Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Group U

Baby, You're a Rich Man vs I'll Follow the Sun - strangely 1967 is probably my least favourite Beatles year and BYARM is an example of the sort of dreary psychedelia that I think is over-represented on both of their albums from than year. I'll follow the Sun is a pleasant little ditty.
    It Won't Be Long vs When I Get Home - It Won't Be Long is a great album opener, I love the call-and-response yeahs
    I Am The Walrus vs Polythene Pam - I now take back what I said about 1967 - I am the Walrus is a bloody masterpiece and one of the most psychedelic things they recorded. The arrangement is incredible (I think George Martin gets a lot of the credit here).
    Magical Mystery Tour vs Fixing a Hole - not much between these, they're both OK.

Group V

Do You Want to Know a Secret vs She Said She Said - incredible drumming on She Said, up there with "Rain"; and in service of great piece of psych rock
    Here Comes The Sun vs Baby's in Black - HCTS is just lovely, one of Harrison's finest songs.
    Any Time at All vs Every Little Thing - these are both a bit meh, but ELT is the better of the two and has a nice chorus.
    Michelle vs Think for Yourself - Michelle is a clever little pastiche but I like the guitar riff on Think...

Group W

I'll Get You vs Doctor Robert - Dr Robert, like pretty much everything on Revolver, is great. I'll Get You I just had to listen to to remind myself how it went, and I've already forgotten it again.
    Things We Said Today vs Because - I like both of these, but the harmonies on Because are just amazing.
    I'll Be Back vs She Loves You - I'm a bit bored of SLY, plus I can play I'll Be Back on the guitar, so it gets my vote.
    Across The Universe vs Why Don't We Do It in the Road - WDWDIITR is one of the worst things on the White Album. Across the Universe is a bit hippy-dippy, but it's pleasant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group U

I'll Follow the Sun
    It Won't Be Long
    I Am The Walrus
    Magical Mystery Tour

Group V

Do You Want to Know a Secret - as a non-nerd, one of my favs :)
    Here Comes The Sun
    Any Time at All
    Michelle

Group W

I'll Get You
    Things We Said Today
    I'll Be Back
    Across The Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

T & S is a cover, as per tournie rules only original songs written by and originally recorded by the Beatles were being entered but You Know My Name is one of theirs. Am on mobile but will check the list when I log on later this morning.

Money (That's What I Want) is a cover and appeared earlier, beating Flying. I'll leave it up to you to sort that out. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Group U

Baby, You're a Rich Man
    It Won't Be Long
    I Am The Walrus
    Fixing a Hole

Group V

Do You Want to Know a Secret
    Here Comes The Sun
    Any Time at All
    Think for Yourself

Group W

Doctor Robert
    Because
    She Loves You
    Across The Universe

(Disappointed "Don't let me down" AND "I've got a feeling" have been knocked out already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group U

Baby, You're a Rich Man vs I'll Follow the Sun
    It Won't Be Long vs When I Get Home
    I Am The Walrus vs Polythene Pam
    Magical Mystery Tour vs Fixing a Hole

Group V

Do You Want to Know a Secret vs She Said She Said
    Here Comes The Sun vs Baby's in Black
    Any Time at All vs Every Little Thing
    Michelle vs Think for Yourself

Group W

I'll Get You vs Doctor Robert
    Things We Said Today vs Because
    I'll Be Back vs She Loves You
    Across The Universe vs Why Don't We Do It in the Road

Has anyone read “The Beatles - Stories Behind the Songs” by Steve Turner? I was given a present of it a number of years back and I managed to unearth it today (buried among a load of other books). I’m sorry I didn’t go looking for it earlier.

Some interesting stories about what was going on when these songs were written.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

abff wrote: »
    I presume that comment is meant to be about A Day In The Life? And I can’t say that I disagree.

No, it's meant about In My Life - like I said! Otherwise I would have said A Day In The Life!

Though, both songs are bound to be up there. Maybe I Am The Walrus, proving very popular.

Has anyone read “The Beatles - Stories Behind the Songs” by Steve Turner? I was given a present of it a number of years back and I managed to unearth it today (buried among a load of other books). I’m sorry I didn’t go looking for it earlier.

Some interesting stories about what was going on when these songs were written.

no but I have read Ian McDonald's Revolution in the Head which is a fantastic book along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,726 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Baby, You're a Rich Man
    When I Get Home
    I Am The Walrus
    Magical Mystery Tour

I'll Get You
    Things We Said Today
    She Loves You
    Across The Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Arghus wrote: »
    No, it's meant about In My Life - like I said! Otherwise I would have said A Day In The Life!

Though, both songs are bound to be up there. Maybe I Am The Walrus, proving very popular.

Remember hearing somewhere that ‘In My Life’ was very similar to a TS Eliot poem. Would love to know which one.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Arghus wrote: »

Fair enough. You’re clearly very knowledgeable about the Beatles, and I should not have assumed that you would make an error like that. My apologies.

I like both of those songs by the way and I expect both of them to progress a lot further, depending on which songs they come up against, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group U

Baby, You're a Rich Man vs I'll Follow the Sun
    It Won't Be Long vs When I Get Home
    I Am The Walrus vs Polythene Pam
    Magical Mystery Tour vs Fixing a Hole

Remember hearing somewhere that ‘In My Life’ was very similar to a TS Eliot poem. Would love to know which one.

no mention of this in the aforementioned Revolution in the Head

Group V

Do You Want to Know a Secret vs She Said She Said
    Here Comes The Sun vs Baby's in Black
    Any Time at All vs Every Little Thing
    Michelle vs Think for Yourself

Fair enough. You’re clearly very knowledgeable about the Beatles, and I should not have assumed that you would make an error like that. My apologies.

I like both of those songs by the way and I expect both of them to progress a lot further, depending on which songs they come up against, of course.

We're all friends here mate! And I agree with you on what you have to say.

She Said She Said
    Here Comes The Sun
    Every Little Thing
    Think for Yourself

Group W

I'll Get You vs Doctor Robert
    Things We Said Today vs Because
    I'll Be Back vs She Loves You
    Across The Universe
    vs Why Don't We Do It in the Road

• Advertisement

Not going to get too deep into it tonight

Group U:

I'll Follow The Sun
    It Won't Be Long
    I am The Walrus - gladdens my heart to see I am A Walrus being so well received - so far the more left field stuff has not been popular
    Magical Mystery Tour - very close this one.

Group V:
    She Said, She said
    Here Comes The Sun
    Any Time At All
    Think For Yourself

Group W:
    Doctor Robert
    Because
    She Loves You
    Why Don't We Do It in the road - Across the Universe starts great, but then gets increasingly Phil Spectored and while Why Don't We Do it in the Road is daft, it is a vocal tour de force from McCartney.

Only a couple of hours to go in the voting? The wild card round is going to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Reberetta wrote: »
    Money (That's What I Want) is a cover and appeared earlier, beating Flying. I'll leave it up to you to sort that out. ;)

Tbh, I Googled a listing of original Beatles songs and came up with my original listing but at a count of 185. There was some twiddly 40 or 50 second instrumental off one of the albums I left off. I will add The Inner Light and Old Brown Shoes to the wildcard round. If anyone knows of originals that are also absent just post on here before half 9 ish and I will include them too.

Tbh, I Googled a listing of original Beatles songs and came up with my original listing but at a count of 185. There was some twiddly 40 or 50 second instrumental off one of the albums I left off. I will add The Inner Light and Old Brown Shoes to the wildcard round. If anyone knows of originals that are also absent just post on here before half 9 ish and I will include them too.

How about the pair of 90s releases - Free as a Bird or Real Love - or do people count/like them? I thought they were decent enough.

In all likelihood anything that you’ve left off is unlikely to be top four of roughly a hundred wild card votes but for sake of completion no harm.

I'd throw in Twist and Shout, even if it is a cover - there's been a few covers in some of the match ups in any case. It's a iconic performance and significant in the lore. Plus Lennon's vocals in it are fantastic: right on the edge of completely hoarse:

You Know My Name is stupid and silly, which is why I like it. Plus it's the only Beatles song where someone burps into a mic. That's gotta count for something.

Old Brown Shoe. A low key banger.

Through to the next Round

Group U
    I'll Follow The Sun
    It Wont Be Long
    I Am The Walrus
    Magical Mystery Tour

Group V

Do You Want to Know a Secret
    Here Comes The Sun
    Any Time At All
    Michelle

Group W
    Doctor Robert
    Things We Said Today
    She Loves You
    Across The Universe

Wild Card Round

Below is a list of 90 odd elimated songs and a couple of the other on thread suggestions have also been added. Simple process, people just select their top 4 picks from the full listing below and the 4 songs with the most votes will go through to round 2. The list has been filtered alphabetically for ease of reference.

This is the only wild card round so from round 2 onwards, once a song is eliminated, its gone for good.

Voting will last for 24 hours.

Another Girl
    Baby, You're a Rich Man
    Because
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    Birthday
    Blue Jay Way
    Devil in Her Heart
    Dig a Pony
    Dig It
    Don’t Let Me Down
    Don't Bother Me
    Don't Pass Me By
    Every Little Thing
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby
    Fixing a Hole
    Flying
    For You Blue
    Free As A Bird
    Good Night
    Here, There and Everywhere
    Hold Me Tight
    I Call Your Name
    I Me Mine
    I Need You
    I Should Have Known Better
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    I Want to Tell You
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    I Will
    If I Fell
    I'll Be Back
    I'll Cry Instead
    I'll Get You
    I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
    I'm Looking Through You
    It's All Too Much
    It's Only Love
    I've Got a Feeling
    I've Just Seen a Face
    Little Child
    Long, Long, Long
    Love Me Do
    Maggie Mae
    Mean Mr. Mustard
    Misery
    Mother Nature's Son
    Not a Second Time
    Octopus's Garden
    Oh! Darling
    Old Brown Shoe
    One After 909
    Only a Northern Song
    P.S. I Love You
    Paperback Writer
    Piggies
    Please Please Me
    Rain
    Real Love
    Revolution 1
    Revolution 9
    Run for Your Life
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
    She Said She Said
    She's a Woman
    She's Leaving Home
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Sun King
    Tell Me What You See
    Tell Me Why
    Thank You Girl
    The Ballad of John and Yoko
    The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    The Word
    There's a Place
    Think for Yourself
    This Boy
    Till There Was You
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Twist and Shout
    Two Of Us
    What Goes On
    What You're Doing
    Why Don't We Do It in the Road
    With a Little Help From My Friends
    Within You, Without You
    Yer Blues
    Yes It Is
    You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
    You Like Me Too Much
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    You Wont See Me
    You're Going to Lose That Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Take Here Comes The Sun off the list. it's through

Here, There and Everywhere
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    With a Little Help From My Friends

Some tough choices await. Some amazing songs will go no further.

Tomorrow Never Knows
    I Want You (She's so Heavy)
    Rain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Paperback Writer
    Twist and Shout
    With a Little Help from My Friends
    Love Me Do

Advertisement