Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Engine error codes galore since this morning here when mowing. Kept going as best I could but tractor gone into limp mode. Blood pressure gone through the roof now. Still haven't told the father. Jaysus

Get the Leyland out??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Fendt

Adblu or feeding off it's own engine oil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Get the Leyland out??!

I was gonna ask the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Well feck it anyway the forecast down here in west cork is bad for next. Is there any point ringing the contractor for tomorrow. Bad time for the weather to be mixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Well feck it anyway the forecast down here in west cork is bad for next. Is there any point ringing the contractor for tomorrow. Bad time for the weather to be mixed

Are you fully sure of the weather to be accurate?
    If so, no harm to ring the contractor, because there may be a chance he wouldnt have a hope at short notice to do anything, so then you'll know to just wait.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Are you fully sure of the weather to be accurate?
    If so, no harm to ring the contractor, because there may be a chance he wouldnt have a hope at short notice to do anything, so then you'll know to just wait.
    I would not like to be a contractor this evening. Rain Monday night thru to Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mowed mine yesterday. It rained a bit this morning. Row tomorrow and pick up Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

My contractor is flat out dropping silage this evening. Im in SW Cork also and Monday looks fkd so all gonna be picked up tomorrow.....
    Seriously good evening here so yesterday's rain gone... Just been shocking last 30 days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not like to be a contractor this evening. Rain Monday night thru to Friday

I do not think you are right showers yes but not rain. Predicted weather would at present would not stop me cutting and baling silage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mon eve in to Tues has showers for west cork, if they could pick up mon morning I'd chance it. Ground conditions still the problem here with silage ground. Taking out another paddock alright but pit will have to wait. Did first cut may 15 last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I do not think you are right showers yes but not rain. Predicted weather would at present would not stop me cutting and baling silage

There's a band of rain showing up on the Arpege shortrange rain model for Wednesday.
    If I'm cutting it's always the one I look at. You'll get the general gist then if there's showers showing too.
    Even tomorrow it's showing possibility of showers in this part of the country.

There's a band of rain showing up on the Arpege shortrange rain model for Wednesday.
    If I'm cutting it's always the one I look at. You'll get the general gist then if there's showers showing too.
    Even tomorrow it's showing possibility of showers in this part of the country.

BBC weather forecast
    https://www.bbc.com/weather/2962943

Slava Ukrainii

Yea that's giving rain too.

A map is easier read tho.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/arpege.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mowed 2 paddocks yesterday, got a small bit of rain over night
    Raked them at 1 pm and baled at 3
    70 bales made here this week
    Second cut is about 3 - 4 weeks away

Grass is gone bananas

Yea that's giving rain too.

A map is easier read tho.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/arpege.aspx

Its not giving rain that would stop me making silage. Its showery weather. You are getting projected rainfalls of 1-2mm over 48 hours. That would not stop me from getting on with it. This type of weather could last for 2-3 weeks. I definately be looking at available windows of 48 hours and hope to get 68-72 hour windows

Slava Ukrainii

Its not giving rain that would stop me making silage. Its showery weather. You are getting projected rainfalls of 1-2mm over 48 hours. That would not stop me from getting on with it. This type of weather could last for 2-3 weeks. I definately be looking at available windows of 48 hours and hope to get 68-72 hour windows
    Misty weather can give 1-2mm.
    You wouldn't make silage in misty weather. And you know the south and west coast for misty weather.

At least I won't be blamed this time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

You wouldn't make silage in misty weather. And you know the south and west coast for misty weather.

River shannon looking better today I must keep a right look during the week but today looked good to get a good dry spell 10 days time on ward

lab man wrote: »
    River shannon looking better today I must keep a right look during the week but today looked good to get a good dry spell 10 days time on ward

The forecast is giving next weekend good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I'd make silage in that weather, be fine

• Advertisement

Ah there's no mist over there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Home now. Hoor of a day. NOx sensor gone in the tractor. Doesn't know if its to add more or is adding too much adblu. Not at all impressed that me tractor is an environmentalist.

Limp mode went away after a break so I carried on. Eventually came back. Had roped in a friend of mine to start mowing with me. Thought about the Leyland but the lift is ****e in that. I'd be in worse humour now.

Not the end of the world. Fair play to atkins. Must have been 5 lads from there working together to try keep me going. In the end they got me a replacement while mine is out of action.

Father had a serious rant and rave. He's in horsing form for the last few months. Nothing ever is right or good enough. Takes serious mental strength to be listening to him. I'd say though he's sick of machinery and silage and I wouldn't be surprised if he leased the place next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭green daries

Home now. Hoor of a day. NOx sensor gone in the tractor. Doesn't know if its to add more or is adding too much adblu. Not at all impressed that me tractor is an environmentalist.

Limp mode went away after a break so I carried on. Eventually came back. Had roped in a friend of mine to start mowing with me. Thought about the Leyland but the lift is ****e in that. I'd be in worse humour now.

Not the end of the world. Fair play to atkins. Must have been 5 lads from there working together to try keep me going. In the end they got me a replacement while mine is out of action.

Father had a serious rant and rave. He's in horsing form for the last few months. Nothing ever is right or good enough. Takes serious mental strength to be listening to him. I'd say though he's sick of machinery and silage and I wouldn't be surprised if he leased the place next year.

Ya its not fair on those that have to listen to it ...but it has been a hoore of a spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Same as that here (Offaly too). My land would be heavy enough and I baled on Tuesday and it was fine. That said it got 4 good days from Saturday to Tuesday.

I'm not talking balers. I'm talking 24ft broughan trailers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Mon eve in to Tues has showers for west cork, if they could pick up mon morning I'd chance it. Ground conditions still the problem here with silage ground. Taking out another paddock alright but pit will have to wait. Did first cut may 15 last year

Knocking another 1 /3rd of it tomorrow and hopefully we ll get it off the ground monday before evening.as an old fella said to me one time"if youre waiting for the perfect time to do everything you ll get nothing done"

K.G. wrote: »
    Knocking another 1 /3rd of it tomorrow and hopefully we ll get it off the ground monday before evening.as an old fella said to me one time"if youre waiting for the perfect time to do everything you ll get nothing done"

Time can slip very fast tomorroe is the 6th, if people think next week is out you are heading fast to the 15th of june

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Id be getting my name on the list anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Same here Mooooo. Only difference is that I have got my first cut in the pit today. Super crop although starting to head out. On that point, does anyone else think grass is a week behind on shooting out this year due to the cold dry weather earlier?
    Will cover tomorrow and slurry out Monday hopefully on 10 acres that I baled at 6 bales to the acre, growing 4 1/2 weeks, on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Can’t beat a bit of blazing sunshine all the same and a good wilt.

Id be getting my name on the list anyway.

When I am watching for a window I ring him and let him know. I rang him about the 25th saying would be cutting if we got a window, on Thursday I booked him for Sunday 30th as it looked like it would be a good week, Friday the forecast changed and rang him early expecting him to be booked out. He had only had one lad cutting, I changed to Saturday evening, I was the second farm cut and was one of the last baled my own choice

Slava Ukrainii

Grueller wrote: »
    Same here Mooooo. Only difference is that I have got my first cut in the pit today. Super crop although starting to head out. On that point, does anyone else think grass is a week behind on shooting out this year due to the cold dry weather earlier?
    Will cover tomorrow and slurry out Monday hopefully on 10 acres that I baled at 6 bales to the acre, growing 4 1/2 weeks, on Wednesday

How often did you see whitethorn still in flower in June. Ya grass is a couple of days later IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

First trailer got stuck last year, mower would get stuck if I sent him in there now lol. Good point all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How often did you see whitethorn still in flower in June. Ya grass is a couple of days later IMO

Honey bees are a month to 6 weeks behind on last year.

Wasp Queens scouting locations during the week.

End times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

leoch wrote: »
    U 2 offaly guys anywhere near tullamore killeigh or geashill direction nice part of the world some nice farmland
    I’m kind of mid-west Offaly, at the foot of the slieve blooms. We’ve plenty of good land around but there’s as much bog as there is good land.

I was actively looking over ditches today into silage fields checking for damage! The only field I saw a trace of damage in was one that was picked in the rain Wednesday and it was the trailers on standard lorry tyres that done the damage. But the scarcely broke the sod and not enough to even bring anything into the road.

"Father had a serious rant and rave. He's in horsing form for the last few months. Nothing ever is right or good enough. Takes serious mental strength to be listening to him. I'd say though he's sick of machinery and silage and I wouldn't be surprised if he leased the place next year."

It's the most normal relationship for a father and son to have. It is the father getting frustrated because he's not as able as he was and the son gets it. When my father was the boss, I could do nothing right. He would give out to me when cleaning calving houses that I would break the handle of the pike. I went away to an off farm job and after that he was glad of the help evening and weekends. But I reckon it's frustrating not to be able to be a tearing worker like he was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Ya its not fair on those that have to listen to it ...but it has been a hoore of a spring

Some fathers are pricks. Fighting and being awkward the whole time. A belt of a nursing home wouldn’t go astray for a few weeks. He’d appreciate you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A good few of them are just doing what their fathers did

"Father had a serious rant and rave. He's in horsing form for the last few months. Nothing ever is right or good enough. Takes serious mental strength to be listening to him. I'd say though he's sick of machinery and silage and I wouldn't be surprised if he leased the place next year."

It's the most normal relationship for a father and son to have. It is the father getting frustrated because he's not as able as he was and the son gets it. When my father was the boss, I could do nothing right. He would give out to me when cleaning calving houses that I would break the handle of the pike. I went away to an off farm job and after that he was glad of the help evening and weekends. But I reckon it's frustrating not to be able to be a tearing worker like he was

In a strange way its showing he cares,as a parent the only thing you want is that you give them the skills and attitude to make their way in the world.

If your parents are fit and able be grateful for it, when their gone the line of thinking will change fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

You’ll miss him when he’s gone.

Some fathers are pricks. Fighting and being awkward the whole time. A belt of a nursing home wouldn’t go astray for a few weeks. He’d appreciate you then.

Ya but I don't know if that's the situation here or if its just a man under pressure 🀔 some very valid points either side of the spectrum about it
    It makes an uneasy working partnership either way when someone is giving out a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Some sons are pricks. Fighting and being awkward the whole time. If your not happy ,f*ck off, simple as, if your sticking around for his land then that's your problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Breeding lads, breeding...

If you find yourself saying ‘the father is an awkward Bollox, who is never happy’ - chances are, you’re half an awkward bollox who is happy half the time :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I don't know anything about you or your father's situation Rooster but I could see his reasons for being generally pissed off yesterday. If I'd spent a large sum of my hard earned cash on a new machine that was intended to make life easier and it broke down the day it was wanted then I'd go off the head too tbh. I understand that those things happen but it's still hugely annoying that it gave up on one of the few days it was wanted in what's an already tough year. Granted that's not a license to take it out on everyone else and when your pissed off about something different every day then it's a different story.

Breeding lads, breeding...

If you find yourself saying ‘the father is an awkward Bollox, who is never happy’ - chances are, you’re half an awkward bollox who is happy half the time :)

Sometimes the biggest obstacle a lad has is proving that he’s very different from the oul lad. The farming family is a very unique institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sometimes the biggest obstacle a lad has is proving that he’s very different from the oul lad. The farming family is a very unique institution.

Who are you proving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People's experiences are different. I can think of several lads I know whose fathers would be the biggest thugs and blaggards I have ever met to their families.

Violent and emotionally savage. Real jaw dropping stuff. It's not the norm but every Parish has plenty.

My own fella was a good man, good provider hardworking, but clean impossible to work with. Hours of screaming, roaring from the first day I remember as a child. No rhyme or reason, boiling over with anger from his own childhood, frothing at the mouth anger.

People were often dragged up in previous years, in a country where self respect had been beaten out of people.

We are all bringing our own past in to this topic but that varies from house to house and shouldn't be taken as related to ones own life.

Within a mile of me, there is one father who has never spoken to his sons since they were babies. Another who used lock the family in Rooms, that ended with a dead child one evening all the way to normal tension and the rarer happy and highly functional.

Who are you proving

Yerself.

Danzy wrote: »
    People's experiences are different. I can think of several lads I know whose fathers would be the biggest thugs and blaggards I have ever met to their families.

Violent and emotionally savage. Real jaw dropping stuff. It's not the norm but every Parish has plenty.

My own fella was a good man, good provider hardworking, but clean impossible to work with. Hours of screaming, roaring from the first day I remember as a child. No rhyme or reason, boiling over with anger from his own childhood, frothing at the mouth anger.

People were often dragged up in previous years, in a country where self respect had been beaten out of people.

We are all bringing our own past in to this topic but that varies from house to house and shouldn't be taken as related to ones own life.

Within a mile of me, there is one father who has never spoken to his sons since they were babies. Another who used lock the family in Rooms, that ended with a dead child one evening all the way to normal tension and the rarer happy and highly functional.

Christ that's unreal be a bit of giving off round here but nothing real rough to kids and family was blessed with a gentleman here in the home place
    And actually as i think of it one real rough fella and a blaggard a distance away from here was notorious for abusing the family
    But luckily not too many more in the area maybe there was more in previous generations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If your parents are fit and able be grateful for it, when their gone the line of thinking will change fast

Absolutely. Appreciate them while you have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I don't know anything about you or your father's situation Rooster but I could see his reasons for being generally pissed off yesterday. If I'd spent a large sum of my hard earned cash on a new machine that was intended to make life easier and it broke down the day it was wanted then I'd go off the head too tbh. I understand that those things happen but it's still hugely annoying that it gave up on one of the few days it was wanted in what's an already tough year. Granted that's not a license to take it out on everyone else and when your pissed off about something different every day then it's a different story.

Must be three years old at this stage? I wouldn't call it new.

Advertisement