Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group H
    You Wont See Me vs From Me to You
    What You're Doing
    vs She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
    Day Tripper vs One After 909
    I Me Mine vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Group G

We Can Work It Out
    Love You To
    A Hard Day's Night
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Group H

From Me to You
    She Came in Through the Bathroom Window

Day Tripper
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group G
    We Can Work It Out
    I Need You
    A Hard Day's Night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Group H
    From Me to You
    She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
    Day Tripper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Group H
    You Wont See Me
    What You're Doing
    Day Tripper

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We Can Work It Out
    Love You To
    A Hard Day's Night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Group H
    You Won't See Me - Is this supposed to be a love song? Sounds to me like the lady is done with the relationship, and himself is being very persistent in trying to contact her.. Creepy much.

From Me To You - Ah now this is a love song :pac: I like this one.

What You're Doing - Dump her a$$!

She Came Through The Bathroom Window
    - What a name for a song lol.
    I looked up the lyrics and I'm still none the wiser as to what the song is about :confused:

Day Tripper - I like this one. An interesting play on words. 'She was a day tripper...One way ticket'.
    and especially considering some of their em....simpler choice of lyrics

One After 909 - It's a bit fast. And there is a bit too much chaos going on in the song, makes me feel stressed

I Me Mine - I like the sound of the song but what does 'I me mine' over and over even mean :o

Sgt Pepper - It's better than above. And it's better than the last Sgt Pepper short 'song'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I like how Sinead's choices seem to be based largely on the quality of the relationship described in the song. I'm curious as to which of their songs would be best in that regard. Maybe "Something"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

She Came Through The Bathroom Window [/B]- What a name for a song lol.
    I looked up the lyrics and I'm still none the wiser as to what the song is about :confused:

I believe it’s based on an incident where a fan broke into Paul McCartney’s house and stole a few things.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I Me Mine - I like the sound of the song but what does 'I me mine' over and over even mean :o

The song is about ego, selfishness and posessiveness and how we put ourselves at the centre of everything, so that's the I Me Mine George is referring too. One of George's best IMO.

It was the last song they worked together on as The Beatles, Lennon had left unofficially at that point and they were on the verge of splitting, for all kinds of reasons. The lyrics in the song sum up what was going on.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I like how Sinead's choices seem to be based largely on the quality of the relationship described in the song. I'm curious as to which of their songs would be best in that regard. Maybe "Something"?

yeah I realized too that I'm thinking a bit too deeply into the songs :D

If it were a modern song and I liked the beat, I probably wouldn't even notice the lyrics so much. But because these songs are before my time, and they can sound a bit dated to me, it makes me focus more on the lyrics.

I don't know how they got away with some of them- like the one where he's meeting the wife for tea, then going off to chase skirt, he's going to follow her from show to show and he doesn't care :o

what a way to get your fans to think your a gent.

But then somehow everyone was swooning over them so idk. maybe at the time they too liked the beat and overlooked the lyrics ;)

I'm curious as to which of their songs would be best in that regard. Maybe "Something"?

I liked 'Im happy just to dance with you'
    'we can work it out'
    'From me to you'

:)

Also thanks Arghus and Emmet for the explanations.

I'll have a listen back over those two and see if their meanings register with me now :)

yeah I realized too that I'm thinking a bit too deeply into the songs :D

If it were a modern song and I liked the beat, I probably wouldn't even notice the lyrics so much. But because these songs are before my time, and they can sound a bit dated to me, it makes me focus more on the lyrics.

I don't know how they got away with some of them- like the one where he's meeting the wife for tea, then going off to chase skirt, he's going to follow her from show to show and he doesn't care :o

what a way to get your fans to think your a gent.

But then somehow everyone was swooning over them so idk. maybe at the time they too liked the beat and overlooked the lyrics ;)

It's actually a reference to a British TV show of the era called Meet The Wife - and I think the song is supposed to make you think the narrator has a really boring life living for chasing skirt and watching TV - "I've got nothing to say but it's okay" - or even if it is from the point of view of one narrator, Lennon was doing loads of LSD at this point.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's actually a reference to a British TV show of the era called Meet The Wife - and I think the song is supposed to make you think the narrator has a really boring life living for chasing skirt and watching TV - "I've got nothing to say but it's okay"

Sounds like a game of Peehs so :D

or even if it is from the point of view of one narrator, Lennon was doing loads of LSD at this point.

Yep, sounds like someone was doing a lot of something with some of the songs so far :pac:

It's actually a reference to a British TV show of the era called Meet The Wife - and I think the song is supposed to make you think the narrator has a really boring life living for chasing skirt and watching TV - "I've got nothing to say but it's okay" - or even if it is from the point of view of one narrator, Lennon was doing loads of LSD at this point.

I was recently reprimanded for stating that it was the best song on ‘Sgt Peppers’. It’s up for debate, obviously, but I really like it.

Always found that ‘go to a show, you hope she goes’ reminiscent of Joyce’s short story ‘A Painful Case’. The general theme of a boring individual going about their day would also have similarities with this story.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I was recently reprimanded for stating that it was the best song on ‘Sgt Peppers’. It’s up for debate, obviously, but I really like it.

Always found that ‘go to a show, you hope she goes’ reminiscent of Joyce’s short story ‘A Painful Case’. The general theme of a boring individual going about their day would also have similarities with this story.

The best song.... I don't know. I also really like it: the impressionistic lyrics, the weird atmosphere, that sudden tempo change in the verses that gives it that giddy momentum, the drumming...

Like a lot of Beatles tunes, I could go on, there's such undying richness and amazing elements in song after song. It's an underrated song in their catalouge for sure - but would I put it above something like A Day In The Life? I wouldn't to be honest.

The best song.... I don't know. I also really like it: the impressionistic lyrics, the weird atmosphere, that sudden tempo change in the verses that gives it that giddy momentum, the drumming...

Like a lot of Beatles tunes, I could go on, there's such undying richness and amazing elements in song after song. It's an underrated song in their catalouge for sure - but would I put it above something like A Day In The Life? I wouldn't to be honest.

Yeah, my blood was up due to this gentleman calling it the worst song on the album. But I’d probably only have ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ and ‘A Day in the Life’ ahead of it.

But, again, that’s my personal preference potentially clouding my judgement.

Yeah, my blood was up due to this gentleman calling it the worst song on the album. But I’d probably only have ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ and ‘A Day in the Life’ ahead of it.

But, again, that’s my personal preference potentially clouding my judgement.

I would just welcome the chance to argue with someone about The Beatles.

• Advertisement

I would just welcome the chance to argue with someone about The Beatles.

Yeah, we quickly moved on to the discovery that side 2 of ‘Abbey Road’ was originally slated to be side 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Some of the stuff that's popular these days, you'd have to guess they don't listen to either the music or the lyrics..

Some of the stuff that's popular these days, you'd have to guess they don't listen to either the music or the lyrics..

And I bet I'm probably listening to a lot of that crap without even paying attention to the lyrics lol. And here I am shocked by some of The Beatles lyrics :pac:

Adele was someone I liked for a long time, but then copped the lyrics from 'Hello' :o It's a lovely song, but very creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Progressing to the next round (re-checked and corrected where required)

Group C
    Good Morning, Good Morning
    Get Back
    Savoy Truffle
    All I've Got To Do (tied on 9 votes each, I picked this one over Sgt Peppers Reprise)

Group D
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Golden Slumbers
    Nowhere Man
    Drive My Car

Group E
    I’m so Tired
    Good Day Sunshine
    Cry Baby Cry
    Help! (tied with Strawberry on 9 votes so I cast the deciding vote)

Group F
    I'm Down
    Glass Onion (tied on 8 with Yer Blues, deciding vote by myself.
    Hey Bulldog
    The Fool on the Hill

Group G
    We Can Work It out
    Love You To
    A Hard Day's Night

Group H
    From Me To You
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
    Day Tripper

Groups I and J to follow and apologies for the delay!

Group I

Hello Goodbye

vs

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

vs

Don't Bother Me

Maggie Mae

vs

No Reply

Eleanor Rigby

vs

Don't Pass Me By

Hello Goodbye vs I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae vs No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby vs Don't Pass Me By

Some tough choices there folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hello Goodbye
    Very Beatles.

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    Kinda reminds me of I've Got You Babe by Sonny & Cher in a way!

No Reply
    Don't like other other one at all.

Eleanor Rigby
    This one I've always found a little creepy or something but it intrigues me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group I

Hello Goodbye vs I Want You (She's So Heavy)

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me

Maggie Mae vs No Reply - Has to be their shortest song! Not one I have heard very often but I like it!

Eleanor Rigby vs Don't Pass Me By - Tempted to go for Ringo's one but I could not ignore this classic!

Group J

Girl

vs

Good Night

Ticket To Ride

vs

Thank You Girl

You're Going to Lose That Girl

vs

Helter Skelter

Mother Nature's Son

vs

Your Mother Should Know

Group J
    Girl vs Good Night
    Ticket To Ride vs Thank You Girl
    You're Going to Lose That Girl vs Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son vs Your Mother Should Know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group J

Girl vs Good Night - One of Ringo's finest moments vocally with the Beatles and a lovely tune to boot.

Ticket To Ride vs Thank You Girl

You're Going to Lose That Girl vs Helter Skelter

Mother Nature's Son vs Your Mother Should Know

• Advertisement

‘Strawberry Fields’ not getting through is criminal. The work that went into recording that song was phenomenal.

Stitching together different takes that were in different tempos, and keys, requiring an engineer to get under the desk to reduce the power getting into the console. Criminal!

Advertisement