Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI 2FA from overseas (irish number expired)

• 10-04-2021 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

BOI changed their login criteria earlier this year meaning you now need to use 2 factor authorization to login. Great! However, they only accept uk or irish phone numbers and I'm overseas with a now-expired irish number that I can't receive texts on. Is it possible to use an authenticator app? The boi app says they can post some mini calculator type thing within 10 days but that's a poor alternative tbh. Added bonus that they're charging me their new higher monthly fees while keeping me securely locked out!

Any way around this? I won't be able to get back to ireland for a while and will need to access it at some stage. I will try calling them but it's difficult with the time difference and limited operating hours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Mr.S wrote: »
    Assuming you haven't told BOI you no longer live in Ireland and haven't converted to a non-resident account (which means you can then use a non-Irish / UK number) the easiest way would be to just get someone back home to buy you a PAYG sim and post it to you, and then update to that.

2FA from all the banks these days will mean you need access to that phone number registered to your account, best to update it.

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't realise they have a non-resident account, I've just had the same account since school. Bit annoying having to get copies certified by police, but at least it's an option! I'll open a more suitable account next time I'm in ireland to keep my irish cash.
    I wonder is it possible to get an irish number online and use it, instead of having to post a sim card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I wonder is it possible to get an irish number online and use it, instead of having to post a sim card?

AFAIK no one sells numbers separate from a SIM.

Try eBay for an Irish SIM, the only potential issue is whether or not it would need to be used in Ireland before it would work roaming, check with the seller first, as with anything on eBay make sure the seller rating is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I found a few virtual numbers online but don't know how reliable they'd be longer term, have had mixed experiences with them in other countries.

Think I might see if I can register my dad's irish number on my BOI account so I can clear out my account and figure out next time I'm home for a visit. Frustrating that all banks need an irish number now but at least now I know. Thanks for the help everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

PTSB allow you to register and use an International number to receive Texts

Advertisement