Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock down in your school

• 10-04-2021 6:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what was the policy in each of your schools.
    Our school said no zoom and no video for security reasons. Use Google meets.
    We were not told to stick to a timetable 100%
    But do your best..
    I was amazed at schools who expected 100% timetable given its just not the same thing as a class and perhaps
    a mixed bag approach would be better.
    Throw into the mix teachers who had their own kids to homeschool.
    Our school is a Deis school so attendance this time hooverd around 50% for Google meets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Policy was to aim to have at least one live class per week with each group. Keep live classes short and give them work to do for the rest of the time. Stick to timetable and don’t encroach on anyone else’s timetabled time. Record live classes so that those who couldn’t get access to devices all day could still watch later.

I went live for the first 30 minutes of most classes (sometime more sometimes less) and left them with an activity for the rest of the time, with the activity to be handed in as a teams assignment at the end of the hour. It worked well for me.

My own kids were left to their own devices during the day... I decided the paid work was more important to get done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Ours wasn't specifically prescribed beyond saying that a mix of live classes/recorded classes/uploaded work was acceptable (and necessary to keep workload reasonable).

They did stick to the timetable which I didn't see the sense of initially but was happy enough with in the end. I have gaps in the timetable in the middle of the day and could get some respite during that time so I took on each day knowing that I had that bit of a lull to recharge the batteries.

Was not sure of the idea of (from the student's point of view) sticking rigidly to the timetable. I thought in the spirit of the 'well-being' people go on about pressure to be constantly on could have been taken from students. I'd say it was more the school's instinct to stick with the process at all costs and change nothing until we absolutely have to more than logic or consideration for students' workload that informed that decision.

But in the end, even if it was by default, it actually worked well. It kept the students busy and when we went back partially in-person with Fifth and Sixth Years it meant no change to the timetable was necessary.

Turn-up to classes was good. One or two zoned out completely but that was logical and only a matter of time given their classroom performance anyway. Their attendance was marginally better when schools were open but their class engagement was no better. Engagement was really good from 1st and 2nd years and tapered a little after that which reflects the in-person experience for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Any of the non-exam subjects are going to be used for outside fresh-air breaks, there's a walk we can do outside the school away from traffic, hopefully we don't meet students on the dos in the 'secret hiding spot :pac: ' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Rosita wrote: »
    Ours wasn't specifically prescribed beyond saying that a mix of live classes/recorded classes/uploaded work was acceptable (and necessary to keep workload reasonable).

They did stick to the timetable which I didn't see the sense of initially but was happy enough with in the end. I have gaps in the timetable in the middle of the day and could get some respite during that time so I took on each day knowing that I had that bit of a lull to recharge the batteries.

Was not sure of the idea of (from the student's point of view) sticking rigidly to the timetable. I thought in the spirit of the 'well-being' people go on about pressure to be constantly on could have been taken from students. I'd say it was more the school's instinct to stick with the process at all costs and change nothing until we absolutely have to more than logic or consideration for students' workload that informed that decision.

But in the end, even if it was by default, it actually worked well. It kept the students busy and when we went back partially in-person with Fifth and Sixth Years it meant no change to the timetable was necessary.

Turn-up to classes was good. One or two zoned out completely but that was logical and only a matter of time given their classroom performance anyway. Their attendance was marginally better when schools were open but their class engagement was no better. Engagement was really good from 1st and 2nd years and tapered a little after that which reflects the in-person experience for me anyway.

How would you work it if you didn’t stick to the timetable? Kids could end up with a choice of subjects to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

How would you work it if you didn’t stick to the timetable? Kids could end up with a choice of subjects to go to.

The school would have adapted the system it did during the later part of the original lockdown where class periods were extended and fewer, which meant. I am talking about a timetabled reorganisation rather than a solo-run so choice of subjects didn't arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Partners school had full timetable with every class expected to be done through zoom. Attendance taken on vsware and all work assigned via Microsoft platforms. Management were not very accommodating to exigent circumstances that she may have faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We were 100% live class but students could not cope with the workload. So it went 50/50

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

We were 100% live class but students could not cope with the workload. So it went 50/50

Daughters school were regular timetable with 100 % live classes. Even classes such as religion and PE were live. Attendance tracked via vsware and work handed up via teams. With the best will in the world it was extremely tough going - She ended up glued to a screen for most of the day. Towards the end of March it started to lighten up a bit - certain classes started to set work instead of live lessons. That was a god send - she’d knuckle down to the work readily and it was a break from the screen. She’s back tomorrow the first time since Christmas. She’s buzzing -can’t wait to see her friends - I give it a week before the novelty wears off ðŸ˜

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Personally, I think expecting kid to stick to a screen all day was unfair. The same could be applied to a teacher.
    Most customer services you rang were paired back to be more realistic. Most services too but somehow schools-which are very deficient in terms of Technology -were expected to give 100% service??
    If I was in the situation where I was expected to give 100% live classes plus homeschooling I would have told my Principal where to go. For the reasons listed above.
    In the end, What can a Principal do? There was no curricular mandating 100% timetables?
    However, if going for a promotion or part-time you would be vulnerable to pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

We listened to the students (who told us in no uncertain terms that wall to wall lives like the first lockdown was madness). However depending on the subjects students and content, particularly juniors did prefer live to work set so it really was about finding a balance. In maths for example they definitely preferred live than video demo’s at junior cycle. Music they were happier to have work set and get offline for a while. We were told absolutely no homework at junior cycle though. Everything to be possible to compete within the one class period regardless of whether it was live or not

• Advertisement
Advertisement