Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As I've told you before, you are an ignorant doom-monger.
    I'll continue supporting the most environmentally friendly airlines servicing the destinations where I need (or wish) to go and for me that means I'll continue flying Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

I don’t remember you ever saying that to me

But no I am FAR from ignorant and FAR from a doom monger

You should read some of the books I’ve listed and then just MAYBE you will realise the peril the planet is facing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

tom1ie wrote: »
    Interconnectors and gas turbine back up.

So fossil fuel here, or dirty fossil fuel from over there and nuclear from over there too.

But also a huge investment in intermittent plant and grid upgrades for the intermittent plant, giving us extra expensive electricity in the process.

The money would be better spent on conversation to coal gasification for money point and geothermal. Both base load and on demand supplies and much better environmentally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Fair play Minister Ryan.

Most of the Green Party TD's are based in County Dublin so the good voting people of Dublin need to rethink who they vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

satguy wrote: »
    The last GE showed us two things.

No.1 Just how spineless FF really are.
    No.2 Just how bad the Green Party really is.

Thanks ..

SF next time for sure.

What !!! SF agree with everything the government are doing except they want the government to go further. They said the climate bill didn’t go far enough. There are no alternatives in Ireland. We are a one politics nation. Everyone in the Daíl agrees with each other on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

vladmydad wrote: »
    What !!! SF agree with everything the government are doing except they want the government to go further. They said the climate bill didn’t go far enough. There are no alternatives in Ireland. We are a one politics nation. Everyone in the Daíl agrees with each other on everything.

lol, I would love it so much if SF got in power and started pushing for harder carbon taxes etc.

• Advertisement

Regardless of the leprechaun economics thing, Ireland is one of the richest countries in the world right now. There's no denying that. We use something called GNP which takes out the leprechaun bit, better to measure our welfare based on that, which ranks pretty high.
    NO. That is wrong. GNP is distorted too. I'm not going searching for the articles where that was proved either. It was true-economics blogspot from Constantin Gurdgiev I think but I'm not going looking.
    Ireland is one of the most indebted nations in the world and the GDP and GNP figures are inflated hugely but most especially GDP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

satguy wrote: »
    No,

But it is an attack on the average working family.

That's the thing about the Greens; it is like they are a special members-only club. Ireland has been through the strictest restrictions in Europe and possibly the world for over a year, and yet if there is any glimmer of hope for us to take a break from the dreary Irish weather later this year, the Greens want to stop that from happening by stopping affordable flights. Who does it affect? The average person/family.

Right through this pandemic, the Greens have been punching us in the stomach while we were down. A few months ago, the Green Party announced that any human on the planet who can get to Ireland and utter the magic word "asylum", then they are guaranteed their own home within 4 months. And to compound the fact that Irish people will be made homeless due to this policy (according to the Dept. of Housing), the Greens decided to put no cap on the numbers who can come here and get their free home. Who does it affect? The average person/family in Ireland struggling to house themselves.

The Greens really dislike those of us not in their special club for some strange reason. If you are like me and would like to live in a sustainable and clean environment, then the Green Party in Ireland is the wrong party to vote for because they are all about punitive measures. Notwithstanding the polices above, the increased carbon taxation pushed by the Greens will cripple the average person/family even further. The Green Party is an utterly horrendous political party currently and it will be remembered in upcoming elections.

Those people being made unemployed are being retrained to protect the carbon sink that is the bogs.
    At least give the full picture.

Me bollockš it'll never happen the same rubbish was spouted in the uk about coal miners. They just let them all get fųcked in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

99nsr125 wrote: »
    So fossil fuel here, or dirty fossil fuel from over there and nuclear from over there too.

But also a huge investment in intermittent plant and grid upgrades for the intermittent plant, giving us extra expensive electricity in the process.

The money would be better spent on conversation to coal gasification for money point and geothermal. Both base load and on demand supplies and much better environmentally too.

Much better than wind? Or even a mixture of wind and nuclear from France?
    Ffs how can you argue any type of coal power electricity generation is better than wind.
    That makes no sense.

I don’t remember you ever saying that to me

But no I am FAR from ignorant and FAR from a doom monger

You should read some of the books I’ve listed and then just MAYBE you will realise the peril the planet is facing
    Whiisst. You're like my Father telling me that if I read the books he recommends then I'll have to agree that evolution isn't evolution but God's divine will.

• Advertisement

Whiisst. You're like my Father telling me that if I read the books he recommends then I'll have to agree that evolution isn't evolution but God's divine will.

