Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

tommybrees wrote: »
    Anybody been to FIJI?
    Time seems to stand still

Second last leg on a round-the-world trip and while I didn't expect to enjoy being on an island a mile long with electricity for only four hours a day, I actually learned to like the peace and quiet, chatting with the handful of other tourists, playing touch rugby with the locals. But certainly not a place for excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

The Eagles wrote: »
    Dangerous how? Mafia types or 'new Europeans' hanging around?

Its a poor city that always had a lack of jobs so very tiny proportion of "new europeans", the scumbags there are all natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Nightlife is very subjective. Like, you were there one weekend and didn't know where to go + were with boring people so therefore the city is dull. I've had great nights out in mediocre cities and vice versa. At least cultural aspects or activities/scenery are a little more objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I didn't really "get" Amsterdam either.

When weather is nice, great spot to sit out and drink coffee/beer.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great thread!

Rotterdam in the winter is the answer. Misery.

Leeds on a Sunday evening is up there too.

You could say that about anywhere, Liverpool or Rome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mimon wrote: »

That's true, because Rotterdam is anywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

gmisk wrote: »
    Toronto is a fantastic city tonnes to do, good shopping, amazing food, good bars, sound people, baseball, football etc. Literally one of my favourite cities I have been too. Good day trips as well to places like Niagara Falls/Niagara on the lake. I don't think a stopover for a night gives you much of a flavour of a place as big as Toronto.

Totally agree with you on Vienna though.

My missus is from near Toronto, I’ve had plenty of experience of the place. Terrible public transport, jammed with traffic and a frozen hellhole in winter.

I’m too angry to be bored when I’m there though, I’ll give it that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mimon wrote: »

why did you have to remind me that song happened :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Rustyman101

yeah leeds of a Sunday, came back into the city from a gamefair on the outskirts, hit the city bout 7 ,thought there was a bomb scare, place was deserted ! end up in an irish club, like somebody's wedding from the 70s , good craic, advice dont do Sunday's in England or NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Most of the popular cities, and just about all American cities, are bore-fests. Oh look, a Starbucks, gee whiz, a MacDonald's, a Chinese takeaway, an Indian shop, an Irish pub. Wowsers!

For all the proclamations on "diverse places", they sure end up being homogenous, indistinguishable black holes of interest.

Come to think of it, the word "diverse", as in relation to divergence, means a separation of one thing from another. How in the fook it came to mean the complete opposite is quite amazing :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gradius wrote: »
    Most of the popular cities, and just about all American cities, are bore-fests. Oh look, a Starbucks, gee whiz, a MacDonald's, a Chinese takeaway, an Indian shop, an Irish pub. Wowsers!

For all the proclamations on "diverse places", they sure end up being homogenous, indistinguishable black holes of interest.

how-to-party-or-what.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Dav010 wrote: »
    Holyhead, possibly the worst town I have ever been.

I found Boston a bit of a letdown, but I was living in NY at the time so it was pale by comparison.

I was also very disappointed with Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Aurelian

Brian? wrote: »
    My missus is from near Toronto, I’ve had plenty of experience of the place. Terrible public transport, jammed with traffic and a frozen hellhole in winter.

I’m too angry to be bored when I’m there though, I’ll give it that.

This is very subjective! I thought Toronto was a great buzz plenty to see during the day and lots of different neighbourhoods, restaurants etc to visit at night.

Thought just walking around downtown in the evening was a good buzz and no menace!

The Nal wrote: »
    how-to-party-or-what.gif

Yes, I'm sure "partying" to some means going to carbon-copy places. Thrilling.

What is actually interesting is seeing and experiencing how distinct groups of people live differently from you.

Don't party too hard in Starbucks in who-gives-a-fook now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Das Reich wrote: »
    Cairo. It have the traffic and the grey air very polluted that gives you just few hundreds metres of visibility, very dirty and there is no sight of any woman. I had lived in Rio de Janeiro which I (and any Brazilian) consider a sh*t place to be, but Cairo it just like Rio but only with the favelas and no rich areas. If there is any city in the world worse than Cairo please type here.

