Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group O

This Boy vs Got to Get You Into My Life

Carry That Weight vs With a Little Help From My Friends - Tough call there as I really like both.

You Can't Do That vs Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) vs I Wanna Be Your Man

Group P

Octopus's Garden vs Her Majesty – Simple tolerable song written and sung by Ringo beats a short throwaway hidden song by Paul (both from Abbey Road album)

I Want to Hold Your Hand vs She's Leaving Home

What Goes On vs Blackbird

Little Child vs Yellow Submarine – Interesting discovery with old-style rock and roll and beat music. I am fed up of the other one, but I’m sure it will win!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group O

Got to Get You Into My Life
    Carry That Weight
    You Can't Do That
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

Group P

Octopus's Garden
    I Want to Hold Your Hand
    What Goes On
    Yellow Submarine

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group O

Got to Get You Into My Life
    Carry That Weight
    You Can't Do That
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

Group P

Octopus's Garden
    She's Leaving Home
    Blackbird
    Little Child

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Octopus's Garden vs Her Majesty - both fairly throwaway songs, but got to give Ringo some love
    I Want to Hold Your Hand vs She's Leaving Home - not a fan of SLH, bit melodramatic (I know that's the point but still)
    What Goes On vs Blackbird - Blackbird is lovely, WGO is the worst song on Rubber Soul (it's still not terrible, I love Rubber Soul)
    Little Child vs Yellow Submarine - Ringo again. Little Child is a bit generic by their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group O

This Boy vs Got to Get You Into My Life
    Carry That Weight vs With a Little Help From My Friends
    You Can't Do That vs Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) vs I Wanna Be Your Man

Group P

Octopus's Garden vs Her Majesty
    I Want to Hold Your Hand vs She's Leaving Home
    What Goes On vs Blackbird
    Little Child vs Yellow Submarine

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Group O

This Boy (John's middle 8 on this is something else, especially when he performed it live...one of the best ever written imo.

I'm not feeling it; an unremarkable track all round in my opinion.

The third note or so of This Boy is reminiscent of Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Group P

Blackbird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

What song do Beatlemaniacs figure is going to win this then? Good odds on a Hey Jude v Yesterday final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    What song do Beatlemaniacs figure is going to win this then? Good odds on a Hey Jude v Yesterday final?

I'm not one but Hello Goodbye :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Quite likely this, unless they come up against each other earlier. Two of my least favourite of their songs though.

• Advertisement

A Day in the Life must be a contender. I am the Walrus would be a big favourite amongst Beatles fans, not sure about more casual listeners. I don't think Yesterday will win it, it's a nice song but somewhat overplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A Day in The Life would be a worthy winner, but, judging by how things have gone so far, it'll probably be booted out during round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I hope not. Would be nice to see something slightly less obvious win the tournament. We need an underdog story here.

I'd personally love an In My Life v Eleanor Rigby final myself, but I'm discovering some new ones throughout this tournament (that are oft-times losing their respective battles) so keeping an open mind.

Here Comes The Sun & Eleanor Rigby might be thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Reberetta wrote: »
    I'm not feeling it; an unremarkable track all round in my opinion.

The third note or so of This Boy is reminiscent of Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk.

That's fair enough - I just love it though. The three part harmony. The rising pitch and the near voice break. John never liked his own voice but I especially love it on this .
    Plus the out-take "thas boy" when they're cracking up, laughing at how they're getting it wrong is hilarious.

Ringo's Octopus's Garden really is a fantastic song; I'd rank it before many lauded songs from the three primary, more heralded songsmiths.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

A Day in the Life would be my own personal favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I absolutely adore For No One so would love to see that win.

Hey Jude though is probably my favourite Beatles song, wouldn't be surprised to see it go the distance.

I absolutely adore For No One so would love to see that win.

Hey Jude though is probably my favourite Beatles song, wouldn't be surprised to see it go the distance.

I become a little tired of Hey Jude due to Macca's insistence on belting it out at any opportunity (or worse, skipping straight to the Na Na Nas as he did at the Olympics).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Lots of contenders for the overall winner. Apart from those already mentioned, Let It Be is likely to be there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    Lots of contenders for the overall winner. Apart from those already mentioned, Let It Be is likely to be there or thereabouts.

There's so many contenders that I could not boil it down to one, or even four semi-finalists for that matter.

Just on that.

I had originally thought of having a 3 way dance for the final but I'm thinking maybe have a vote on the top 3 when that's reached whittle it down to the final two. Having a 3 way (uhh err missus) for the final may dilute it a little I feel.

Anyone got an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just on that.

I had originally thought of having a 3 way dance for the final but I'm thinking maybe have a vote on the top 3 when that's reached whittle it down to the final two. Having a 3 way (uhh err missus) for the final may dilute it a little I feel.

Anyone got an opinion?

Voting on top 3 followed by a one on one would likely spoil or telegraph the final tbh as the two finlaist will have just squared off. So either do a straight up 3 way match or a voting of preference and tot up the points. That would be my shout anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A very suspicious call. We’ll need a “stewards enquiry” should this come to pass.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Omackeral wrote: »
    Voting on top 3 followed by a one on one would likely spoil or telegraph the final tbh as the two finlaist will have just squared off. So either do a straight up 3 way match or a voting of preference and tot up the points. That would be my shout anyway.

The final is going to be a secret ballot ie people will PM me their pick over a 48 hour period then I'd do the reveal on a predetermined date. For transparency and to ensure accuracy I will also post a list of who voted for what after the reveal is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Omackeral wrote: »

Agree with this. Wouldn’t do a run off vote to get three down to two. I like the idea of preferences though. Everyone has to score the three finalists with 3,2 or 1 points.

But as the mod said earlier: Your game, your rules. If I was ever running one of these I’d probably just ignore votes by anyone who owns either a Phil Collins or Coldplay album.

Collie D wrote: »
    Agree with this. Wouldn’t do a run off vote to get three down to two. I like the idea of preferences though. Everyone has to score the three finalists with 3,2 or 1 points.

But as the mod said earlier: Your game, your rules. If I was ever running one of these I’d probably just ignore votes by anyone who owns either a Phil Collins or Coldplay album.

I'll have you know that the first three Coldplay albums are (nearly) masterpieces - loads of good tracks! The cheek! I also used to co-own Phil's second solo album - some good songs, and a few bland. There's also Genesis. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'll have you know that the first three Coldplay albums are (nearly) masterpieces - loads of good tracks! The cheek! I also used to co-own Phil's second solo album - some good songs, and a few bland. There's also Genesis. :mad:

You’ll have to speak up - I have you on ignore ;)

Ah, each to their own. I just have an inexplicable hatred of both acts. Moreso the singer than the music in Coldplay’s case.

Anyway, just realised I haven’t voted on last night’s fab fours. Sorry for the off topic rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't have the time today to write a treatise, so short and relatively sweet.

Group O

This Boy vs Got To Get You Into My Life: This Boy's harmonies and vulnerability win out here. I always found Get To Get You Into My Life cheesy , even if he is singing about weed.

Carry That Weight vs A Little Help From My Friends - I like Carry That Weight, but A Little Help is too good, with too much character.

You Can't Do That vs Maxwell's Silver Hammer - You Can't Do That is incredibly bitter and twisted, so I'd vote for it in most circumstances. But against MSH - McCartney's complete dereliction of taste - I'd nearly vote for it twice.

Norwegian Wood vs I Wanna Be Your Man - The swagger and swing of I Wanna Be Your Man is great, but Norwegian Wood is top tier Beatles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This Boy
    With a Little Help From My Friends
    You Can't Do That
    I Wanna Be Your Man

Advertisement