Your a man of science who doesn’t believe this cycle of climate change is man made?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

blue note wrote: »
    I'd like to see charges based on how many flights you take in a year. So no charge for your first return flight. Maybe €20 each way for your second, €40 each way for your third and so on. That way you're only really discouraging the people taking heaps of flights each year and not the family that go on one holiday.

An elegant and progressive suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Maybe stop bitcoin mining first. What an utter waste of resources it is.

Your a man of science who doesn’t believe this cycle of climate change is man made?
    You are next going to ask me when I stopped beating my wife.
    I never said anything about climate change being man made or not.
    I believe in consuming as little as possible of everything as everything has an impact on everything else but I will not allow myself to be exploited by eco-fundamentalist dogma peddlers where the dogma is not based in fact or science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

So you don’t believe climate change (this time) is man made?
    I certainly agree in natural cycles but this isn’t a natural change as is backed up by science.
    Are you saying the science is wrong?

Science is dependant on funding, he who pays the piper..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Coming from someone who has never been broke I suspect

Your right , money isn’t everything. It’s the only thing
    I’ve had a few life saving procedures recently from consultants who wouldn’t look at a plebs waiting list. I believe in green until it hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

You're going to start fly tipping?

And I'll do it in neighbourhoods where Green Party politicians live.

You are next going to ask me when I stopped beating my wife.
    I never said anything about climate change being man made or not.
    I believe in consuming as little as possible of everything as everything has an impact on everything else but I will not allow myself to be exploited by eco-fundamentalist dogma peddlers where the dogma is not based in fact or science.

Read some of the science based books I have listed. You might learn something

Science is dependant on funding, he who pays the piper..

Goodnight all.

Flooding, more frequent and more extreme storms, drought, food production being affected due to the above, costs of food rising etc. Here’s a link:
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/enfo/irelands-environment/Change/impacts-of-climate-change/

Worst flooding since... weather is cyclical , Greens still denying medieval warm period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

How anyone even considers his opinion as valid is beyond me. Anybody remember the GP in 2008 & their radical vision of diesel!

Read some of the science based books I have listed. You might learn something
    Sorry, I've brought more facts to this discussion than you have. All you have brought is knee-jerk reactions, punitive measures, infringement of civil liberties, a few book titles and a Hockey stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Whether climate change is happening or not, we're still destroying the oceans, water supplies, and all aspects of biodiversity in such a manner that life on Earth may become rather threatened in the near future.

Correct but most people who would have been interested in protecting the environment in the past are now just obsessed with carbon. The obsession with reducing carbon will achieve next to nothing with regard to protecting the planet but unfortunately that is more trendy now..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

EdEr9UxXYAEg62V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

jackboy wrote: »
    Correct but most people who would have been interested in protecting the environment in the past are now just obsessed with carbon. The obsession with reducing carbon will achieve next to nothing with regard to protecting the planet but unfortunately that is more trendy now..

You flushed yourself out with your own dogs and grenades.

Would you rather have excess money or a habitable planet?

Planet will be habitable, I'm 51 ,I remember harsher winters, storms and flooding from the 70s and 80s, I remember the long hot summers of 1976 and 1995, I know what being broke means from September 2009 when gormless Gormley fxxked us all over, I remember when every field was either under a crop or filled with livestock, when every second house was surrounded by scrap cars and nobody had anything, Greens talk a lot of complete bollocks

Sorry, I've brought more facts to this discussion than you have. All you have brought is knee-jerk reactions, punitive measures, infringement of civil liberties, a few book titles and a Hockey stick.

What the hell are you on about

The hockey stick graph is a simple graphic that shows the deeply perilous situation the planet is in

What infringements did I mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

trixiebust wrote: »
    How anyone even considers his opinion as valid is beyond me. Anybody remember the GP in 2008 & their radical vision of diesel!

It’s not the green parties fault every car manufacturer lied to the world about there technology.

Much better than wind? Or even a mixture of wind and nuclear from France?
    Ffs how can you argue any type of coal power electricity generation is better than wind.
    That makes no sense.

You're the one who suggested gas

I suggested a way to make money point work with your suggestion.

I would be nuclear and geothermal all the way.

Let intermittent wind and solar power steam reforming plants to make hydrocarbon feedstock.

Carbon neutral power
    Carbon neutral towards carbon negative hydrocarbons
    Job done

• Advertisement

What infringements did I mention?
    Residents of an island community on the edge of a continent being taxed until their pips squeaked and international travel became the preserve of only the Wealthy.

Advertisement