Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Expert Advisory Group

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The fact we can't easily find out who is on this group that is making these far reaching recommendations is a shocking indictment of the lack of transparency around this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The fact we can't easily find out who is on this group that is making these far reaching recommendations is a shocking indictment of the lack of transparency around this issue.

Is this what people are talking about?

https://assets.gov.ie/94736/0d942dbd-deed-49d6-b13b-10e6a84495e5.pdf

About 5 seconds on google to find that

At the end of the day, they are advisors and not decision makers. Their identities are irrelevant. They are not directly answerable to the electorate, nor should they be. The politicians are though

Is this what people are talking about?

https://assets.gov.ie/94736/0d942dbd-deed-49d6-b13b-10e6a84495e5.pdf

About 5 seconds on google to find that

No. That's a different EAG. We're talking about the Travel EAG here.

No. That's a different EAG. We're talking about the Travel EAG here.

And there is definitely a separate group of people? I'd say it's the same people? I don't know, just assuming that. Maybe a few people with input on the international side of things

And there is definitely a separate group of people? I'd say it's the same people? I don't know, just assuming that. Maybe a few people with input on the international side of things

So you're comfortable with a TRAVEL EXPERT group being full of clinicians with no travel expertise advising the government on travel?

Anyway as pointed out it's a different group but no public information on them is easily found. This should be transparent and not hidden away from public scrutiny as you seem to be happy with.

• Advertisement

So you're comfortable with a TRAVEL EXPERT group being full of clinicians with no travel expertise advising the government on travel?

Anyway as pointed out it's a different group but no public information on them is easily found. This should be transparent and not hidden away from public scrutiny as you seem to be happy with.

Yeah, it's a public health emergency.

I'd prefer to have input from a professor of epidemiology rather than from the local howiya that advertises free walking tours of Dublin.

Yeah, it's a public health emergency.

I'd prefer to have input from a professor of epidemiology rather than from the local howiya that advertises free walking tours of Dublin.

That's just so silly. Clinicians will take the most conservative approach possible, hence we have the USA and a number of EU states now on the MHQ list.

You're happy with a Travel Expert Advisory Group with no travel experts. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

That's just so silly. Clinicians will take the most conservative approach possible, hence we have the USA and a number of EU states now on the MHQ list.

You're happy with a Travel Expert Advisory Group with no travel experts. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

What is a "travel expert"? Do you mean a vested interest? Like an airline CEO? Major shareholders in IAG? Some fella who spent 2 years backpacking around Asia?

I found a potential travel expert

What is a "travel expert"? Do you mean a vested interest? Like an airline CEO? Major shareholders in IAG? Some fella who spent 2 years backpacking around Asia?

A doctor apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

No but maybe some people who are familiar with the industry as-well as people familiar with the economical and political aspects of it. Certainly experts in these fields should be on an expert travel advisory group don’t you think? It’s like asking your butcher to give you advice on fixing your car, would you listen to it? You’d be a moron if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Probably should have some experience of diplomacy as well as the logistic elements of travel that revolve around cargo and imports/exports, people with experience of the travel system as well as medical advisors.

I mean it’s be the equivalent of an “Economic Expert Advisory Group” with only doctors, you wouldn’t exactly get any economic perspectives if it were so, so how is travel different.

Not saying it should be all lobbyists from the travel industry, but the voices need to be representive.

bombs away wrote: »
    No but maybe some people who are familiar with the industry as-well as people familiar with the economical and political aspects of it. Certainly experts in these fields should be on an expert travel advisory group don’t you think? It’s like asking your butcher to give you advice on fixing your car, would you listen to it? You’d be a moron if you did.

The purpose of the advisory group would not be to create a list of top 10 destinations or sights to see.

It is to assess dangers related to travel in the context of a pandemic. There should be no politics in that group. The politicians can take the recommendations from the group, and then consult with their political and/or economic advisors in making their final decisions. But the group should be free from direct political influence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To be fair to the Donald, he’s right. It’s a committee of health officials. They’re not supposed to take judgements of risk. Their number 1 goal is the preservation of life. But they’re supposed to be an advisory group and the government is supposed to make the risk assessments, take inputs from other groups as necessary and make the call.

The issue isn’t so much the advisory group. It’s the lack of transparency around decision making, criteria for inclusion and exclusion and the apparent lack of input from effected groups. The goal posts for inclusion changed recently much to the surprise of even government ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

faceman wrote: »
    To be fair to the Donald, he’s right. It’s a committee of health officials. They’re not supposed to take judgements of risk. Their number 1 goal is the preservation of life. But they’re supposed to be an advisory group and the government is supposed to make the risk assessments, take inputs from other groups as necessary and make the call.

The issue isn’t so much the advisory group. It’s the lack of transparency around decision making, criteria for inclusion and exclusion and the apparent lack of input from effected groups. The goal posts for inclusion changed recently much to the surprise of even government ministers.

I agree to a degree.

The fact that nothing is available about this “group” but yet they have been quoted by government everywhere seemingly with absolute authority is my issue.

Why is nothing published aboit this “expert” group?

gallyind wrote: »
    economic collapse would be quite bad too, do people even get the damage being done, by this madness.

so if its about variants, then the country will never open up, the disease will always mutate like the flu,

were borrowing 500m a week at the moment, to support the pup, industries, the dole etc.

Ive paid taxes all my life and need to be able to travel to the US for my work, I have never taken a penny from the state,

but this is the last straw, im off, ill pay my taxes somewhere else, BTW im vaccinated.

Just to add the housing collapse of 2008, is nothing compared to the damge being down now,other countries are getting on with it, there is more dmaage being done now, Bertie and Co will look mild compared to the damage being done,

when the tribunals start about who knew what when, feel comfotated, that most involved will be on big pensions, paid for by the private sector.

You'll be doing well to find a country looking after those affected by lock downs as well as Ireland does tbh
    2nd thing Id say is,the economy is not going to collapse between now and july

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

There is a clear process to get in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtQMz1RGNw

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

You'll be doing well to find a country looking after those affected by lock downs as well as Ireland does tbh
    2nd thing Id say is,the economy is not going to collapse between now and july

What july? Why would mhq end in july?

Britexit is a crisis

The north

And the corp tax rate

And then paddy with his m h q, pick your poison its a perfect storm

Advertisement