Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Beechwoodpark is a green fundaMENTALIST. He has been banned from diverting topics in the Aviation forum to suggestions for introduction of additional taxes of any and every description on travel. He has an especial bee in his bonnet about Ryanair whose emissions per passenger per km is about the lowest there is.

I’m not a mentalist I’m a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Unfettered tourism growth is ruining parts of Europe. Look what Airbnb does to housing supply in Dublin and elsewhere. Money isn't everything.

Coming from someone who has never been broke I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

tom1ie wrote: »
    Those people being made unemployed are being retrained to protect the carbon sink that is the bogs.
    At least give the full picture.

Ha ha. 2/3rds of the midlands is completely dead since the bogs and power stations were shut. Everyone traipsing up the motorway to the big shmoke for work now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Coming from someone who has never been broke I suspect

Would you rather have excess money or a habitable planet?

eggy81 wrote: »
    Ha ha. 2/3rds of the midlands is completely dead since the bogs and power stations were shut. Everyone traipsing up the motorway to the big shmoke for work now

So 2/3rds of the midlands worked in the utility industry? Have you a link to prove that?

• Advertisement

Probably a higher percentage of vegetarians in India than Ireland, but I’m just guessing and couldn’t be arsed proving that point.
    Are you saying forests aren’t being cleared to feed and resource the developed world?

The eat lamb by the truck load over there. Bowel cancer is their biggest killer from the amount of curries they eat.

So 2/3rds of the midlands worked in the utility industry? Have you a link to prove that?

No. 2/3rds of the midlands is dead. Did you not read the sentence.

The eat lamb by the truck load over there. Bowel cancer is their biggest killer from the amount of curries they eat.

Also vegetable curry. You can have vegetable curry.

No. 2/3rds of the midlands is dead. Did you not read the sentence.

From what? Pollution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

So using your logic (not saying I disagree) it’ll be inevitable we run out of resources.

Inequality is the concept your thought leads us to. Some will run out of resources much faster than others. And wars have been started over much less than that.

• Advertisement

From what? Pollution?

Lack of economic activity

That *might* be true if all those Chinese, Indians and Africans were all content to farm and live from hand to mouth like peasants and not become a middle class and buy all the stuff and cars and fridges etc like they have in the West.

You think an African really wants a lousy goat from Bothar? I'm sure he'd rather a Merc!

Bothar in bother at the moment, money going missing

Lack of economic activity

Are you saying that’s because power stations were closed down?

It's government spin bs. They devastated the Midlands while the Chinese burn a billion tonnes of coal.

So we should all do nothing because the Chinese? Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So we should all do nothing because the Chinese? Is that it?

That's the extent of most arguments on boards.ie and on thejournal.ie article comments. It's very depressing.

Some reading I’d recommend

The uninhabitable earth - David Wallace wells

Revenge of Gaia - James lovelock

The future we choose - Matt haig

There is no planet B - Mike Berners lee

Earth environment is constantly evolving , for millennia man has evolved with it but now the Green party Canutes are sitting on the beach shouting at the incoming tide to turn

Living closer together is easier to share resources and less taxing on the environment. Plus sophisticated urbanites are more likely to vote Green.
    Studies show that is not correct(read it but not going to dig up the research). Because it is there on their doorstep Urbanites consume more of whatever it is. Rural dwellers potter about in their Gardens.

I see no reason for Irish people to suffer while the Chinese do nothing.

But Irish people will suffer, everyone will suffer with climate change, how do you not see this?

Studies show that is not correct(read it but not going to dig up the research). Because it is there on their doorstep Urbanites consume more of whatever it is. Rural dwellers potter about in their Gardens.

so the country would be better off if we all moved to one off houses and were totally car dependent?

Earth environment is constantly evolving , for millennia man has evolved with it but now the Green party Canutes are sitting on the beach shouting at the incoming tide to turn

So you don’t believe climate change (this time) is man made?
    I certainly agree in natural cycles but this isn’t a natural change as is backed up by science.
    Are you saying the science is wrong?

• Advertisement

So you don’t believe climate change (this time) is man made?
    I certainly agree in natural cycles but this isn’t a natural change as is backed up by science.
    Are you saying the science is wrong?

The Journal, most of boards, seem to not believe in man made climate change, and that's fine.
    Whether climate change is happening or not, we're still destroying the oceans, water supplies, and all aspects of biodiversity in such a manner that life on Earth may become rather threatened in the near future.

I’m not a mentalist I’m a realist.
    As I've told you before, you are an ignorant doom-monger.
    I'll continue supporting the most environmentally friendly airlines servicing the destinations where I need (or wish) to go and for me that means I'll continue flying Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

Suffer how?

Flooding, more frequent and more extreme storms, drought, food production being affected due to the above, costs of food rising etc. Here’s a link:
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/enfo/irelands-environment/Change/impacts-of-climate-change/

can the producer of the meat not pay and then pass the cost on ? why are farmers not made limit their dairy and beef production? say they have to do 50/50 tillage/beef or 50/50 dairy/tillage as in they MUST produce veg AND meat.

im not a farmer, but having observed from a distance it seems unhealthy to me to have cows locked in sheds during the winter months.

No grass during the winter, you'd still have to feed and water them in muddy fields, sheds provide shelter and their closeness keeps them warm, land suitable for grazing may not be suitable for tillage,

Are you saying that’s because power stations were closed down?
    In a large part due to the massive downgrading of Bord na mona activity at first. The main bord na mona engineering works in boora in Offaly is well worth a visit. It and the Esb were the largest employers in Offaly right through the 50s 60s 70s and 80s training everything from engineers to fitters to general operatives and electricians. The power stations were huge employers too. The used to run their own apprenticeship program called anco at the time and were widely regarded as the best training you could get in Ireland. I was only a child when it shut but it over time proved to be a massive blow to Offaly. Booming little towns like ferbane cloghan Banagher all suffered badly. Of course other factors were involved, changingg attitudes and laws to drink driving being one that wax hugely necessary but hit rural pubs in particular hard. but over time people moved either location or career and these places are dead now. Like a lot of rural Ireland. I’ve a friend who’s an engineer in bird ma mona now who reckons loads of their land will eventually be data centres.

The two main power stations in ferbane and Shannon bridge are being converted into storage banks now by a Chinese company who buy electricity off the grid at a given price and sell it back at another price to make profit. No idea how that makes sense.

so the country would be better off if we all moved to one off houses and were totally car dependent?
    I drive an electric car. What's your question?

I drive an electric car. What's your question?

We are very rich if you measure by Gdp and international standards.
    “The statistical distortions created by the impact on the Irish National Accounts of the global assets and activities of a handful of large multinational corporations have now become so large as to make a mockery of conventional uses of Irish GDP.”

Patrick Honohan, ex-Governor of the Central Bank of Ireland July 2016
    http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2016/07/13/the-irish-national-accounts-towards-some-dos-and-donts/

“The statistical distortions created by the impact on the Irish National Accounts of the global assets and activities of a handful of large multinational corporations have now become so large as to make a mockery of conventional uses of Irish GDP.”

Patrick Honohan, ex-Governor of the Central Bank of Ireland July 2016
    http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2016/07/13/the-irish-national-accounts-towards-some-dos-and-donts/

Regardless of the leprechaun economics thing, Ireland is one of the richest countries in the world right now. There's no denying that. We use something called GNP which takes out the leprechaun bit, better to measure our welfare based on that, which ranks pretty high.

• Advertisement

The Country would be better off if eco-fascists didn't try to dictate how every element of other peoples' lives should be lived. Rural living isn't for everyone, Urban living isn't for everyone.

Advertisement