Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hello Goodbye
    Very Beatles.

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    Kinda reminds me of I've Got You Babe by Sonny & Cher in a way!

No Reply
    Don't like other other one at all.

Eleanor Rigby
    This one I've always found a little creepy or something but it intrigues me.

Same please El Gato. Hello Goodbye is very Beatles, its probably my favourite Beatles track, or very much up there with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group I

Hello Goodbye
    No Reply
    Don't Pass Me By

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Group J

Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    Helter Skelter
    Your Mother Should Know

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

‘Strawberry Fields’ not getting through is criminal. The work that went into recording that song was phenomenal.

Stitching together different takes that were in different tempos, and keys, requiring an engineer to get under the desk to reduce the power getting into the console. Criminal!

Totally agree. Help is a good song, but it's from their early, musically simpler days and the progression from that to Strawberry Fields is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group I
    Hello Goodbye
    No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby

Group J
    Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group I

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

No Reply

Eleanor Rigby

Group J

Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group J
    Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    You're Going to Lose That Girl
    Your Mother Should Know

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

‘Strawberry Fields’ not getting through is criminal. The work that went into recording that song was phenomenal.

Stitching together different takes that were in different tempos, and keys, requiring an engineer to get under the desk to reduce the power getting into the console. Criminal!

100% Agree. Has to be a wild card

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group I

Hello Goodbye vs I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae vs No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby
    vs Don't Pass Me By

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It really wasnt a tough choice for me tbh. Its one of those songs that most seem to love but that Ive never really cared for. Technically its superb of course but its always left me a bit flat.

Help! on the other hand is just a really fun, very honest and bouncy song that I consistently find myself singing along with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group J
    Girl vs Good Night
    Ticket To Ride vs Thank You Girl
    You're Going to Lose That Girl vs Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son vs Your Mother Should Know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It really wasnt a tough choice for me tbh. Its one of those songs that most seem to love but that Ive never really cared for. Technically its superb of course but its always left me a bit flat.

Help! on the other hand is just a really fun, very honest and bouncy song that I consistently find myself singing along with.

That all makes sense and Help! is indeed all of the above. Even so, I still love the slight weirdness and the substantial nature of Strawberry Fields Forever. Two different sides of John Lennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group I

I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group I
    vs Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae vs No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby
    vs Don't Pass Me By

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group J

Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group J
    Girl
    vs Good Night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Am I going to be the only one voting for Maggie Mae in Group I and/or Good Night in Group J?? Surely not! :o:(

There's always all day tomorrow - one lives in hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me
    Maggie Mae vs No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby vs Don't Pass Me By

Girl vs Good Night

Apology not accepted and reasoning refused. Please go back and amend that post. ‘Strawberry Fields’ goes through.

If we’re doing this competition, we’re doing it right. Don’t worry, I’ll be around to intervene whenever it goes off course. Not need to thank me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Arghus wrote: »
    Group B

Something vs Till there was you - Till there was you is a cool and simple cover. The classical guitars make it and that bossa nova beat is nifty. But, Something is a way more impressive song.

The Word - If I Needed Someone - If I needed someone is a pretty cool song, very George, and its weirdly ambivalent lyrics and deliberate droning qualities help to give it character.

But, I absolutely hate Ob-la di, Ob-la-da. Let it Be was McCartney at his best, this is him at his worst. Annoying saccharine shyte. Even the way the piano sounds plasticky and fake annoys me. I love The Beatles, but I do hate that song.

If I needed someone is a great mid period fabs song, and George’s best to that point. The chiming guitars on it are terrific.

Fun fact about Ob la di Ob la da - the piano intro at the beginning was Johns, although he allegedly hated the song. They had been struggling with the intro when John came in to the studio, said, right, what are we working on, and proceeded to bash out the intro.

• Advertisement

Group H

She Came Through The Bathroom Window
    - What a name for a song lol.
    I looked up the lyrics and I'm still none the wiser as to what the song is about :confused:
    '

They had an intense group of fans who called themselves the Apple Scruffs who used to camp outside their houses. Some of them broke into Paul’s house - through the bathroom window - and helped themselves to some personal items.

I think I’m too much of a Beatle fan to read this thread fully, I’ll only annoy myself.

Apology not accepted and reasoning refused. Please go back and amend that post. ‘Strawberry Fields’ goes through.

If we’re doing this competition, we’re doing it right. Don’t worry, I’ll be around to intervene whenever it goes off course. Not need to thank me.

You are absolutely correct. Help Is ok, but it’s no Strawberry Fields.

trashcan wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct. Help Is ok, but it’s no Strawberry Fields.

I’m fairly confident that simply shouting over everyone else is the only way to see this thing done right.

Am I going to be the only one voting for Maggie Mae in Group I and/or Good Night in Group J?? Surely not! :o:(

Jaysus, Maggie Mae isn’t even a song, just a snippet, and it’s not even theirs. Why are cover versions being included ? I was right in my comment above, this thread is only annoying me, think I’ll have to depart.

I like ‘Maggie Mae’ but it’s not better than whatever it was up against. It would beat ‘Dig It’ or ‘Wild Honey Pie’ but not much else.

‘Good Night’, now there’s a song I’ve hated since I first heard it. I’ve played the White album forwards and backwards but just never warmed to it. I really don’t know why but it’s probably my least favourite Beatles song.

trashcan wrote: »
    Jaysus, Maggie Mae isn’t even a song, just a snippet, and it’s not even theirs. Why are cover versions being included ? I was right in my comment above, this thread is only annoying me, think I’ll have to depart.

It’s a tradition song, no? All album tracks, and possibly singles, are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group I:

Hello-Goodbye vs I Want You(She's So Heavy) - In many ways this is a perfect match up. Both songs are the epitome of lyrical simplicity, but yet could not be more different. Hello Goodbye is, despite its surreal touches, a nice airy McCartney number, with lovely melodies and a light feel.

On the other hand, She's So Heavy Wants to crush you to death.

She's so Heavy is my absolute number one favourite Beatles song. Musically, it's extremely unrepresentative of the band, but I think thematically it's extremely on point for Lennon. He was Mr. Brutally Honest and it doesn't get more honest than being obsessed with someone to the extent that you can't even communicate anything beyond that: extra words are useless, you'll go mad without them. And that outro - Hole-ee Fuck! - pulverising, neverending, down into the vortex of emotional obsession, until, bang... Deeply unhealthy, of course, but, fck, that's pretty real. If you prefer Hello Goodbye to that, then I respect your opinion but I know you don't really see things like I do at some fundamental level.

And the details: the bluesy feel of the opening half, the vocal hook in unison with the guitar bends, that cool as a cucumber understated guitar solo, the organ, McCartney's bass doing all kinds of neat runs and fills, the groove on the drums, the cascading harmonies, Lennon screaming his lungs out: fcking outstanding. And then the outro with the building white noise and increasingly evil sounding guitar - these same guys wrote She Loves You and I Want to Hold Your Hand and this. Think about that. C'mon, it's outrageous. This is it. This is why The Beatles were the best.

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vs Don't Bother Me - You've got to Hide Your Love Away hits you right in the feels, though I do Like Don't Bother Me.

Maggie Mae vs No Reply - Maggie Mae is endearing, but it isn't a flesh and blood song, so No Reply here. No Reply is actually a banger, I had definitely underrated it previously. Those suddenly intense parts fair explode and that middle thirty seconds with the piano bashing away and Lennon screaming his head off is great.

Eleanor Rigby vs Don't Pass Me By - Don't Pass Me By is perfectly lovely, but it's not Eleanor Rigby. Another completely groundbreaking song at the time it was released and it still kills. That pervasive sense of grey sadness, the beautiful strings, the stupidly good melodies, the oppressive feel of those double tracked vocals during the chorus. Near the very top of their best songs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group I

Hello Goodbye
    No Reply - I suspect I might be the only one voting for this, but I've never liked Eleanor Rigby.
    Don't Pass Me By

Group J

Girl - can't say I particularly like it, but the other song is awful.
    Ticket To Ride
    Helter Skelter
    Your Mother Should Know - probably the most forgettable pairing of the tournament so far, this is just marginally less meh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That all makes sense and Help! is indeed all of the above. Even so, I still love the slight weirdness and the substantial nature of Strawberry Fields Forever. Two different sides of John Lennon.

Definitely the most brutal choice so far. I voted Strawberry Fields, but I can't complain about Help getting through - it is a work of genius in its own right too. It's a bit "simpler", but every part of it is pretty much perfect. It isn't a completely inexplicable outcome like the totally forgettable Honey Pie dumping out Tomorrow Never Knows: now that was criminal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group I
    Hello Goodbye
    No Reply
    Eleanor Rigby

Group J
    Girl
    Ticket to Ride
    You're Going to Lose that Girl
    Mother Nature's Son