Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan hoping to stop cheap flights to sunny destinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why should it only be the well off who travel?
    The mockery the wealthy make of everyone when be they preach no flying etc while yelling us that from their expensive enclave in some exotic resort/private jet.

The hypocrisy is stomach churning.

Most workers only get one shot at a holiday abroad once a year if lucky. Why should they be denied the opportunity to relax on a beach, or broaden their minds on a city visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

trixiebust wrote: »
    How anyone even considers his opinion as valid is beyond me. Anybody remember the GP in 2008 & their radical vision of diesel!

That was madcap too.
    I take it we’ll be selling the Government jet. Gas guzzler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Planet will be habitable, I'm 51 ,I remember harsher winters, storms and flooding from the 70s and 80s, I remember the long hot summers of 1976 and 1995, I know what being broke means from September 2009 when gormless Gormley fxxked us all over, I remember when every field was either under a crop or filled with livestock, when every second house was surrounded by scrap cars and nobody had anything, Greens talk a lot of complete bollocks

I’d get that knee checked out if were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

screamer wrote: »
    Good, and dead right, cheap flights to costa del dump are morally bankrupt. Make people pay proper prices by applying polluter pays rules and then let them go. I’m sure a grand for a flight to southern Spain would make a lot of people think twice about booking.

How does a person wanting or needing to fly to X location cheaply become morally bankrupt ?

Morally bankrupt is charging multiples of the actual value of a product or service, fleecing somebody and society to try and dissuade them from being of the financial ability to go somewhere...

Travel is basically a human right. Freedom of movement, mobility rights, or the right to travel is a human rights concept encompassing the right of individuals to travel from place to place within the territory of a country, and to leave the country and return to it.... by putting charges designed in their ENTIRETY to curb people’s ability to travel would be illegal, article 13 of the universal declaration of human rights clearly confirms the above...

if a tax was imposed on flying in order to curb flights and the ability of a person to travel, the courts would overturn it and whomever implemented it might wish they chose a different career.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Why should it only be the well off who travel?
    The mockery the wealthy make of everyone when be they preach no flying etc while yelling us that from their expensive enclave in some exotic resort/private jet.

The hypocrisy is stomach churning.

Most workers only get one shot at a holiday abroad once a year if lucky. Why should they be denied the opportunity to relax on a beach, or broaden their minds on a city visit?

Making air travel expensive for people in western countries in a bid to tackle climate change whilst saying nothing about the greatest source of carbon production in the shape of countries like China and India is such a mesmerising display of double think that it would leave anyone with any common sense wondering what exactly the point of groups like the green party in this and other similar countries actually is.

Let's make sure to get a sticking plaster on that grazed knee instead of tackling the issue of the ruptured carotid artery.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

eggy81 wrote: »
    In a large part due to the massive downgrading of Bord na mona activity at first. The main bord na mona engineering works in boora in Offaly is well worth a visit. It and the Esb were the largest employers in Offaly right through the 50s 60s 70s and 80s training everything from engineers to fitters to general operatives and electricians. The power stations were huge employers too. The used to run their own apprenticeship program called anco at the time and were widely regarded as the best training you could get in Ireland. I was only a child when it shut but it over time proved to be a massive blow to Offaly. Booming little towns like ferbane cloghan Banagher all suffered badly. Of course other factors were involved, changingg attitudes and laws to drink driving being one that wax hugely necessary but hit rural pubs in particular hard. but over time people moved either location or career and these places are dead now. Like a lot of rural Ireland. I’ve a friend who’s an engineer in bird ma mona now who reckons loads of their land will eventually be data centres.

The two main power stations in ferbane and Shannon bridge are being converted into storage banks now by a Chinese company who buy electricity off the grid at a given price and sell it back at another price to make profit. No idea how that makes sense.

Middleman makes the money, capitalism 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

nullzero wrote: »
    Making air travel expensive for people in western countries in a bid to tackle climate change whilst saying nothing about the greatest source of carbon production in the shape of countries like China and India is such a mesmerising display of double think that it would leave anyone with any common sense wondering what exactly the point of groups like the green party in this and other similar countries actually is.

