Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d Printed Stuff Gallery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rant123

bryan06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can post images of things they've printed to inspire others and share ideas.

Those are brilliant well done.
    How did you finish off the prints? Did you paint them? If you did what type of paint did you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bryan06

rant123 wrote: »
    Those are brilliant well done.
    How did you finish off the prints? Did you paint them? If you did what type of paint did you use.

Thanks. I usually spray them with filler primer (sometimes sand) and then painted with Vallejo acrylic paints and cheap brushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Yep good idea was thinking of posting a thread like this too, but too busy learning how to edit STL files.

Here's my first remix of a toothpick holder I did today. Not yet uploaded as a remix though, you're getting an exclusive. I shortened the platform and placed the spartan at an angle and also removed lettering. I think the original platform is a few mm off also so will probably edit and print a separate platform for him before uploading as a remix, had to scale the quiver holder a couple of times.

549803.jpg

He's almost out of ammo, need more toothpicks!
    kindly agreed to have an end broken of his last arrow for the photo shoot.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Here's one I was quite pleased with:

549805.jpg

It was a bit fiddly to get right, but I printed the red parts, then the white parts, then the black. The white and red are only two layers thick so it wasn't hard to set up the slicer with enough z-hop to print them all in place.

I used a similar technique for this Raspberry Pi case (I didn't design this one):

549806.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Does this count?
    Just needs to be wired up and the firmware compiled.

• Advertisement

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Does this count?
    Just needs to be wired up and the firmware compiled.

Give an old leftyflip on the photo there! What part though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Give an old leftyflip on the photo there! What part though?

Haha, I shall!
    Every part is printer, bar the obvious like extrusions and that

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bryan06

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Here's one I was quite pleased with:

549805.jpg

It was a bit fiddly to get right, but I printed the red parts, then the white parts, then the black. The white and red are only two layers thick so it wasn't hard to set up the slicer with enough z-hop to print them all in place.

I used a similar technique for this Raspberry Pi case (I didn't design this one):

549806.jpg

That's very cool, I haven't experimented with multi colour prints yet. They came out very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

I bought this the other day and finally got my Ender Pro 3 printing without defects. Upgraded the springs and figured out layer shifting was caused by the belt on the X axis being loose.

It turned out quite smooth.
    Took 8h36 and weights 27g.

I have been reading a bit on the colouring process.
    I need to give it a slight sanding first.
    Then spray it with a primer a few times... would anyone care to share what they use and where to get it? I am based in Cork if that helps.
    Next on to the black for this piece, I guess spray it again?
    Anyone any thoughts on who would supply the best range?

The next piece is printing now, it'll take 1d4h :D

I have my eye on a multi tool on amazon with loads of attachments for weathering/sanding/grinding/etc, but if anyone has any tips on the processes above, I would appreciate it!

SC3x3Xvl.jpg

550309.jpg

This was two firsts for me
    1: Printing with Wood PLA
    2: Recovering a failed print

Wood filament is not easy for a first timer. Found out, 7 hours in, how brittle it is after the hobbed gear snapped it (wound a bit too tight for a different filament). And I didn't see it for an while.
    You can see about 2/3 the way down where I had to resight the height of the print and edit the gcode to match.

Had it almost perfect except that I rotated the z babystep the wrong way, at the last, and squished 2 layers.

• Advertisement

bryan06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can post images of things they've printed to inspire others and share ideas.

I'll start with a few of mine:

All printed in PLA on an Ender 3 pro

Looking forward to seeing other peoples prints!

I'd watch the sh1t out of a YouTube video where you show your bronzing technique

Here is the second part of my print.
    It is 90g and took 1d 2h28
    Really pleased with the quality of both pieces.
    I have a spray primer for plastic and spray paints ordered for next week hopefully.
    I ordered the Montana brand from the Art and Hobby shop.
    I also got some spirit gum to see how that works as an adhesive to my face.

I then ordered some acrylic paints, brushes, paint palette and rotary multi tool from amazon.
    I will try use magnets to connect both pieces together so they can be separated easily - for example out in the pub for halloween, I need to be able to get at my pint!

Qkr1gJrl.jpg

And here are the two pieces sitting one on top of the other

Rta8Uvpm.jpg

What filament, temp, settings, and such did you use?

What filament, temp, settings, and such did you use?

I used the Eono Gray filament from Amazon
    Temp was the standard 200/60

Over on Bargain Alerts I asked for help with settings
    I downloaded and imported Chep's Cura Slicer settings.
    I changed it to use a brim for bed adhesion as I couln'd get a flat enough edge while orientating the print.
    I may or may not have changed the print(50mm/s) and travel speed(75mm/s)...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's stuff from today:

Entitled Goose from Untitled Goose Game:

550521.jpg

550522.jpg

Hand painted in Acrylic - my painting skills aren't the best though.
    I used white PLA and sanded the raised text lightly to reveal the white lettering.
    There's a magnet glued under and into his beak so he can hold objects like key rings etc...

And finally this is Satsana Ender 3 fanduct:

550525.jpg

The goal was not to achieve better airflow but to stop a magnet from jumping up from a print into the stock metallic cover.

For those prints I insert a pause into the g code at a certain layer height and then drop the magnet in.

I was finding the magnet kept jumping up out of the print so this was the only solution to prevent it from happening.

Tomorrow I'll post up an example print that uses a magnet inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

will post more later, but to start

goodl odl Darth, looks small here, but is about 45cm tall. printed in 6 parts i think

3XXYCT8l.jpg

and the mount/cooling duct for my hemera . mount is pla(orange), the duct(red) is PETG for better heat performance

b18vzx0l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'll post up an example print that uses a magnet inside.

So here's the print with the magnets in it,
    Toothless "herb" Grinder

550848.jpg

Its for a friend I promise.

Happy 420!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

3d ireland, qgis data to greyscale height map and sliced in Cura
    attachment.php?attachmentid=550850&d=1618955040[\img]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some great stuff there ...

Printed this at a low res, just to see how it would turn out with first time PETG print
    Particularly the colour change, on the sign (never did one before)

550889.jpg

• Advertisement

The surface under the sign is meant to be uneven (like hewn rock) but it looks a bit messy,like there was dragging.
    Is there a way around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

More heat, less speed.

My first foray into printing with flexible filament (TPU):

551021.jpg

The part on the right is the original, a sort of gasket for a toilet seat hinge. It was originally quite soft, but got very brittle with age and eventually broke. I printed the replacement once in PLA to test-fit it, adjusted one dimension by half a millimetre, and printed in TPU. I'm really please with the result, it's flexible and slightly squishy, but very robust.

Spent about a week designing this and learning blender while I was at it. It's a magnet enclosure to hold/store the excessive amount of tools accumulated.

551167.PNG

v1.0.3 at the moment. A few things to fix in the STL still. The first design was to spec for these magnets but as it turned out the product description is not the most accurate so had to redo measurements so the magnet would be nice and snug, the pack of 4 slightly differ in size also.

The second design I tried to incorporate tabs for a better fit around the magnet as the design was relying on screws in the wall to help keep the magnet in the enclosure while removing tools. This failed as the tabs were too small to print (may work on a smaller nozzle. 0.4 doesn't print them). revision 3: to give better adhesion I'm using double sided tape (did not want to use glue) and so far so good. Seems to hold the magnet better, when removing tools everything stays put. As I said though the measurements are a bit off from magnet to magnet and the second one is a tighter fit so might not need double sided tape.

551174.png

Just so happens there is enough room for the 4 so will probably expand it at a later time.

Also printed plugs for the screws which are not too good as they snap off when fastening the plugs into plasterboard but still work to grasp the screw.

551177.JPG
    The needle is great for removing raft, skirt etc

Will be printing this tomorrow.

Spent a while thinking on a design to get better use out of the needle then it dawned on me I already printed something that would work great. This thing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:731086 would just need a good grip for it so combining with this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4374118

551191.PNG

The needle is off a sewing* machine and is probably the most used bit of kit, it just gets a start on the lift where I can slide something under or grip the print, also great for skirt and whatever that line is that gets printed on the left of the bed, seriously how does one disable that?

Uploaded both to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/coirt/designs

OK going to try painting for first time

551440.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

simple prints, but some of the most useful i've done, been printing tool holders for my tool chest. glue a magnet into them, and they are rock solid. here are the first two drawers, you get the idea.

gi5Yc58l.jpg

kjbMdxVl.jpg

I need finer brushes, for the eyes
    551634.jpg

551850.jpg

551851.jpg

Edit: bad craftsman blames his tools.

Continuing my trend of mostly printing useful stuff around the house, we had a blackout blind on one of our Fakro rooflights that wouldn't stay closed. I modeled and printed a replacement for the damaged part, and it worked perfectly first time.

552110.jpg

552111.jpg

• Advertisement

Designed and printed an adapter for hoover attachments for a Tower rvl30 22.2v Battery powered hoover, which is basically as good as a sweeping brush, just about good on carpet but needs a full charge to lift light material. It downsizes so attachments off a Nilfisk hoover fit but should resize for others as it steps down (would just need to scale the bottom 2 vertices)

552123.PNG

I originally intended to include the indent, seen on the left model which latches onto the tube, but it messed up the model when I did a difference Boolean and was difficult to fix. I had printed a few layers of both ends to check on the radius and it didn't need the indent to secure it so the one on the right was used which works great.

Advertisement