Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotment

Options
  • 11-04-2021 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to get an allotment around Cork city but they are full and even have waiting lists.
    I am sure the lockdown had its effect but I find the numbers of places with allotments very low for a city the size of Cork.
    The city is encouraging outdoor activities (cycling lane, parks, etc) and gardening is a good one to spend time outside for a low cost. Not everyone has a garden big enough (or a garden at all).

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Have you tried the hydro allotments out in tower? Private owned and not council but might have space http://www.allotments.ie/?p=171

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Deub wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am trying to get an allotment around Cork city but they are full and even have waiting lists.
    I am sure the lockdown had its effect but I find the numbers of places with allotments very low for a city the size of Cork.
    The city is encouraging outdoor activities (cycling lane, parks, etc) and gardening is a good one to spend time outside for a low cost. Not everyone has a garden big enough (or a garden at all).

Rant over

There's allotments well established on the road to Myrtleville, dairy farm on the left well before the girl to Myrtleville coming from Carrigaline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

Thanks both !
    I will check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think there's some by White's Cross, too.

I assume you checked the ones up from Neptune Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

There are two allotments in Ballincollig - one in Innishmore and one near Greenfields which is new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you're willing to go as far as Carrigtwohill (Google Maps says a 20 minute drive from the city) there's a farmer renting allotments. He can help you out with some of the heavy work setting it up with his machinery too, and provides free manure and harvested rainwater.

At least I think he still is - I haven't spoken to him about it in ages, but I've no reason to think he's stopped. You can find him selling veg at the farmer's market in Mahon on Thursdays if that would suit. His name is David, and somebody's posted his contact details here .

I think there's some by White's Cross, too.

I assume you checked the ones up from Neptune Stadium?

Thanks. They have a waiting list

thejuggler wrote: »
    There are two allotments in Ballincollig - one in Innishmore and one near Greenfields which is new.

I have to check as one is full but I don’t remember which one.

If you're willing to go as far as Carrigtwohill (Google Maps says a 20 minute drive from the city) there's a farmer renting allotments. He can help you out with some of the heavy work setting it up with his machinery too, and provides free manure and harvested rainwater.

At least I think he still is - I haven't spoken to him about it in ages, but I've no reason to think he's stopped. You can find him selling veg at the farmer's market in Mahon on Thursdays if that would suit. His name is David, and somebody's posted his contact details here .

Will check if it is in my list. Thanks!

Advertisement