Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workman’s liability insurance - ballpark costs

• 10-04-2021 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Anyone have aniy idea of the sort of annual premiums ins cos charge? Rough ballpark is all i need as am asking for a relative

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I presume you mean Employers Liability. There is no such thing as a ballpark figure. It is primarily rated on the occupation, followed by the number of employees/wageroll. Also, you won't get Employer's Liability without Public Liability as well

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭hkjohn

Perhaps the word I should be using is TRADESMAN's rather than Workman's insurance

I'm actually enquiring for a relative who's been approached about helping clean out a derelict house by a man who says he has to have liability insurance cover in case he gets injured while on site.

Not looking for hard and fast figures, just ballpark estimates so he can see if it's worth his pursuing

Thanks in advance for your advice/help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

hkjohn wrote: »
    Perhaps the word I should be using is TRADESMAN's rather than Workman's insurance

I'm actually enquiring for a relative who's been approached about helping clean out a derelict house by a man who says he has to have liability insurance cover in case he gets injured while on site.

Not looking for hard and fast figures, just ballpark estimates so he can see if it's worth his pursuing

Thanks in advance for your advice/help

Firstly, these policies are annual. You won't get cover for a one-off job and no return premiums are given for cancellation.

Secondly, any cover protects OTHER people, not the principal. Public Liability offers protection if your relative causes injury or damage to others. Employers liability would cover people your relative would engage to help him perform the task

The person who has asked your relative to get insurance in case he gets hurt on site is mistaken if he thinks he is absolved from liability just because your relative takes out insurance, it doesn't work like that. The owner of the site still has a duty of care.

To try and answer your question, if your relative is working on his own and the job is just a cleanout of rubbish, you'll be lucky to get it for €1,000. If there is any structural work, partial demolition or tree felling, you won't get it. Again, these policies do not cover your relative if they get injured, just people who are injured by your relative's negligence

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭hkjohn

Thanks for the clarification. That's a huge help

Advertisement