Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Blackbird
    Strawberry Fields Forever

Group F

Golden Slumbers
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

group c

while my guitar..
    helter skelter
    and your bird can sing

group d
    the fool on the hill
    here comes the sun
    eleanor rigby

group e

paperback writer
    blackbird
    come together

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Blackbird

Group F

In My Life
    Got to Get You Into My Life
    A Day in the Life

• Advertisement

Group F

In My Life
    A Day in the Life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group E

Yesterday vs Paperback Writer - close call
    Blackbird vs Do You Want to Know a Secret - no contest
    Strawberry Fields Forever vs Come Together

Group F

Golden Slumbers vs In My Life
    Magical Mystery Tour vs Got to Get You Into My Life
    Taxman vs A Day in the Life - another easy decision

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Blackbird

Group F

In My Life
    Magical Mystery Tour (not a fan of either song to be honest)
    A Day in the Life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I have to admit that I am surprised that Let it Be is getting so few votes at the moment. While I do like George's While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I think Paul's Let it Be is striking and somewhat (at least!) heartfelt, plus it's a nice piano-led ballad with good additional organ by Billy Preston and nice lead guitar from George. Weeps turns into a bit of a jamming session two-thirds of the way through - nice but inconsequential, although Eric Clapton's lead guitar is good.

I'm also surprised. Bit of a massacre by my reckoning - 13/3 or thereabouts. I expected Let It Be to make it to the final few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group E

Yesterday
    Blackbird

Group F

In My Life
    Magical Mystery Tour
    A Day in the Life

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Do You Want to Know a Secret
    Come Together

Group F

In My Life
    Taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group E

Yesterday vs Paperback Writer

Blackbird vs Do You Want to Know a Secret

Strawberry Fields Forever vs Come Together - Tough one this, but Come Together just edges it with it's odd lyrics and bluesy guitar sound.

Group F

Taxman vs A Day in the Life - Will it go all the way to the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

speckle wrote: »
    group c

while my guitar..
    helter skelter
    and your bird can sing

Hi speckle, just an FYI, voting lasts for a 24 hour period from the time the rounds are posted so I'm afraid your votes for rounds C & D can't be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Blackbird

Group F

In My Life
    A Day in the Life

Hi speckle, just an FYI, voting lasts for a 24 hour period from the time the rounds are posted so I'm afraid your votes for rounds C & D can't be counted.

I’m fairly confident at least 3 ‘Nowhere Man’ votes came in after the 24 hours. No need to check, just re-instate ‘Hey Bulldog” and we’ll say no more about it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Blackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group F

Golden Slumbers
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group E

Yesterday vs Paperback Writer
    Blackbird vs Do You Want to Know a Secret
    Strawberry Fields Forever vs Come Together

Group F

Taxman vs A Day in the Life

I’m not having a go here, but where is all the love for ‘Golden Slumbers’ coming from?

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the ‘You Never Give Your Money’ reprise in it but how is YNGYM eliminated but ‘Golden Slumbers’ still going strong?

For me, YNGYM is the standout track on side 2 of ‘Abbey Road’. It’s a real shame it’s got, unceremoniously, dumped out but it’s nice to know a small piece of it is still fighting the good fight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

People have different tastes. I didn't vote for it, but I liked it only marginally less than In My Life.

• Advertisement

I’m not having a go here, but where is all the love for ‘Golden Slumbers’ coming from?

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the ‘You Never Give Your Money’ reprise in it but how is YNGYM eliminated but ‘Golden Slumbers’ still going strong?

For me, YNGYM is the standout track on side 2 of ‘Abbey Road’. It’s a real shame it’s got, unceremoniously, dumped out but it’s nice to know a small piece of it is still fighting the good fight.

I don't get it either. Especially when you see the song it's up against!
    I mean, whatever about John Lennon retrospectively looking back over his life, that George Martin piano solo is absolute genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Group E
    Yesterday
    Blackbird

Group F
    Golden Slumbers
    A Day in The Life

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I mean, whatever about John Lennon retrospectively looking back over his life, that George Martin piano solo is absolute genius.

It always makes me think of the little montage it plays over at the very start of the anthology videos. I've a real soft spot for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The solo is great, aye, but the rest of it is a bit dirgey. Golden Slumbers has a nice building string crescendo - not a huge fan of the middle - and then it fades out with a nice repetition of the first bit.. It's not an amazing song, but it's nice enough that indignance on IML's behalf seems a little unwarranted.

Ficheall wrote: »
    The solo is great, aye, but the rest of it is a bit dirgey. Golden Slumbers has a nice building string crescendo - not a huge fan of the middle - and then it fades out with a nice repetition of the first bit.. It's not an amazing song, but it's nice enough that indignance on IML's behalf seems a little unwarranted.

I sorta want to change my vote…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I sorta want to change my vote…
    Bleh, I dunno. I'm not going to try wax lyrical about it. I just preferred it. Left me waiting for more, as opposed to the other one which left me waiting for it to end. Maybe a short attention span? Had IML cut out the bit after the piano solo, and the bit in front of it, I definitely would have voted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group E -

Yesterday vs Paperback Writer: Paperback Writer is an above average rock song. Yesterday is one of the best songs ever written.

Blackbird vs Do You Want to Know a Secret: Blackbird is poetic and powerful.

Strawberry Fields Forever vs Come Together: Oh my God. Choices don't get much tougher than this. I love, love both of these songs. Both are definitely in or around the top five Beatles tunes in my book. I really love Come Together, I fcking love it. Maybe it's the coolest Beatles song. I love its edge of menace and cynical jadedness. You can really feel the disillusionment of that era in time in the song, but it still rocks like a beast. A killer track.

SFF isn't perfect. Is the last minute really necessary? And maybe the arrangement gets far too cluttered as it goes on, the first verse is the best, but, fck, it is still a work of singular genius: totally groundbreaking, unique and still, to this day, beguiling. So it's with a heavy heart I must vote, for not necessarily my favourite of the two, but the one I think is objectively superior: Strawberry Fields Forever

Ficheall wrote: »

Ah yes, fair enough. Maybe "I don't get it" is the wrong phrase to use. Golden slumbers is a lovely little song for what it is, in the ways you described above. I can see why people like it, I like it!, but against in my life...I dunno. It's a minute and a half of a ...ummm....filler? Something that macca copied from some sheet music on his dad's piano. It's a half finished song, a bit of a song, that fits nicely in the second half of abbey road. Nothing more really for me. But each to their own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group F -

Golden Slumbers vs In My Life:

GS is perfectly fine, it's more than fine. It's very pleasing to the ears and it has a majestic sweep to it, with some fantastic McCartney vocals. But, honestly, it can't come within an asses roar of In My Life.

Firstly, IML, is an actual song, not just a movement in a song. Secondly, the emotional resonance of IML is profound: is there a better song in existence that perfectly evokes those equal fellings of nostalgia and melancholy that is to reminisce? Between the lyrics and the absolutely gorgeous melodies and instrumentation: that shit is pure poetry. It's the real deal. And if you'd rate GS above it... then I can only shake my head.

Magical Mystery Tour vs Got To Get You Into My Life

Taxman vs A Day in The Life: Taxman is great, but it's not in the same league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Arghus wrote: »

Firstly, IML, is an actual song, not just a movement in a song. Secondly, the emotional resonance of IML is profound: is there a better song in existence that perfectly evokes those equal fellings of nostalgia and melancholy that is to reminisce? .

Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams. :P

Advertisement