Let's make sure to get a sticking plaster on that grazed knee instead of tackling the issue of the ruptured carotid artery.

The point of them is to pick an agenda that enables them to somehow get elected and then ride the gravy train until it’s bled dry, just like all the rest of them.

A lot of China carbon dioxide emissions come from factories which build stuff that is sold in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Residents of an island community on the edge of a continent being taxed until their pips squeaked and international travel became the preserve of only the Wealthy.

I’ve no problem with Carbon neutral travel

I don’t give a damn about the “social class” of ppl travelling

A graduated tax and levy system is the way to go

°°°°°

A lot of China carbon dioxide emissions come from factories which build stuff that is sold in the west.

Without trying to be funny, that's not exactly a revelation and it doesn't account for China's absolute disregard for their carbon emissions and that's before you even get started on their distopian societal structure.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If you look at Ireland as part of the EU, it's a massive chunk of the world population that pollutes an awful lot - and drives production of crap in the likes of China. All that useless tat they sell in Lidl and Aldi isn't produced in the EU.
    We could stop outsourcing production and bring it back to Europe, and it'll cost a fortune to buy certain things then. That would probably be best for all as we'd be likely to buy less things.

I’ve no problem with Carbon neutral travel

I don’t give a damn about the “social class” of ppl travelling

A graduated tax and levy system is the way to go
    Its there but you don't want to acknowledge its existence. There is a ETS program already in place. The E.U. has done much more than any other international body to ensure that Airlines emit less carbon.
    You want to ground the Low Cost Carriers while the Legacy Carriers don't participate in the ETS program for the majority of their flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

We export most of our agri produce too don’t we. Most of the eu’s pork goes to China.

°°°°°

If you look at Ireland as part of the EU, it's a massive chunk of the world population that pollutes an awful lot - and drives production of crap in the likes of China. All that useless tat they sell in Lidl and Aldi isn't produced in the EU.
    We could stop outsourcing production and bring it back to Europe, and it'll cost a fortune to buy certain things then. That would probably be best for all as we'd be likely to buy less things.

The entire population of the EU is 446 million people. China has a population of 1.38 billion. India has a population of 1.36 billion.

I agree manufacturing should return to Western countries and its long overdue, however you have your head in the sand of you think the demands of the EU are driving carbon emissions in China and India who have a combined population around 6 times as large as the entire population of the EU. Their problems stem from their own internal issues, manufacturing for exports is part of it but it doesn't account for as much as you believe it does.

Glazers Out!

Without trying to be funny, that's not exactly a revelation and it doesn't account for China's absolute disregard for their carbon emissions and that's before you even get started on their distopian societal structure.

Ireland has a disregard for its carbon emissions. I remember Enda coming home from the Paris climate talks, he essentially said ya I signed the thing but were not going to do any of it.

°°°°°

Ireland has a disregard for its carbon emissions. I remember Enda coming home from the Paris climate talks, he essentially said ya I signed the thing but were not going to do any of it.

Irelands disregard for carbon emissions pales in comparison to China. We could be carbon neutral tomorrow and our contribution would be so insignificant as to make no difference whatsoever when compared to the emissions spewed out by China and India.

Glazers Out!

Irelands disregard for carbon emissions pales in comparison to China. We could be carbon neutral tomorrow and our contribution would be so insignificant as to make no difference whatsoever when compared to the emissions spewed out by China and India.

This is why there are international agreements like what we signed up for in Paris, the rest of Europe are trying to reduce emissions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The Paris climate talks were a failure. The agreement that came out of it was nothing but a meaningless PR stunt. Kenny was reflecting the reality that the agreement was just a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jackboy wrote: »
    The Paris climate talks were a failure. The agreement that came out of it was nothing but a meaningless PR stunt. Kenny was reflecting the reality that the agreement was just a load of nonsense.

