Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

I did not even know there was a Roscommon town.

Roscommon has many boring towns. Lough Key forest park is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

ek motor wrote: »
    Roscommon has many boring towns. Lough Key forest park is nice though.

i recall in college there was a high proportion of students from roscommon, leitrim and other boring places. appears living in boring towns meant there were no distractions when doing the leaving cert. and thus they got higher points than people from more interesting places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Helsinki. But admittedly it was at the wrong time: Summer, probably great fun with decent weather and life. Winter, even better. We went in September or something for some bloody reason. People were great and friendly and up for the craic. But it was just the wrong time of year

It was so boring that I went to the cinema to see a film that 1: I had seen before. 2: Was in Japanese 3: had subtitles in 3 languages..... except for English :)

Helsinki. But admittedly it was at the wrong time: Summer, probably great fun with decent weather and life. Winter, even better. We went in September or something for some bloody reason. People were great and friendly and up for the craic. But it was just the wrong time of year

It was so boring that I went to the cinema to see a film that 1: I had seen before. 2: Was in Japanese 3: had subtitles in 3 languages..... except for English :)

September is actually a good time to visit Helsinki!
    Definitely not in winter........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Helsinki is on my to do list. I have heard mixed reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

suomenlinna island is nice to visit.
    And to walk around the market down by the marina.

You can do a day trip via the ferry from Estonia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stuboy01

Lisbon.
    Worked there for 2 days on a project, arrived Sunday morning, city was nice during the day, but everything was closed come 9 oclock. no bars, restaurants or anything. WTF? Had to go down to Docas region to get food. huge restaurant about 3 tables had people.
    Now maybe it was a bad day of the week to want to go out but jaysus. Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

jmayo wrote: »
    You don't visit NZ for the towns or cities, you visit for the mountains, the ocean, the drives, the fjords, the volcanoes and the adventure sports or to work on a farm.

Still amazes me people go there who have seemingly no interest in these things.

Probably one of the most diverse range of things to do in a relatively small country. Case in point an interesting fact is that NZ is the country with the worlds highest per capita boat ownership. People actually enjoy the environment rather than just looking at it. Great hiking, hunting, fishing (all types), skiing, surfing, white-water rafting, caving - and all in a diverse landscape. If you having no interest in a little exercise or getting dirty, it shouldn't be high on your list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think a lot of these "boring" places are reflective of the people going rather than the place itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The recurring theme here a lot of European city’s seem to close up early at night time , I found this to be true in a lot of the smaller European city’s especially midweek .
    I remember being in Munich and it was the same everything in city centre closed before 9 , not only German cities I have noticed it a lot in mainland Europe.
    I think we have the misconception that all city’s should be like Dublin on a Saturday night.
    I have often even struggled to find restaurants open in some cities after 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

harr wrote: »
    The recurring theme here a lot of European city’s seem to close up early at night time , I found this to be true in a lot of the smaller European city’s especially midweek .
    I remember being in Munich and it was the same everything in city centre closed before 9 , not only German cities I have noticed it a lot in mainland Europe.
    I think we have the misconception that all city’s should be like Dublin on a Saturday night.

I remember being in Santa Barbara, California for my J1. I remember our first night out we were heading downtown for a night out. Everything ended about 1am, maybe earlier and the entire beachfront was just empty after 8pm in the middle of the summer. I remember myself and my friend thinking if we were in Spain this entire area would be buzzing with life. It's probably indicative of the type of person who lives and invests in Santa Barbara that it just doesn't have any real life to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think a lot of these "boring" places are reflective of the people going rather than the place itself.

Absolutely! I honestly cannot ever remember being bored anywhere.

LIke now in lockdown, so many saying they are bored. In my third year of lockdown no boredom here
    Always plenty to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Bishops Stortford. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Stuttgart.

Should be called "Stupidgart".

It will be when you return*.

*I am not affiliated with Stuttgarth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Dublin, what an absolute **** hole of a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I remember being in Santa Barbara, California for my J1. I remember our first night out we were heading downtown for a night out. Everything ended about 1am, maybe earlier and the entire beachfront was just empty after 8pm in the middle of the summer. I remember myself and my friend thinking if we were in Spain this entire area would be buzzing with life. It's probably indicative of the type of person who lives and invests in Santa Barbara that it just doesn't have any real life to it.

It has great nightlife now in the "funk zone" just of State Street near the beach. Terrible name granted but 3 or 4 bars down there now that go late and have music. It was just old warehouses and a titty bar before.

A lot of white America are early finishers, early risers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    Maynooth or Leixlip for me.

Two grey little villages/big housing estates plonked on the side of a motorway.
    Maynooth is probably the best town in Kildare. The college area is really nice. Some great restaurants on the main street. Athy, Naas and Newbridge are dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Most exciting thing to do in Helsinki is to take the booze cruise to Tallinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

harr wrote: »

Nightclubs are prevalent in alot of European cities so between 9pm and 12am it may seem quiet but clubs go on all night. That's my idea of hell but whatever you're into!

It does make you appreciate how cool Dublin actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Went to the Maldives - and you are on a sand bank in the middle of the ocean. The journey out to them was the best part.

That is it.

I know it is meant to be that and all about the loving. But I just need to get out of them resorts for a few hours every day.

They can be kinda like a prison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

stuboy01 wrote: »
    Lisbon.
    Worked there for 2 days on a project, arrived Sunday morning, city was nice during the day, but everything was closed come 9 oclock. no bars, restaurants or anything. WTF? Had to go down to Docas region to get food. huge restaurant about 3 tables had people.
    Now maybe it was a bad day of the week to want to go out but jaysus. Sunday night!

Ah it'd be harsh to judge Lisbon or any other city on a Sunday night when you expect it to be buzzing. No city I know of goes out in any meaningful way on Sunday nights...except Irish ones.

Even English pubs are dead after 5ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah jaysus Helsinki is cool enough.
    duffmann wrote: »
    Most exciting thing to do in Helsinki is to take the booze cruise to Tallinn

There used to be great place around the central square at the railway station and I aint talking about the Zetor bar either.
    They had basement where they had live bands and they were often quite good.
    And when they did famous song in Finnish you could play guess the song.

Also natives are quite friendly, even if some of them tend to stare a hell of a lot.
    Kinda off putting for us Irish.

BTW don't get between a lot of the Finnish guys, even some women, and their cheap booze on one of those ferries to Stockholm.
    You think some Irish are mad for booze. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Went to the Maldives - and you are on a sand bank in the middle of the ocean. The journey out to them was the best part.

That is it.

I know it is meant to be that and all about the loving. But I just need to get out of them resorts for a few hours every day.

They can be kinda like a prison.

What did you expect?
    A motorway to a big city ?

This is what gets me.
    People can easily work out what some places are going to be like before they go.
    It would be like going to New York or Hong Kong and then complaining about the amount of people in the place.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah it'd be harsh to judge Lisbon or any other city on a Sunday night when you expect it to be buzzing. No city I know of goes out in any meaningful way on Sunday nights...except Irish ones.

Even English pubs are dead after 5ish.

Day drinking is the norm everywhere on a Sunday but the difference in Ireland is we demand a pub stays open for the full licenced time no matter what.

London pubs a busiest between 6 and 9 or 10 on weekdays and the the last hour before closing is usually cleaning and closing down by the staff which is why they are very keen to throw stragglers (usually Irish) out the second it hits closing time

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Day drinking is the norm everywhere on a Sunday but the difference in Ireland is we demand a pub stays open for the full licenced time no matter what.

London pubs a busiest between 6 and 9 or 10 on weekdays and the the last hour before closing is usually cleaning and closing down by the staff which is why they are very keen to throw stragglers (usually Irish) out the second it hits closing time

Yeah, that's what I was saying about the post I quoted. To arrive in a European city on a Sunday, go out that evening and expect it to be lively, engaging and fun and judge it on that simply isn't realistic.

Ireland is one of the few countries (only one I know, I'm obviously not including tourist resorts) where you can find a bit of life and fun in bars in the bigger towns/cities 7 nights a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, sorry. It’s subjective.

If you posted about a film you went to see, said you found it boring, I replied...

“ I think that could be reflective of you, rather then the film itself “

Would that sound like a reasonable reply ? Or would I just take your opinion and experience of that film on face value, that you found it boring and didn’t like it... regardless of what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Lisbon is alright on Sundays but not Sunday night. I recall leaving hotel and having to return to it a few hours later. We gave up. Monday was completely different though. It was as though someone threw a switch. Istanbul was lively enough on Sunday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Stockholm for me, dreary af, nobody around considering the population. That being said I haven't seen much of the USA bar NY/SF/Boston but I'm reliably informed that the remainder of the country is either too dangerous to travel to or a snore fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Strumms wrote: »

If you posted about a film you went to see, said you found it boring, I replied...

Would that sound like a reasonable reply ? Or would I just take your opinion and experience of that film on face value, that you found it boring and didn’t like it... regardless of what I thought.

I think posters are taking about two completely different things
    Some are talking about pubs and nighlife in places and some about the place itself
    If I go to Rome for nighlife maybe I would be disappointed . But it wouldn’t even enter my head to go for that reason
    I would be in Rome for the sheer beauty and history and as an aside food . So I wouldn’t understand anyone thinking Rome boring .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lived in Finland for a year for work and the cities are pretty dead in the summer months because a lot of Finns have summer houses by the lakes and in the forests outside the cities and they go there every weekend. Mid summers festival (Juhannas) is huge there and the whole country decamps from the cities to the countryside for it. But out in the countryside every weekend in summer is a huge session of thousands of people drinking beer, taking saunas and speedboating on the lakes. We played pitch and putt pissed drunk one of the nights at 2am with the sun right there just above the horizon, it never gets dark.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Ah jaysus Helsinki is cool enough.
    BTW don't get between a lot of the Finnish guys, even some women, and their cheap booze on one of those ferries to Stockholm.
    You think some Irish are mad for booze. ;)

Have been on that ferry to Sweden and its an almighty session for Finns. There is actually two ferries, one that takes 8 hours and the other almost 20. The 20 hour one just stops in the middle of the sea overnight so people can drink duty free alcohol all night. Alot of the Finns stay on the boat when it gets to Stockholm until it goes back a few hours later and they go drinking on for the second night, its a proper 2 day booze cruise.

• Advertisement

Counterpoint: There is one way to experience a film, there are a million ways to experience a city.

hahashake wrote: »
    Counterpoint: There is one way to experience a film, there are a million ways to experience a city.

True, 100%... but each of us would enjoy a film differently.... and that can be the same for a city...

I love Paris, I lived there, but a girl who I was working with and from Kildare left practically in tears, hated it, the people, everything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I'm sorry.
    But Rome is one of the most interesting cities on earth.
    It would take weeks to see everything.

If you like history, culture, art and architecture.
    It's all there.
    Too many tourists though, same with Venice.

If you are bored with Rome, you are probably on life support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stuboy01

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I was saying about the post I quoted. To arrive in a European city on a Sunday, go out that evening and expect it to be lively, engaging and fun and judge it on that simply isn't realistic.

In fairness, I thought the daytime in Lisbon city centre on the sunday was great, vibrant, full and loads of venues for good food etc. I think I was just surprised that the capital city completely shut down around 9 pm and was deserted. I did accept that it was a Sunday night thing, and wouldn't have been the case any other night. also, I was comparing it to my friends wife's home town of Pontavedra just north of Portugal where the social food and drink scene is traditional spanish night time based. A beautiful place to visit BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think posters are taking about two completely different things
    Some are talking about pubs and nighlife in places and some about the place itself
    If I go to Rome for nighlife maybe I would be disappointed . But it wouldn’t even enter my head to go for that reason
    I would be in Rome for the sheer beauty and history and as an aside food . So I wouldn’t understand anyone thinking Rome boring .
    A place can have beauty and history and still be boring, just like a holiday resort can have nice weather and beaches and still be boring. Prague has beauty and history but it also has good nightlife and other things to do to keep you entertained. The novelty of sight seeing can wear off after a while.

True, 100%... but each of us would enjoy a film differently.... and that can be the same for a city...

I love Paris, I lived there, but a girl who I was working with and from Kildare left practically in tears, hated it, the people, everything about it.

Obviously there is a subjective element, but part of that subjectivity is based on what you choose to do and who you met. Which is a combination of your own decisions and luck. It's not as if 2 people who visit Paris have the exact same experience unless they are literally together every second, and even then their experience will be completely different to someone else's. So it's apples and oranges for the same city. Plenty of people, including French people, told me Parians are rude but both times I went, I met a mixture of friendly and rude people. Could've easily tipped one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Eindhoven, Prague, Hannover, Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

what did she hate about Paris? Parisians can be a bit gruff but but you get that in cities with a lot of tourism, the locals just get tired of tourists everywhere walking slowly and getting in their way. Then they try talking english to a local and it doesnt go down well, hence the Parisian reputation for being gruff.

But Paris itself is a stunning city, it really has to rank as the most beautiful city in the world. If you sat down to create a new city with an unlimited budget it still wouldnt turn out as beautiful as Paris.

hahashake wrote: »
    Obviously there is a subjective element, but part of that subjectivity is based on what you choose to do and who you met. Which is a combination of your own decisions and luck. It's not as if 2 people who visit Paris have the exact same experience unless they are literally together every second, and even then their experience will be completely different to someone else's. So it's apples and oranges for the same city. Plenty of people, including French people, told me Parians are rude but both times I went, I met a mixture of friendly and rude people. Could've easily tipped one way or the other.

I’d an unbelievable positive experience with French people. As I’ve said elsewhere the boss who I reported to there the Irish, a difficult rude bitch of a human... all the French from the younger gang my age up to those approaching retirement as well as a few Italians were beyond sound..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Possibly but that's not really the thread is it. Dublin's a lot of things but its certainly not boring

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Possibly but that's not really the thread is it. Dublin's a lot of things but its certainly not boring

Eh, it can be. It's got better though or at least was pre-Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A place can have beauty and history and still be boring, just like a holiday resort can have nice weather and beaches and still be boring. Prague has beauty and history but it also has good nightlife and other things to do to keep you entertained. The novelty of sight seeing can wear off after a while.
    As I said , it’s subjective . The novelty never wears off me and no interest in nighlife .

We have a live one here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Have to agree with you on Howth. Yot get off the Dart there and what is there to do and see? There's that pub, the Bloody Stream for a pint, look at a few effing trawlers and then get fish and chips only to have a seagull mug you for them.

Other places that I have found boring were Kansas City. Even the dive bars are sterile. Reston Virginia....stepford wives mecca. Nashua New Hampshire. Luxembourg City. Found Malta to be pretty lame as well. Was recommended to go on holiday with the gf to Ballyvaughn in Clare and how there's great seafood chowder in some place called Monks, I think. Fcuking most boring place I've ever been. Tried the chowder. It was ok, no better than anything I've had anywhere else. Should have stayed in Lisdoonvarna or Galway instead. At least there would have been a bit of craic.

Why would you travel to Howth just to go to a pub? Just stay in the city centre. They only have one of the best coastal walks in the entire country but you wouldn't know that sitting in a generic Irish pub with a pint of Guinness and a fish and chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jackben75 wrote: »
    Eindhoven, Prague, Hannover, Louth

Prague is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Geneva.

Not a bad city but seems to be geared towards business people and is really expensive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

North Dakota.

Prague is class

Probably stuck to the clock and the old town square. I'd love to be back there now. It just has a cool vibe to it, the vibe there just seems less rigid than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Probably stuck to the clock and the old town square. I'd love to be back there now. It just has a cool vibe to it, the vibe there just seems less rigid than Dublin

And great beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Loving this thread. Only halfway through but thought I'd give my list anyway.

Galway: Slightly prettier version of temple bar. You'll have completed Galway city in about 2 hours then there's nothing to do other than go for a pint.

Cork: what an ugly place. More to do than in Galway but I wasn't impressed at all.
    I found Waterford and Limerick to be a lot better to visit.

Bruges: stayed here for a few nights, absolutely nothing to do after our walking tour. Beautiful city but very dull after you did a tour of it. Nightlife was non existent, had to end up eating I'm burger king as there was nothing else to choose from.

Amsterdam: a city full of weed cafe's and half baked women in windows yet it's one of the most boring places I've been to.

Bratislava: went on a "lads trip". Grand place for 1 night but there's nothing to do in the day and the only craic to have was with other Irish and British.

Singapore: I think it's an even more culturless and soulless version of Dubai. Couldn't wait to get out.

Bogota: Everything to see can be done in half a day. The rest of the city is just an extremely ugly dump. Flew to Medellin after that and couldn't get enough of the city.

A lot of people mentioned Vienna. I can get why many mentioned it but I have to disagree. If you're there to get pissed and have no interest in actually experiencing Viennese culture then you're not going to have a very fun experience. I absolutely loved Vienna. We then got a train to Budapest and got best of both worlds... Stunning architecture with countless attractions AND world class nightlife. I have no idea how Budapest was mentioned in this thread. If you find Budapest boring then I think that says a lot more about you than it does Budapest :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement