Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why would you travel to Howth just to go to a pub? Just stay in the city centre. They only have one of the best coastal walks in the entire country but you wouldn't know that sitting in a generic Irish pub with a pint of Guinness and a fish and chips.

I did Howth and Greystones to Bray Seaside walks. Both were amazingly beautiful.

If you drop in on the first pub in town, then yes, you're giving the place short shrift since the whole point of Howth is to go up the hill.

The nicer pubs are up the streets, McNeill's of Howth was a treat; good pint, nice food and atmosphere. I went twice on the same day a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Jaysis this thread is making me desperate to travel again. I'd nearly prefer to go to some of the places described than still be stuck at home!
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Valencia in Spain is a strange place

It's quite beautiful but the people are not nice at all , hardly any foreigners visit the place, rude staff , tourist offices hidden from site, city of arts and sciences a real let down despite being it's flagship attraction, aquarium filthy, great zoo though

Did majorca the following year and faith was restored in Spain, palma is fantastic

This is such a weird view. How does hardly any foreigners visiting make somewhere boring, or even bad? You must have gone to a different Valencia because the one I went to was fantastic - massive riverbed park through the city you can use to cycle through to get around, gorgeous beaches a short drive outside the city and a reasonable city beach as well, loads of amazing bars and restaurants, the Albufera, home of paella, gorgeous Old Town with cathedral and other stunning buildings...it honestly sounds like you did just did it wrong. And I also saw tons of foreign tourists, all over the place.
    It's a horrible place. To make matters worse I couldn't get a flight home from Warsaw and had to drive to Lodz.

That's worse.

If there was a ever a city caught in a time warp then it is Lodz.

Most Polish cities I've visited have been absolutely shocking. Just awful, ugly, bland, unfriendly people. The exception is Krakow.

For me, I'd say the most boring place is any Swiss city. They're beautiful and clean but they all seem to have a soullessness about them, whether you go to Zurich or Lucerne or Geneva or Lausanne. Dull with little real character or charm. Bern was the nicest I went to but even then I'd say you'd get bored after one or two days there. Of course the real attraction of Switzerland is the nature and scenery, not the cities, and that never disappoints, but it's a shame most of the cities are so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

And great beer.
    And great birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what did she hate about Paris? Parisians can be a bit gruff but but you get that in cities with a lot of tourism, the locals just get tired of tourists everywhere walking slowly and getting in their way. Then they try talking english to a local and it doesnt go down well, hence the Parisian reputation for being gruff.

But Paris itself is a stunning city, it really has to rank as the most beautiful city in the world. If you sat down to create a new city with an unlimited budget it still wouldnt turn out as beautiful as Paris.

I think she was just a bit lonely, she didn’t take to the food, the people, not a fan of the job, job she was promised too didn’t match the job description on applying...she was shafted a bit there... missed her family and friends..didn’t like being outside her comfort zone..

I love Paris, an absolute goldmine of a city, can’t figure how anybody could be bored... pretty much 100% of museums and attractions are free on Mondays, brilliant nightlife, food, and just to stroll around it’s fantastic.

Loving this thread. Only halfway through but thought I'd give my list anyway.

Galway: Slightly prettier version of temple bar. You'll have completed Galway city in about 2 hours then there's nothing to do other than go for a pint.

Cork: what an ugly place. More to do than in Galway but I wasn't impressed at all.
    I found Waterford and Limerick to be a lot better to visit.

Bruges: stayed here for a few nights, absolutely nothing to do after our walking tour. Beautiful city but very dull after you did a tour of it. Nightlife was non existent, had to end up eating I'm burger king as there was nothing else to choose from.

Amsterdam: a city full of weed cafe's and half baked women in windows yet it's one of the most boring places I've been to.

Bratislava: went on a "lads trip". Grand place for 1 night but there's nothing to do in the day and the only craic to have was with other Irish and British.

Singapore: I think it's an even more culturless and soulless version of Dubai. Couldn't wait to get out.

Bogota: Everything to see can be done in half a day. The rest of the city is just an extremely ugly dump. Flew to Medellin after that and couldn't get enough of the city.

