Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Really enjoying your commentary on the picks Arghus, hope you keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group I

Hello Goodbye
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby

Group J

Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    You're Going to Lose That Girl
    Mother Nature's Son

Group I

Hello Goodbye

No Reply

Eleanor Rigby

‘Strawberry Fields’ not getting through is criminal. The work that went into recording that song was phenomenal.

Stitching together different takes that were in different tempos, and keys, requiring an engineer to get under the desk to reduce the power getting into the console. Criminal!

As there will be 4 wild cards going through at the end of this round, I don’t think you need to worry too much about Strawberry Fields Forever being eliminated. I’ll be astonished if it doesn’t get one of the wild cards.

How’s that going to be run by the way? Will be get a list of all 92 first round losers and be asked to choose the 4 we want to go through? Or will everyone just be asked to pick 1 song from the 92?

• Advertisement

Everyone picks 4 from the 92 eliminated, the 4 with most votes will go through to round 2.

I'll post the full list of what's been eliminated for ease of reference once round 1 concludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Group I
    Hello Goodbye vs I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae vs No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby vs Don't Pass Me By

Group J
    Girl vs Good Night
    Ticket To Ride vs Thank You Girl
    You're Going to Lose That Girl vs Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son vs Your Mother Should Know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Trigger wrote: »
    Group I
    Hello Goodbye vs I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae vs No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby vs Don't Pass Me By

Group J
    Girl vs Good Night
    Ticket To Ride vs Thank You Girl
    You're Going to Lose That Girl vs Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son vs Your Mother Should Know

At least one person is on the same wavelength as me regarding the two underlined songs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

At least one person is on the same wavelength as me regarding the two underlined songs! :D

Disgraceful!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Group I
    Hello Goodbye
    No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby

• Advertisement

Group J

Girl

Ticket To Ride

Helter Skelter

Your Mother Should Know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Group J
    Good Night
    Ticket To Ride
    Your Mother Should Know

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Disgraceful!

In your opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Group I
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae
    Eleanor Rigby

Group J
    Good Night
    Thank You Girl
    Mother Nature's Son

Group I
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae
    Eleanor Rigby

Group J
    Good Night
    Thank You Girl
    Mother Nature's Son

That's three now (including me) that have voted for those two underlined, and I thought I would be on my own! :D

Trigger wrote: »
    In your opinion...

My votes should count for 5.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My votes should count for 5.

Because you have 5 accounts on here is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group I
    Hello Goodbye
    No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby

Group J
    Girl
    Ticket To Ride

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Technically its superb of course but its always left me a bit flat.

This applies to a lot of Beatles songs for me, unfortunately. Though, of course, there are some great ones too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Mod: Please remember the spirit of the game here. A little gentle ribbing over song preferences is fine, but let's not take this too seriously. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, as in all Tournament games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Group I

Hello Goodbye
    Maggie Mae
    Eleanor Rigby

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group J:

Girl vs Good Night - I thought this would be an easy one as I've always liked Girl and had previously found Good Night a bit arch or overly cheesy, but in 2021 I'm surprised about I much I don't mind Good Night. Ringo's voice is great and it's just very nice. After all the chaos and occasional grimness of The White Album it's a pleasant send off and I'll allow myself to think it's sincere.

But, Girl is class. Some people say Rubber Soul is their best album, being a good halfway point between the pop brilliance of early Beatles and the experimentation of the late period. I don't know, but it's not a completely daft opinion and Girl is one of those songs on it that illustrates that inbetween appeal of that album really well. It's accessible and undemanding at first listen, but it's quite moody and complex - the lyrics are bitter and biting and there's that tension of Lennon audibly breathing in hard throughout the song, like a man in pain. There's this sense of just about contained hysteria in the song, it's a standout from that era. Also it's cool that they are singing "tit, tit, tit" in the background.

Ticket to Ride vs Thank You Girl - Thank You Girl is grand, the little harmonica fills are cute, but it's nothing special really. Ticket to ride is one of their best. The difference in complexity and craft between the two songs, recorded two years apart, is striking: way more light and shade in the lyrics, far more accomplished musicianship, better hooks and a really interesting arrangement. I love how the drums kinda drag you through the song, very rhythmically interesting song.

You're Going to Lose That Girl vs Helter Skelter - You're Going to Lose that Girl is pretty good, that hook is damn catchy and while it is simple enough every component part is exactly right.

But Helter Skelter is way more interesting. Being honest, it's never totally convinced me. I never feel like putting on Helter Skelter when I want to rock out. There's other Beatles tunes that rock my socks off a bit more - Money, Twist and Shout, Yer Blues, Come Together etc, etc - even if Helter Skelter is the most "noisy" song they ever put together. And that myth about it being the invention of Heavy Metal is total crap: The Who had been doing the likes of this since 1965 - but all that aside, I still find it an intriguing enough song. Paul can't really convincingly rock - always a bit mannered, a bit put on - but he does his absolute best here and that main riff is great. I especially like that pure raw guitar part that you get an earful of when the rest of the band fades away for a bit at 3:11, that part does rock, pity it fades out pretty quickly. And of course, Ringo shouting is hilarious.

Mother Nature's Son vs Your Mother Should Know - Your Mother Should Know is grand - very musical hall-y and a bit fundamentally pointless - but still a far from offensive tune.

But it's not on the same level as Mother Nature's Son. A truly beautiful song. There's a lot of hippy dippy idealism in the lyrics, but there's a pain in McCartney's voice as he sings them that saves them. And that gorgeous wordless vocal melody, ah, how it manages to be so gorgeous and yet so sad simultaneously. And every part of the accompanying instruments and arrangement is tastefully and perfectly placed. Stunning song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Arghus I am looking forward to this deep level of song analysis in your Walrus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

ShaneU wrote: »
    Arghus I am looking forward to this deep level of song analysis in your Walrus :pac:

That's why it's taking so long Shane!

Group K

I Will

vs

The End

I'm Looking Through You

vs

I Saw Her Standing There

Yes It Is

vs

Penny Lane

Flying

vs

Money (That's What I Want)

Group K
    I Will vs The End
    I'm Looking Through You vs I Saw Her Standing There
    Yes It Is vs Penny Lane
    Flying vs Money (That's What I Want)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group K
    I Will vs The End
    Yes It Is vs Penny Lane
    Flying vs Money (That's What I Want)

That’s a toughie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group K
    I Will
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Penny Lane

Group K
    I Will vs The End - Great musicianship on this track and feature's the best drum solo (maybe the only drum solo!) by Ringo

Yes It Is vs Penny Lane

Flying vs Money (That's What I Want) - Flying is a very lightweight instrumental that is credited to all four, more likely Paul!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group K

I Will
    I'm Looking Through You
    Penny Lane

Advertisement