Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Another vote for Brussels. Have been 3 times alas and despise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bubblypop wrote: »
    Leeds is the best city in the North of England :)
    I may be a tiny bit biased!

Was disappointed with Manchester- even did the bus tour. If you’re not interested in shopping or football not a lot going on. No big sense of history or very interesting buildings

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I liked Athens and love places with a bit of history. But lots of people I know have no interest in it so I could understand how some people find Athens boring.

Different strokes and all that...

I was very surprised to see Athens mentioned as boring in quite a few posts. I really like Athens but the economic kick in the balls it got was brutal and visually evident even 12 years on. It's still not recovering in any meaningful way which leads to a lot of begging and it is a bit grubby in the central areas but I don't mind that.

I know great bars and restaurants, I like the food and find the people great fun. I always like to stay an extra few days there before moving on when I'm in Greece.

Another vote for Copenhagen. I simply find the Copenhageners (?) stuffy, aloof and joyless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Aurelian wrote: »
    This is very subjective! I thought Toronto was a great buzz plenty to see during the day and lots of different neighbourhoods, restaurants etc to visit at night.

Thought just walking around downtown in the evening was a good buzz and no menace!

It is indeed subjective

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Went on holidays to Brittany a number of years ago on the ferry stayed in a small town. Was a very boring trip Brittany is very like rural Ireland but even more boring everything closed at 6pm even the few bars and restaurants closed around 9 or 10 most businesses seemed to be closed more than they were open actually and the town was very dead in general.

Came back to the town one evening after a day trip at 10.30 at night starving had to beg the only takeaway open to serve us up some miserable chips as they were closing up. I was thinking recently that people who live in this place must think with lockdown whats changed nothing happening in it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    pity Hungarians are so rude and unfriendly
    True.
    I went to this one place in Budapest that brewed it's own beer and had homemade goulash....the waitress was comically rude....but it was so nice and so cheap I went back 3 times, by the third visit she was almost vaguely nice to me lol

Still a cracking city, loved the thermal spas, some gorgeous parts to it, the Danube, good museums, I would go back tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GT89 wrote: »
    Went on holidays to Brittany a number of years ago on the ferry stayed in a small town. Was a very boring trip Brittany is very like rural Ireland but even more boring everything closed at 6pm even the few bars and restaurants closed around 9 or 10 most businesses seemed to be closed more than they were open actually and the town was very dead in general.

Came back to the town one evening after a day trip at 10.30 at night starving had to beg the only takeaway open to serve us up some miserable chips.
    So what your saying...is....leave Brittany alone....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

road_high wrote: »
    Tralee Co Kerry is one town I absolutely hate and felt slightly menacing. Shame, because the rest of Kerry all around are of course beautiful

It has a strangely Limerick vibe about the place.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭FinnC

Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Copenhagen. A snorefest of a city and extremely expensive.

I always roll my eyes when people compare it as some kind of utopia, compared to Dublin. Way more craic to he had here, for less.

For a capital it is quite a sedate place...but a beautiful place..nice people too..I love the Danes... I dated one, good person.

Mega expensive which is the worst part and really took a lot of the appeal away... I was on a work trip the first time and was struggling keeping within my expense limit for food and transport, never mind entertainment...in fact I didn’t, but they cleared it anyway.....the night out on the Thursday nearly sent me bankrupt, the equivalent of 11.50 euros a pint in one place...6 pints of beer.. 70 EUROS PLEASE ! ! ! Clothes too are absolutely extortionate.. I’m researching and they are according to what I’m reading...144% the EU average... if you live there wages are good, a lot better then here, just as fûckin well but as a tourist... you’d get a long weekend in Copenhagen what you get a week for in Spain or a lot of other European countries..l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A few vaguely run-down towns in the north of England not quite kipsvill but nothing going for them.

Also strangely enough some towns and cities in the UK that are both rough and scenic i.e have lovey Anglo Saxon churches or quaint Georgian building combined with cheap chain shops and bingo places

from this thread it appears that most irish people are bored if the pubs are not open till 6am and the staff are not falling all over them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strumms wrote: »
    For a capital it is quite a sedate place...but a beautiful place..nice people too..I love the Danes... I dated one, good person.

Mega expensive which is the worst part and really took a lot of the appeal away... I was on a work trip the first time and was struggling keeping within my expense limit for food and transport, never mind entertainment...in fact I didn’t, but they cleared it anyway.....the night out on the Thursday nearly sent me bankrupt, the equivalent of 11.50 euros a pint in one place...6 pints of beer.. 70 EUROS PLEASE ! ! ! Clothes too are absolutely extortionate.. I’m researching and they are according to what I’m reading...144% the EU average... if you live there wages are good, a lot better then here, just as fûckin well but as a tourist... you’d get a long weekend in Copenhagen what you get a week for in Spain or a lot of other European countries..l

Most if not all of the Scandi countries are cold and eye wateringly expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

from this thread it appears that most irish people are bored if the pubs are not open till 6am and the staff are not falling all over them!!

I didn't bother reading it. You couldn't please some people anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I see some places here described as boring, it makes me wonder what people were expecting on arrival. Athens was mentioned - a city dripping in history ffs.

Dripping in filth, crime, rudeness and lack of food choices also.

While some areas are ok, there are reasons the vast majority of people do not spend two weeks in Athens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A good start? Maybe the thread is self defeating in that a really boring place isn't remembered at all you just pass through and forget it. The ones you remember make some kind of impression even if it's a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Vienna, next level boredom
    Ehhh No. Vienna is great. Have been many times. Beautiful at the height of summer. In Winter you have the mountains on your doorstep. Skiing sleding. Hiking in Summer. Mountain biking. Great food. Tonnes of Museums. People can be a bit difficult but they are ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A lot of people have said Bratislava which I can understand if you don't know the place and stick to the usual tourist traps around the old town, but if you know the place its actually a good spot for nightlife and plenty to do.

I also like Vienna and Stockholm, plenty to do in both places if you spend some time there.

Brussels, my better half lived there for 2 years with work , I once spent 6 weeks there, I nearly died of boredom, only decent thing are the Xmas markets and the beer, after that, nothing.

Frankfurt, describing it as boring is actually a compliment to the city. I have spent waaaaaay too much time there with work and nearly ended up having to move there for a year, thankfully that didn't happen (thank you COVID pandemic :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Ehhh No. Vienna is great. Have been many times. Beautiful at the height of summer. In Winter you have the mountains on your doorstep. Skiing sleding. Hiking in Summer. Mountain biking. Great food. Tonnes of Museums. People can be a bit difficult but they are ok.

If this thread has taught me anything it's that plenty of people don't care about nature or culture/history. If they can't have their idea of a night on the town then it's boring. In that case everywhere can be dull.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    A lot of people have said Bratislava which I can understand if you don't know the place and stick to the usual tourist traps around the old town, but if you know the place its actually a good spot for nightlife and plenty to do.

I also like Vienna and Stockholm, plenty to do in both places if you spend some time there.

Brussels, my better half lived there for 2 years with work , I once spent 6 weeks there, I nearly died of boredom, only decent thing are the Xmas markets and the beer, after that, nothing.

Frankfurt, describing it as boring is actually a compliment to the city. I have spent waaaaaay too much time there with work and nearly ended up having to move there for a year, thankfully that didn't happen (thank you COVID pandemic :D)

I enjoyed Stockholm also. Don't get why it is boring. I found it quite beautiful. Frankfurt I really don't like. It is the worst city in Germany I reckon. Munich has a reputation for being boring but I think it is undeserved personally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

road_high wrote: »
    Tralee Co Kerry is one town I absolutely hate and felt slightly menacing. Shame, because the rest of Kerry all around are of course beautiful

Forgot about Tralee, been there twice for sports events, won't be going back. Absolutely nothing going on.

The rest of Kerry is beautiful, dunno what happened to Tralee.

A friend if mine went to Tralee IT years ago, lasted about 4 months and has to leave as the town was so boring, even the student nights out were boring apparently

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

have to agree, I was in Bratislava with locals and had a super time!
    Frankfurt seems to be the most boring place in europe.

I spent a week in Brussels trying to escape from a northernn irish (MEP) dirty fecker, was mad after me all week, telling me that southern catholic girls were dirty as!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Either Essen or Düsseldorf. I liked Cologne for the architecture but even that was pretty boring. Oslo was a bit meh, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Either Essen or Düsseldorf. I liked Cologne for the architecture but even that was pretty boring. Oslo was a bit meh, as well.

Cologne and Düsseldorf are both great cities, socially speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Bali

Haunis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Gavlor wrote: »

Indeed. People in Cologne (Koeln) are remarkably easy going and open. They’re really quite an outlier in Germany, where folks tend to be reserved initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Gavlor wrote: »

I'm not much of a drinker. The city itself, the shops, the restaurants, the Rhine, the tower, the zoo...all really underwhelming in Düsseldorf . The Cathedral in Cologne is worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

New Zealand

Very unpleasant people too

Another bias is the time of year you visit/weather. I find Germany relatively lifeless (for a big country) and Spain is my favourite European country but I've only ever been to Spain in summer and Germany in the winter. Switch that around and my perception would be quite different. Even the Greek islands are different beasts in the off seasons.

hahashake wrote: »
    Another bias is the time of year you visit/weather. I find Germany relatively lifeless (for a big country) and Spain is my favourite European country but I've only ever been to Spain in summer and Germany in the winter. Switch that around and my perception would be quite different. Even the Greek islands are different beasts in the off seasons.

Southern Germany in summer is beautiful.

• Advertisement

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Southern Germany in summer is beautiful.

I've no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Stuttgart.

Should be called "Stupidgart".

Stuttgart.

Should be called "Stupidgart".

Not sure about stupid, but it is quite a stuffy city. Locals are also known to be tight with their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Hamachi wrote: »
    Hyderabad in India, a place I’ve had the misfortune to visit on several occasions.

The filth and the grinding poverty is horrific. My mood on my first trip there wasn’t helped by the fact that I expended a lot of energy ensuring that I was close to a bathroom at all times. Happy memories!
    Seems to be in northern India. Somebody told me before to avoid northern India
    Zaney wrote: »
    India is a challenge and the only time I went there it was 5 star all the way but it was amazing. We travelled the golden triangle and then the far north. One of the best travelling experiences of my life.

Agreed. India is a horrible place. The people are mostly lovely but the chaos, filth and noise drove me mad.

I did like Goa and some other places were interesting but Bangalore was dull, boring and all the other things I hate about India all in one hell hole.

Was working there for a few months and outside of work colleagues and one flirty barman, no one made an attempt to chat or engage. Nightlife was crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Galway (the city). Not only the most over rated tourist destination in the world, but a place you can see and do everything there is to do there in about 15 to 25 mins.

IT IS CRAP. To the point whereby if someone tells me 'Galway is amazing' I assume that they have either never been anywhere else, or think that the totality of human experience revolves around a few pubs and not much else.

Galway is actually a national embarrassment and no one wants to admit it. Like a family member we all know is a loser but service their self-delusions out of kindness.

Another person not cool enough to get Galway :cool: good luck :pac:

I've never been to India but the general filth I have heard about and seen in pictures/video has really put me off, even though a lot of the country really appeals to me.

LA. Complete kip I thought. Hollywood is filthy and full of wannabe actors dressed up as movie characters harassing tourists for money just to get a picture taken with them.

That doesn't sound boring though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Galway.
    Nothing good about it, the lads were constantly giddy about weekends in Galway.

I found it absolutely rubbish.

Wouldn't go back unless it were life or death scenario stuff

PHG wrote: »
    Pisa: Was based there for a trip, boring as.... Even the tower is underwhelming
    Bratislava: Spent 2 days there then boat to Vienna as close together, ok but no more than 1 night and 2 days there. You can walk the city in under a day
    Northern Sardinia: Bar the really rich town the other ones look like they have been to war
    Rejkavik: Iceland is class but the capital is so boring and expensive.
    Malmö: Explained on here a few times
    Cancun: Very overrated
    Roscommon: Not a thing to see or do

I've never fancied going to any of these places (apart from the replay in the Hyde in 1998 we'd a great day there ;))

Why did you go to these places when there's hundreds of great places to go?

• Advertisement

A lot of Italian cities if you take away the history/culture are fairly bleak places. I love Turin. It is a city about the size of Dublin with incredible architecture in the shadow of the Alps. But after 7PM it literally becomes a ghost town. Like an actual switch is turned off. I see the same in so many Italian cities.

Italian cities 'boring' .. are you having a laugh?? The craic you see on the street in Italy is amazing, people screaming at other like crazy over nothing, always drama .. how is this boring?

humberklog wrote: »
    I was very surprised to see Athens mentioned as boring in quite a few posts. I really like Athens but the economic kick in the balls it got was brutal and visually evident even 12 years on. It's still not recovering in any meaningful way which leads to a lot of begging and it is a bit grubby in the central areas but I don't mind that.

I know great bars and restaurants, I like the food and find the people great fun. I always like to stay an extra few days there before moving on when I'm in Greece.

Another vote for Copenhagen. I simply find the Copenhageners (?) stuffy, aloof and joyless.

People who call Athens boring are clueless idiot tourists, used to be being in a resort in Corfu or Mykonos, and certainly have never hung around Exarchia for a day/night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

Witchie wrote: »
    Agreed. India is a horrible place. The people are mostly lovely but the chaos, filth and noise drove me mad.

I did like Goa and some other places were interesting but Bangalore was dull, boring and all the other things I hate about India all in one hell hole.

Was working there for a few months and outside of work colleagues and one flirty barman, no one made an attempt to chat or engage. Nightlife was crap too.

I was only in Kerala..wouldn't be rushing back to India, noise and dirt.
    Veggie food was lovely..dhosas for breakfast, hmmm !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Italian cities 'boring' .. are you having a laugh?? The craic you see on the street in Italy is amazing, people screaming at other like crazy over nothing, always drama .. how is this boring?

I agree, I was in pisa 2001, woman arguing with a copper, big dramatic ott row, woman gave the cop a cracking open hand slap, cop gave her a fairly decent right hook lol.

Nobody batted an eyelid.

I travelled around Italy for a few months, so many rowdy loud colourful characters, was a big highlight for me!!

hahashake wrote: »
    I've never been to India but the general filth I have heard about and seen in pictures/video has really put me off, even though a lot of the country really appeals to me.

I’m afraid I don’t know anybody who really loved India. I have an acquaintance who wanted to go there for his entire life, so much so that he took a 6-month sabbatical from work to really explore.

He had great plans to get immersed in Yoga retreats and visit the holy cities like Varanasi. Not only was he robbed of his belongings, he also had the misfortune to contract typhoid and was forced to return to Ireland after a few months to recuperate. Left him feeling very disillusioned with the place.

I’ve never had any desire to visit India, but I work in an industry in which India is a crucial player. I’ve been to Bangalore, which as another poster mentioned, is awful. Hyderabad is slightly better, but I’d happily never set foot there again. Indians are mostly fine, but I always feel very uncomfortable with how deferential they are because I’m European. I’ve also seen the caste system in action in the workplace. One of the most talented engineers was from the Dalit or ‘untouchable’ caste. The way his ostensibly higher caste colleagues treated him, was simply disgusting.

I’ve heard that Southern India, particularly Goa is supposed to be quite pleasant. Frankly, I have no interest in going back there to discover for myself. The squalor, filth, and poverty I’ve seen with my own eyes is not something I wish to experience again.

The corruption scares me too. I've had a few experiences in Southern Italy that left a bad taste and I'm sure India is 100x worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭appledrop

I love Italy but I have to say I found Milan very boring and I say this as someone who loves shopping!

Thankfully it was just a stop off as we had flown into Milan but it was very underwhelming.

Now we did visit in August so that might account for part of problem as waiter was saying all the Italians leave it in August to go elsewhere and a lot of places were closed.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I’m afraid I don’t know anybody who really loved India. I have an acquaintance who wanted to go there for his entire life, so much so that he took a 6-month sabbatical from work to really explore.

He had great plans to get immersed in Yoga retreats and visit the holy cities like Varanasi. Not only was he robbed of his belongings, he also had the misfortune to contract typhoid and was forced to return to Ireland after a few months to recuperate. Left him feeling very disillusioned with the place.

I’ve never had any desire to visit India, but I work in an industry in which India is a crucial player. I’ve been to Bangalore, which as another poster mentioned, is awful. Hyderabad is slightly better, but I’d happily never set foot there again. Indians are mostly fine, but I always feel very uncomfortable with how deferential there are because I’m European. I’ve also seen the caste system in action in the workplace. One of the most talented engineers was from the Dalit or ‘untouchable’ class. The way his ostensibly higher caste colleagues treated him, was simply disgusting.

I’ve heard that Southern India, particularly Goa is supposed to be quite pleasant. Frankly, I have no interest in going back there to discover for myself. The squalor, filth, and poverty I’ve seen with my own eyes is not something I wish to experience again.

That doesn't sound boring either though.

YOU sound incredibly boring though, no offence intended but I mention that as you're posting on a thread about boring places.

Have a nice boring life man. I bet you are sorely missed in India :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Jesus Christ. Get your fat arse up the coastal walks you chump.

I agree about the coastal walks but Howth village itself is a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dav010 wrote: »
    Holyhead, possibly the worst town I have ever been.

I found Boston a bit of a letdown, but I was living in NY at the time so it was pale by comparison.

Yes it can be a let down after NYC.
    I used to live in Boston, and I'd often go to NY for the weekend or even just a Saturday night, and when you got back to Boston it was like returning to a small rural village.

But as American cities go Boston has character.
    It has crooked narrow streets, not these wide grid patters you see in other newer cities like Pittsburgh, Indy, Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, Dallas etc.

It's got different areas within the main part of the city that have their own identity, like the Back Bay, the North End, Downtown etc, and across the bridge you have Cambridge with places like Harvard Sq etc
    It not just a bunch of sky scraper office buildings that are deserted after 5pm

Plus you have a semi decent underground system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sheering

Kansas seemed pretty boring when I went through it. All I recall was a tumbleweed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement