Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

It should penalise heavy users of Carbon pollution end of. That carbon is what is effing up the climate

Great, but how does your "prohibitively expensive" affect the rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The arrogance of the eco-mentalist. Not everyone who travels is a lager lout. Feel to stay in rainy Ireland for the rest of your life, just don't expect everyone else to do the same.

What are you on about.

I don’t care if you are a lager lout or a champagne aristocrat

What I do care about is the aviation industry spewing out carbon for unnecessary stupid journeys

It’s a disgusting dirty industry

Great, but how does your "prohibitively expensive" affect the rich?

Maybe rising ticket prices depending on income

So rich man has to pay a 1000 levy

Poorer man a 500 levy etc

screamer wrote: »
    No, like everything, if you can’t afford it, it’s something you need to save up for and enjoy as a rarity. Same as all things in life. Things that are too cheap cost the earth, literally and that’s what’s wrong. Too many humans consuming every single thing in sight, if cost inhibits entitlement so be it

So the average guy has to save up for a trip to Spain once a decade and the billionaires get to still fly private jets.

Do you guys understand that there are more ways to reduce usage rather than the price mechanism?

Maybe rising ticket prices depending on income

Income? Trump would get a lot of flights on his $700 a year. Income can be hidden.

The non price mechanism to handle scarcity is some kind of voucher system. I never see the greens suggest that.

• Advertisement

Income? Trump would get a lot of flights on his $700 a year. Income can be hidden.

The non price mechanism to handle scarcity is some kind of voucher system. I never see the greens suggest that.

Personally would welcome a ration system coupled with levy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surely cheap flights work both ways, bringing Spaniards back to Ireland so they can see some back arse of nowhere tourist place in Ireland should be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So the average guy has to save up for a trip to Spain once a decade and the billionaires get to still fly private jets.

Do you guys understand that there are more ways to reduce usage rather than the price mechanism?

Naw it's all about stopping the poors from travelling.

No one's forcing you to fly. Problem with you Green lads is you don't live in the real world. You can't just get just get rid of the airline industry. You can't just curtail tourism into Ireland.

Do you have some magic money tress perhaps you can plant?

Taxes and levies on the user and the industry

Why the fook should we accept the carbon spewing dirty aviation industry growing and growing AND ruining the climate without even charging them??

I’ve no issue with them once carbon neutral btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Yeh I’m sure the private lads outstrip the millions of economy class tourists..... so come on then, tell us how you’d reduce usage, appeal to people’s better nature? Put a roof over Ireland? I’d love to hear them, oh and of course things that are easy to put in place and ensure uniformity in.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Surely cheap flights work both ways, bringing Spaniards back to Ireland so they can see some back arse of nowhere tourist place in Ireland should be encouraged.

Hopefully post covid, 5 of them can share one pint once again.

blue note wrote: »
    I'd like to see charges based on how many flights you take in a year. So no charge for your first return flight. Maybe €20 each way for your second, €40 each way for your third and so on. That way you're only really discouraging the people taking heaps of flights each year and not the family that go on one holiday.

It's a real problem and we do need to tackle it. And I'd rather see it tackled in some sort of equitable way.

Another way which could be very interesting would be to give people a quota on how many flights you can take per year and to make it transferrable. So if the average person takes 2 return flights per year, give everyone a quota of 2 return flights. If you want to take a third you'll have to buy someone else's allowance. This would actually be a nice way to redistribute the wealth directly a little as opposed to going through the governments hands. So if someone can't afford to go on holidays every year, they can actually get compensated a little for that by the person who wants to go on 4 trips a year.

Obviously business travel would be complicated. But I'm just shooting out ideas.

I have been a very keen traveller, but I would certainly accept your idea of increasing tax the more flights I take. Might make me think of taking the ferry/train for a change or an extra home holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's also something that is only enjoyed by the privileged of the world. Apparently less than 20% of the world have or will ever take flights and it's a heavy polluter. It already is something only enjoyed by the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

Delighted to see this

This is a good start

There should be a carbon levy on all tickets - “unnecessary” travel should be prohibitively expensive

And also green taxes on all the carriers and the airports themselves.

Dublin airport should be committed to reducing traffic for the next 50 years.

Why do I say this ? Google the hockey stick graph...
    Will ya go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Greens need to go ASAP!

Electricity, fuel going up! They're ruining peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's utterly insane that you fly return to Britain (in normal times) for a score yet a return train journey from Dublin to Cork could set you back 60euro.

If people think that's fine, there's something wrong with them. And I say that as someone has gladly taken advantage of cheap flights, but let the polluter pay.

For once a politician is showing leadership instead of seeing what way the wind is blowing, and all he gets is abuse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's also something that is only enjoyed by the privileged of the world. Apparently less than 20% of the world have or will ever take flights and it's a heavy polluter. It already is something only enjoyed by the rich.

Glad to know I'm in the rich list for having taking a €50 return flight a few times.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Glad to know I'm in the rich list for having taking a €50 return flight a few times.

You are, exceptionally so, compared to most of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

With flights more or less down 95% on what they would of been, the Greens can F off with the carbon emission BS for a few year's.

Thing is, are you never going to fly abroad again? What about using a phone made with rare earth elements from China? Or eating steak?

It's easy to pontificate and lecture but do you walk the walk?

No I fly at least once a year. We are all sinners, doesn't mean things don't need to change.
    We all use single use plastics too, society needs to change.

• Advertisement

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    With flights more or less down 95% on what they would of been, the Greens can F off with the carbon emission BS for a few year's.

It was FG who introduced carbon taxes and signed up to the Paris Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wasn't it Eamon Ryan that used to get a taxi or limo to the top of Kildare Street and then cycle down to the Dáil and any photographers that were around

Think that was Gormley, Ryan runs around in a 2.5 litre VW van

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

way less flights and way less miles in cars the last year and you don't hear a thing about it yet if they were to come up with the idea of reducing car mileage by 60% at the cost of the economy for a year they'd make it seem like it would have saved everything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Wasn't it Eamon Ryan that used to get a taxi or limo to the top of Kildare Street and then cycle down to the Dáil and any photographers that were around

Urban legend I suspect unless you have proof or a link.

Saw a report during the week how they are closing the peat briquette factory but don't worry they're importing the replacements from Eastern Europe, couldn't fxxking make it up

way less flights and way less miles in cars the last year and you don't hear a thing about it yet if they were to come up with the idea of reducing car mileage by 60% at the cost of the economy for a year they'd make it seem like it would have saved everything

Emissions reduced by 6% in Ireland, nowhere near enough given the targets FG signed up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Back to flytipping so. The money saved on bin charges can go on flights.

Emissions reduced by 6% in Ireland, nowhere near enough given the targets FG signed up to.

How exactly are they actually calculated?

Back to flytipping so. The money saved on bin charges can go on flights.

You're going to start fly tipping?

• Advertisement

Advertisement