Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group A

Day Tripper
    A Day in the Life

Group B

We Can Work It Out
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group A

Day Tripper
    A Day in the Life

Group B

We Can Work It Out
    I Am The Walrus

Those were very easy choices, leading me to believe that there are some excruciating ones ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

group a

day tripper
    a day in the life

group b

we can work it out
    I am the walrus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group A -

I Feel Fine vs Day Tripper: Both excellent songs, but I marginally prefer Day Tripper for the class riff, the crisp drumming, the more complex lyrics and the way that Lennon messes around with that "soooo" long in the chorus is so on the money - first time a bit pained second time gritty and grainy and an amazing and unexpected use of falsetto on the third time.

She Loves You vs A Day in The Life - Not a contest of equals here. Sly is great, but it pales in comparison to the mind melting brilliance of ADITL.

• Advertisement

Group B -

We Can Work it Out vs Hey Jude: I think familarity and over exposure is working against HJ here. WCWIO is excellent, one of their iconic songs for sure, but there's something magisterial about HJ, still, even if it has been played to death. Is it a bit vapid, yeah, does it plod a little, I guess. But the vocal melody is outstanding, McCartney's vocals are maybe never better, and the way it moves from the restrained first half into the euphoria of the second still gives me a dose of the goose pimples. And McCartney's scatting is great. It has a power and an impact that WCWIO doesn't match.

Happiness is a Warm Gun vs I Am The Walrus - Tough decision, I love HIAWG, but I Am The Walrus is unimpeachable. It's not just about the weirdness, the groove is excellent, the weird effects on the vocals give it something extra too, the cadences and the rhythms of the vocals and lyrics are kinda mesmerising and lots more, the backing track etc, etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

Group A

I Feel Fine
    A Day in the Life

Group B

We Can Work It Out
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group A

I Feel Fine vs Day Tripper
    She Loves You vs A Day in the Life

Group B

Hey Jude vs We Can Work It Out
    I Am The Walrus vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Through to the next round

Group A
    I Feel Fine
    A Day in the Life

Group B
    We Can Work it Out
    I Am The Walrus

Both Hey Jude and Happiness... eliminated is a big surprise, HJ losing by 10 votes is huge.

Group C

Eleanor Rigby

vs

And Your Bird Can Sing

Back in the U.S.S.R

vs

Blackbird

Group C

Eleanor Rigby vs And Your Bird Can Sing
    Back in the U.S.S.R vs Blackbird

• Advertisement

Group D

For No One

vs

Im Only Sleeping

Help!

vs

Get Back

Group D

For No One vs I'm Only Sleeping
    Help! vs Get Back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group C

Eleanor Rigby
    Blackbird

Easy decision for me here, Eleanor Rigby and Blackbird are two of my absolute favourites, both would be in my Top 5 Beatles songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group C

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Blackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group D

For No One
    Get Back

First match here is tough, I like both of them, and on a different day I could have just as easily voted for I'm Only Sleeping, but For No One edges it on this occasion.

Second match here is an even tougher choice, both are brilliant in their own ways, and were also probably two of my earliest introductions to The Beatles like gateway songs, but either of these could potentially make it to the final, and if I had to pick one of these two to be crowned the winner, it'd have to be Get Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group C

I like Eleanor Rigby and And Your Bird Can Sing, both from Revolver but on the whole I think ER is more deserving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group D

For No One
    Get Back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group C

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Blackbird

Group D

For No One
    Get Back

‘For No One’ vs ‘I’m Only Sleeping’ was incredibly tough. I’ve always had a thing for ‘I’m Only Sleeping’ but if I was asked which one I’d want to put on right now it’s ‘For No One’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group C

Group D

For No One vs I'm Only Sleeping - Tough one here. Paul just barely beats John here. Both great songs.

Help! vs Get Back

John did not come out well out of these songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group D

For No One vs I'm Only Sleeping
    Help! vs Get Back

These pairings were far easier to decide. For No One is in my top 5 Beatles songs. The strength of Revolver is showing with four songs in the last two matches.

Would choose Help over Get Back, Help is one of the few songs left in the competition from the earlier half of their catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group C

Eleanor Rigby

Back in the U.S.S.R

Group D

For No One

Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group C

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Back in the U.S.S.R

Group D

For No One
    Get Back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group C

Eleanor Rigby
    vs And Your Bird Can Sing

Group D

For No One
    vs I'm Only Sleeping
    Help! vs Get Back

With Levar here. Easy decisions for me in C but D could have swung either way.

Both Hey Jude and Happiness... eliminated is a big surprise, HJ losing by 10 votes is huge.

Happiness probably got as far as it was going to go IMO and it was never going to beat Walrus, but I didn't see the absolute thrashing HJ got coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Group C

Eleanor Rigby

Back in the U.S.S.R

Group D

For No One

Get Back

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Group A

I Feel Fine

She Loves You

Group B

Hey Jude

I Am The Walrus

Arghus wrote: »
    Happiness probably got as far as it was going to go IMO and it was never going to beat Walrus, but I didn't see the absolute thrashing HJ got coming.

Im genuinely surprised that Walrus has gotten this far. Its grand but too "weird" for my tastes, expected it to go in earlier rounds. Really curious to see what ends up winning out. Based on voting patterns its hard to look past For No One at this stage which would be a really cool result.

Im genuinely surprised that Walrus has gotten this far. Its grand but too "weird" for my tastes, expected it to go in earlier rounds. Really curious to see what ends up winning out. Based on voting patterns its hard to look past For No One at this stage which would be a really cool result.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps could be a dark horse, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group C
    Eleanor Rigby vs And Your Bird Can Sing - I like both of these, but there isn't really a contest.
    Back in the U.S.S.R vs Blackbird - Not hugely pushed about either of these, but Back in the USSR has a bit of life about it, and I'm a Beach Boys fan.

Group D
    For No One vs I'm Only Sleeping - Nicely narrative, and I'm not a fan of the vocal effects on I'm Only Sleeping
    Help! vs Get Back - One of their best. Plus I just don't like Get Back.

group c
    eleanor rigby
    blackbird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Group C

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Blackbird

Group D
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Get Back