Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Must be three years old at this stage? I wouldn't call it new.

That's still nearly new in my eye's and probably newer than the gear that most lad's are running. Tbh if I spent several tens of thousands on kit that done limited hours in the year only to have it fail when most needed then I'd briefly consider donating a box of Maguire and Pattersons finest to it at least until I'd calmed down a bit. But perhaps that's just me, I detest machinery tbh and try to avoid/contract out as much of it as possible.

Getting back to my original point I'd consider myself a reasonably quiet and patient individual but occasionally I go off the head over something particularly when under pressure for whatever reason. It's fairly natural I'd imagine and it's never totally avoidable imo. I don't know anything about the OP's situation and therefore it's hard to comment especially if it's an ongoing thing as opposed to occasionally. I hope Rooster and Co are having a more successful day today and that it's only a temporary setback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That's still nearly new in my eye's and probably newer than the gear that most lad's are running. Tbh if I spent several tens of thousands on kit that done limited hours in the year only to have it fail when most needed then I'd briefly consider donating a box of Maguire and Pattersons finest to it at least until I'd calmed down a bit. But perhaps that's just me, I detest machinery tbh and try to avoid/contract out as much of it as possible.

Getting back to my original point I'd consider myself a reasonably quiet and patient individual but occasionally I go off the head over something particularly when under pressure for whatever reason. It's fairly natural I'd imagine and it's never totally avoidable imo. I don't know anything about the OP's situation and therefore it's hard to comment especially if it's an ongoing thing as opposed to occasionally. I hope Rooster and Co are having a more successful day today and that it's only a temporary setback.

Unfortunately with machinery that when it will cause problems.......the day you are using it. That why I. General I am an advocate of contracting. Out a lot of that heavy work. This is especially true if you have a job as well. Let the lad who is used to machinery manage it. At the end of the day it costs like more than 10-15) hour to use a contractor than do the job yourself.

Met the lad cutting silage when he had the second paddock of six cut I could put my electric fence working on the cattle again and he knew what to do and to close the gate when leaving. I drew them in after he baked them a friend actually have me a hand for a few hours he went on the 4wd, I used the 2wd.

Met the lad adgitating for to get him started and the lad with the tank following morning did my bit of farming and went away to do a few messages. Called back that evening to make sure all fence gaps back up.

It pure hardship

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Unfortunately with machinery that when it will cause problems.......the day you are using it. That why I. General I am an advocate of contracting. Out a lot of that heavy work. This is especially true if you have a job as well. Let the lad who is used to machinery manage it. At the end of the day it costs like more than 10-15) hour to use a contractor than do the job yourself.

Met the lad cutting silage when he had the second paddock of six cut I could put my electric fence working on the cattle again and he knew what to do and to close the gate when leaving. I drew them in after he baked them a friend actually have me a hand for a few hours he went on the 4wd, I used the 2wd.

Met the lad adgitating for to get him started and the lad with the tank following morning did my bit of farming and went away to do a few messages. Called back that evening to make sure all fence gaps back up.

It pure hardship

I understand that well and the fact that a lot of gear is parked up for month's at a time doesn't help matters. It's usually only pulled out of storage the day it's wanted and that's when the problems arise, especially during snatch and grab conditions such as atm. I'm not a lover of machinery or being a tractor jockey at the best of times so if it doesn't work when it's wanted then I'm off to a bad start. That's why I try to contract out the small bit of work I've to get done annually, the professionals would have it done while I'd be thinking about it. However it wouldn't work if we all done it that way and to each there own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Engine error codes galore since this morning here when mowing. Kept going as best I could but tractor gone into limp mode. Blood pressure gone through the roof now. Still haven't told the father. Jaysus

Bloody error on the massey the other day mowing, tractor in low power mode, down to 2km/h mowing lol. Contacted my service man who is good in fairness, and we took a punt on me throwing in a replacement water sensor filter in the fuel filter, so I had to bomb it half hour down the road to pick it up, but thankfully all back going not much over an hour lost. I did think about lobbing the mower on the 1986 case 1394 lol, but that would of been black hardship haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Timmaay wrote: »
    Bloody error on the massey the other day mowing, tractor in low power mode, down to 2km/h mowing lol. Contacted my service man who is good in fairness, and we took a punt on me throwing in a replacement water sensor filter in the fuel filter, so I had to bomb it half hour down the road to pick it up, but thankfully all back going not much over an hour lost. I did think about lobbing the mower on the 1986 case 1394 lol, but that would of been black hardship haha.

Yiu should have bought the 5712 like I said :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »

Similar the landini. She stopped at the headland sowing grass with the sound of metal flying everywhere and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. On investigation the springs on the top of the pedal broke. Both of them. 5pm on a Fri evening of a Bank Holiday weekend. Luckily found suitable replacements in a local hardware. 2 hours of downtime but got going in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

So who's ready for day 2 of "Silage tales in the Rooster land"?? Grab a cuppa, I'll wait.

Right, lets rock!

A few weeks ago one of my fathers school friends died. That's everyone that was in his class dead now, apart from him. That realisation knocked him back. I'm not surprised. Add to that we're just getting a bit of freedom from 15 months of hardship. He's a man who would be out and about, off for a few days music and singing. Loads of little breaks. Being housebound for over a year cracked him, though he's been busier than ever as he started land drainage jobs and things. Mowing day and the tractor turning into Greta Thunberg certainly didn't help the stress levels.

Day 2 then started off nice and early. Topped up the tractor with juice, put on the rake and headed off for a good session of making rows. The grass was in fabulous order, albeit a bit damp after the night. 3 rounds around the field noticed I'd a flat tyre on the rake. Oh my heart nearly stopped. Up to the yard and I was verbally attacked. Silly me for getting out and puncturing the tyre. **** sake. By 9am, I was fit to leave. Patched the tube and got going. Going 50 yards and I looked and she was flat again. WTF? Closer inspection and it seems the tyre is shagged. Wouldn't stay on the rim. Out with the welder and welded a few bits to try stop the tyre popping off again. This after all sorts of things were tried to keep the tyre on, including super glue! By 1pm, I'd about 6 acres done. Balers have arrived. Thank christ there's air con on the tractor. My blood pressure was gone to Mars and I was sweating.

After a lot more strong words in my direction, decision was made to try carry the rake on the lift and do my best. Did that and got it all raked up. Tyre obviously in ****e now but sure that won't be expensive to replace. Immediately dropped the rake off and on with the trailer to move bales. Just in there at 10.30 and finally got my lunch. I mean, first bit to eat since 7am this morning. Was bursting for a ****e too.

Day over now thankfully. Tomorrow is a moving bales day. Say prayers for nothing to go wrong.

I'm in no way mechanically minded and wouldn't repair nothing. I do like driving machines though. These days it's just try keep calm, let the ranting happen and stay going. By tomorrow night we should be finished this batch and it will be all lollipops and roses. Until we mow again....

Stay tuned for tomorrows updates. I hope it's boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

So who's ready for day 2 of "Silage tales in the Rooster land"?? Grab a cuppa, I'll wait.

Right, lets rock!

A few weeks ago one of my fathers school friends died. That's everyone that was in his class dead now, apart from him. That realisation knocked him back. I'm not surprised. Add to that we're just getting a bit of freedom from 15 months of hardship. He's a man who would be out and about, off for a few days music and singing. Loads of little breaks. Being housebound for over a year cracked him, though he's been busier than ever as he started land drainage jobs and things. Mowing day and the tractor turning into Greta Thunberg certainly didn't help the stress levels.

