Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built In Wardrobes External Wall

Options
  • 09-04-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is it a complete no-no to put built in wardrobes on an external facing wall? I heard this could cause mould on the wall/wardrobe but it’s the most practical place for the wardrobe in the bedroom. Appreciate any advice / feedback . Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Surely it can only cause mould if there is a pre-existing damp issue?

We have built in wardrobes on an external wall with no issues. My parents have similar for 40 years with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Does it have to be built in?

I’ve removed a number of built in wardrobes lately on external walls. All had some degree of mould raging from bad to spotting at ceiling level only. People seem to build wardrobe over ext vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Built-in in mine is there 17 years or so on an east-facing wall, always felt chilly inside in Winter. A few months back, I was sick of it so took the whole lot apart and pulled it out. Was expecting icicles and mould, but nothing. Bone dry. Just a cold wall in parts.

So I just stuck up some insulation over the walls, and put back the wardrobe, but left 10mm between back of units and the wall. Big improvement. Also stuck in a vent in the kickboard, to let the warmer air in.

Advertisement