Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Getting close now.

ce18b24bbb5bbad3b528f26d8624a20c.gif

Gave you a plug in the Ultimate Tournament thread in AH as well :)

BeatleMania Promo

Wouldn't be a fan myself outside of their really massive tracks but looking on at this with great interest to see what the real fans think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

4Ph3qcm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Necro wrote: »
    Gave you a plug in the Ultimate Tournament thread in AH as well :)

BeatleMania Promo

Wouldn't be a fan myself outside of their really massive tracks but looking on at this with great interest to see what the real fans think :D

I feel the same Necro. Never considered myself a big fan. Looking at my music library I only have the 2 double cd collections (the red and blue albums) and Abbey Road - and an unofficial monophonic release called Introspective.
    So I will use this tournament as an opportunity to explore their discography further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Cheers Necro!

Format of the tournament will be as follows.

Kicks off around 20:00 this evening assuming I get the kids to bed and nothing unexpected crops up.

In round 1, there are 92 groups with 2 songs per group.

I will post them in blocks of 4, so in each post there will be 8 songs and people pick their preferred choice from each of the 4 and post their picks on thread.

People will obviously have their favourites but Im conscious of overloading so Im thinking making 2 posts per night to allow people to give a listen or two to some of the lesser known songs. That would equate to 16 songs per day for 12 days to get us past round 1. Votes will be counted for a 24 hour period only.

The winners from Round 1 will be entered into an open draw for round 2 and so on until we whittle it down to the top two songs.

Im thinking for the final, we will have a secret vote as in people will PM me their pick, allow 48 hours for people to decide then have the reveal. For the sake of transparency, once the winner is revealed I will post on thread who voted for what song.

I will abstain from voting in any of the rounds but will cast the deciding vote in the event there is a tie in any of the rounds.

Looking forward to kicking it off and hopefully people discover something new, its hard to top finding new songs to stick on repeat!

May the best Beatle win!!

qQ8.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Format of the tournament will be as follows.

Sounds good. Will the songs be seeded? You don't necessarily want potentially the two most popular songs against each other in the first round and one getting knocked out immediately. Or if no seeding, then maybe consider a second chance round where all the losers from Round 1 are voted for and 2 (say) get to go in to roud 2?

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Sounds good. Will the songs be seeded? You don't necessarily want potentially the two most popular songs against each other in the first round and one getting knocked out immediately. Or if no seeding, then maybe consider a second chance round where all the losers from Round 1 are voted for and 2 (say) get to go in to roud 2?

Nope, no seeding, just a straight shoot out.

I toyed with the idea of having seeds but tbh that just gives (imo) an unfair advantage to the heavy hitters. By not having seeds it means people really have to consider their choices and that in essence is what this is all about, getting the consensus of what is their best song overall.

Could maybe have a second chance for round 1 only where 2 songs that are eliminated in round 1 can get back in for round 2 based on a second vote. Let me think about it and I will finalise something before we kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

So we have 24 hours to get the votes in each time? I really like that.

I'm getting too old for the first to 7 votes or most votes in 20 minutes style of tournament, I like something that offers a lot more breathing room like this that I can get more invested in and ultimately be more crushingly disappointed when the rest of these feckers make the wrong choice... :pac:

Obviously Revolution Number 9 is going to walk it.

So we have 24 hours to get the votes in each time? I really like that.

I'm getting to old for the first to 7 votes or most votes in 20 minutes style of tournament, I like something that offers a lot more breathing room like this that I can get more invested in and ultimately be more crushingly disappointed when the rest of these feckers make the wrong choice... :pac:

Yep. I think for something like this, it's key to give people the chance to really think about their picks. I've discovered many times over the years with music that with one or two listens I wouldn't think much of them but when I sat down and properly listened I discovered i actually loved the song. Plus it allows people that may be AFK for a while a chance to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Arghus wrote: »
    Obviously Revolution Number 9 is going to walk it.

It will be interesting to see how the songs from the White Album (with apologies for referring to it by that name) will fare.

I note there is no seeding planned. Will the draw be totally random, or will it be done chronologically or using some alternative non random way of deciding on the pairings?

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how the songs from the White Album (with apologies for referring to it by that name) will fare.

I note there is no seeding planned. Will the draw be totally random, or will it be done chronologically or using some alternative non random way of deciding on the pairings?

Round 1 draw has already been made. I used an online randomiser. Entered all 184 song titles into it, selected they be added into pairs and hey presto, draw made. Looking at the round 1 draw, if it were me having to choose, there are a couple of pairings that would be extremely difficult for me to pick one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I like the extra voting time, given there are definitely going to be lots of songs in here I don't know, and I can have time to get a fair hearing :)

Less than 5 hours left!

tenor.gif

I'm going to read along song by song with Revolution In The Head. A book every Beatles fan should own:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_in_the_Head:_The_Beatles%27_Records_and_the_Sixties

So I think we will run with QB's suggestion.

Of the 92 songs eliminated in round 1, we will hold a second vote and the top 2 picks will both move on to round 2.

This is the only round that this will occur and after that, once its gone its gone.

See you all at 8!

tenor.gif

Its 20:00, the kids are in bed, and we are ready to go.

tumblr_m5yms7ADkB1ruff9fo1_250.gif

yP5mkP.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

f979218b59cf4acfbe386b1353e83774e641180d.gifv

Group A

I'm a Loser

Vs

Another Girl

I'm Happy Just to Dance With You

Vs

Long, Long, Long

Vs

Come Together

Tomorrow Never Knows

Vs

Honey Pie

Group A
    I'm a Loser vs Another Girl
    I'm Happy Just to Dance With You vs Dear Prudence
    Long, Long, Long vs Come Together
    Tomorrow Never Knows vs Honey Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So I think we will run with QB's suggestion.

Of the 92 songs eliminated in round 1, we will hold a second vote and the top 2 picks will both move on to round 2.

This is the only round that this will occur and after that, once its gone its gone.

See you all at 8!

tenor.gif

Apologies if you’ve explained this but I’ve scanned the thread and can’t see it but won’t that leave you with uneven numbers?

92 Round 1 winners and 2 wild cards is 94. So after Round 2 we’ll be down to 47 songs.

Looking forward to this by the way.

Collie D wrote: »
    Apologies if you’ve explained this but I’ve scanned the thread and can’t see it but won’t that leave you with uneven numbers?

92 Round 1 winners and 2 wild cards is 94. So after Round 2 we’ll be down to 47 songs.

Looking forward to this by the way.

Ballbag, you are correct!!

Damn you Quickbeam!!!!!!!

:pac::pac::pac:

Ok, we will amend it to the top 4 from those eliminated after round 1 will be added to round 2. That should even it out?

• Advertisement

Just a general request when voting. To make my life easier with tracking the votes, when posting, please make sure to note which Group the songs are taken from, eg, for the first group, the following is how I would like votes presented.

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    Long, Long, Long
    Tomorrow Never Knows

I will make sure to post the songs in each post in an easily quotable format for those using the touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group A
    Abstain
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Honey Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group A
    Another Girl
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Tomorrow Never Knows

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group A
    I'm A Loser
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Honey Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    Come Together
    Honey Pie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The 24 hour thing is a great idea, because I never usually listen to songs and only vote if I already know them. But I've lsitened to all 8 here (I only knew one):

Group A
    I'm a Loser - prefer it
    I'm Happy Just to Dance With You - wasn't crazy about either, but this was a bit better
    Come Together - the one I knew, good song
    Honey Pie - nice old fashioned tune and the other was horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group A
    Tomorrow Never Knows vs Honey Pie

Group B

Something

vs

Till There Was You

The Word

vs

If I Needed Someone

Let It Be

vs

I'll Cry Instead

I Want To Tell You

Vs

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Group B
    Something vs Till There Was You
    The Word vs If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be vs I'll Cry Instead
    I Want to Tell You vs Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Ballbag, you are correct!!

Damn you Quickbeam!!!!!!!

:pac::pac::pac:

Ok, we will amend it to the top 4 from those eliminated after round 1 will be added to round 2. That should even it out?

You’ll still end up with an uneven number somewhere though unless at some point you have a number with the root of 2 ie 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2...winner.

Although if you do go with 92 first round winners and 4 wild cards you could go head to head all the way and end up with a 3-way final.

• Advertisement

Just to prove I’m not here to piss on your cornflakes and be a pain here’s my Group A picks. :)

Group A
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    vs Honey Pie

Advertisement