Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Derby is anything BUT boring. I've never seen such an array of people who look like they have genetic disorders or evolutionary aberrations. They all look "unfinished".

funnily enough there's also a town in western australia called Derby, which matches the same description

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Medellin is some spot. Beautiful and tropical. The people are so friendly . I was wondering why I got on so well with everyone..iv been told I'm a fascist many times.

Friendly unless you're a member of a trade union, in which case you'll end up in a mass grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone ever been to Slough in the UK. The opening credits of The Office paint it as a boring grey town

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Airton Road in Tallaght is pretty forgettable, to be perfectly honest.

Another one would be Ballymount Road. As light industrial estate roads go, its up there with the worst of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone ever been to Slough in the UK. The opening credits of The Office paint it as a boring grey town

Even the name is incredibly uninspiring

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Most grim places I have visited:

1 - Ballinasloe (it's as grim as grim can get)

2 - OldCastle

3 - Longwood

4 - Every Irish midlands small town and village, however Tullamore and Athlone are decent.

5 - Most of Northern Ireland

6 - Barrow In Furness (UK)

7 - A special mention to the spanish border town of La Linea, next to Gibraltar. You have to pass through this town to get into Gibraltar, this spanish town is very grim indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ciudad Real in Spain pretty dull. You get openly stared at if you're not a local.

On the plus side, nearly all the men are five foot nothing so I felt like a giant for a week and I'm not tall. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In my last job we had a UK office based there.

The actual town centre itself is just the bog-standard English high street.

The bits shown on the Office credits are the massive industrial estate that the town grew from. It was all those horrendous 1940s-60s industrial buildings for miles and miles, but recently there's been regeneration and newer buildings brightening it up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Swaine wrote: »
    Croke Park. Oversized with an atmosphere of a wake if not at least 40K there.

Lost it's soul the day they let the English in, Shameful to all those who attended that match.

bullpost wrote: »
    Ciudad Real in Spain pretty dull. You get openly stared at if you're not a local.

On the plus side, nearly all the men are five foot nothing so I felt like a giant for a week and I'm not tall. :D

It really has very little of note in terms of natural beauty or landmarks. It does though have a decent little rock bar called El Perro that you might like as it plays a lot of Ramones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

stoneill wrote: »
    Knock.

Definitely a place to bring your own tea and sandwiches if visiting the shrine. I am not over religious, but I have to say the basilica etc is beautiful, but outside those gates, the village is awful.

Lost it's soul the day they let the English in, Shameful to all those who attended that match.

That London hurling team have a lot to answer for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It really has very little of note in terms of natural beauty or landmarks. It does though have a decent little rock bar called El Perro that you might like as it plays a lot of Ramones

Ah missed that one. Mostly in the overpriced Irish bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How could you not find something to do in Waterford? A city steeped in history. Plenty of museums, pubs, walks/cycles to choose from in the city. Choice of multiple beaches 15/20 minutes outside the city.

Username checks out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No it didn’t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Re: Slough
    Even the name is incredibly uninspiring

Lol.

Like a dreary amalgam of Slow and Sloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Re: Slough

Lol.

Like a dreary amalgam of Slow and Sloth.

'Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now,'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Aurelian

bullpost wrote: »

I've always wanted to go there because of the name, makes it sound historic even if its not. Its rare to see a Spanish city with nothing to offer but Ciudad Real seems to be that city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I cannot say it was boring but I was dissatisfied with Venice . Not because it is boring but because they allow far too many people in at a time that its impossible to see it as anything but a crowded , hot , smelly city .
    They cruise ships spill out thousands of tourists and busses arrive in hundreds
    Its so crowded that you can only see heads and feet and try and stay upright
    I was very disappointed with it I

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Gonzo wrote: »
    Most grim places I have visited:

1 - Ballinasloe (it's as grim as grim can get)

2 - OldCastle

3 - Longwood

4 - Every Irish midlands small town and village, however Tullamore and Athlone are decent.

5 - Most of Northern Ireland

6 - Barrow In Furness (UK)

7 - A special mention to the spanish border town of La Linea, next to Gibraltar. You have to pass through this town to get into Gibraltar, this spanish town is very grim indeed.

Tullamore is terribel

Aurelian wrote: »
    I've always wanted to go there because of the name, makes it sound historic even if its not. Its rare to see a Spanish city with nothing to offer but Ciudad Real seems to be that city.

Cervantes was from there and they really let you know it. Everything is named after Don Quixote, Sancho or one of the donkeys. La Mancha does have great red wine though and I always look for it in offies

It has a high speed train to Madrid and an insane waste of money airport that never opened and is for sale if your looking for one. It's worth reading up on it's called you guessed it Don Quixote airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I cannot say it was boring but I was dissatisfied with Venice . Not because it is boring but because they allow far too many people in at a time that its impossible to see it as anything but a crowded , hot , smelly city .
    They cruise ships spill out thousands of tourists and busses arrive in hundreds
    Its so crowded that you can only see heads and feet and try and stay upright
    I was very disappointed with it I

I was in Venice 40 years ago. I was lucky enough to tour Europe, including Ireland for the first time back in '81, and the best time, for visiting Venice, in winter. There were hardly any tourists at that time of year, and it was foggy and very soft, like an old black and white movie screen.

I can imagine how lot of contemporary characters jaunting about Venice kill the magical part of the visit. Wintertime was best, especially for a trusty Canuck like me, used to freez-o-rama conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

I was going to plump for Newry, but then pretty-much all towns in NI outside Belfast have very little to offer - then I remembered Athenry . . . 12 noon of a weekday the place was completely deserted, the only sign of life was a couple of punters in the SPAR.

Holyhead......its grim. I mean, Mordor grim.......entire town is various shades of grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I was in Venice 40 years ago. I was lucky enough to tour Europe, including Ireland for the first time back in '81, and the best time, for visiting Venice, in winter. There were hardly any tourists at that time of year, and it was foggy and very soft, like an old black and white movie screen.

I can imagine how lot of contemporary characters jaunting about Venice kill the magical part of the visit. Wintertime was best, especially for a trusty Canuck like me, used to freez-o-rama conditions.

On street parking is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Ballinasloe ‘tis no place to go.
    Strokestown it’s pretty bad.
    Naas they say is quite a place,
    But Fock me.....Kinnegad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Holyhead......its grim. I mean, Mordor grim.......entire town is various shades of grey.

The night I was stuck there with my ferry cancelled , I went out looking for a pub to catch the second half of a match, the only thing I caught was a supermarket before closing and four cans. Pubs didn’t appear too welcoming. Travelodge and 4 cans of Grolsch. No restaurant, no bar, only a vending machine.

• Advertisement

• Strumms wrote: »
    The night I was stuck there with my ferry cancelled , I went out looking for a pub to catch the second half of a match, the only thing I caught was a supermarket before closing and four cans. Pubs didn’t appear too welcoming. Travelodge and 4 cans of Grolsch. No restaurant, no bar, only a vending machine.

I often wonder why Holyhead has never capitalised on the potential goldmine that is Irish Stag and hen parties or booze cruize parties in general. With a bit of foresight they could have developed it into something.

Its an absolute dump of a place. Must be one of the roughest spots in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I often wonder why Holyhead has never capitalised on the potential goldmine that is Irish Stag and hen parties or booze cruize parties in general. With a bit of foresight they could have developed it into something.

It’s rough and there seems like there is, well there actually is SFA to do there..

On the top 26645 things to do there on TripAdvisor I couldn’t pick one.

Pubs and restaurants are crap, in general I found...hospitality better, more choices it could be a getaway but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now,'

You're the only cabbage around 'ere :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Strumms wrote: »

Got stuck there also, twas grand at first as we were drunk, once the drink wore off and we got colder it got more ****e.

We actually had a nice day all day supping our way East Midlands to Holyhead but between ****e bars and very early closing time on a Sunday night it deteriorated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cervantes was from there and they really let you know it. Everything is named after Don Quixote, Sancho or one of the donkeys. La Mancha does have great red wine though and I always look for it in offies

It has a high speed train to Madrid and an insane waste of money airport that never opened and is for sale if your looking for one. It's worth reading up on it's called you guessed it Don Quixote airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Friendly unless you're a member of a trade union, in which case you'll end up in a mass grave.

We could do with that to unions in Ireland.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Swaine wrote: »
    There's two All Ireland finals a year and it's the only two times they can actually fill it.

Way oversized.

Wouldn't be oversized if they'd built it somewhere that didn't object every time an event was planned, too many guards interfering with the locals drug dealing and prostitution,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Hungarians can be thick enough in their manner as well.

Worked with Hungarians in Ardara, sound people

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Strumms wrote: »

My favourite Hollyhead story was from a friend of mine from the west of Ireland. He was working with a fellow county man that was also an absolute headcase in London and offered to drive him home for the Christmas.

Needless to say, they missed the ferry and had to stay in Hollyhead for the night and went to a local pub. At the bar they noticed a big group of locals across the bar who were sneering and laughing in their direction. My friend tried to ignore them but his nutter friend went up to the group and asked them all out for a fight.

They all backed down immediately and no more sneering endured. Could have easily gone the other way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Yes, I was genuinely excited to see the entrance to the Slough Trading Estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Piollaire wrote: »
    Yes, I was genuinely excited to see the entrance to the Slough Trading Estate.

Did you go to Chasers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Tow

Another vote for Hollyhead. The worse time there was during Maggie's Miner Strike. It was desolate with almost every shop boarded up. Only Woollies was open and it did not have much.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Another Holyhead story.

When I was on a school tour in England in the 90's, our bus missed the ferry as seemed to happen to everyone before they built the dual carriageway over there. Had to pass 6 hours in Holyhead until the next one arrived.

Myself and another few lads found a shop called "Bits and Beds" while wandering around the town. It was basically a shop full of beds but the "Bits" were very realistic looking air pistols. The owner had us try them out and was offering us packaging for then to disguise them in case our bags were ever scanned in security. Would have probably bought one but didn't have enough money on me in the end.

Have been Googling the shop but can find no mention of it now unfortunately. Was the highlight of an incredibly dull town for 16 year old me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well in Holyhead defence -

in fairness we can't complain i mean Dublin Port and Rosslare aren't exactly Saint-Tropez either :cool:

fryup wrote: »
    well in fairness we can't complain i mean Dublin Port and Rosslare aren't exactly Saint-Tropez either :cool:

Dublin port is Dublin though. Hollyhead is a town where people live and the whole place is grim not just the port bit

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

And if Holyhead had chased the Irish stag/hen parties and booze cruise crowd,it would get twice the kicking on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Fuerteventura.... I wondered how many people actually due of boredom there..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gorteen wrote: »
    Fuerteventura.... I wondered how many people actually due of boredom there..... :(

I was planning my first cheap sun holiday and a guy I know swore by fuerteventura , nearly had me sold then I realised we were two very different people, he sees “all inclusive “ as “ Jaysus lad free food all day “ Then I heard of a gang of lads that were stuck there got a week bored ****less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I was planning my first cheap sun holiday and a guy I know swore by fuerteventura , nearly had me sold then I realised we were two very different people, he sees “all inclusive “ as “ Jaysus lad free food all day “ Then I heard of a gang of lads that were stuck there got a week bored ****less

I'm easily amused but this fortnight was a real test of my mental health....nothing more than a mind-numbing kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Did you go to Chasers?

Feck, I can't believe I missed that - another great reason to visit Slough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

My Holyhead confession:

Lived in London for a few years back in the ‘90s so I am well familiar with the place.

Stuck there for twelve hours en-route home after Munster finally won the Heineken Cup in May 2006. As we were delayed due to bad weather an official from Stena Line was handing out vouchers to all delayed passengers. You had to show your boarding card to get them. There were six in our car. Driver went up and collected stg £60 in vouchers.

The problem was...they hadn’t “Paddy-Proofed” the system. So, one by one each of us headed up with the same boarding cards and picked up a total of £360 in vouchers. ����������

So, needless to say, we went on the unmerciful batter for the day. Well, all bar the driver. It was like being in the Third World. You couldn’t spend the vouchers. £2 a pint. The place is god awful. So, being inclined to wander we took a taxi to the next town down Y Fali (Valley) and had grub and scoops (All courtesy of the Stena vouchers). We joined a pub quiz with the locals and we won the thing. I think we won a night with a sheep. Madness.

As we settled our bill we presented the Stena vouchers. The Landlord smiled and said....”Stena have been very good to youuuuuuu”

En route back to the Port my mate and I ended up getting picked up by a van of lads from Boyne RFC who had a built in bar in the back of their van who were also headed back to Dublin. The other lads had gone on ahead. We had a few scoops with them in the van, got through security and ended up on the WRONG BOAT. All our mates had gone on ahead of us.

Let’s just say Mrs G wasn’t too happy when I landed home that morning in tatters.

Halcyon days indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement