Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fremantle was the best place to live.
    Perth is just a small city.

It might have been. I ended up in Lancelin. :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

humberklog wrote: »
    Howth's got a few mentions and I don't get the thinking. Firstly- it's just a suburb, a nice affluent suburd. It's never styled itself like Salthill, Tramore or Bray.

Where it does fit nicely tourist wise though is with city breakers.
    So you come in from an inland EU city and you're staying in Dublin City for a few days you can pop onto a commuter train, see the 'burbs and be out at the sea in 30 minutes for €3(?), then you're in a small operational fishing town, get a bag of fish and chips, or food in the Market and feed the seals, do some walks on the pier or up to Howth Head, you can go out on a boat fishing or to wander around Ireland's Eye, go down the Burrows beach and see Larry Mullins and Phil Lynott's gaffs then pop in and have a pint for under a fiver and some food and watch a match or live music...and all this on a Sunday! Or any day of the week.

It's easy to take these things for granted and for most Irish people we'd know Howth is just suburb with a few bells on but I've often been in European cities and would have appreciated a destination like Howth just to break a long weekend up a bit.

I've a shop in Howth and so I'd be chatting to tourists and visitors and they all love going out there for the day, they get what they expect from a coastal suburban town. That and more.

I love Howth, feels like and is a nice break away from the city and the claustrophobia of the city and suburbs. Loads of great pubs, eateries, walks... i like just heading up to the summit too for 20, parking up, taking in the view..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strumms wrote: »
    Lisbon, i like a lot, but I was there in late October once for work and also started a cruise from there mid April and found it very quiet after about 9pm... I was trying to find a decent pub to watch a match and even that was tough.

Pubs showing sports doesn't seem to be that big a thing in Europe outside Ireland. Even most London pubs are not bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It might have been. I ended up in Lancelin. :0

Bypassed it for Geraldton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm always curious about drug problem in the states. There's countless documentaries on youtube about heroin/opiate/crack/meth problem in Fresno/Ohio/Cape Cod/Albuquerque etc.
    It seems so widespread and pervasive.
    Is it due to lack of social safety or inequality?
    Here in Ireland drug addiction correlates strongly with poverty/deprivation/abusive background.
    In the states it seems to affect middle class people.

Plenty of substance abuse among the middle classes in Ireland. They're not sticking a needle in their arm but they're fond of sticking stuff up their noses, alcohol abuse, codeine and painkillers. Addiction permeates every class and Ireland is no different.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Pubs showing sports doesn't seem to be that big a thing in Europe outside Ireland. Even most London pubs are not bothered

True, but it’s on the rise.. you even see in France, Paris in particular , the locals now hitting Irish bars to see PSG games.. Corcorans in St. Micheal is like an unofficial fan base, used be only United and Liverpool fans. Not a great fan of the london pub scene, bit weird there.

True, but it’s on the rise.. you even see in France, Paris in particular , the locals now hitting Irish bars to see PSG games.. Corcorans in St. Micheal is like an unofficial fan base, used be only United and Liverpool fans. Not a great fan of the london pub scene, bit weird there.

After 10 years there are only a few pubs in London that I am mad to get back to and most of them while not being irish pubs are run by Irish landlords. Decor, lighting and ambiance are all better understood by the Irish compared to the English.

It's the restaurants I miss. You would be hard pressed to find a country in the world not represented with a restaurant in London

After 10 years there are only a few pubs in London that I am mad to get back to and most of them while not being irish pubs are run by Irish landlords. Decor, lighting and ambiance are all better understood by the Irish compared to the English.

It's the restaurants I miss. You would be hard pressed to find a country in the world not represented with a restaurant in London

I find the chain pubs there boring, Weatherspoons, Yates etc....

Always liked the Ten Bells in Spitalfields and the Hawley Arms in Camden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i found loads to do in prague - decent football team, great zoo. modern art musuem, cheap beer and food. nice walk by the river and the park.

Yeah Prague is great. The place we stopped I’d call the Tuam of Czechia

• Advertisement

I find the chain pubs there boring, Weatherspoons, Yates etc....

Always liked the Ten Bells in Spitalfields and the Hawley Arms in Camden.

Ten Bells is nice when its quiet but Spitalfields gets too busy for my liking.

The Nell Gwynne by Charing Cross was my favorite straight up pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Howth's got a few mentions and I don't get the thinking. Firstly- it's just a suburb, a nice affluent suburd. It's never styled itself like Salthill, Tramore or Bray.

Where it does fit nicely tourist wise though is with city breakers.
    So you come in from an inland EU city and you're staying in Dublin City for a few days you can pop onto a commuter train, see the 'burbs and be out at the sea in 30 minutes for €3(?), then you're in a small operational fishing town, get a bag of fish and chips, or food in the Market and feed the seals, do some walks on the pier or up to Howth Head, you can go out on a boat fishing or to wander around Ireland's Eye, go down the Burrows beach and see Larry Mullins and Phil Lynott's gaffs then pop in and have a pint for under a fiver and some food and watch a match or live music...and all this on a Sunday! Or any day of the week.

It's easy to take these things for granted and for most Irish people we'd know Howth is just suburb with a few bells on but I've often been in European cities and would have appreciated a destination like Howth just to break a long weekend up a bit.

I've a shop in Howth and so I'd be chatting to tourists and visitors and they all love going out there for the day, they get what they expect from a coastal suburban town. That and more.

The walks around Howth are certainly lovely and are probably the most beautiful coastal walks close to Dublin. However my main complaint about Howth is the village itself which seems to be quite dirty and has a bit of a rundown look to it a lot of the cafes and restaurants in the village look unappealing the main food options seem to be only fish and chips.

I think places on the Southside like Dun Laoghaire, Glasthule and Dalkey have made a better effort in making their areas appealing to tourists. But it has been a couple of years since I was last in Howth so it may have changed.

• Howths lovely. Pleasantly surprised to find a castle there the weekend.

Howths lovely. Pleasantly surprised to find a castle there the weekend.

Ide take all the "intimidating" people that some here are scared of around Europe over the crowd from Howth. Good scenery or not leafy suburbs and enclaves are usually very boring

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

GT89 wrote: »
    The walks around Howth are certainly lovely and are probably the most beautiful coastal walks close to Dublin. However my main complaint about Howth is the village itself which seems to be quite dirty and has a bit of a rundown look to it a lot of the cafes and restaurants in the village look unappealing the main food options seem to be only fish and chips.

I think places on the Southside like Dun Laoghaire, Glasthule and Dalkey have made a better effort in making their areas appealing to tourists. But it has been a couple of years since I was last in Howth so it may have changed.

There's nine separate restaurants on the West Pier alone with indoor/outdoor seating and whilst a lot a fish based (but not exclusively) their not chippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There's nine separate restaurants on the West Pier alone with indoor/outdoor seating and whilst a lot a fish based (but not exclusively) their not chippers.

Most of the options are variations on fish and chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I found these a bit run down too.

Most of the options are variations on fish and chips

To paraphrase Blues Brothers: We have two types of food around here........fish.......and chips.

Ide take all the "intimidating" people that some here are scared of around Europe over the crowd from Howth. Good scenery or not leafy suburbs and enclaves are usually very boring

The people that hang around train stations in Paris are a different kettle of fish from your Howth poshos.

The people that hang around train stations in Paris are a different kettle of fish from your Howth poshos.

Its a few lads and ya it's intimidating but once you are past them the areas are fine.

Howth on the other hand there is no escaping them and there are definitely a few thieves and robbers in Howth they just dont hang round stations

saabsaab wrote: »

I was more talking about the seafront part of Dun Laoghaire the town centre is quite rundown but completely different to Howth. Dalkey Village is probably more comparable to Howth Village and I would say is less rundown.

• Advertisement

Yeah true but nearly all the food options seem to be some kind of fancy evening restaurants or fish and chips not much in the middle. For example I thought Howth lacked any decent coffee places when I was there. A lot of the places looked like kind of tourist traps.

I think the rough element in Howth more come in from the likes of Darndale, Kilbarrack and Donaghmede. I know the Dart has had it's fair share of anti social behaviour in these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bypassed it for Geraldton.

Good for you. Lancelin was the heroin capital of WA.

It was a crayfish town so they used to bring in all sorts as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

saabsaab wrote: »

Dalkey is nice without being overly manicured , Dun Loaghaire on the other hand, nothing that a tactical nuke couldnt sort

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ten Bells is nice when its quiet but Spitalfields gets too busy for my liking.

The Nell Gwynne by Charing Cross was my favorite straight up pub

Found that too about the Ten Bells, barely enough room to hold your pint after 5.30 pm say..A favorite for post work pints. liked it for an after shopping pint in the afternoon, really good staff and the place has character. A unique establishment....

silverharp wrote: »
    Dalkey is nice without being overly manicured , Dun Loaghaire on the other hand, nothing that a tactical nuke couldnt sort

Dun Laoghaire seafront is lovely the council have put a lot of money into it. The rest of the town has it's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I thought Howth lacked any decent coffee places when I was there. A lot of the places looked like kind of tourist traps.

I quite like The Dog House though. It's a place you can just relax with a cappuccino, a slice of cake and a good book for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Grand so. Il be back again after your next 100 posts complaining about the place to ask why you have such an odd obsession with it and where you come from yourself

Looks like he's from Athlone.

Imagine being from Athlone and ragging on Galway about anything.

Was unfortunate enough to have to spend some time in Athlone through work a couple of years ago. Boring as fook. And a typical garrison town as it's very rough in large parts with a big scumbag element.

All in all a bit of a shíthole tbh. Would not visit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Found that too about the Ten Bells, barely enough room to hold your pint after 5.30 pm say..A favorite for post work pints. liked it for an after shopping pint in the afternoon, really good staff and the place has character. A unique establishment....

i found on average the pubs in london to be much nicer that ireland. in ireland alot of pubs are kips as the landlord doesnt make an effort as he knows he will get the business anyway.

in london, they spend more money decking them out to be more comfortable. the food is usually better and the london pubs usually stock the local brewary beer. though irish pubs have gotten better with selection.

the sam smyths pubs in england are great but the wetherspoons are awful with their flashing slot machines and i always feel such sympathy for the down and out alcoholics that can be seen in wetherspoons during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bodega does great coffee in Howth. Worth a try next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,187 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How is Howth even mentioned here it’s an awesome place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭cgcsb

CALGARY!!

I literally forgot I was even there on a short trip (don't ask) till this moment. Most of urban Canada is quite dull anyway, as a country it's mostly about the scenery, but Calgary is a real biscuit taker. There is no reason for this place to exist. That being said people there talked about Edmonton being worse, I never ventured.

i found on average the pubs in london to be much nicer that ireland. in ireland alot of pubs are kips as the landlord doesnt make an effort as he knows he will get the business anyway.

in london, they spend more money decking them out to be more comfortable. the food is usually better and the london pubs usually stock the local brewary beer. though irish pubs have gotten better with selection.

the sam smyths pubs in england are great but the wetherspoons are awful with their flashing slot machines and i always feel such sympathy for the down and out alcoholics that can be seen in wetherspoons during the day.

This is because the breweries often own the pubs in London rather than being independent. Ya they are better kept but the problem is they are all the same. Every Nicholsons will have the same black decor same beer and same menu and same for Youngs, Fullers etc.100s of identical pubs.
    Sam Smiths were the only chain I made an exception for cause I loved the wheat beer and the prices

cgcsb wrote: »
    CALGARY!!

I literally forgot I was even there on a short trip (don't ask) till this moment. Most of urban Canada is quite dull anyway, as a country it's mostly about the scenery, but Calgary is a real biscuit taker. There is no reason for this place to exist. That being said people there talked about Edmonton being worse, I never ventured.

I worked with a Canadian chap in Dublin and he kept pointing out how crap things are here but he failed to notice because everything is perfect where he comes from it ****1NG BORING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

This is because the breweries often own the pubs in London rather than being independent. Ya they are better kept but the problem is they are all the same. Every Nicholsons will have the same black decor same beer and same menu and same for Youngs, Fullers etc.100s of identical pubs.
    Sam Smiths were the only chain I made an exception for cause I loved the wheat beer and the prices

Every Irish pub has the same beer.

Every Irish pub has the same beer.

Ya it's something I really hate about rocking up somewhere new in Ireland to find the same 4 beers as every other pub. Thankfully it is changing in some parts of the country at least

blackwhite wrote: »
    Port Talbot in Wales - horrendously run down. Stayed a night there on the way to Cardiff for a rugby match. The town is basically a dormitory for the massive steel plant.
    Nothing in it except a grotty 1980s shopping centre, dodgy greasy spoon cafes, the grimmest beach in Wales and it's one saving grace - the train station to get you the hell out of there. Hotel breakfast looked like a poor offering, so thought we'd get something in the town. Didn't take long to realise that Greggs was the best option.

Port Talbot makes Holyhead look like Cannes

It’s dire, but a remarkable number of successful people came from Port Talbot for some reason.

It’s dire, but a remarkable number of successful people came from Port Talbot for some reason.

Sign of a **** town when you go down the whole “well at least ya know what your gettin in burger king “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Howths lovely. Pleasantly surprised to find a castle there the weekend.

The castle is there everyday.

Sorry I just couldn't resist. :o

Was unfortunate enough to have to spend some time in Athlone through work a couple of years ago. Boring as fook. And a typical garrison town as it's very rough in large parts with a big scumbag element.

As Galway people used to say back in the day.
    "What's the best thing about Athlone ?

THE BYPASS !"
    cgcsb wrote: »
    CALGARY!!

Galgary has fantastic military museum for anyone that is interested in militaria.

Galgary is the centre of Canada's oil and gas industry.
    Alberta I think is Canada's richest province.
    You will often find oil and gas platforms dotted all over the place.
    Before that it was all about cattle.

It is interesting if you look it up, it ranks very highly as one of the most livable cities in North America.

Have to say the drive from Galgary towards Canmore and onto Banff is absolutely brilliant as the hills are getting bigger and the mighty Rockies are looming on the horizon.

PS Edmonton's claim to fame was it having the biggest shopping centre with a wave pool.
    I think some Gulf state took that away from them?

I am not allowed discuss …

How do you get 50 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

Say excuse me guys can you get out of the pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

Ya it's something I really hate about rocking up somewhere new in Ireland to find the same 4 beers as every other pub. Thankfully it is changing in some parts of the country at least

Some people find it reassuring to get their usual beer that they enjoy, despite being somewhere new.
    Most pubs will have a choice of bottles if there's nothing exciting on tap.

Lofidelity wrote: »
    Some people find it reassuring to get their usual beer that they enjoy, despite being somewhere new.
    Most pubs will have a choice of bottles if there's nothing exciting on tap.

The key is to have the usuals and some extras too. It's not that hard to do and very easy when you factor in bottles as you say

Howth is a less rundown than Dun Laoghaire, which is pleasant enough. Dalkey is fine but a bit too rich you know. Like something from the Hamptons. Any small village with art galleries is over gentrified.

Howths an actual working fishing village too so it does have an edge, it feels real. It’s not just an affluent suburb. I was in a pub there when a group of rough looking Dutch (I think) fishermen broke into sea shanties. The real criticism of Howth is over tourism, and traffic. Can be blocked on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Gelsenkirchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The real criticism of Howth is over tourism, and traffic. Can be blocked on weekends.

Thats Howths main problem, its become a victim of its own success and there can be long traffic jams to get in to it on weekends. Also a lot of people seem to think the village itself is a dead end, they dont know you can drive up the summit and back down the Sutton side.

The Cliff walk there there though is fantastic, especially the full 12km loop that goes past the Bailey lighthouse then back up the hill through the golf course and back down to Howth village again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Haha classic. The most interesting thing to happen in Athlone was that traveller couple video years ago with the woman screaming "why do you keep riding Hippo's"

Howth's being mentioned now? Christ above. What other nice seaside towns/villages are yet to get a mention? Skerries or Dingle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

First time in Manchester I hated it and found it beyond unfriendly.
    Returned a few years later with the Mrs visiting friends and loved it. Cities can be funny like that.

Its' defo a city that you need to know where you are going as some parts are really grim and some are fantastic. Lived there for two years, absolutely loved it and the people were far sounder than Irish people!

Several people have said San Diego and Sofia which I agree with. Stockholm wouldn't be a favourite of mine either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭cgcsb

jmayo wrote: »
    Galgary has fantastic military museum for anyone that is interested in militaria.

doesn't surprise me.
    It is interesting if you look it up, it ranks very highly as one of the most livable cities in North America.

I mean yeah if livability = wages - cost of living. Don't see what you'd spend money on tbh.
    Have to say the drive from Galgary towards Canmore and onto Banff is absolutely brilliant as the hills are getting bigger and the mighty Rockies are looming on the horizon.

The scenery in western Canada is stunning.
    PS Edmonton's claim to fame was it having the biggest shopping centre with a wave pool.
    Also unsurprising.

Is Galgary an alternative to Calgary?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats Howths main problem, its become a victim of its own success and there can be long traffic jams to get in to it on weekends. Also a lot of people seem to think the village itself is a dead end, they dont know you can drive up the summit and back down the Sutton side.

The Cliff walk there there though is fantastic, especially the full 12km loop that goes past the Bailey lighthouse then back up the hill through the golf course and back down to Howth village again.

If I was doing it I would generally do the loop walk and then head back towards Sutton to catch the Dart instead of Howth itself

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

On the opposite end to the question asked in the thread Kananaskis Country is one of the more interesting places I've been to. I lived in a cabin next to a lake in the Rockies for a few months with no tv or phone coverage. All we had to do was to go camping and hiking. It was never boring with scenery like that.

We would head into Calgary the odd weekend. Calgary is ok, I thought it lively enough. I didn't much like Edmonton.

• Advertisement
Advertisement