etc we have a carbon allowance which will allow you to short haul every year, if you wake some sacrifices elsewhere. For instance if you don't have a car or buy an electric car. Or have good insulation, or use a carbon free electric provider. Also the government should subsidise houses to a high insolation standard.

Long haul once a decade, maybe. No private jets. No exemptions for businessmen. Or globe trotting luvvies.

of course this won't happen. Green ideology is fine but in most countries its an upper class ideology. The one guy I know who is a member is ex PD

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Another reason to move to mainland Europe. At least you have a fantastic road and rail network to reach a wonderful array to destinations. The thoughts of holidays in court town or salthill is beyond depressing

I tried training around Europe two years ago, its not as easy as you think, yet.

It is nice to avoid the security checks though, although Spain has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Fcukin eco doomers making life miserable for the rest of us.

Do they know we live on an island on the edge of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd like to see charges based on how many flights you take in a year. So no charge for your first return flight. Maybe €20 each way for your second, €40 each way for your third and so on. That way you're only really discouraging the people taking heaps of flights each year and not the family that go on one holiday.

It's a real problem and we do need to tackle it. And I'd rather see it tackled in some sort of equitable way.

Another way which could be very interesting would be to give people a quota on how many flights you can take per year and to make it transferrable. So if the average person takes 2 return flights per year, give everyone a quota of 2 return flights. If you want to take a third you'll have to buy someone else's allowance. This would actually be a nice way to redistribute the wealth directly a little as opposed to going through the governments hands. So if someone can't afford to go on holidays every year, they can actually get compensated a little for that by the person who wants to go on 4 trips a year.

Obviously business travel would be complicated. But I'm just shooting out ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Flights to some kip package hol in costa del whatever should be prohibitively expensive

Instead why not foster the growth of eco holidays in Ireland. Makes sense economically and more importantly ecologically

Because Ireland is a depressing place with dreadful weather and two weeks holidays in Ireland would buy you 4 or 5 foreign holidays.

Even with expensive air travel foreign holidays would probably represent better value for money than Irish holidays with hotels that are free to up their prices as they feel like it, most of which lack basic facilities like air conditioning or leisure centres.

Can you imagine the Irish hoteliers wringing their hands at the thought of a summer season where they could legally scalp people to stay in their hotels all enforced by the Green party?

Glazers Out!

I hope yer joking. How will Ireland make up for lost tourism revenue?

We should encourage tourists to visit Ireland using solar powered ferries. These are the coming transport solution and will be a green power horse mode of transport in the future. Google them.

Dirty fossil fuel airlines are the past. Have no problem with aviation IF it is carbon neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The problem with all this greenisms is it’s so middle classes. Want to do this properly give people vouchers to travel.

This.
    Either everyone has to pull together or no-one. No exemptions for the well off, politicians or their cronies.
    But, yeah, good luck with that, easier to punch down than up. Fierce bang of snobbery off this thread too.

This.
    Either everyone has to pull together or no-one. No exemptions for the well off, politicians or their cronies.
    But, yeah, good luck with that, easier to punch down than up.

I would agree. Maybe even a “ration” of airline miles per person annually.

Strumms wrote: »
    So he’s kicking airlines and airline passengers. An industry that brings about 4 billion per year into the economy.

We are a fûcking ISLAND nation. The guy is an absolute clown.

We rely on the aviation industry massively as an island nation for the movement of people AND imports and exports..

Main Freight / Cargo Exports :

Pharmaceuticals, medical devices, IT equipment, machinery, foodstuffs...

Ireland as an island nation will ALWAYS have a NEED for air travel as a primary means of transport for people and goods between ourselves and other country’s ...

Instead of trying to derail this fact of life, Ryan would be better off encouraging the likes of the purchasers of hybrid cars to get a two year exemption from paying road tax.

Thanks for that rant.

Now If you have calmed down have a Google of the hockey stick graph and try to see what cheap flights and the fossil fuel aviation industry is doing the planet.

Increasing the price of air trave will just penalise the poor.

It should penalise heavy users of Carbon pollution end of. That carbon is what is effing up the climate

BanditLuke wrote: »

I like Ireland but, yes, I would go to Germany where we have family. Ireland would die a death if flights were curtailed like the class warriors on here suggest. Its telling that's it's all "cheap flights to Spain" and not flights to Paris, or Rome they rail against.

Prohibitively expensive would stop all worker migration as well not just tourism, unless by "prohibitively expensive" it includes the middle classes, which I doubt. nobody is going to come work in Ireland in Google if it takes them a week by boat from India, or two days by bus, train and boat from Poland. The last place that should be celebrating an effective ban on air travel is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

No, like everything, if you can’t afford it, it’s something you need to save up for and enjoy as a rarity. Same as all things in life. Things that are too cheap cost the earth, literally and that’s what’s wrong. Too many humans consuming every single thing in sight, if cost inhibits entitlement so be it

Another chance for all the lefties to call this "An attack on the most vulnerable in society".

Crash and burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We should encourage tourists to visit Ireland using solar powered ferries. These are the coming transport solution and will be a green power horse mode of transport in the future. Google them.

Dirty fossil fuel airlines are the past. Have no problem with aviation IF it is carbon neutral

You almost had me there :)

Advertisement