Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

group f

in my life

And the first difficult choice for me as I equally like both ... LITSWD havn't forgot you my beloved furry friend but
    Come Together as it is a great jamming song to play live and for other folks to join in or even to throw odd dance shapes too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group E -

Paperback Writer vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps: I like Paperback Writer, but I don't love it. It's obviously a great rocker in its own right, but absolute upper echelon of the Beatles catalouge - no. WMGGW is straddled with a silly title and it is preachy, like a lot of George's stuff, but it is also an epic, magnificent tune, which sweeps and soars and carries you away.

Here Comes The Sun vs Got To Get You Into My Life - There's about fifty Beatles songs better than Got To Get Into My Life.

Group F -

Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds vs Come Together: Lucy is cool tune, one of the highlights of Sargent Pepper's, but it doesn't have the staying power of Come Together. It's undoubtedly amazing - the harpsichord effect on the intro, the way the chorus just explodes out at you, the general feeling of out of your gourd magic - but it's not as amazing as Come Together and, trust me, if you listen to it enough it can get tiresome.

Come Together, on the other hand, is ageless. The criticism of it being slow is fair. It is. But the groove is so dark, strong and alluring that it doesn't matter. The plod and the slow vocal phrasing give it a dark narcotic energy.

Come Together is dirty, it's mean. Lucy, in comparison, is up in the sky and lacking in vitality. And the dynamics in the song are fucking incredible: the way the band drops out so certain lines really hit: "hold you in his armchair so you can feel his disease", every element is so judiciously right on the money - McCartney's backing vocals, that little one extra flourish McCartney does on the bass at 1:25, the outstanding drumming, that repeating blues guitar lick that just gets higher and higher with great interplay with the falsetto vocals. There's about a hundred different things I think are class.

Everything is tight, the attention to detail is spot on. Sure, it's definitely influenced by earlier songs, but what's added in the execution helps it to transcend its influences. It is an absolutely excellent song. I also love how the overall vibe of disaffected grimness and cynicism is like the sound of the real reality check after all the mop-toppery and psychedelic love is done and over with. The song presages the cultural tumult of the seventies after the utopian dream of the sixties. One of the band's best songs.

Nowhere Man vs In My Life - Nothing wrong with Nowhere Man, but it's pretty meat and potatoes compared to the company it's in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Group E

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Here Comes The Sun

Group F

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
    Nowhere Man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Through to the next round.

Group E
    Paperback Writer
    Here Comes The Sun

Group F
    Come Together
    In My Life

Up Next, the Quarter Finals!

Group A

Here Comes The Sun

vs

In My Life

Get Back

vs

We Can Work It Out

Group A

Here Comes The Sun vs In My Life
    Get Back vs We Can Work It Out

• Advertisement

Group B

Come Together

vs

Paperback Writer

For No One

vs

Eleanor Rigby

Group B

Come Together vs Paperback Writer
    For No One vs Eleanor Rigby

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Through to the next round.

Group E
    Paperback Writer
    Here Comes The Sun

Group F
    Come Together
    In My Life

Up Next, the Quarter Finals!

So much for my prediction of a dark horse win for While My Guitar Gently Weeps! Very surprised to see it lose out there in that match up.

Group C

I Feel Fine

vs

Blackbird

A Day in The Life

vs

I am The Walrus

Group C

I Feel Fine vs Blackbird
    A Day in the Life vs I Am The Walrus

Arghus wrote: »
    So much for my prediction of a dark horse win for While My Guitar Gently Weeps! Very surprised to see it lose out there in that match up.

If you had asked me at the outset what would be in the final 12, maybe half of whats there would have been in my list. Very interesting to me that the most popular songs like Hey Jude, Let It Be etc didn't fare out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wait…what…Paperback Writer? Nah, man, count that again. Has to be some sort of mistake.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group A

Here Comes The Sun
    We Can Work It Out

Group B

Come Together
    For No One

Group C

Blackbird
    A Day in the Life

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group A

In My Life
    We Can Work It Out

Group B

Come Together
    Eleanor Rigby

Group C

Blackbird
    I Am The Walrus

Fairly straightforward and easy decisions for me in every match here... In My Life, Come Together, Eleanor Rigby, Blackbird, and I Am The Walrus were always in my Top 10 Beatles songs, and I've a new found love for We Can Work It Out (I always liked it, but don't think I ever gave it too much attention previously) because of this tournament, and I now hold it in the same regard as the aforementioned 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Group A

Group B

Group C

I Feel Fine vs Blackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Group A

Here Comes The Sun
    Get Back

Group B

Paperback Writer
    For No One

Group C

Blackbird
    I Am The Walrus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In My Life
    We Can Work It Out

Paperback Writer
    Eleanor Rigby

Blackbird
    A Day in the Life

I'm really surprised For no One continues its onward drive. I was delighted to hear it again and it is definitely the 're-find' of this competition for me. But while it is a lovely song, it just doesnt feel like it deserves to go further, particularly against Eleanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group A

In My Life
    We Can Work It Out

Group B

Come Together
    For No One

Group C

Blackbird
    A Day in the Life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group A

Get Back vs We Can Work It Out - That was a tough one to decide.

Group B

Come Together vs Paperback Writer - Another tough match, but the rock wins out on this occasion so John beats Paul.

For No One vs Eleanor Rigby - I have rediscovered the beauty of this song during this tournament. Otherwise, I could easily have voted for the other.

Group C

I Feel Fine vs Blackbird

A Day in the Life vs I Am The Walrus - Another tough one for me but ADITL is special.

Incidentally, I am a bit confused. Normally, quarter-finals are the last 8 - not 12 as here. The semi-finals would be the last 4 and the final would be the last 2. :confused:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group A

Here Comes The Sun
    Get Back

Group B

Come Together
    For No One

Group C

I Feel Fine
    I Am The Walrus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group A

Here Comes The Sun
    vs In My Life

Group B

Come Together
    vs Paperback Writer

Group C

I Feel Fine vs Blackbird
    A Day in the Life
    vs I Am The Walrus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group A

Group B

Group C

I Feel Fine vs Blackbird

Incidentally, I am a bit confused. Normally, quarter-finals are the last 8 - not 12 as here. The semi-finals would be the last 4 and the final would be the last 2. :confused:

Isn't there supposed to be three songs in the final? I think that is the format, so 12 - 6 - 3 would make sense.

It's down to the number of songs at the outset and how they break down after each round so we were going to be left with 3. There is a post early in the thread from someone that explains it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group A
    Here Comes The Sun vs In My Life - Piano Solos will only get you so far.
    Get Back vs We Can Work It Out - Possibly my favourite left in the comp, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group B
    Come Together vs Paperback Writer -
    For No One vs Eleanor Rigby- Bleh. I quite like For No One, but.. Eleanor Rigby has always been one of the first songs that sprung to mind when anyone mentions the Beatles. Strings and choralesque are fecking great.

Group C
    I Feel Fine vs Blackbird - I may have been mistaken about WCWIO being my favourite left. But Blackbird definitely isn't, so a very easy vote.
    A Day in the Life vs I Am The Walrus - I don't understand how IATW made it this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group A

Group B

Group C

I Feel Fine vs Blackbird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface