Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,733 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Group M

Tell Me What You See
    All My Loving
    For No One
    When I'm 64

• Registered Users Posts: 86,733 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Group N

Rocky Raccoon
    Please Please Me
    It's Only Love
    All Together Now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Julia was Lennon's mother who he was separated from as a child, but who came back into his life when he was a teenager - before she was killed in a car accident outside his home when he was 18. It's the only Beatles song that Lennon performs on unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Arghus wrote: »
    Julia was Lennon's mother who he was separated from as a child, but who came back into his life when he was a teenager - before she was killed in a car accident outside his home when he was 18. It's the only song Beatles song that Lennon performs on unaccompanied.

What about Revolution Number Nine? :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group M

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    Revolution 1
    For No One
    When I'm 64

Group N

Rocky Raccoon
    Please Please Me
    It's Only Love
    All Together Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Group M
    Tell Me What You See - Lyrics are cute, song is a tad boring
    I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - I appreciate the fact that he went home!

Revolution - Song doesn't exactly inspire me. The message falls a bit flat imo
    All My Loving - This is nice. very sweet

Only A Northern Song - Ah here! :pac: That was interesting and not interesting all in one
    For No One - ''And in her eyes you see nothing...no sign of love''.
    ''And yet you don't believe her when she says her love is dead''.

So where is the confusion here Mr.
    It's there as clear as day......in here eyes.

Still better than the above

When I'm 64 - I hate it. I hate the silly sound of it. And I hate the lyrics even more.
    Within You, Without you - Too psychedelic for me. And it just seemed to drag on forever.

I'll have Abstain on those. Didn't enjoy either of them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group M

Tell Me What You See vs I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    Revolution 1 vs All My Loving
    Only a Northern Song vs For No One
    When I'm 64 vs Within You, Without You

Group N

Rocky Raccoon vs Rain
    Please Please Me vs Julia
    Sexy Sadie vs It's Only Love
    All Together Now vs There's a Place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Group N

Sexy Sadie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Motion to ban all abstaining of votes.

I had to pick between ‘Hey Bulldog’ and ‘Dig a Pony’ and I can honestly say, hand on my heart, Sophie had it easy compared to what I had to go through.

If you don’t know either song very well then just listen or, even, flip a coin. I wasn’t sure who to pick between ‘Tell Me What You See’ and ‘I Don't Want to Spoil the Party’, they just weren’t tracks I’d really paid too much attention to.

In the end I went with ‘I Don’t Want to Spoil’ after a fresh listen, ‘Tell Me What You See’ sounds too much like a Hollies song and I wasn’t in the mood for that.

I’ve suffered for my choices and so should you.

Just a suggestion.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ive thought about that tbh. As there have been abstentions in Round 1 already I dont think it would be fair to introduce them mid way through the round but Ill have a think about excluding them from Round 2 onwards. Or if anyone else has an opinion please weigh in.

• Advertisement

Through to the next round.

Group K

The End
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Penny Lane
    Money (That's What I Want)

Group L

Cant Buy Me Love
    Taxman
    Hey Jude
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ive thought about that tbh. As there have been abstentions in Round 1 already I dont think it would be fair to introduce them mid way through the round but Ill have a think about excluding them from Round 2 onwards. Or if anyone else has an opinion please weigh in.

I think abstentions are quite valid, and they have been used universally in any votes for music or films. There are a few reasons you might abstain. Here are the main ways I can think of.

1. You are not familiar with either entrant and you don't have the time or you are not in a position to listen/watch (in work for example) to make a judgement on which is better.

2. You dislike both entrants and have not got the will to vote for either. That's a personal judgement thing - some people might vote pragmatically or choose the lesser of two evils. It could be tough to vote if you can't say which is better!

3. You like both equally. People particularly tear their hear out when that happens! You might decide that you are happy for either to go through so leave it to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm against it (not passionately :)). IMO if two songs come up that you've no strong opinion on, why force it. The coin toss idea doesn't sit that well. If my favourite song comes up and no one else likes it well that's the fun of the fair, but if enough people don't care either way and it goes out on a "coin toss". Doesn't seem right. I think abstaining is a way of standing aside to let those that like it, love, hate it, loath it, have their day.

Just my two pfennigs.

I have to abstain because I'm not a fan of The Beatles per se. I don't mind but there may be others like me who would be excluded without the option and it's good to get everybody involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I think we should put it to a vote. Should abstaining be permitted?

Yes or no?

Me: abstain.:p

Seriously though, I agree with Declan.

I don’t really think it should be mandatory, just encouraged to pick one.

It’s not like expect ‘Happiness is a Warm Gun’, or ‘Hey Bulldog’, to win so the system is already, gravely, flawed.

The main thing should be having fun. And ensuring that either ‘Happiness is a Warm Gun’, or ‘Hey Bulldog’, win in the end.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I don't get why people write "abstain" instead of just leaving it blank.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I rarely Abstain on votes, in any of these tournaments (haven't in this one at all and unlikely I will), but on the rare occasions that I do choose to Abstain there tends to be a reason for it.

#FightForYourRightTo...SitOnTheFenceAndDoNothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sheridan81 wrote: »

To try and add a bit of clarity to the person running. That's why I do it, though I don't think I have abstained in this tourno thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sheridan81 wrote: »

The main reason would be that it can be helpful for the host to quickly tally the votes if things are formatted in a certain way.

EDIT: What Purg said

• Advertisement

Group M

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    All My Loving
    For No One
    When I'm 64

Group N

Rain
    Julia
    It's Only Love
    All Together Now

Thanks for the input guys.

Consensus seems to be that voting, even when a tough choice, is encouraged, however its not mandatory, so abstentions are permitted if people feel they cannot make a choice.

The system works!

I try not to abstain in any of these music tournaments, but maybe that's not fair either because sometimes if I don't know either song they just get a quick listen from me and I make a choice based on that.
    Maybe thats good enough
    I dunno.
    I don't like to see too many abstaining though, cos it usually drags out a boring contest between two crappy songs.

:)

Group M:

Tell Me What You See v I Don't Want to Spoil The Party - Tell Me What You See is a pretty minor track really, but quite accomplished for what it is - as inconsequential as it seems it's still effortlessly flawless - and it's interesting for being quite folksy, pointing the way for future directions in their music.

I Don't Want to Spoil The Party is an often overlooked classic. Maybe it all feels a bit breezy and forgettable at first, but listen to it a few times; it's better than you might think. The melancholy mixed with affection in the lyrics, Lennon's expressive vocals, that vocal melody during the verses is downbeat but satisfying, contrasting well with those harmonies that shoot into life, that really great sounding dry electric guitar that comes forward when required and hangs in background when not, the drums and percussion springing into further action at crucial moments. It's also a cool fusion of Country, folk, rock and pop. Great song IMO.

Revolution 1 vs All My Loving: - A tough one. A lot of people prefer the noisier, faster and more strident single version of Revolution, but I've always preferred this one. A lot more ambiguous, both in the lyrics - "Count Me Out...In" - and in its presentation. The song has a narcoleptic feel, but it's not really that soothing if you listen close and there's hints of disorder and noise going on underneath it all the whole time - the weird backing vocals, the random bursts of guitar, ominous background noises. An - intentional - mess. Kinda like the state of the wider world in '68: things were kicking off, but nobody really had any answers, least of all John Lennon and his optimism, honesty and cynicism get mashed together here, resulting in this strangely removed and distant song. I like songs that leave you unsure what to think, especially when they're trying to say something. It's honest.

All My Loving is ridiculously good though. That rhythm guitar is genius, so simple but absolutely right. The vocal hooks bury into your brain. It's a very lean track, nothing is wasted or added that doesn't have to be there and what is there is bang on the money. Wasn't even a single, just a random album track; they had too much material. What a joke.

I was originally going to vote for Revolution 1 here, but after listening to All My Loving a few times I must admit that it's too good to vote against.

Only a Northern Song vs For No One:

I Find Only a Northern Song to be an interesting curio - George’s dissatisfaction of his place in the pecking order made clear - filled with a cacophony of bizarre sound effects. But, would I put it on in a hurry? No.

For No One is arguably McCartney’s best contribution to Revolver. Those lyrics; true facts there Paul. A song not to be listened to in the immediate after a break-up. And, as usual, with McCartney’s best, every element is complimentary and precisely perfect. The piano parts. The French horn, which plays off amazingly well against the vocals in the final verse. The subdued but crucial bass and the percussion used sparingly but excellently. His vocals are incredibly sincere sounding as well, no mugging or showing off. And the melody, fcking hell. I’ll choose Lennon over McCartney on most occasions, but when McCartney was good he truly was great.

When I’m Sixty Four vs Within You, Without You:

After just bigging up how much of a genius McCartney was, here’s an example of why he often pisses me off. Sixty Four is grand, even endearing in places. Not unpleasant, but very lightweight and fluffy: a bit of show-off pastiche. Executed well, no doubt, but a bit of a waste.

Within You is pretty cool. I appreciate how completely heartfelt it is. And it’s a pretty ground breaking attempt from George to go even further than he’d gone before into smashing Indian music into something vaguely pop shaped. Maybe the songs impact doesn’t necessarily match its ambitions, but it’s is an honest attempt and it still manages to sound pretty “other” and out there today. So a vote for George.

Thanks for the input guys.

Consensus seems to be that voting, even when a tough choice, is encouraged, however its not mandatory, so abstentions are permitted if people feel they cannot make a choice.

The system works!

Motion to bump this up for Admin review/appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Group M

Tell Me What You See vs I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    Revolution 1 vs All My Loving
    Only a Northern Song vs For No One - Only a Northern Song is one of their worst, a song written by Harrison as a joke on his hated publishing company (Northern Songs).
    When I'm 64 vs Within You, Without You - neither is great TBH. I've nothing against Georges eastern excursions but WYWY is a dirge.

Group N
    Rocky Raccoon vs Rain - I quite like Rocky but Rain is a monster tune.
    Please Please Me vs Julia - tough decision, PPM is a great single, I expect it to win this tie anyway.
    Sexy Sadie vs It's Only Love
    All Together Now vs There's a Place - I can't remember how There's a Place goes, but Altogether Now is almost as bad as Only a Northern Song... the Yellow Submarine album was a dumping ground for rejected songs, of the new tunes on it, only Hey Bulldog is any good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Motion to bump this up for Admin review/appeal.

It's El Gato's competition, so his choice. No mod input required if Boards' and Forum's rules aren't being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is allowing abstentions more or less likely to lead to

"Oh - 'Hey Jude', I've heard of that, I'll vote for it..." without bothering to listen to the other song, which is probably better?

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is allowing abstentions more or less likely to lead to

"Oh - 'Hey Jude', I've heard of that, I'll vote for it..." without bothering to listen to the other song, which is probably better?

I think in later rounds there's no problem in asking people to explain why they've voted for a certain song. It's common enough in the tournaments I've taken part in. Early rounds it doesn't matter as much maybe. I have no idea how many rounds there will be with this.

I think there's perfectly valid reasons to abstain, Declan went through them excellently well earlier - though I'll only abstain if there is simply no way to separate something in my mind.

I don't know how flipping a coin and making a totally random decision on the back of it is in any way better than abstaining. I'd rather a song went through because a small number of people cared enough, rather than a larger number of people got a random decision that went a certain way.

Advertisement