Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to secondary school

Options
  • 10-04-2021 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Are there any alternatives to mainstream secondary school? My daughter is 13 and in 1st year and absolutely hates it. Every day is a battle. School makes her anxious and primary school was the same. Sometimes she can't go in and other times the school rings me to collect her. She has asked about online schooling but I can't find anything for junior cert. I can see that there is a school in Dublin that offers online for 4th, 5th and 6th year.

We live in Limerick. If she had the option she would go to one of the democratic schools but there is none near us. We were reading about the Sudbury school and she loves the idea of having more freedom, choosing what to learn and being able to go in between 8.30 - 10.30 and finishing anytime from 2.30 - 4.30.

I have also come across iScoil but you have to be absent for 6 months from mainstream school to be referred for this.

Mainstream school isn't for everyone and am worried that she will just give up on her education.

Comments

Advertisement