Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

I thought Rome was boring.

Ah jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Lisbon is a wonderful place
    Lisburn on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I thought Rome was boring. Sights like The Colosseum are actually very underwhelming when you see them up close. Apart from the pizza the food is horrible.

Lisbon is another dull dreary place.

I'm sorry.
    But Rome is one of the most interesting cities on earth.
    It would take weeks to see everything.

If you like history, culture, art and architecture.
    It's all there.
    Too many tourists though, same with Venice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

All this post is wrong.
    I could say the same thing about any post that mentioned Vienna or Brussels. It's all subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysis..........

Unreal. One of the most amazing places I've ever been to. This thread is brutal and I would love to go ANYWHERE right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There was a place once but I can't remember its name or anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I thought Rome was boring. Sights like The Colosseum are actually very underwhelming when you see them up close. Apart from the pizza the food is horrible.

Rome is one of my favourite cities and I find it far from boring but I agree with you about the food. I didn't like any of the pasta I tried. I way prefer our version of Italian food. Authentic bolognese for example is just veal meat and very little sauce but I prefer my own bolognese.
    The wine was delicious though.. maybe if you drank more you'd have found it more interesting :p

Riga is somewhere I wouldn't return to. There was nothing to do of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Unreal. One of the most amazing places I've ever been to. This thread is brutal and I would love to go ANYWHERE right now.

And for 15 seconds Ajo, Arizona, isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

A free walking tour just after you arrive or on a Sunday morning is a good way to get info on things to do. Prevents boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Apologies, if these are your “people” but it’s not like they’re the guys who built the railroads here. They’re illicit distillers, or smugglers, of liquor. Moonshiner fits the “bill” quite well.

Sure, I’ll drink their “hooch” but I’d prefer to procure it from a middleman, if it’s all the same to you.

Actually some of my people are poitin distillers

• Advertisement

Porklife wrote: »
    Rome is one of my favourite cities and I find it far from boring but I agree with you about the food. I didn't like any of the pasta I tried. I way prefer our version of Italian food. Authentic bolognese for example is just veal meat and very little sauce but I prefer my own bolognese.
    The wine was delicious though.. maybe if you drank more you'd have found it more interesting :p

Riga is somewhere I wouldn't return to. There was nothing to do of note.
    Don't get me wrong, I've been to worse cities. I just think its overrated.

I would actually like to visit Riga when the drifting events are on. They seem to really love their motorsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

I would actually like to visit Riga when the drifting events are on. They seem to really love their motorsport.

I liked Riga too. Maybe it was because my visit coincided with a beer festival.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Singapore. Was there for 48 hours. Walking outside the airport was like walking in to a shopping centre in winter. That blast of hot air hitting you in the face but it was surrounding you all the time. About 20 people pointed and stared at me in the street and went ohhh when they did. Not even trying to be discreet. I'm very tall guess it was that lol. Not much to do there. Very boring.

Amsterdam. Found it bland and underwhelming. Ninja cyclists everywhere.

Lastly Australia in general. Very over hyped. A high proportion of Aussies are unbearable. Going over the top about being Australian all the time. Wasn't expecting that.

Had positive experiences overall wherever else I've been.

I was in Singapore in the mid 90s. My younger sister was only about a year old at the time. She had very blonde hair and blue eyes. I remember people coming up the buggy and poking her and people were pointing at her. Very strange.

The most boring place I've ever been was Sofia, Bulgaria. I arrived in the morning and had all the main sites seen by mid afternoon. The place was a bit of a dump as well. Buildings at eye/street level were ok as long as you didn't look up. The footpaths were all falling to pieces and jagged half cut bollards and poles were sticking out of the ground. All the people here who sued councils over tripping on cracked paving would have a field day.

Riga is nice and we unknowingly went into a Michelin star restaurant and ate the best meal I've ever had. We didn't understand the currency so I'm not even sure how much we ended up paying! Aside from drinking beers in the sun though there was nothing to see or do.
    I'm sure a sporting event would be fun though and if you're single, the women were stunning!
    I'm a straight woman but that really struck me about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

I agree with alot of places on here, not a hope I would add Lisbon.
    Nice weather, good food and wine..good transport, football, the hills of Sintra (close by) to run.Great history and attractions. Being to 2 music festivlas there, cheap and trouble free..Cheap especially as a capital city..good transport..
    All the people trying to sell you drugs is damn annoying though...
    I'd live there (and Seville) in the morning.

4Ad wrote: »
    I agree with alot of places on here, not a hope I would add Lisbon.
    Nice weather, good food and wine..good transport, football, the hills of Sintra (close by) to run.Great history and attractions. Being to 2 music festivlas there, cheap and trouble free..Cheap especially as a capital city..good transport..
    All the people trying to sell you drugs is damn annoying though...
    I'd live there (and Seville) in the morning.
    Yes I was very surprised by that. It was a constant annoyance. It's not a place I would return to. I'd much prefer Malaga or Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I was in Singapore in the mid 90s. My younger sister was only about a year old at the time. She had very blonde hair and blue eyes. I remember people coming up the buggy and poking her and people were pointing at her. Very strange.

I’m very surprised to hear that. It’s not like Europeans, North Americans, and Australians are uncommon in Singapore. My sister used to travel there with work pretty often. She’s blonde and never mentioned experiencing anything out of the ordinary.

Even when I was there myself about ten years ago, it seemed like every fifth or sixth person on Orchard road (main shopping district) was Caucasian. I think you just got unlucky and ran into some oddballs.

The only slightly strange thing that I personally experienced was a couple of people taking my photo without asking. Nothing too perturbing.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I’m very surprised to hear that. It’s not like Europeans, North Americans, and Australians are uncommon in Singapore. My sister used to travel there with work pretty often. She’s blonde and never mentioned experiencing anything out of the ordinary.

Even when I was there myself about ten years ago, it seemed like every fifth or sixth person on Orchard road (main shopping district) was Caucasian. I think you just got unlucky and ran into some oddballs.

The only slightly strange thing that I personally experienced was a couple of people taking my photo without asking. Nothing too perturbing.

I haven't been there but my sister said the same thing happened to her and she also hated Singapore. She said people were pointing and taking photos of her and pulling at her.
    She has blonde hair and very pale skin and blue eyes. Maybe it's the blonde hair blue eye combo they find fascinating.

I haven't been there but my sister said the same thing happened to her and she also hated Singapore. She said people were pointing and taking photos of her and pulling at her.
    She has blonde hair and very pale skin and blue eyes. Maybe it's the blonde hair blue eye combo they find fascinating.

Fair enough. I definitely believe you. It’s just very surprising because there really are loads of white people living there or passing through. It’s not like you’re a novelty at all.

The picture thing is a bit odd. I’m a guy with blondish hair and blue eyes and was definitely papped a few times myself :). The strangest one was an older man who looked very guilty when I turned around and reacted to the camera flash. I dread to think where that picture ended up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Fair enough. I definitely believe you. It’s just very surprising because there really are loads of white people living there or passing through. It’s not like you’re a novelty at all.

The picture thing is a bit odd. I’m a guy with blondish hair and blue eyes and was definitely papped a few times myself :). The strangest one was an older man who looked very guilty when I turned around and reacted to the camera flash. I dread to think where that picture ended up !

I experienced this in Bali from Japanese tourists. I'm not blonde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Can't comment on Rome but I honestly have never heard anyone describe Lisbon as dull, for good reason. Rundown maybe, but it's one of the nicest cities I've ever been to, extremely colourful, full of character, steeped in history, amazing food, and one of the nicest climates of any city in Europe. And a great place to go out as well! Certainly high on the list of places I'd like to return to once things return to normal.

Can't comment on Rome but I honestly have never heard anyone describe Lisbon as dull, for good reason. Rundown maybe, but it's one of the nicest cities I've ever been to, extremely colourful, full of character, steeped in history, amazing food, and one of the nicest climates of any city in Europe. And a great place to go out as well! Certainly high on the list of places I'd like to return to once things return to normal.