I have only been in a handful of Brazilian cities but quite like Rio. Great surf and the city is set in an amazing location. Other cities like Sao Paulo may have better restraunts and more urban neighbourhoods but Rio is not somewhere id regret visiting.
    Cairo, ok the pollution is awful and its over 20 years since i have been. We spent a few days between trips east, west and south but the bones of 2 weeka in cairo itself. I loved it. Ive travelled a fair bit and it was the first non western country ive been to but to this day always seems the most foriegn and interesting place I've visited, felt a little like some sort of alien world from a sci-fi. It was pre 9/11 and apparently visiting it is very different since but how anyone could describe it as boring is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

The Eagles wrote: »
    Budapest. Very nice city to look at but didn't seem to be much of a nightlife. Bars were dead and the only action going were the clipper joint scam girls. Maybe I just unlucky?

Second night I was there I went back to the hotel early. Called up a prostitute and had a decent ride so the weekend wasn't a total washout.

Whatever about the other places people have listed , Budapest has a cracking nightlife and it's on the list to go back too again (3rd/4th time). Start the evening in one of the wine bars, find a music or rock bar at midnight, drink till 3am. In the morning hit the Turkish baths to recover yourself.

I don't think you were in Budapest pet. You couldn't possibly have missed the nightlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gradius wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure "partying" to some means going to carbon-copy places. Thrilling.

What is actually interesting is seeing and experiencing how distinct groups of people live differently from you.

Don't party too hard in Starbucks in who-gives-a-fook now :p

I've never been in Starbucks. Easy to avoid.

If you cant find diversity and something interesting and different to do in "Most of the popular cities, and just about all American cities" (billions of people) I think - and no offence like - its you that may be the bore rather than the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I find it so hard to engage with cities I visit. I tend to just drift through not really immersing myself. Some people just have more conducive personalities to get the most out of travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

topnotch wrote: »
    I was also very disappointed with Boston.

So was I. But I think it has a reputation of not being the most exciting place on earth.

The Nal wrote: »
    I've never been in Starbucks. Easy to avoid.

If you cant find diversity and something interesting and different to do in "Most of the popular cities, and just about all American cities" (billions of people) I think - and no offence like - its you that may be the bore rather than the cities.

So distinguish Toronto from Boston then. What's so interesting about Boston, on a day to day basis, that toronto doesn't have?

Wandering into a village in some jungle, now that's cool stuff, worth travelling for, just to see all the differences. Cities like Rome stand out too because they look so different, actual history. Yeah, pubs, clubs, restaurants in addition.

In fact I'd turn your question on yourself, if someone is highly entertained by pubs, clubs, restaurants and throngs of people essentially doing the same things in the same ways among very similar looking places, then you're the one who sounds like a bore.

I think different cities can have different vibes and atmospheres. Like I'd imagine Toronto is way more diverse than Boston. Some people are just better at tapping into these differences whereas others will find them samey.

Didst thou offendeth me? How dare thou. I challenge thee to a joust! :D

Copenhagen. A snorefest of a city and extremely expensive.

I always roll my eyes when people compare it as some kind of utopia, compared to Dublin. Way more craic to he had here, for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I have family in Mullingar but it's a bit of a hole. But since I have family there I end up in it for family events

The last time we had a do we were down at reception having a few pints and got to talking to a few Scottish lads. Asked them why they were here.

They were over with a stag. They went into a travel agency and asked where should they go for an amazing stag.

And she replied the great city of Mullingar...

Poor fecken basterds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Berlin was great for 2 weeks but had nothing to do after

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Covid21

Agree with a lot of posters here:

Holyhead = Boring and a ****hole
    Milan = Boring
    Australia = Completely Overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Dortmund is up there.

I also found Howth to be incredibly underwhelming when I visited... I grew up on the west coast, beautiful scenery etc.. I just thought it didn't deserve the amount of Tourists it was getting in comparison to some other places in Ireland.

It's all personal preference.

Have to agree with you on Howth. Yot get off the Dart there and what is there to do and see? There's that pub, the Bloody Stream for a pint, look at a few effing trawlers and then get fish and chips only to have a seagull mug you for them.

Other places that I have found boring were Kansas City. Even the dive bars are sterile. Reston Virginia....stepford wives mecca. Nashua New Hampshire. Luxembourg City. Found Malta to be pretty lame as well. Was recommended to go on holiday with the gf to Ballyvaughn in Clare and how there's great seafood chowder in some place called Monks, I think. Fcuking most boring place I've ever been. Tried the chowder. It was ok, no better than anything I've had anywhere else. Should have stayed in Lisdoonvarna or Galway instead. At least there would have been a bit of craic.

Covid21 wrote: »
    Australia = Completely Overrated

It's an entire continent packed full of amazing scenery, great weather, wildlife, wilderness, a place where you can get some of the most beautiful beaches in the world to yourself. If you like the outdoors there really isn't anywhere like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Somewhat boring, but overall just a rotten place for me: Hong Kong.
    Didn't really find anything attractive about it at all. Mind you I had gone there after being in Tokyo for 8 nights so it was losing a battle in first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Adhamh

There was a time in the 1970's when Houston couldn't even have been called a city:

rdh7zsqvz5q01.jpg

Honestly the population density was probably on par with Castlepollard

You shouldn't be able to walk several hundred meters through the center of a city without passing a single building ffs

afatbollix wrote:
    And she replied the great city of Mullingar...

:pac: brilliant

josip wrote: »
    Spent 3 months travelling around from Cape Reinga to Bluff.
    We found the South Island was strongly influenced by Scottish Presbyterian settlers, not known for their mad social life.
    The North Island has more influence from the Islanders, but that brings an edginess in certain places, especially if there’s alcohol around.

The places where we had friends really helped to liven up somewhere that would otherwise be very boring.
    Eg. Hamilton on a Wednesday night you wouldn’t expect much from, but if you knew which pub had the stripper from Auckland in that night playing strip pool for the evening, you’d have a fairly good laugh. Better than watching some Australian Rugby League on the pub TV anyway.
    Also places where we stayed in hostels we had a more social time, both in the hostel itself and from recommendations.
    Places we stayed in hotel/motel it was always harder to get in touch with local activity.

Lived in Queenstown for 6 months over autumn and winter and there were 3 social scenes there.
    Tourists passing through for a few days hell bent on living to the max.
    Transient workers like ourselves there for a few months/years who had a very good social life.
    Long term locals whose highlight of the week would be a new product appearing on the shelf of the local supermarket or a shopping trip up the road to Cromwell.

If you are motivated to do proper outdoors stuff then NZ is a fantastic place. Not far from Queenstown you have the Routeburn Track, Milford Track, Kepler Track - all stunning and varied scenery. Great cycling tracks and vineyard tours too not far away. Surfing/skiing/fishing/hunting/diving etc. Plus if you are lucky with the weather, great beaches. Outside of Auckland and Wellington, not a whole lot of vibrancy in the cities however, and the small towns are even worse. So I get how certain people would find it dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Milan is terrible. Went to see ac play. Wouldnt recommend.

Others:
    Stonehenge,
    the main temple site in Cambodia
    Machu pichu itself, the 3 day hike is great
    Midland towns in ireland
    Galway city and dingle town,

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

As one previous poster said, give me a wet day in Dublin that has things to do over any picturesque but boring town in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Dortmund (First bar we went into there was an Irish traveller wedding, just our luck), Los Angeles, Warsaw and Pisa were absolutely ****e too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I have only been in a handful of Brazilian cities but quite like Rio. Great surf and the city is set in an amazing location. Other cities like Sao Paulo may have better restraunts and more urban neighbourhoods but Rio is not somewhere id regret visiting.
    Cairo, ok the pollution is awful and its over 20 years since i have been. We spent a few days between trips east, west and south but the bones of 2 weeka in cairo itself. I loved it. Ive travelled a fair bit and it was the first non western country ive been to but to this day always seems the most foriegn and interesting place I've visited, felt a little like some sort of alien world from a sci-fi. It was pre 9/11 and apparently visiting it is very different since but how anyone could describe it as boring is beyond me.

Spent a bit of time in Cairo, and around Egypt and I did like Cairo. This was about 10 years ago. The traffic is insane, almost no traffic lights so just a constant flow. Crossing the road is difficult. The pollution is terrible, they have this 'black fog' that can descend and you can barely see 100m beside of the pollution so I get it's not too attractive BUT - it did feel like no where else, very other worldly. Didn't feel like Africa, felt more Middle Eastern.

Loved the Egyptian museum, spent lots of weekends exploring around the city and never felt safer. Some decent food, although ended up eating cow brain hotdogs with locals after a night out - rank. I was never bored. Decent culture shock at the time, which is increasingly rare. Good exposure to Islamic culture which I found interesting. Not sure what it's like now though - but I do know the pollution is still a big problem. I'd go back for 2/3 nights no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

sugarman wrote: »

The only place I've found somewhat boring in Europe were the likes of Frankfurt,.

It is the same dynamic again as Hanover. Frankfurt/Darmstadt are boring places in terms of the urban elements but once more, the Hinterland of the Odenwald which is the last remnant of the once great European forests. You can get lost there for years if you want. Lovely small villages with great and cheap places to eat. I almost moved to Darmstadt at one point just because of the Odenwald on its doorstep.

I like cities that are close to nature - so you can have the best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Adhamh wrote: »
    There was a time in the 1970's when Houston couldn't even have been called a city:

rdh7zsqvz5q01.jpg

You shouldn't be able to walk several hundred meters through the center of a city without passing a single building ffs

Huston still looks a lot like this. Only bigger and more populated now. The heat is major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Maynooth or Leixlip for me.

Two grey little villages/big housing estates plonked on the side of a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Whatever about the other places people have listed , Budapest has a cracking nightlife and it's on the list to go back too again (3rd/4th time). Start the evening in one of the wine bars, find a music or rock bar at midnight, drink till 3am. In the morning hit the Turkish baths to recover yourself.

pity Hungarians are so rude and unfriendly

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

steamsey wrote: »
    Spent a bit of time in Cairo, and around Egypt and I did like Cairo. This was about 10 years ago. The traffic is insane, almost no traffic lights so just a constant flow. Crossing the road is difficult. The pollution is terrible, they have this 'black fog' that can descend and you can barely see 100m beside of the pollution so I get it's not too attractive BUT - it did feel like no where else, very other worldly. Didn't feel like Africa, felt more Middle Eastern.

Loved the Egyptian museum, spent lots of weekends exploring around the city and never felt safer. Some decent food, although ended up eating cow brain hotdogs with locals after a night out - rank. I was never bored. Decent culture shock at the time, which is increasingly rare. Good exposure to Islamic culture which I found interesting. Not sure what it's like now though - but I do know the pollution is still a big problem. I'd go back for 2/3 nights no problem.

Very boring not seeing women. Went to a brothel and the prices were very expensive for a country were the wages are 150 € month or not even that. The women were from Sudan or Ethiopia and were asking this kind of money lol not even in Europe is this price. Then had a man that followed me for few blocks, I think was gay, there are a lot of them there and when they see a foreigner they try to be friends. The museum you can't even bring a camera inside. And is very boring people asking you if they can take a picture of you with your camera to then asking some money. And at the pyramids was like hell, more vendors than tourists, trying to scam you and sell sh*t stuff made in China and they would follow you for many minutes untill the tourist gives up and buys his sh*t. Also the men there would not respect couples, they look and say things to women in front of their husbands, and they know they can't do anything. Not a place to go with a woman. And the place is just UGLY, and I had been in many poor countries.

MaccaTacca wrote: »

Leixlip is quiet enough alright but Maynooth has plenty going for it. Good buzz around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Adhamh wrote: »

rdh7zsqvz5q01.jpg

Most of those car parks are still there, you know. Have a look down at Houston from above using Google Earth/Maps.

It makes you wonder why there is such a compelling need in US cities to build such tall, massive skyscrapers only to waste the remaining urban landscape between the big tower blocks with single level parking lots - possibly the greatest waste of useful urban real estate imaginable.

In fact one wonders how uber-tall tower blocks became ever so closely associated with the good ole' USA - it's the last country in the world that would ever need to build so high?

That picture is scary. So much land given to parked cars. I've never seen a better example of how not to plan a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Strange thread. No place is boring really, it's about what you the traveller make of it. You could have the best holiday of your life at the bottom of an abandoned quarry with good people and the right attitude.

I see some places here described as boring, it makes me wonder what people were expecting on arrival. Athens was mentioned - a city dripping in history ffs.

That picture is scary. So much land given to parked cars. I've never seen a better example of how not to plan a city.

But the sign of an economy in a post-war boom and a wealthy populace.

Strange thread. No place is boring really, it's about what you the traveller make of it. You could have the best holiday of your life at the bottom of an abandoned quarry with good people and the right attitude.

I see some places here described as boring, it makes me wonder what people were expecting on arrival. Athens was mentioned - a city dripping in history ffs.
    Someone mentioned the pace of life in Fiji was slow! FFS what did you expect!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

MaccaTacca wrote: »

Don't forget Celbridge!

• Advertisement

I would hate to go anywhere with a lot of these posters!

Advertisement