Day 2 then started off nice and early. Topped up the tractor with juice, put on the rake and headed off for a good session of making rows. The grass was in fabulous order, albeit a bit damp after the night. 3 rounds around the field noticed I'd a flat tyre on the rake. Oh my heart nearly stopped. Up to the yard and I was verbally attacked. Silly me for getting out and puncturing the tyre. **** sake. By 9am, I was fit to leave. Patched the tube and got going. Going 50 yards and I looked and she was flat again. WTF? Closer inspection and it seems the tyre is shagged. Wouldn't stay on the rim. Out with the welder and welded a few bits to try stop the tyre popping off again. This after all sorts of things were tried to keep the tyre on, including super glue! By 1pm, I'd about 6 acres done. Balers have arrived. Thank christ there's air con on the tractor. My blood pressure was gone to Mars and I was sweating.

After a lot more strong words in my direction, decision was made to try carry the rake on the lift and do my best. Did that and got it all raked up. Tyre obviously in ****e now but sure that won't be expensive to replace. Immediately dropped the rake off and on with the trailer to move bales. Just in there at 10.30 and finally got my lunch. I mean, first bit to eat since 7am this morning. Was bursting for a ****e too.

Day over now thankfully. Tomorrow is a moving bales day. Say prayers for nothing to go wrong.

I'm in no way mechanically minded and wouldn't repair nothing. I do like driving machines though. These days it's just try keep calm, let the ranting happen and stay going. By tomorrow night we should be finished this batch and it will be all lollipops and roses. Until we mow again....

Thanks Rooster. Enjoyed that. It’s amazing the way we can turn things like this into a comical story afterwards but in the heat of battle it’s a f**king nightmare.

Right, lets rock!

I'll have the popcorn ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have yet to see losing the head, ranting and raving, cursing to make any situation better. Shlt happens, deal with it in an adult manner, learn a lesson and move on. Anger never solves anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Odelay wrote: »
    I have yet to see losing the head, ranting and raving, cursing to make any situation better. Shlt happens, deal with it in an adult manner, learn a lesson and move on. Anger never solves anything.

Was on placement a good few years ago and your man was a head to ball, sent us to clear ditches with tractor and rake that had been saw-headed alot of mature tree limbs etc, that had destroyed the fence which wasnt great to start off with, the next day the incalf heifers where out running the road, field that had been saw-headed was ment to be carrying power up to their block.....
    your man of course loses the plot with us, the digger man was their and with their been a witness i face up to the c##t and ask was what in the name of jesus he thought dropping 10 inch tree limbs onto the fence wasnt going to destroy it, he turned his heels and went on his way still muttering away to himself

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Omallep2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Similar the landini. She stopped at the headland sowing grass with the sound of metal flying everywhere and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. On investigation the springs on the top of the pedal broke. Both of them. 5pm on a Fri evening of a Bank Holiday weekend. Luckily found suitable replacements in a local hardware. 2 hours of downtime but got going in the end
    Bungie cord covers as a temp solution I was told when same happened me

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

When going out with slurry after first cut - would it be better to spread the slurry with the dribble bar or the splash plate ?

Which method does the slurry get absorbed fastest into the ground ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Drawing in here now

josephsoap wrote: »
    When going out with slurry after first cut - would it be better to spread the slurry with the dribble bar or the splash plate ?

I'd nearly wait till after the hot weather this week to spread slurry. You could cake it into the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

josephsoap wrote: »

Dribble bar would have less losses to the atmosphere than splash plate. Trailing shoe would be better again but dunno would that disturb silage ground a bit much or not, never used it as dribble bar is what contractor has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dribble bar would have less losses to the atmosphere than splash plate. Trailing shoe would be better again but dunno would that disturb silage ground a bit much or not, never used it as dribble bar is what contractor has

If its thick slurry, I think I'd work away with splash plate. I'm hearing of the dribbled bar slurry lines, from the spring, still obvious after first cut has been lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Jb1989 wrote: »
    If its thick slurry, I think I'd work away with splash plate. I'm hearing of the dribbled bar slurry lines, from the spring, still obvious after first cut has been lifted.

Whatever way you go, definitely water it down. Don’t put out thick slurry at this time or you could be looking at it caked on ground for two months.

I’d favour the dripple bar if you have the choice

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

I'd nearly wait till after the hot weather this week to spread slurry. You could cake it into the ground

One of the biggest mistakes you can make. Because of the 2018 drought we ended up with a crunchy layer of slurry on top of the ground that no amount of rain washed until it was grazed months later.

Slurry men by have begun to refuse spreading during hot periods in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Biscuitus wrote: »
    One of the biggest mistakes you can make. Because of the 2018 drought we ended up with a crunchy layer of slurry on top of the ground that no amount of rain washed until it was grazed months later.

Slurry men by have begun to refuse spreading during hot periods in recent years.

Mine ended up the same. Cake of slurry.
    Was a disaster... I think it only stopped the grass growing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

There’s a lot of rain/drizzle coming in the south and west coast this week. Should be good slurry weather...

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    There’s a lot of rain/drizzle coming in the south and west coast this week. Should be good slurry weather...

Nothing in the Midlands this week

All in and covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Wonder how Roosterman is getting on today?
    He's either baling away for Ireland or he's been scooped by the guards!

I heard he was carted away in the white jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

https://youtu.be/HtwRvpuNxeY

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭green daries

whelan2 wrote: »
    All in and covered

Great satisfaction in getting the cover on and done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Any update on yer man who put in 120 acres and the walls burst. Lads need to relax and ease of the Teagascian advice.

To be fair Teagasc never advised to cut when it’s spilling rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Anyone ever considered setting up a crow banger in a field of wrapped bales, to keep them away until the bales got shifted?

I'm amazed at how nearly every contractor in the locality has switched to the trunk type handler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

timple23 wrote: »
    Anyone ever considered setting up a crow banger in a field of wrapped bales, to keep them away until the bales got shifted?

I'm amazed at how nearly every contractor in the locality has switched to the trunk type handler.

Id be steering clear of crow bangers I think they seem to cause a lot of agro.
    The trunk type handler are a great job to be fair but we managed to bust a fair few bales this weekend with one couldn't figure it out both me and the contractor who would be well used to it bust a few.
    Was using mastercrop wrap and I'm wondering was it that. Anybody else have issues with that wrap busting very easily.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Alibaba wrote: »
    Mine ended up the same. Cake of slurry.
    Was a disaster... I think it only stopped the grass growing

How long do you wait is the problem. Ours is cut a week and greening up nicely, especially reseeded ground. If it’s left another week there’ll be a good cover of grass on it and it’ll be time to get fertilizer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

To be fair Teagasc never advised to cut when it’s spilling rain.

Your right, they do a lot of farming from the office though,which can be over influencing on some,which can lead to poor decision making from same at times.

Never fear friends. I am here and happy to report that today was as near incident free as could be hoped. Off we go with todays update :D

Was up and out in the tractor at 5.10am. Holy moly. Last night when I was going to bed there was a local pit crew moving grass down the road. At 5.10 this morning they were still on the go, but to a different farmer and going in a different direction. I dunno if they stopped at all last night and they don't seem to have stopped all day either. I met them each and every time I was out on the road moving my bales. Then on my way home at 9 bells, they were heading off in another direction and the same lads were on the trailers as was there at cock crow this morning. Must be exhausting for them these days.

However, I digress. Ye are here for the roosterman and his daddy cockeral battles. None today as the day went swimmingly. It nearly didn't as he rambled out with the adblu container and I noticed it was a bit dark looking. He seems to be using empty adblu cans for holding diesel and was near pouring it into my loaner tractor. Be some nightmare if that happened. Luckily, caught it in time.

Knocked about 50 acres Saturday and it yielded 549 bales. Grass got about 3k gallons of slurry in first week of March, then 3 ton of CAN+S a week later. Very happy with the quantity, though it was gone a little stemmy. Probably a week late at it. No matter.

Have all those delivered and ready to go at the rest of it later in the week. In the meantime I might put out slurry (via splashplate for those wondering). It's giving it fairly dry though until early next week so maybe I should hold off until rain is closer.

I was mad for pints all day too. On my bale delivering journey I had to pass a yard for a pub which had people in it enjoying a pint and the sun all day. Would love to have pulled in for one. Though I know that one would be gone in 2 minutes tops and I'd be onto the second. I always demolish the first one and enjoy the second.

Also at that pub, a lad who lived beside it would be in it 5 days of the week. A man in his 60s I guess who didn't work but loved pints. Pints now, not company! He'd have 4 or 5 every day there and head home. My father used to always comment as we'd be rushing on the roads were we the eejits or was he. Probably us. The same man died a few months back. I didn't know him, speak to him or anything. Yet ya'd miss eyeballing him each time ya'd pass the pub. Strange.

We set up a crow banger. Place is normally infested with them when we're baling. Father set the banger going this morning and no crows all day. However when I was gone with the second last loads he put it away and when I came back the field was plastered with them. And of course, they had tore bales to ****e. Used nearly 2 rolls of tape patching bales. I'm in favour of the banger. Just remember to keep rotating it around so it's banging in different directions. Crows are crafty and they'll quickly figure out to land behind the bang! Ya want to keep them guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »
    Your right, they do a lot of farming from the office though,which can be over influencing on some,which can lead to poor decision making from same at times.

They don't give the advice that some lads are blaming them for. It seems if they tell farmers that grass quality is deteriorating at the moment they're telling farmers to cut in the rain.
    Are farmers really that thick, I don't think so.
    Only a fool wouldn't know that grass quality was deteriorating at the moment but that you aim to cut when grass is leafy not stemmy ****e

Depending on scale it takes time. If you went out and fired a few shots you would have the same effect

On the trunk handlers they are cheaper than the double barrel type now. Your are also lifting a bale where the most plastic is. It's also takes less time. Only disadvantage.... And I have not used one..... Is at a guess you need s 100+ HP tractor.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Never fear friends. I am here and happy to report that today was as near incident free as could be hoped. Off we go with todays update :D

Was up and out in the tractor at 5.10am. Holy moly. Last night when I was going to bed there was a local pit crew moving grass down the road. At 5.10 this morning they were still on the go, but to a different farmer and going in a different direction. I dunno if they stopped at all last night and they don't seem to have stopped all day either. I met them each and every time I was out on the road moving my bales. Then on my way home at 9 bells, they were heading off in another direction and the same lads were on the trailers as was there at cock crow this morning. Must be exhausting for them these days.

However, I digress. Ye are here for the roosterman and his daddy cockeral battles. None today as the day went swimmingly. It nearly didn't as he rambled out with the adblu container and I noticed it was a bit dark looking. He seems to be using empty adblu cans for holding diesel and was near pouring it into my loaner tractor. Be some nightmare if that happened. Luckily, caught it in time.

Knocked about 50 acres Saturday and it yielded 549 bales. Grass got about 3k gallons of slurry in first week of March, then 3 ton of CAN+S a week later. Very happy with the quantity, though it was gone a little stemmy. Probably a week late at it. No matter.

Have all those delivered and ready to go at the rest of it later in the week. In the meantime I might put out slurry (via splashplate for those wondering). It's giving it fairly dry though until early next week so maybe I should hold off until rain is closer.

I was mad for pints all day too. On my bale delivering journey I had to pass a yard for a pub which had people in it enjoying a pint and the sun all day. Would love to have pulled in for one. Though I know that one would be gone in 2 minutes tops and I'd be onto the second. I always demolish the first one and enjoy the second.

Also at that pub, a lad who lived beside it would be in it 5 days of the week. A man in his 60s I guess who didn't work but loved pints. Pints now, not company! He'd have 4 or 5 every day there and head home. My father used to always comment as we'd be rushing on the roads were we the eejits or was he. Probably us. The same man died a few months back. I didn't know him, speak to him or anything. Yet ya'd miss eyeballing him each time ya'd pass the pub. Strange.

We set up a crow banger. Place is normally infested with them when we're baling. Father set the banger going this morning and no crows all day. However when I was gone with the second last loads he put it away and when I came back the field was plastered with them. And of course, they had tore bales to ****e. Used nearly 2 rolls of tape patching bales. I'm in favour of the banger. Just remember to keep rotating it around so it's banging in different directions. Crows are crafty and they'll quickly figure out to land behind the bang! Ya want to keep them guessing.

Ever consider splitting the cuts , cut them a week or two apart. Save the stress and long hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

251 off 22 acres. Grazed at the end of March and looked shocking all April and May. The last 2 weeks brought it in.

Have ye much run off off yer pits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have ye much run off off yer pits?

None here. Dropped Friday, tedded once, raked Friday evening and into the pit Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

251 off 22 acres. Grazed at the end of March and looked shocking all April and May. The last 2 weeks brought it in.
    Crops are gone fierce heavy the last week or ten days. Even lads cutting strong paddocks are getting 7 and 8 bales an acre now. It’s amazing what 2 weeks of the right weather can do to grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Heavy drizzle and mist since 8.30 last night. Fair wetting in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Glad to hear it was a better day :)

How many balers were going at that amount of grass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Odelay wrote: »

I couldn't agree more, there's always another way of getting a job donewhen things go earlier shaped, and mostly, things work out fine.
    There's a lot of anger management needed around. Most often it's a street angels and house devils scenario, apart from some out and out thugs, but nearly all of these types are bags of wined when they're faced down.

A small bit of respect and decency goes along way when dealing with people, especially family members

Had 5 on the go. 2 different contractors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Depending on scale it takes time. If you went out and fired a few shots you would have the same effect

On the trunk handlers they are cheaper than the double barrel type now. Your are also lifting a bale where the most plastic is. It's also takes less time. Only disadvantage.... And I have not used one..... Is at a guess you need s 100+ HP tractor.

Don't have a gun, I presume you'd need a licence for an airsoft one that could kill a crow.

New quicke barrel type on donedeal is 1300, the tr3 which is what everyone has is 1700, plus most contractors already have the barrel type. I just find it strange that they have all changed this year when that type has been around for over 15 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Heavy drizzle and mist since 8.30 last night. Fair wetting in it

Yeah, bad sign of our grass that the trouser got drowned putting up a fence

Would painting a white X on the wrapped bales in the field keep crows away?

On yield per acre, is 8 bales to the acre optimum? Got 10 or 12 before but thought it was stemmy

Would painting a white X on the wrapped bales in the field keep crows away?

On yield per acre, is 8 bales to the acre optimum? Got 10 or 12 before but thought it was stemmy

Bake number has a lot to do with machine used to make the bales as well. My crops are little different to 6-7 years ago. I used never go below 10/ acre not it's impossible to go above 8/ acre. Used to be able to lift two at the back unless they were very wet bakes now No matter how dry if there was two at the back I be lucky to get them 6'' of the ground.

Contractor is using a Krone baler

Slava Ukrainii

Bake number has a lot to do with machine used to make the bales as well. My crops are little different to 6-7 years ago. I used never go below 10/ acre not it's impossible to go above 8/ acre. Used to be able to lift two at the back unless they were very wet bakes now No matter how dry if there was two at the back I be lucky to get them 6'' of the ground.

McHale fusion here.

Silage grass grew an awful lot in the space of a week, was surprised, a bit stemmy and a bit of chickweed but it should be good for sucklers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Any recent baler 10 years old or less all make great bales now, it's all to do with the crop
    We got 15 bales per acre on 2nd cut last year, was a savage crop
    10 years ago we'd have done well to get 10 bales per acre on 1st cut

• Advertisement
Advertisement