A lot of people mentioned Vienna. I can get why many mentioned it but I have to disagree. If you're there to get pissed and have no interest in actually experiencing Viennese culture then you're not going to have a very fun experience. I absolutely loved Vienna. We then got a train to Budapest and got best of both worlds... Stunning architecture with countless attractions AND world class nightlife. I have no idea how Budapest was mentioned in this thread. If you find Budapest boring then I think that says a lot more about you than it does Budapest :D

Yes, I love Budapest, too. What a stunning city, architecturally, and the parks are superb. The food is excellent, and cheap, comparatively speaking.

I wouldn't say Budapest is boring but I'd agree with other posters that the people there are not the friendliest. A lot of it is really run down. All the stunning architecture is on one side of the river.

When people say nightlife do they mean techno raves or a good restaurant?

I’m surprised that Bruges doesn’t have a restaurant or two. I just looked on Tripadvisor and it has a beer tour. Can’t go wrong with that can you?

I wouldn't say Budapest is boring but I'd agree with other posters that the people there are not the friendliest. A lot of it is really run down. All the stunning architecture is on one side of the river.

There’s two cities!

There’s two cities!
    Yeah I think Buda is the nice one if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I was about 8, my ma brought me to Pennies to do shopping and she stopped to talk to a friend.

Most boring place Ive ever been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Your Face wrote: »
    Galway Tourism has made fools of a lot of people :D

It is actually Dublin-based media who big up Galway more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Strumms wrote: »

I love Paris, an absolute goldmine of a city, can’t figure how anybody could be bored... pretty much 100% of museums and attractions are free on Mondays, brilliant nightlife, food, and just to stroll around it’s fantastic.

100% and Paris is the last of the mega-cities you can still find decent and inexpensive places to eat even right in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Sydney.

Opera house, Harbour Bridge, Coogee to Bondi walk...

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Jaysis this thread is making me desperate to travel again. I'd nearly prefer to go to some of the places described than still be stuck at home!

This is such a weird view. How does hardly any foreigners visiting make somewhere boring, or even bad? You must have gone to a different Valencia because the one I went to was fantastic - massive riverbed park through the city you can use to cycle through to get around, gorgeous beaches a short drive outside the city and a reasonable city beach as well, loads of amazing bars and restaurants, the Albufera, home of paella, gorgeous Old Town with cathedral and other stunning buildings...it honestly sounds like you did just did it wrong. And I also saw tons of foreign tourists, all over the place.

Most Polish cities I've visited have been absolutely shocking. Just awful, ugly, bland, unfriendly people. The exception is Krakow.

For me, I'd say the most boring place is any Swiss city. They're beautiful and clean but they all seem to have a soullessness about them, whether you go to Zurich or Lucerne or Geneva or Lausanne. Dull with little real character or charm. Bern was the nicest I went to but even then I'd say you'd get bored after one or two days there. Of course the real attraction of Switzerland is the nature and scenery, not the cities, and that never disappoints, but it's a shame most of the cities are so boring.

Would definitely agree on Switzerland. Zurich was somewhat of a laugh but other cities, forget it, get a train into Germany and do 2 or 3 nights in Munich instead, much more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Probably stuck to the clock and the old town square. I'd love to be back there now. It just has a cool vibe to it, the vibe there just seems less rigid than Dublin

actually i lived there married to my now wife, it's boring as fcuk! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Loving this thread. Only halfway through but thought I'd give my list anyway.

Galway: Slightly prettier version of temple bar. You'll have completed Galway city in about 2 hours then there's nothing to do other than go for a pint.

Cork: what an ugly place. More to do than in Galway but I wasn't impressed at all.
    I found Waterford and Limerick to be a lot better to visit.

Bruges: stayed here for a few nights, absolutely nothing to do after our walking tour. Beautiful city but very dull after you did a tour of it. Nightlife was non existent, had to end up eating I'm burger king as there was nothing else to choose from.

Amsterdam: a city full of weed cafe's and half baked women in windows yet it's one of the most boring places I've been to.

Bratislava: went on a "lads trip". Grand place for 1 night but there's nothing to do in the day and the only craic to have was with other Irish and British.

Singapore: I think it's an even more culturless and soulless version of Dubai. Couldn't wait to get out.

Bogota: Everything to see can be done in half a day. The rest of the city is just an extremely ugly dump. Flew to Medellin after that and couldn't get enough of the city.

A lot of people mentioned Vienna. I can get why many mentioned it but I have to disagree. If you're there to get pissed and have no interest in actually experiencing Viennese culture then you're not going to have a very fun experience. I absolutely loved Vienna. We then got a train to Budapest and got best of both worlds... Stunning architecture with countless attractions AND world class nightlife. I have no idea how Budapest was mentioned in this thread. If you find Budapest boring then I think that says a lot more about you than it does Budapest :D

I think they must be confusing it with Bucharest. As for Bruges, best to stay in Ghent and do a day trip to Bruges. Ghent is more lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Jackben75 wrote: »
    actually i lived there married to my now wife, it's boring as fcuk! :pac:

Mad. I lived there too. I loved every bit of it. Just the feel of the place. Also, I was just there like a year and a half ago so maybe it was more dull beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't know if anyones mentioned it but ....Drogheda.

We were sent there on a school tour when i was about 8 or 9 years old. We saw Oliver Plunketts head. That was it. Who brings kids to see a head?

I realise most people here are thinking of a more far flung location when they reply in this thread but I'm including Drogheda because i was forced to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Mental. I lived there too. I loved every bit of it.

each to their own, i lived in many places, quite underwhelming (Prague), i love my wife though ahhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What age were you there? IMO it has everything you need to have a fun life. I'm trying to think of something it lacks and nothing I can think of stands out. Maybe it's overly reliant on immigrants, tourists and students for its nightlife; Czechs love drinking but in a more casual way. Of all the Czech girls I knew, they all seemed to be done with clubbing and drinking. They were only 21 and they were already past it. Completely different from Ireland where people tend to keep going out into their 30's.

When people say nightlife do they mean techno raves or a good restaurant?

I’m surprised that Bruges doesn’t have a restaurant or two. I just looked on Tripadvisor and it has a beer tour. Can’t go wrong with that can you?
    It probably depends on your age. I must be getting old as I'd prefer the latter. I suppose age would be a big factor generally. Like the film In Bruges where Brendan Gleeson loved it but Colin thought it was boring.

Well Buda has the old royal castle and it is hillier and has more of the older smaller residential architecture. The Pest side of the river has the grander, more recent architecture, let's say the past 300 years or so. Both sides are lovely.

The little town of Szentendre (St Andrew), is a nice little trip to do on the commuter rail from the Buda side. There is also, a vast network of wine caves in the suburbs on the Pest side which we didn't get to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had the misfortune of going out with a girl years ago from Longford town. I dreaded going there the odd weekend, it was an unbelievably dreary depressing **** hole. Other than go to the pub there was nothing to do there. Thankfully it didn’t work out between us and I haven’t been back in over 25 years and hopefully never will either.

Lived in Finland for a year for work and the cities are pretty dead in the summer months because a lot of Finns have summer houses by the lakes and in the forests outside the cities and they go there every weekend. Mid summers festival (Juhannas) is huge there and the whole country decamps from the cities to the countryside for it. But out in the countryside every weekend in summer is a huge session of thousands of people drinking beer, taking saunas and speedboating on the lakes. We played pitch and putt pissed drunk one of the nights at 2am with the sun right there just above the horizon, it never gets dark.

Have been on that ferry to Sweden and its an almighty session for Finns. There is actually two ferries, one that takes 8 hours and the other almost 20. The 20 hour one just stops in the middle of the sea overnight so people can drink duty free alcohol all night. Alot of the Finns stay on the boat when it gets to Stockholm until it goes back a few hours later and they go drinking on for the second night, its a proper 2 day booze cruise.

I love Finland but I wouldn't recommend it as a short term holiday to anyone!
    The first time I went, it was a Saturday afternoon and I said to my then Finnish boyfriend ' it's so quiet'
    He looked at me like I had 19 heads, it was just normal Finland!

It's a great country but you need long term stays to appreciate it I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    If you are bored with Rome, you are probably on life support.

Despite being a huge history fan I found it a bit meh after 5pm once the sites closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It is actually Dublin-based media who big up Galway more than anyone else.

They never mention the, excessively, large number of liberals living there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The worst thing about Budapest is when people pronounce it like they are from there.

Other than that, it’s a grand spot. Had some fun nights over there. You hear all these stories about agreeing on prices before taxi rides, and meals, but we never had any “issues”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You keep saying this but it doesn't make much sense. Because there's an arts festival or a few bearded buskers? The place is 1/4 full of culchie students who are too drunk or hungover to give a to give a toss about ideals and most of the rest are ordinary workers. In the last election for the area all the leftie parties did horribly badly, with the SF candidate (if you can call them liberal) being the only one returned. Noel Grealish nearly topped the poll and he's about as right wing a TD as there is atm

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You keep saying this but it doesn't make much sense. Because there's an arts festival or a few bearded buskers? The place is 1/4 full of culchie students who are too drunk or hungover to give a to give a toss about ideals and most of the rest are ordinary workers. In the last election for the area all the leftie parties did horribly badly, with the SF candidate (if you can call them liberal) being the only one returned. Noel Grealish nearly topped the poll and he's about as right wing a TD as there is atm

Apologies, H. I’m just repeating what another user had to say about why they hated Galway so much. “Too many liberals”.

I’m not overly fond of the place but I do like the city. Aside from the “crusties” it was hard to tell who was a liberal and who was a Tory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yes, I love Budapest, too. What a stunning city, architecturally, and the parks are superb. The food is excellent, and cheap, comparatively speaking.

Agree, I think there's possibly more to do in Budapest than any other European capital. Great blend of daytime sights, restaurants and a few interesting nightspots.

The before mentioned Rome is my favorite of all. Of the European ones, I thought the west German cities such as Dusseldorf and Cologne, while pretty, ended up lacking atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

100% and Paris is the last of the mega-cities you can still find decent and inexpensive places to eat even right in the centre.

You can still eat out in central London for cheap if you know where you're going, far cheaper than ireland anyway. All the Indian restaurants on Brick Lane are practically giving the food and drink away and you can BYO.

You can still eat out in central London for cheap if you know where you're going, far cheaper than ireland anyway. All the Indian restaurants on Brick Lane are practically giving the food and drink away and you can BYO.

Indian is particularly cheap but you will also get plenty of good meals for a tenner and if your not picky all you can eat Chinese for less than that on Soho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cgcsb wrote: »
    Stockholm for me, dreary af, nobody around considering the population. That being said I haven't seen much of the USA bar NY/SF/Boston but I'm reliably informed that the remainder of the country is either too dangerous to travel to or a snore fest.

Disagree about Stockholm. Yes the Swedes disappear early of a Sunday night, but calling the place dreary ?

Yeah you are right, all of the US is too dangerous or a snore fest.
    I mean Vegas is full of Mafia, you could fall into that big hole that is the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone is full of freaking bears and wolves waiting to eat ya, there's snakes and gators the minute you get off the plane in Florida.
    Hell even kids are being eaten in Disney. :eek:
    You'd bake in Death Valley.
    The middle of Merica is full of gun toting religous maniacs.
    Before ya know it you would be joined up to the Westboro baptist church.

I mean WTF who in their right mind would want to go near the place.

I am not allowed discuss …

hahashake wrote: »
    Still amazes me people go there who have seemingly no interest in these things.

Probably one of the most diverse range of things to do in a relatively small country. Case in point an interesting fact is that NZ is the country with the worlds highest per capita boat ownership. People actually enjoy the environment rather than just looking at it. Great hiking, hunting, fishing (all types), skiing, surfing, white-water rafting, caving - and all in a diverse landscape. If you having no interest in a little exercise or getting dirty, it shouldn't be high on your list.

My original post was about Christchurch specifically. I went to NZ and enjoyed most of the road trip and outdoor activities and scenery, but I remember Christchurch city centre being a little bit like a Church actually. And the cathedral is not as nice as our Christchurch cathedral.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Indian is particularly cheap but you will also get plenty of good meals for a tenner and if your not picky all you can eat Chinese for less than that on Soho

And Dalston for BYO Turkish and Vietnamese, endless choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Covid21

hahashake wrote: »
    Great barrier reef, Blue mountains, Whitsundays etc. are great. Melbourne is often ranked as one of the best cities in the world to live in and Sydney isn't far behind. More expensive than the developing world but what do you expect? When people from all around the world want to live there then the prices go up.

Plus you are comparing continents with billions of people and diverse cultures to a country of 20 million.

Sorry but it’s just my opinion, and I don’t seem to be alone with views. Especially on here.

I enjoyed the 3 months I spent in Australia but in comparison to the 20+ other countries I visited it’d be bottom of my list based on the following:
    Value for money, attractions, nightlife and people.

Maybe Melbourne is a great place to live in but it’s not that great to visit.
    Quite boring actually, I couldn’t wait to leave after a week.
    You could do the city in 2 days and the nightlife was poor in comparison to other similar cities.
    And the great ocean road is the most overrated drives in the world.

That is getting “old” there, Emmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My original post was about Christchurch specifically. I went to NZ and enjoyed most of the road trip and outdoor activities and scenery, but I remember Christchurch city centre being a little bit like a Church actually. And the cathedral is not as nice as our Christchurch cathedral.

I havent been there since the earthquake but Christchurch was the most boring of all the cities i visited in NZ , Hamilton was just a dump but nobody rates it in the first place , not even kiwis , known as " cow town "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

we went to the beach closest to the city in valencia , filthiest beach ive ever been on , not safe to walk on the sand in bare feet

the service in restaraunts and cafes was consistently poor for the entire week , no foreigners visiting means less ability to speak english

the flamingo dancing show was fantastic however

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

what did she hate about Paris? Parisians can be a bit gruff but but you get that in cities with a lot of tourism, the locals just get tired of tourists everywhere walking slowly and getting in their way. Then they try talking english to a local and it doesnt go down well, hence the Parisian reputation for being gruff.

But Paris itself is a stunning city, it really has to rank as the most beautiful city in the world. If you sat down to create a new city with an unlimited budget it still wouldnt turn out as beautiful as Paris.

I've found the locals everywhere in France not just Paris a bit unwelcoming towards tourists. I get the feeling that compared to places like Spain and Italy the country doesn't really see tourism as a priority and it is only seen only a side industry.

Whereas in Italy and Spain they'd be very welcoming towards tourists in order to get as much money they possibly can.

• Advertisement

I also quite like Valencia, the river bed is great, and the old town is quite nice. For a Spanish city though it's pretty quiet at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Covid21 wrote: »
    And the great ocean road is the most overrated drives in the world.

Honestly I haven't done the Great ocean road, but the fact you call it overrated means clearly some people rate it. Though don't think it leads anywhere interesting anyway? Would rather drive up the east coast as there is a lot more to see and do, hell of a drive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

GT89 wrote: »
    I've found the locals everywhere in France not just Paris a bit unwelcoming towards tourists. I get the feeling that compared to places like Spain and Italy the country doesn't really see tourism as a priority and it is only seen only a side industry.

Whereas in Italy and Spain they'd be very welcoming towards tourists in order to get as much money they possibly can.

While I found Paris snooty.... I find the countryside to be extremely friendly, especially Brittany. I have had some fantastic nights in the middle of no where talking to locals in bars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jackben75 wrote: »
    Eindhoven, Prague, Hannover, Louth

Louth isn’t a city.

Eindhoven is very far from boring.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Courtown in wexford, horrendous place. No amount of alcohol can help make this place good.

with you on Courtown.. spent a week there on holidays as a kid.. I rem us all saying to Dad the following year that we didn't wanna go back there again.. zzzz

NSAman wrote: »
    While I found Paris snooty.... I find the countryside to be extremely friendly, especially Brittany. I have had some fantastic nights in the middle of no where talking to locals in bars.

I have never encountered this famous Parisian rudeness and have always found them to be sound on every visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

... an oil rig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Rural NZ is paradise but there isn't one memorable urban area in the entire country

It's like one big farm

I cant tell if you're being serious...

But I strongly disagree, I live in Auckland and its an amazing city

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Courtown in wexford, horrendous place. No amount of alcohol can help make this place good.

In fairness though what were you expecting in Courtown. It's Courtown like.

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    In fairness though what were you expecting in Courtown. It's Courtown like.

It’s not so much boring as it is rough.

Advertisement