So what should be used for guidance in lieu of this failed document which scientists from over 100 countries contributed to?

What, in your view, should policy makers so as to be aware of and prepare potential climatic and environmental changes which may come in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Its there but you don't want to acknowledge its existence. There is a ETS program already in place. The E.U. has done much more than any other international body to ensure that Airlines emit less carbon.
    You want to ground the Low Cost Carriers while the Legacy Carriers don't participate in the ETS program for the majority of their flights.

I genuinely don’t care about low cost or legacy yadda yadda the only thing I’m concerned about is the carbon emissions

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

This is why there are international agreements like what we signed up for in Paris, the rest of Europe are trying to reduce emissions too.

And that's wonderful. But the problem is that the EU can work towards being carbon neutral by say 2030 or 3040, but the fact remains that the two biggest polluters have no intention of doing anything whatsoever to even begin reducing emissions.

China is a country that disregards the environment every bit as much as it disregards its own people. I shudder at the thought of a world where China could conceivably be the largest superpower. Their society is an Orwellian nightmare and they will never respect any notions of reducing their emissions never mind actively participate in them.

The Western world is working towards a better future, making the effort whilst China and India think only about themselves. Until they are brought in line nothing will change and all the over priced package holidays in the world won't make a blind bit of difference to that.

Glazers Out!

And that's wonderful. But the problem is that the EU can work towards being carbon neutral by say 2030 or 3040, but the fact remains that the two biggest polluters have no intention of doing anything whatsoever to even begin reducing emissions.

China is a country that disregards the environment every bit as much as it disregards its own people. I shudder at the thought of a world where China could conceivably be the largest superpower. Their society is an Orwellian nightmare and they will never respect any notions of reducing their emissions never mind actively participate in them.

The Western world is working towards a better future, making the effort whilst China and India think I ly about themselves. Until they are brought in line nothing will change and all the over priced package holidays in the world won't make a blind bit of difference to that.

Pretty sure China are making changes, but if they are not, you don't think we should make any effort at all?

I genuinely don’t care about low cost or legacy yadda yadda the only thing I’m concerned about is the carbon emissions
    Your posting history suggests otherwise. Any opportunity to put the boot in to Ryanair is never missed despite your hatred for them being misplaced.

°°°°°

Pretty sure China are making changes, but if they are not, you don't think we should make any effort at all?

The point is that until China and India resolve to change their ways the actions of tiny nations like ours will have essentially to impact to the whole.
    China talk about being carbon neutral by 2060, I'll believe it when I see it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

So what should be used for guidance in lieu of this failed document which scientists from over 100 countries contributed to?

What, in your view, should policy makers so as to be aware of and prepare potential climatic and environmental changes which may come in future?

That is skewing what the agreement is. It is not a document put together by 100’s of scientists. The talks broke down so to prevent the politicians looking bad the agreement was put together for PR reasons.

We don’t need guidance in Ireland to protect the environment. We know what to do if we were prepared to do it.

The point is that until China and India resolve to change their ways the actions of tiny nations like ours will have essentially to impact to the whole.
    China talk about being carbon neutral by 2060, I'll believe it when I see it.

but we're part of a group of countries trying to do things differently, and the EU are making changes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If what we are doing is not good enough, how is the solution to not do anything at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There's going to be a war in Europe in the next 30 years, all this 2050-60 stuff is pure trippin' by the Greens

°°°°°

If what we are doing is not good enough, how is the solution to not do anything at all?

It isn't.

The elephant in the room is the lack of action from the countries causing the most problems.

This is a global issue. Everyone needs to be singing off of the same hymn sheet for any action taken to be productive.

Jumping from stating that China and India aren't doing anything to being equal to saying therefore we shouldn't bother isn't a realistic reflection of what's being said.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

but we're part of a group of countries trying to do things differently, and the EU are making changes

Yes and until the biggest polluters join in the effects of the efforts of everyone else will be futile.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement