Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nice to see Mean Mr. Mustard getting a vote. It's a good song. It was a tough draw in this group. For me, it could not beat Lucy etc., but I'm glad it's getting some acknowledgement.

Was equally happy to see Yes it Is get a vote. Lovely harmonies and would probably be up in my Top 20 but came up against a potential overall winner in Penny Lane unfortunately. Potential wild card from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Collie D wrote: »
    Was equally happy to see Yes it Is get a vote. Lovely harmonies and would probably be up in my Top 20 but came up against a potential overall winner in Penny Lane unfortunately. Potential wild card from me.

Yes It Is got two votes so far. It's actually a Beatles song that I don't really know. I will have to start listening to these undiscovered gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Two of Us vs Can't Buy Me Love - Abstain.

Obviously, Can't Buy Me Love is brilliant and is going to walk it into the next round, but I do love Two of Us and can't vote against with my heart, even if, in my head, I know That Can't Buy Me Love is more inspired, iconic and revolutionary - so I abstain. I love the poignancy of Two of Us, Lennon and McCartney singing wistfully about the days gone by, camaraderie, memories and all that - while everyone was increasingly at each other's throats in the studio.

Taxman vs Love Me Do - Hmmm. Another tough one. Taxman...just about. I'd have no complaints if Love Me Do went through here. Very simple, but highly effective. That intro harmonica part is iconic - love that little trill thing he does towards the end, gives it so much character - those vocal harmonies. It's great, despite how basic it is.

But Taxman is a song I'd rather listen to. The opening song off Revolver. Even from the weird count in you can tell something is different compared to what had come before - it distinctly feels like a piss take of the count in from I Saw Here Standing There. And then the bass starts - some of McCartney's coolest bass playing is on this track - and the double tracked vocals hit you. And that guitar solo is so unexpectedly noisy and wild, love the drone qualities of George repeating the title and Lennon's backing vocals have this this drawn out mocking quality - "Mr. Heeeathhh.." It sets up the album to come pretty well: a good bit spikier, harder and trippier than what had come before

I Should Have Known Better vs Hey Jude - I should have Known Better is perfectly fine with lots of nice little touches - the harmonica and guitar solo works nicely together - I especially like how the solo ends with that one final twang - and there's a pleading quality to Lennon's vocals and the oddly pathetic lyrics. It's quite an emotionally insistent and uncomfortable song despite how pleasant it sounds at first.

Buy, Hey Jude is Hey Jude. There's no point writing at length about it yet, because it's going to be in the mix for ages. If there's still anybody out there that doesn't know about this you can hear McCartney say "fcking hell" in the background at 2:58.

Mean Mr. Mustard vs Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - I love Mean Mr. Mustard, it's hilariously dreary, with that plodding bass line. And I love that off sounding waltz segment it gets stuck in towards the end, but it's only a segment of a bigger whole.

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is the most drug inspired song that allegedly isn't about drugs. I don't believe it for a second.

Arghus wrote: »

Taxman vs Love Me Do - Hmmm. Another tough one. Taxman...just about. I'd have no complaints if Love Me Do went through here. Very simple, but highly effective. That intro harmonica part is iconic - love that little trill thing he does towards the end, gives it so much character - those vocal harmonies. It's great, despite how basic it is.

But Taxman is a song I'd rather listen to. The opening song off Revolver. Even from the weird count in you can tell something is different compared to what had come before - it distinctly feels like a piss take of the count in from I Saw Here Standing There. And then the bass starts - some of McCartney's coolest bass playing is on this track - and the double tracked vocals hit you. And that guitar solo is so unexpectedly noisy and wild, love the drone qualities of George repeating the title and Lennon's backing vocals have this this drawn out mocking quality - "Mr. Heeeathhh.." It sets up the album to come pretty well: a good bit spikier, harder and trippier than what had come before

I Should Have Known Better vs Hey Jude - I should have Known Better is perfectly fine with lots of nice little touches - the harmonica and guitar solo works nicely together - I especially like how the solo ends with that one final twang - and there's a pleading quality to Lennon's vocals and the oddly pathetic lyrics. It's quite an emotionally insistent and uncomfortable song despite how pleasant it sounds at first.

Buy, Hey Jude is Hey Jude. There's no point writing at length about it yet, because it's going to be in the mix for ages. If there's still anybody out there that doesn't know about this you can hear McCartney say "fcking hell" in the background at 2:58.

Mean Mr. Mustard vs Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - I love Mean Mr. Mustard, it's hilariously dreary, with that plodding bass line. And I love that off sounding waltz segment it gets stuck in towards the end, but it's only a segment of a bigger whole.

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is the most drug inspired song that allegedly isn't about drugs. I don't believe it for a second.

1. Taxman - great tune from George. It was one of three songs that he wrote on the Revolver album and the most compositions he had on one album apart from The White Album, which was a double-album.

2. I have heard Hey Jude easily a thousand times and I did not know that about Paul! He wrote it as a song dedicated to Julian Lennon.....speaking of which...

3. John claimed that the title of Lucy etc. was the name of a painting that his son Julian did in school! It clearly wasn't!!

2. I have heard Hey Jude easily a thousand times and I did not know that about Paul!

Never knew that either. Time for listen number 1,001.
    3. John claimed that the title of Lucy etc. was the name of a painting that his son Julian did in school! It clearly wasn't!!

Lying **** - John, not you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Arghus wrote: »

The Byrds’ ‘Eight Miles High’ was banned on American radio for being a song about drugs. The band members argue it was written while on drugs but the song, itself, is about flying to England.

It was original ‘Six Miles High’ but was changed to eight because they thought it sounded better and as a nod to The Beatles’ ‘Eight Days a Week’.

‘Lucy in the Sky’ is far more “druggy” though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Group K

The End
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Penny Lane
    Money (That's What I Want)

Group L

Cant Buy Me Love
    Love Me Do
    Hey Jude
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group K

I Will
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Penny Lane
    Money (That's What I Want)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group L

Cant Buy Me Love
    Love Me Do
    Hey Jude
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Group M

Tell Me What You See

vs

I Don't Want To Spoil The Party

Revolution 1

vs

All My Loving

Only a Northern Song

vs

For No One

When I'm 64

vs

Within You, Without You

Group M

Tell Me What You See vs I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    Revolution 1 vs All My Loving
    Only a Northern Song vs For No One
    When I'm 64 vs Within You, Without You

Group M:

Tell Me What You See vs I Don't Want to Spoil the Party - ABSTAIN - Never heard either before and they don't grab me.

When I'm 64 vs Within You, Without You - Probably in a minority here, but much prefer George's stream of consciousness here to Paul's postcard song!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group M

Tell Me What You See
    Revolution 1
    For No One
    Within You, Without You

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Group N

Rocky Racoon

vs

Rain

Please Please Me

vs

Julia

Sexy Sadie

vs

Its Only Love

All Together Now

vs

There's A Place

Group N

Rocky Raccoon vs Rain
    Please Please Me vs Julia
    Sexy Sadie vs It's Only Love
    All Together Now vs There's a Place

Group N

Rocky Raccoon vs Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group M

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    All My Loving
    For No One
    When I'm 64

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group N

Rain
    Please Please Me
    Sexy Sadie

There's a Place

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group M

Only a Northern Song vs For No One This is one of my favourite Beatles songs... Revolver is my favourite album

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group N

Rocky Raccoon vs Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group N
    Rocky Raccoon
    Julia
    It's Only Love
    All Together Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group M
    All My Loving
    For No One
    When I'm 64

Rocky Raccoon - I suspect the slow kick-off will cost this one a few votes.
    Julia - Toughest call yet, maybe.. (or at least, between two I liked, I'm sure there were some close pairs I cared for neither of)..

It's Only Love
    There's a Place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group M

Tell Me What You See
    Revolution 1
    For No One
    Within You, Without You

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group N

Rocky Raccoon
    Julia
    Sexy Sadie
    There's a Place

Group M

Group N

Rocky Raccoon
    vs Rain
    All Together Now
    vs There's a Place

I'm impressed with all the votes for "Within You, Without You" - I thought "When I'm Sixty-Four" would have almost all of them!

I'm impressed with all the votes for "Within You, Without You" - I thought "When I'm Sixty-Four" would have almost all of them!

I think I’d have them pretty equal in my list of preferences although I think when I first listened to Within You, Without You I moved swiftly on but it’s grown on me over the years. Could possibly vote differently if asked tomorrow. Suppose a lot of Beatles preferences depend on what mood you’re in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Group N

Rocky Raccoon
    Please Please Me
    Sexy Sadie
    All Together Now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group M

Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    All My Loving
    For No One
    When I'm 64

Group N

Rain
    Please Please Me
    Sexy Sadie
    All Together Now

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Group M

All My Loving
    For No One
    Within You, Without You

Group N

Rain
    Please Please Me
    Sexy Sadie
    All Together Now

• Advertisement