Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to office dilemma, no longer in Dublin

Options
  • 09-04-2021 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Have any employees of large dublin companies heard much about return to office yet?

working for my current company for about a year. Very happy in job, as happy as any one i've ever had. However, I've been working remotely for that full year and only gotten into the dublin office less than 10 times to meet my boss and a few colleagues.

circumstances have changed and I will be moving back to NI in the next month.

I have not told my Dublin employer yet as we have all been working remotely from our homes in Dublin, and there is no word of returning to the dublin office a few days per week until september at earliest, so I have seen no need to. Plus I've been getting on very well and due for a pay rise next month after a good performance review.

My boss is sound, but I have not said a thing to him. I am putting it on the backburner and working away until an issue arises, hopefully late summer at earliest, but you just never know. I am not sure what advantage bringing it up now has, maybe it lets him know early, as we have not returned to office yet, rather than springing it on them when we're given a months notice.

The commute will be 2.5-3hrs each way per day to Dublin. I have said in my head, the maximum I am willing to do is 2 days per week in the dublin office. I will drive down early on say a tues, stay over somewhere cheap on a tues night out of my own pocket, and drive up home wed evening. Anything more than that and it would not be worth it, wasting upwards of 5 hours per day commuting. I do think they might be ok with it, but i am not sure.

I am a good employee and have caused no bother, work well and respected by my bosses and colleagues thus far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Depends what you do really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Augme

The biggest problem is you are now living in another country. That will cause potential tax/legislative issues for your organisation, especially now post-Brexit. Remote working in the Republic would be a much easier sell. Far more difficult when doing remote up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Augme wrote: »
    The biggest problem is you are now living in another country. That will cause potential tax/legislative issues for your organisation, especially now post-Brexit. Remote working in the Republic would be a much easier sell. Far more difficult when doing remote up north.
    Ni is actually not that bad, I know loads of people that live in the north and work in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Yep, I agree tax is one of the issues. But that’s not the discussion I was after here I suppose, or I would have put it in the taxation forum.

It’s more around how to approach the issue. Should I say something now, or hold off and say nothing. Once it’s out it could be too late and I may be regretting saying anything, that’s what my gut tells me. The longer I am with them and creating a good impression, the more leverage I’ll have ? Even if that is only another few months into this year

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭thefa

Knew a couple of people crossing the border everyday to come work in the south when I worked in a border county. Presume they were using the double taxation agreement. They were crossing the border for work but I’m not sure how relevant that is. Maybe the website below can give some guidance re tax.

https://borderpeople.info/a-z/taxation.html

Could depend on the size of the company and some of its policies which could restrict them to only having employees resident in Ireland. Does your contract specify anything and is it something that could get you dismissed?

In terms of your prospects at the company, hiding the fact you’re living abroad won’t stand to you if discovered. I don’t think an additional few months is going to materially increase your leverage either and, despite all the WFH, you may not have the bargaining power to work only 2 days a week in the office in the future unless it fits into the company’s plans.

I would be tempted to give the manager a call and explain your circumstances have changed and you think you may have to go back to NI for at least the short term and gauge his response. Realise that will alert him to the possibility of you doing it anyway if they cannot accommodate but I’m not sure the alternative is better beyond possibly buying you a few more months.

• Advertisement

Very good point . I’d rather meet him face to face I think (my boss) when telling him

I suppose telling him now and saying I’ll have to go back to NI temporarily , with the intention to come back to Ireland at a later date, gives him time to think about. Because at present no one is in the Dublin office, I’m doing a good job remotely, so the chances of me being sacked immediately are probably fairly low? (I hope)

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Depends what you do really

I provide construction cost advice to major clients on their projects in Europe, I’m never actually on the projects in Europe.

I’m fully aware that you need to meet people face to face and it’s healthy so that’s why I’m saying I’d be more than happy to give 2 days per week to it. Even though I’m doing the job 100% effectively at present remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

They may or may not agree to 2 days. Slightly risky. As you applied to work in Dublin originally this will be treated the case after Covid I'd think. Might come back to bite you if Covid rapidly ends this year.

Personally I'd tell them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I provide construction cost advice to major clients on their projects in Europe, I’m never actually on the projects in Europe.

I’m fully aware that you need to meet people face to face and it’s healthy so that’s why I’m saying I’d be more than happy to give 2 days per week to it. Even though I’m doing the job 100% effectively at present remotely.

Be open about it in that case I'd say, say you are willing to do 2 days in the office. That way they will be able to plan around it while if you drop it later after they have maybe decided you as newest employee (for example) need to be in the office 5 days a week it will kick up a stink

Fair points. Was wishful thinking of me just putting it off to late summer or whenever it is! Will have to get onto the boss this week.

I don’t think he will be too concerned about the tax residency side of things if he is ok with it, as there is another lad on my team from Spain originally, and with covid he goes back to Spain for 1/2 weeks per month on the boat to his parents and works from there.

I always had intended to tell them I’m in donegal but better to be truthful and just say it’s NI I suppose. No doubt in later years if it all goes well HMRC will come knocking some day saying why haven’t I filled out tax returns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are putting yourself and the company at risk for tax avoidance. I'd imagine you are already over the number of days that's available for working outside the state. Your obligation is to inform the employer based on that alone. Commute times and anything else is secondary. Your tax status and residency is at question.

I haven’t actually moved yet, but will be now in next few weeks / month. Still in Dublin . But yes, get what you are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I haven’t actually moved yet, but will be now in next few weeks / month. Still in Dublin . But yes, get what you are saying

Note the spanish lad is probably under the number of days outside the state so that probably works well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

I would also throw in Brexit .. Spain is within the EU so we would have some common tax policies with them but with Brexit I’m not so sure .. NI is technically outside the EU but I’m not 100% sure about the tax implications

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

At a guess, some employers will be happy enough to continue with a mix of wfh and in the office, where it has been working well for all concerned.

I know of a company that has downsized on office space since this began. So, it may not be a case of full return to office for all. No harm in sounding out the issue, with your manager, when the opportunity presents itself.

(That's leaving aside the tax issue, in your situation, because that's not something I am familiar with, and others have advised on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Another thing to consider is if you will be able to work the 2 days in the office consecutively. Our office won’t be opening until September at least and my head of department is happy to allow flexibility when the office reopens. However he has also said that at least one day a week he wants everyone in the department in on the same day to allow for meetings, cross training etc.

We will also be expected to attend client meetings in the office if the client doesn’t want to hold them virtually, management won’t be facilitating some of the team being in person and some dialling in if the client requested an on-site meeting.

I would ask if there have been any discussions about returning to the office and wfh in the future, and mention you may have to move temporarily, and you want to plan ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

No point asking on a forum, what is in your contract?
    Does it allow for home working? if so how many days are you expected to be in the office

You are a year into a job, I would expect people could be 5, 10 years working for the company. Maybe they all want to work from home. How do you think they will feel is suddenly you decide you are only arriving into the office 2 days a week and the rest of them have to go in 4-5?

Unless you have the ability in your contract, or the company has a policy of working from home the majority of time you are in trouble. It's normally is an issue because if you do it then everyone else will. Then as mentioned above nobody is in the office and its a nightmare from training purposes etc

Best to ask the company, loads of them are changing their policies. Hiding and saying nothing will just cause conflict and potentially you could lose job for not showing up to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I live in UK and came home recently. Had a good chat with my employer about it. 90 days out of 180 days rolling is the max outside of the UK or outside the EU in your case, before there are tax avoidance issues, so your boss not minding is not as simple as that. Both you and he could have issues. And that's before you look at health insurance or anything else that's residency based.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

I reckon you should informally flag it to your boss next time you are speaking and mention it as something you were mulling over. Don’t make it a deal breaker yet. Just get the idea out there initially.

Senior management will be having conversations at all office based companies over the next few months about how to accommodate working from home in the future so it would be useful to get your idea in now so it can be considered during those discussions.

I reckon you’ll be far from alone in looking to move further away from the office though and I think most companies will be open to accommodating people in similar situations.

JPup wrote: »
    I reckon you should informally flag it to your boss next time you are speaking and mention it as something you were mulling over. Don’t make it a deal breaker yet. Just get the idea out there initially.

Senior management will be having conversations at all office based companies over the next few months about how to accommodate working from home in the future so it would be useful to get your idea in now so it can be considered during those discussions.

I reckon you’ll be far from alone in looking to move further away from the office though and I think most companies will be open to accommodating people in similar situations.

Yes they will be accommodating and I think everyone knows that but it needs to be a fair policy for everyone. It should not be a case of some lad decides he wants to work from home 75% of the time while the rest of the office is sitting in traffic all day.
    That would be a nightmare for management and HR with complaints all over the place.

I do like the "my boss is sound" with zero consideration for the boss or other people working in the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

I did the UK to Dublin one my understanding and my employers was it was a year until you were deemed an overseas worker (I am now this). But for OP's one I don't see an issue. Does your company have a Uk office? If so can they transfer you there while you still really work for the Dublin one?

I did the UK to Dublin one my understanding and my employers was it was a year until you were deemed an overseas worker (I am now this). But for OP's one I don't see an issue. Does your company have a Uk office? If so can they transfer you there while you still really work for the Dublin one?

This has complications depending on the company because who does the head count sit with? Also you will find from a HR point of view they would need a manager in Ireland and one outside. Of course this all depends on company and the contract as I mentioned before

One huge issue is the contract is an Irish contract and subject to Irish law which is completely different to UK employee rights.....

Again asking on a forum is not the correct practise, they need to approach their manager ASAP and make them aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Having a UK office might not make any difference if they can't transfer the data to it. The OP is working for EU companies in an EU country, moving to a 3rd country could have issues with data transfer laws and export controls. In my company we can't just send data to other sites.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Augme wrote: »

It is not just the taxes, the fact that the employee is outside the jurisdiction means that there is practically nothing that the employer can do legally should the employee go rogue - sell the data, steal the clients, disclose confidential know how etc....

The legal advisors are usually against it.

sebdavis wrote: »
    No point asking on a forum, what is in your contract?
    Does it allow for home working? if so how many days are you expected to be in the office

You are a year into a job, I would expect people could be 5, 10 years working for the company. Maybe they all want to work from home. How do you think they will feel is suddenly you decide you are only arriving into the office 2 days a week and the rest of them have to go in 4-5?

Unless you have the ability in your contract, or the company has a policy of working from home the majority of time you are in trouble. It's normally is an issue because if you do it then everyone else will. Then as mentioned above nobody is in the office and its a nightmare from training purposes etc

Best to ask the company, loads of them are changing their policies. Hiding and saying nothing will just cause conflict and potentially you could lose job for not showing up to work

Sorry about that Seb, I’ll delete my boards account now

Yes they will be accommodating and I think everyone knows that but it needs to be a fair policy for everyone. It should not be a case of some lad decides he wants to work from home 75% of the time while the rest of the office is sitting in traffic all day.
    That would be a nightmare for management and HR with complaints all over the place.

I do like the "my boss is sound" with zero consideration for the boss or other people working in the company

In our company people who live in Dublin city, D4 and surrounding areas are in the office most days and have never stopped.

Some of the head men have moved back to Galway, cork, donegal, other ends of the country.

The people you mention sitting in traffic every day won’t the Dublin or greater Leinster region natives. They use public transport

Yeah London, Manchester office and maybe more . Presence in NI also on public contracts but no office as such

This has complications depending on the company because who does the head count sit with? Also you will find from a HR point of view they would need a manager in Ireland and one outside. Of course this all depends on company and the contract as I mentioned before

One huge issue is the contract is an Irish contract and subject to Irish law which is completely different to UK employee rights.....

Again asking on a forum is not the correct practise, they need to approach their manager ASAP and make them aware of this.

Calm the jets Seb, god of almighty you’d swear you were my Hr manager the way you’re going on!!! :D it’s only a discussion. I haven’t even left ireland yet. I will talk to the manager and I’ll directly DM you if that lowers your blood pressure when you find out :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh for heavens sake of course it makes since to ask on a forum it's the only way to find out what others are doing and what approaches they are taking before sitting down to discuss it with his employer.

You may feel that going around half informed of what is going on around you is the way to go, but most don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It’s more around how to approach the issue. Should I say something now, or hold off and say nothing. Once it’s out it could be too late and I may be regretting saying anything, that’s what my gut tells me. The longer I am with them and creating a good impression, the more leverage I’ll have ? Even if that is only another few months into this year

I'm trying to visualise this if it happened to me (I am the manager in the story).

OK, so you've decided not to say anything. I then discover in August when I ask you to come back in full-time that you've moved to NI. My reaction would be WTF and I would be thinking hang on he just moved countries and never told us?

I would be a bit annoyed by I would try to make it work. If you can't come back to the office you would need to go.

Now let me imagine if you told me about it this evening.

OK, I would be thinking its fair enough. But I would also be thinking you might be disposable, as you realistically can't work properly for the company anymore. I would assume your time at the company is limited. Assumption is I will need you back in the office. However if we're moving to a work from home situation then I wouldn't give a ****.

So I think what you should try to do is ask what is the plan for people returning to the office. Basically find out what the plan is, and if it won't work for you, tell your manager. Don't wait until the last moment.

Advertisement