Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

steamsey wrote: »
    Philippines - worst food and drink I've seen in a country. Had a terrible time. No craic. Manila was ****e, islands can be jammed with tourists during day but still no nightlife.

Spot on

Also Zurich. Everywhere expensive, zero craic. Been few times and thankfully brother lives there so knows where to actually go some "decent" pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Places like Medellín and Cartagena are certainly more attractive for tourists, for multiple reasons. A lot of Bogota´s historic buildings were destroyed in the April 1948 uprising after the assasination of Gaitan, so much of the centre really isn't so pleasant to look at.

However, given their fondness for fascism, I'll never quite warm to people in Medellín or Antioquia more broadly.

Medellin is some spot. Beautiful and tropical. The people are so friendly . I was wondering why I got on so well with everyone..iv been told I'm a fascist many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is Galgary an alternative to Calgary?

Good lad/lass.
    You win a star.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In Ireland? Tralee.. closely followed by Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It’s dire, but a remarkable number of successful people came from Port Talbot for some reason.

Serious motivation to get the hell out of there I'd say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭thomil

Spot on

Also Zurich. Everywhere expensive, zero craic. Been few times and thankfully brother lives there so knows where to actually go some "decent" pints

Ah yes, Zurich. Twice as large as Vienna's central cemetery but only half as exciting...

For me personally, it would have to be Klagenfurt in Austria. Granted, I was there to get assessed for conscription, but there's nothing remarkable about that city that you wouldn't find in any Austrian county town a quarter of Klagenfurt's size. The airport was the most memorable thing about that place!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How do you get 50 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

Say excuse me guys can you get out of the pool

You forgot to say Please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

saabsaab wrote: »

That's for when you are up against a hundred Canadians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I had a half Irish players and half Canadian game of Cards Against Humanity once. They were useless just kept using soft celebrity jokes and were appalled by us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone who thinks Berlin is boring hasn’t done their research. Such a vibrant and exciting city for people of all ages. Germans tend to be dead sound as well. And the kebabs are class.

Anywhere with a Ramones museum gets my vote.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I had a half Irish players and half Canadian game of Cards Against Humanity once. They were useless just kept using soft celebrity jokes and we're appalled by us

Did you mean were? You should use a spelling checker, or go back to skewl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Robbed that from Canadian musical genius Devon Townsend , a man that entertained a crowd for 30 mins on his own during a technical issue no bother to him :)

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Did you mean were? You should use a spelling checker, or go back to skewl.

Don't know why my phone made that auto correct

jmayo wrote: »
    Good lad/lass.
    You win a star.

Canadians are a right laugh, altogether.

Are you going to do that with all cities? Garis is overrated but Gome is ok. Gondon has it charms.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Serious motivation to get the hell out of there I'd say :D

Michael Sheen is still living there. Something else is going on with Port Talbot. I'll get to the bottom of this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Macroom

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Macroom

Never raised a fool!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Never raised a fool!

Had to google that "never reared a fool"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Singabore

Went there for work many, many times. Hugely underrated in my opinion. It doesn't have many historic sites and beer is expensive but other than that it's great. It has an unbelievable and surprisingly cheap food scene, pool weather year round, very active nightlife and plenty of tourist activities like gardens by the bay and sentosa. I wouldn't be travelling there specifically for a holiday but it's fun for a stopover or a business trip and is a million times more interesting than big cities in Switzerland and Scandinavia with a similar reputation.

In Ireland I found Dundalk pretty dull. In Europe I didn't enjoy Cologne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

cgcsb wrote: »
    doesn't surprise me.

I mean yeah if livability = wages - cost of living. Don't see what you'd spend money on tbh.

The scenery in western Canada is stunning.

Also unsurprising.

Spent my early childhood in Edmonton and my dad has the freedom to the city of Calgary.

So quit yer Jibber jabba. They are very exciting places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Are you going to do that with all cities? Garis is overrated but Gome is ok. Gondon has it charms.

I know a few Canadians including being very good friends with one. Very similar to the Irish, well our positive virtues anyway. They have the best sense of humor..don’t rush to take offense to silly stuff and are super fun on a night out...

On a less positive note, I was taken to Lourdes as a 5 year old, jaysus...

Strumms wrote: »
    I know a few Canadians including being very good friends with one. Very similar to the Irish, well our positive virtues anyway. They have the best sense of humor..don’t rush to take offense to silly stuff and are super fun on a night out...

On a less positive note, I was taken to Lourdes as a 5 year old, jaysus...

Canadian song of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh ?

The joke works better with a “please”

The joke works better with a “please”

Canadian Rap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

• Advertisement

Ah well, alright, then.

Canadians er prolly the finest people on the face of the earth, bar none, eh?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

God no, canadians are the dullest people ive ever met. Nearly forgot i spent 3 years living in Canada, nothing happened there. Toronto had its moments, the smaller cities though, pure gick. Spent a month in Hamilton one weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

road_high wrote: »
    Try it’s neighbour- Derby!

Derby is anything BUT boring. I've never seen such an array of people who look like they have genetic disorders or evolutionary aberrations. They all look "unfinished".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

Derby is anything BUT boring. I've never seen such an array of people who look like they have genetic disorders or evolutionary aberrations. They all look "unfinished".

Utter kip full of inbreds, when I was young I picked Derby County as 'my' football team...of all the teams to choose..
    People said to stay in Nottingham, didn't think much of that either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Croke Park. Oversized with an atmosphere of a wake if not at least 40K there.

• Advertisement

Swaine wrote: »
    Croke Park. Oversized with an atmosphere of a wake if not at least 40K there.

40k is less than half capacity. You could say that about any stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Sacramento. Like something from a Stephen King novel after about 5 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Copenhagen

Irish cities? Waterford!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It is a completely oversized stadium. No way GAA needs an 82k capacity stadium when only about 3 games every season sell out, 50-60k would be more than adequate and would create a better atmosphere for most games. It's like some of the massively oversized grounds in Italy minus the ultras.

GT89 wrote: »
    No way GAA needs an 82k capacity stadium when only about 3 games every season sell out

You obviously aren't from a county that reaches the AI Final on a regular basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You obviously aren't from a county that reaches the AI Final on a regular basis.

Lol I'm from Dublin but still think it's massively oversized not many true GAA supporters only ever seems to be a demand for tickets for the final.

There's two All Ireland finals a year and it's the only two times they can actually fill it.

Way oversized.

Not true.

The smaller the stadium, the easier it is to create atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

4Ad wrote: »
    Utter kip full of inbreds, when I was young I picked Derby County as 'my' football team...of all the teams to choose..
    People said to stay in Nottingham, didn't think much of that either...

You want to see the end result of generations of rampant inbreeding, go to any of the towns in the north-east (Middlesborough, Hull, Sunderland). Derby is positively cosmopoliton in comparison.

Spent a winter in Calgary a few years back. It's often voted amongst the best cities in the world in which to live. I get why in some ways.

Canadians are very sound in general. They talk like yanks, but have the innate decency of the middle-class Englander. Extremely polite, but find it difficult to make a decision, which normally resulted in lots of meetings and working very late implementing decisions that should have been decided over breakfast.

It's viciously cold during the winter. So cold that they built a system called the Plus-15s to deal with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2B15

It results in there being no life at all at street level.

• Advertisement

Swaine wrote: »
    There's two All Ireland finals a year and it's the only two times they can actually fill it.

Way oversized.

I'd say it fills a lot more times each year than Wembley.

How many matches are played there each year? The FA cup and the odd international home leg?

Newark, NJ is a fairly boring and equally awful place.

Duff wrote: »
    Sacramento. Like something from a Stephen King novel after about 5 pm.

Most US state capitals are like that. Either soulless cookie-cutter borefests of ghettos like Albany.

Check out some of the "gems" on Long Island as well. Hicksville, Wantagh, Uniondale, Bethpage, Wyandanch, Islip. Nothing but strip malls, sports bars, gas stations, used tyre yards, and 7-11s all linked together by parkways. The only thing differentiating any of them is the name of the bloody town emblazoned on the water-tower.

I've been to Berlin on 2 occasions and while I understand its history and reputation as a sort of alternative cabaret/bohemian/sexually deviant mecca, I just found it dull, forebody and just way too big and spread out. They say the best cities in the world are the ones you can explore on foot. Berlin is not one of them. London is huge and you certainly need to use public transport to get around it but it's an exciting place. The diversity, the markets, the pubs and restaurants and greasy spoons. The lovely women. To me at least it's heaven. Berlin is just this granite behemoth. You could go into some place for a beer and then if you wanted another beer in another place you'd have to walk half a kilometre to get to another venue. So yeah, a bit boring.

Newark, NJ is a fairly boring and equally awful place.

That's most of New Jersey to be fair. Newark, Trenton, Edison, Paterson.

Try Paramus. The whole place is just one big shopping mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Copenhagen

Irish cities? Waterford!

How could you not find something to do in Waterford? A city steeped in history. Plenty of museums, pubs, walks/cycles to choose from in the city. Choice of multiple beaches 15/20 minutes outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mackcracknsack

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ireland : Salthill

Europe : Stockholm

UK : Norwich

America : Buffalo

Australia : Perth

Asia : Osaka

Ha, buffalo is a shocker. Nothing to do expect eat a chicken wing or two. Other than that, forget about it!!!

Stoke in Trent is also a hell hole, as mentioned earlier 😬

Ha, buffalo is a shocker. Nothing to do expect eat a chicken wing or two. Other than that, forget about it!!!

Stoke in Trent is also a hell hole, as mentioned earlier ��

ALL of upstate New York is appalling. Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse.

It's Genesee beer, Ponderosa steakhouse and the state fair.

ALL of upstate New York is appalling. Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse.

It's Genesee beer, Ponderosa steakhouse and the state fair.

Yeah, Upper NY state is rougher, more damaged by deindustrialization than Vermont, which has a sweetness to it that stands out. So much innovation happened in those cities and towns in the nineteenth century, the Erie and other canal systems, for instance. It's sad to see some of the small cities downtowns deserted for shopping malls and spreading suburbs. Syracuse and similar sized towns are super sketchy.

Spent a winter in Calgary a few years back. It's often voted amongst the best cities in the world in which to live. I get why in some ways.

Canadians are very sound in general. They talk like yanks, but have the innate decency of the middle-class Englander. Extremely polite, but find it difficult to make a decision, which normally resulted in lots of meetings and working very late implementing decisions that should have been decided over breakfast.

It's viciously cold during the winter. So cold that they built a system called the Plus-15s to deal with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2B15

It results in there being no life at all at street level.

Montreal and Toronto have it all underground. There are kilometers of subterranean levels with access to subway trains, shopping, offices, hotels, condos, etc...

The underground features have not taken away from the street level activity as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Montreal and Toronto have it all underground. There are kilometers of subterranean levels with access to subway trains, shopping, offices, hotels, condos, etc...

The underground features have not taken away from the street level activity as far as I know.

The Toronto one isnt as exciting as it sounds. It just links the basement level of some shopping centres to subway stations. You still have to go above ground for most things

Advertisement