All of that, plus pretty nice, friendly people for a major capital city.

All of that, plus pretty nice, friendly people for a major capital city.

I'd forgotten about the food in Lisbon. So cheap and so delicious. I remember having rotisserie chicken and the juices from the chicken dripped onto the rack of salty chips below. Amazing..especially hungover after the massive 3 euro cocktails :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Hammanet in Tunisia, an absolute kip

Yeah, possibly so. This was about 25 years ago and before widespread internet so it may have been more of a novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hontou

I was based in Singapore in the mid 90's and I found it quite cosmopolitan with all hair colours. All nationalities. I am surprised to find people found it boring. I found it fascinating. It was my first experience of "the far east" and the street food, Orchard Road, the tailor shops, the modern architecture mixed with English colonial buildings, the mix of asian food, the humidity, the cargo ships on the horizon, the fish markets, the "rules" (no chewing gum, no smoking etc) were all so new to me......a feast for the senses. Felt very safe there. Was based on Sentosa island, so was very lucky.

Hontou wrote: »
    I was based in Singapore in the mid 90's and I found it quite cosmopolitan with all hair colours. All nationalities. I am surprised to find people found it boring. I found it fascinating. It was my first experience of "the far east" and the street food, Orchard Road, the tailor shops, the modern architecture mixed with English colonial buildings, the mix of asian food, the humidity, the cargo ships on the horizon, the fish markets, the "rules" (no chewing gum, no smoking etc) were all so new to me......a feast for the senses. Felt very safe there. Was based on Sentosa island, so was very lucky.

That sounds pretty cool alright. I've only been in Singapore airport on route to Australia for a few hours and it was more exciting than a few cities named on here :)
    My sister hates the sun so that may have been a part of her dislike. Annoyingly she always wants to travel to far off lands but inevitably bitches about how hot it is! We went to Belgrade a couple of years ago and it was sweltering. She knew it would be yet complained the entire time.
    Sorry for digressing to moan about my sister :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

NSAman wrote: »
    See this is why play-stations ruined the world..:)

‘‘Twas long before play stations, and that awful that if I got a free ticket and permission to travel there tomorrow I’d pass. I love some parts of the west but Inis mor or inis bore as I call it, no thanks

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I had forgotten about Naples, probably deliberately. Took a train trip there once from a holiday base at Sorrento and found it to be a total dump. Dirty streets and buildings and a bad feeling about the place. Straight out of the train station there were two dead rats on the kerb and rubbish blowing gently down the street. All I saw was an impression of neglect and disinterest in the place.

I had heard the phrase, 'see Naples and die'... so I got out before it might have happened.

Naples isn't great. It is the only city I've been to abroad where I felt a bit unsafe. My first night there I was followed back to my apartment by a few lads. It wasn't even that late. The area surrounding Naples in nice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Strange thread. No place is boring really, it's about what you the traveller make of it. You could have the best holiday of your life at the bottom of an abandoned quarry with good people and the right attitude.

I see some places here described as boring, it makes me wonder what people were expecting on arrival. Athens was mentioned - a city dripping in history ffs.

Yeah I thought I was a miserable fecker, but holly hell some are finding entire countries and big cities which millions of tourists visit every year and masses to see and do as boring.

Are some expecting their local, Copper Face Jacks and a chipper just like home and people out drinking like mad eejits at 1 in the morning ?

And holy shyte some are lumping in a town in the middle of Ireland or a harbour town in Wales to massive cities with huge history in Sweden, Austria, Netherlands.

FFS Florence, Vienna, Stockholm, Amsterdam have been mentioned ???

Jaysus lads if you find those places boring then I would hate to see what you would think of the real backwards one donkey towns in those countries or elsewhere.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Really? Having entertained many visitors over the years, Dublin is very limited for a capital city.

Most small cities offer very little, Murcia, Oviedo failed to impress but are ok to work in I guess.

As a tourist the worst place was kilkenny in Ireland. You have a castle and...........

Then Milan. Wow was that disappointing. Guy trying to mug me at the San siro was the highlight of a bad weekend

That's such a strange blanket statement to make, about small cities having to offer . If you are looking specifically for characteristics that only large cities possess by virtue of their size and equate that to small cities having little to offer then sure. One of my favourite cities in Europe , Siena , is only about the size of Waterford , if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

Newtownhamilton - Didn’t even speak the language, and was boring.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah I thought I was a miserable fecker, but holly hell some are finding entire countries and big cities which millions of tourists visit every year and masses to see and do as boring.

Are some expecting their local, Copper Face Jacks and a chipper just like home and people out drinking like mad eejits at 1 in the morning ?

And holy shyte some are lumping in a town in the middle of Ireland or a harbour town in Wales to massive cities with huge history in Sweden, Austria, Netherlands.

FFS Florence, Vienna, Stockholm, Amsterdam have been mentioned ???

Jaysus lads if you find those places boring then I would hate to see what you would think of the real backwards one donkey towns in those countries or elsewhere.

Haha have to agree with you Jmayo. Saying Amsterdam is boring for example is a tad ridiculous.
    It reminds me of the supposedly attractive but aren't attractive thread and people saying Margot Roberts or Michelle Pfeiffer and it's like oh come on. Some things empirically are fact and not a matter of opinion.

I think a lack of research, insufficient time or just going to the wrong parts of a city are a factor.
    Alot of people have talked about how dirty or dangerous places are too but that doesnt mean they're boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Surprised to see Berlin mentioned a few times. One of the few places I've went back to and would do so again. It's not the prettiest place in the world and not the easiest to navigate but that adds to the charm in my opinion. Berlin in December is amazing.

The most boring places I have visited would include:

Northern Queensland (Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton etc) if you're not there for the backpacker experience (drinking boxes of wine, campervans, bars etc etc), it's an incredibly dull place. Lived in Australia and had to work there for a few weeks and couldn't wait to leave.

Marseille: just didn't get the place. Also found it extremely rough and constantly felt on edge walking around.

Sihanoukville: crap seedy nightlife, filthy beach, no history about the place. Absolutely loved Cambodia in general but this place wasn't for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Naples isn't great. It is the only city I've been to abroad where I felt a bit unsafe. My first night there I was followed back to my apartment by a few lads. It wasn't even that late. The area surrounding Naples in nice though.

Fine in the daytime/early evening but at night there is a weird undercurrent of danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

feargantae wrote: »
    Athens

A smelly kip of a city with cockroaches at tram stations and plumbing so old you can't flush toilet roll in many buildings. Just a bin beside the toilet full of shıt-covered tissue in 40°C weather

The city peaked thousands of years ago

I actually loved Athens! Thought there was lots to do and was beautiful. Also not far from some lovely beaches. Was unaware of the rough part of Athens but like all places, you just try avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ah wow is this a windup? Even people who don't particularly like history or architecture are usually mystified by Rome. It's just one of those cities that impresses pretty much everyone. I first visited when I was 18, on a class tour with my year when I first started architecture, looking back on memories it's like a dream sequence. Just pure magic that place, literally could explore it for your entire life and find amazing new things there everyday, every building, every house,every street, you can just feel the memory of the hundreds of generations that lived and worked there before you set foot on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Lyon. It’s a nice city and quite liveable but actually quite boring. There’s really not much to do there.

Riga and Copenhagen also, although they were short weekend trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Vienna, or Austria as a whole really

As many others have mentioned Holyhead

Stockholm

Charlotte, North Carolina

Copenhagen

Leeds

Birmingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Torremolinos was pretty dull. We went over in November because it was really cheap. It must have been senior citizen holiday season or something because it was just full of old people. Very few bars were open also.

The best bar we could find was actually a British themed bar. I think the owner was from Blackpool and he was actually a really nice guy. Apart from that and the nice coastline there was very little to see and do there. It was our own fault for going there during "senior citizens holiday season"

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Ah wow is this a windup? Even people who don't particularly like history or architecture are usually mystified by Rome. It's just one of those cities that impresses pretty much everyone. I first visited when I was 18, on a class tour with my year when I first started architecture, looking back on memories it's like a dream sequence. Just pure magic that place, literally could explore it for your entire life and find amazing new things there everyday, every building, every house,every street, you can just feel the memory of the hundreds of generations that lived and worked there before you set foot on it.
    It just didn't do it for me. The history is interesting but the city overall was a let down. In saying that, I could go back a second time and end up enjoying it more. I would agree with Porklife - insufficient time or just going to the wrong parts of a city are a factor. I love Prague for example because its really lively and there's so much to do there, but looking back now, I definitely went to the wrong parts the first time I visited it.

Also Vienna was mentioned on this thread which is an amazing city with an endless amount of fun things to do. I'll definitely be going back there whenever I get the chance.

Snoozy Salzburg; pristine, fairy tale-like, old moneyed, geriatric, tedious, souless citadel to the oblivion of Being. Good sausages all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

sometimes boring can be good.

tuscany is one of my faviourite places. there is nothing to do in these sleepy small towns but walk around and eat nice food and gelato. the opposite of this would be a theme park but would be hell for me with noises and people rushing round and too much stimulation.

a couple of towns in cuba were similar, beautiful to look at but nothing to do. i think the secret is to just stay for a day and then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Toronto has been mentioned a few times. I've been there twice, and came away with the impression that the locals only care about tourism up to a point. It's their home, where they live and work. Sure, it has its tourist traps (the CN Tower is awesome), but if I go there again after things are back to "normal" it will be for at least a week. I'll use EventBrite or whatever to find things like gallery openings or talks at universities, and try to not be a tourist.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

After Hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    well they did start two WW's ...it's not like they have a track record in joviality in fairness
    Funniest post/reply of this thread :pac:

do i get a prize?

Christchurch, New Zealand. Might be due to the earthquake in 2011 so I would be curious what it was like before then.

But visited in 2017 and found it to be basically like a doughnut. You drive through suburbs to get to a city centre that kind of doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

sometimes boring can be good.

tuscany is one of my faviourite places. there is nothing to do in these sleepy small towns but walk around and eat nice food and gelato. the opposite of this would be a theme park but would be hell for me with noises and people rushing round and too much stimulation.

a couple of towns in cuba were similar, beautiful to look at but nothing to do. i think the secret is to just stay for a day and then go somewhere else.

I used to always wonder why were so many people were always on about Tuscany and then I went.
    If you want crowds, history and art slapping you in the face every minute go to Florence, a little less so Sienna.
    But the real joy is the smaller towns, especially the hill towns.

Wander around, take in the views, saunter into a restaurant particularly one with a view and enjoy.
    Have a few drinks and wander around a bit more.
    And then follow it up with a huge dollop of ice cream. :D

Maybe you need to be older and less looking for a p**s up and nightclubs?

BTW if into driving also do Tuscany and try keep up with the locals on the windy roads.
    There is a reason a few Ferrari drivers have claimed the reason the Italians are so critical is because they all think they are F1 drivers.
    Christchurch, New Zealand. Might be due to the earthquake in 2011 so I would be curious what it was like before then.

But visited in 2017 and found it to be basically like a doughnut. You drive through suburbs to get to a city centre that kind of doesn't exist.

The centre was nice enough from what I remember of it.

People bitch about New Zealand when they need to realise it is full of Kiwis who are quiet and sometimes can be kinda dour.
    I reckon it is the preponderance of Scottish presbyterian descendants.

They are very different from their fellow colonial neighbours where you have far more Irish, Italian, Greek descendants.

And thus a lot of Kiwi towns are awfully quiet.
    You don't visit NZ for the towns or cities, you visit for the mountains, the ocean, the drives, the fjords, the volcanoes and the adventure sports or to work on a farm.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Roscommon town. Stupefyingly dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

ek motor wrote: »
    Roscommon town. Stupefyingly dull.

I did not even know there was a Roscommon town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement